AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-06-21, 12:08   Link #1
Onniguru

Wondering about how off-base the following statements are...

I wonder how off-base the following statements are:

(some show) started showing up (at some location) earlier than usual, and more than just normal two providers that appear week after week as well (the guy with the wmvs and the guy that thinks encoding a 24-frame per second animimation at 119* fps will somehow magically make it look better).

Section snipped for being unrelated to topic here

*He might also be using capture software that writes to a built in codec with fixed, unconfigurable compression settings. Most software with built-in codecs like this Ive found use a ridiculous level of compression; in such a case, capturing the video at 119 frames would help him, because the compressor can smooth the motion scenes in the 'in-between' frames.
Normally I try to match my FPS to that of the originally animation; normally 24 fps.
However, there have been some Nihongin on EX2 releasing material at ridiculous frame rates, and I was was wondering if they are just noobs (as though I'm some kind of expert), or if there is a method behind their madness.

Last edited by Onniguru; 2007-06-21 at 12:09. Reason: spelling
Onniguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 14:54   Link #2
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Supposedly it's for variable framerate material to be stored in AVI by using null frames. Using 119.88fps means it can be cleanly decimated to 29.97 or 23.976fps.

Why they don't simply distro the VFR is beyond me.
Old 2007-06-21, 15:11   Link #3
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Damn near all of the 120fps captures are unneeded...because the shows aren't even variable framerate! Very few even have been, and nothing lately comes to mind. Stupid cappers are stupid .
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 19:56   Link #4
Onniguru

I've been decimating by 4 for this one capper that encodes at 119 for a few weeks now, and the results look ok; the decimating doesn't appear to hurt it at all; I agree with Nicholi though...its still annoying, because I still have to download a file off EX2 that is more than twice the size it should be.

Unfortunetely, this week the choices were either Mr. 119 fps, a wmv ( I lack for a good asf converter, though even as I speak I found an old Vdub 1.4 with asf support), or another huge file that, despite its size, somehow managed to look like it had been compressed with single pass on all the lowest settings
Onniguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 21:59   Link #5
DryFire
Panda Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onniguru View Post
... another huge file that, despite its size, somehow managed to look like it had been compressed with single pass on all the lowest settings
That's probably the reason why it's so large (odds are it's a CQ pass).

There seems to be a max file size where after that the capper has no idea wtf he's doing.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 07:13   Link #6
jfs
Aegisub dev

To handle ASF (WMV) files, use GraphEdit. Connect the ASF source filter to Haali's Matroska Muxer, then you get an MKV file which there are a few reliable solutions to handle in Avisynth. You can also create a timecodes file for it, of course.
At least this works in theory

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote