AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-10, 06:26   Link #381
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
That wasn't through her own powers, actually.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2010-03-10, 08:31   Link #382
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

SSHHHHH stopdisprovingmypoint><
Old 2010-03-10, 11:42   Link #383
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Yuki can convert a thing as long as the process is within her "bandwidth".For something larger she must either get a clearance from her master or "borrow" the power from Haruhi?
Old 2010-03-11, 09:32   Link #384
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
mm, that about sums it up.

She managed to give herself emotions and basically change everything, without removing them entirely, now didn't she? XD
Actually, she did create data from nothing (using Haruhi's powers). She brought back Asakura, didn't see? And perhaps her awesome oden too...

Interestingly, I never understood how Yuki managed to steal the power from Haruhi. As I recall, the explanation given was that Haruhi lost control of her powers while in Closed Space, and Yuki was able to nab it. Anyone have an explanation for how she managed to do that?

Last edited by edkedkedk; 2010-03-11 at 09:36. Reason: Asakura love
Old 2010-03-11, 12:20   Link #385
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
Actually, she did create data from nothing (using Haruhi's powers). She brought back Asakura, didn't see? And perhaps her awesome oden too...
But Asakura was never completely obliterated. Law of conservation, remember? The person Asakura was changed into something completely unrecognizable and the data scattered, I believe with rules put in place to not allow the IDTE-self to reconstruct it or re-enter.
Old 2010-03-12, 06:12   Link #386
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
But Asakura was never completely obliterated. Law of conservation, remember? The person Asakura was changed into something completely unrecognizable and the data scattered, I believe with rules put in place to not allow the IDTE-self to reconstruct it or re-enter.
Quite right. I believe when a IDTE member is "killed", they merely have their connections to their physical body severed, and yeah the body of Asakura probably turned into a tree or a chair. The "soul" of Asakura is probably in the IDTE, which I imagine is some sort of Hive Mind like the Borg is.

And Disappearance related stuff are probably spoilers, I think. So to be safe:

Spoiler for The Disappearance:
Old 2010-03-19, 10:10   Link #387
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Has anyone ever thought that before Asakura was "deleted" , She prepares food for Yuki.? Yuki is seen buying food after the deletion but before that, I think no one seen her bought any food
Old 2010-03-20, 06:04   Link #388
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
Has anyone ever thought that before Asakura was "deleted" , She prepares food for Yuki.? Yuki is seen buying food after the deletion but before that, I think no one seen her bought any food
Who knows? Before that, we only see Yuki outside of the classroom when she drops the bomb on Kyon (so presumably she has bought tea), and inside her house during BLR on Tanabata 3ya, so there's not much of a frame of reference.
Old 2010-03-20, 17:08   Link #389
Othello~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post

Spoiler for The Disappearance:
To me I thought that their memory's were replaced or altered. They are still a time traveler, Esper, Alien, except that their memory of being one was erased. I'm not to sure though.

Anyway, hi I'm new.
Old 2010-03-20, 18:16   Link #390
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Since Yuki tries to keep the personality of everyone as intact as possible in alt!Universe, I would say it's a very high chance of that happening. Of course, this would then lead on to the theory that the whole fight between the two was staged by the DITE.

Although we know Yuki logically should be competent enough to cook for herself, you never know, maybe Kimidori took over Asakura's role after she was deleted and is now cooking meals for Yuki (who's a notoriously big eater).
Old 2010-03-21, 23:39   Link #391
Tabasco

Quote:
Although we know Yuki logically should be competent enough to cook for herself, you never know, maybe Kimidori took over Asakura's role after she was deleted and is now cooking meals for Yuki (who's a notoriously big eater).
She is?

I was under the impression she made her drinks vanish with inhuman speed when she wished, but I don't remember that particular trait.

As for the rest, I figured that the two options explaining how that fight went down were that either Asakura was a flaming incompetent, or she was playing for the fans (read: Kyon) The only thing that dissuades me from thinking that is Kuyoh's arrival on the scene, proving that there are in fact other factions of Data Entities running around, so that part of Ryoko's story checks out now.

I'm not sure how else to resolve the problem, unless Kyon has some sort of resistance to data manipulation that we've never been told about.
Old 2010-03-22, 02:47   Link #392
Grahf616
High Saint of Asakuraism
*Author

To go back a couple of tangents (sorry if that's a problem). I have to say that I don't really think that the Asakura that was brought back in Disappearance is the same one that was originally around.

I always thought of it in terms of alt!Asakura being a manifestation of all the desires of Yuki in that universe: someone to look after and protect her. Asakura is basically her guardian in that universe, but also represents the negative traits of it as well, that being selfishness. So even though Yuki wanted to give Kyon a choice, part of her somewhere deep down probably didn't, and so that got transferred to Ryoko, who acted not only on that, but on a twisted version of the guardianship that she was assigned.

---

As for food, according to the novels Yuki can at least drink like a champ, and although it's implied that she could probably eat all she wants of just about whatever she wants, she eats normal portions, just in a noticeably efficient manner.
Old 2010-03-22, 11:42   Link #393
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
She is?

I was under the impression she made her drinks vanish with inhuman speed when she wished, but I don't remember that particular trait.

As for the rest, I figured that the two options explaining how that fight went down were that either Asakura was a flaming incompetent, or she was playing for the fans (read: Kyon) The only thing that dissuades me from thinking that is Kuyoh's arrival on the scene, proving that there are in fact other factions of Data Entities running around, so that part of Ryoko's story checks out now.

I'm not sure how else to resolve the problem, unless Kyon has some sort of resistance to data manipulation that we've never been told about.
She polishes off her food and drinks with amazing speed, yes, but she also eats a lot (if what I remember is correct). Which is why in Snowy Mountain Syndrome, when she barely touched the food Kyon notices something is majorly wrong with her. Then again, maybe her stomach is a bottomless pit that can instantly convert anything she eats into data, so she'll never get full.

The DITE is very different from Kuyoh's Sky Canopy Dominion (who actually comes up with these translated names, anyway?). I would think that, to secure Kyon's trust in Yuki and through her the DITE, the fight might have been staged for Kyon to jump over to Yuki's side as soon as possible, before the SCD can do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahf616 View Post
To go back a couple of tangents (sorry if that's a problem). I have to say that I don't really think that the Asakura that was brought back in Disappearance is the same one that was originally around.

I always thought of it in terms of alt!Asakura being a manifestation of all the desires of Yuki in that universe: someone to look after and protect her. Asakura is basically her guardian in that universe, but also represents the negative traits of it as well, that being selfishness. So even though Yuki wanted to give Kyon a choice, part of her somewhere deep down probably didn't, and so that got transferred to Ryoko, who acted not only on that, but on a twisted version of the guardianship that she was assigned.
That's basically what I think Asakura's role is too. I think I mentioned it somewhere here before, but I'll just repeat it again then heh. The rational part of Yuki still exists when she created the Disappearance world, leaving Kyon with the choice of going back to the 'real' world or not. However, just as irrational as she is when creating alt!Universe, she created Asakura to try and desperately safeguard what she perceives as her dream world; a world where she doesn't have to suffer silently under Haruhi, a world where she doesn't have to witness the struggles for power between the factions, and a world where she can freely have emotions.

Do I think Yuki wants the world so badly that she can kill Kyon for it? No, I don't. However, the baser instincts of Asakura probably brought about that reaction (after suffering the rage of all who says she's incompetent!), and went a step further in stabbing Kyon. Remember, this Asakura is still human, as with all other characters in alt!Universe. None of her alien loyalty or missions. But still, humans, as we all know, are capable of killing at the drop of a hat.
Old 2010-03-25, 14:13   Link #394
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

I think in the SMS, it is said that Yuki's hand to mouth movement is decreased by half....
Well.... she is a fast eater... Idk about the big part though....
Old 2010-04-04, 07:55   Link #395
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
I think in the SMS, it is said that Yuki's hand to mouth movement is decreased by half....
Well.... she is a fast eater... Idk about the big part though....
I can't check right now, but if my memory serves me correctly, it says that Yuki didn't even touch the food at all. Anyone available with that text to confirm?
Old 2010-04-04, 08:04   Link #396
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
I can't check right now, but if my memory serves me correctly, it says that Yuki didn't even touch the food at all. Anyone available with that text to confirm?
From the fan translations provided by B-T:
Spoiler:

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-04-04, 08:14   Link #397
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
From the fan translations provided by B-T:
Perfect. Reliable as always, Koizumi-megax

'Ferocious appetite' can be translated to a big appetite, I guess...
Old 2010-06-30, 04:06   Link #398
night_sentinel

Endless Eight and Disappearance

Hello guys, since I can’t watch the movie, I kinda re-watched the two whole seasons of Haruhi without stop and kinda paid attention to endless eight ... much to my surprise I actually managed to sit through it and enjoyed it quite well … its kinda fun in a way looking for the subtle and not so subtle difference. But, I’m not here to wax lyrical about endless eight. The focus of this post is the fact I noticed that Bamboo Rhapsody episode happened before endless eight. It was even much more noticeable if you watch season 2 alone.

Now, I believe this is a big deal since most believes that endless eight is the main reason for disappearance. Many believed that Yuki was so bored of repeating the same 2 weeks for roughly 594 years and thus wished for a world where everything is normal and she has freedom to do as she wished. I do believe that this is true, but after rewatching I believe this is not the only reason that disappearance happened. I would even like to state that in a way disappearance is the reason for endless eight exists or at least one of the culprit.

The important clue here is Yuki synchronized with herself but only until the Tabanata 3 years forward. After the bamboo rhapsody episode, Yuki no longer has much foreknowledge about the future except disappearance in which she knows that she’ll go astray but not the actual cause of it. Then, endless eight happened, wherein the present is stuck in a groundhog loop – time itself is not going to go forward. The S.O.S brigade cannot do anything about it since beside Yuki most of the time they are unaware that a loop is even happening and Yuki will not break the loop itself since according to her she is only here to observe.

Yuki’s reason for not breaking and telling the rest what is happening is technically true, observing Haruhi is her function, but really we already have enough evidences that Yuki does not strictly follow that. If observing is her only function then any result will be fine for her but, Yuki actively safeguards the brigade and helps ensure the best possible scenario from happening. Of course, this could be tacked on as additional duties she took on as part of her observation duties, but breaking the loop could also constitute this. If Yuki really is bored out of her mind and wants the loop to be broken she’ll do something about it and pass it to the IDTE as there are no more new data happening, thus needing some proactive action. But, Yuki despite being bored out of her mind did not do anything - meaning something is stopping her which is the knowledge of disappearance ….

Let us put ourselves in Yuki’s shoes for a minute, we know that we will do an error in the future but is unable to stop the error from actually occurring. As time passes by, she get closer to committing the error and her foreknowledge of the future is gone. Soon, Yuki knows something will cause her to change her current mindset and make her go astray. That is probably a very scary possibility and she must have been trying very hard to prevent it to no avail. And then, time began to continually loop around her, no one is actually getting hurt and the IDTE is still getting their data. Thus, Yuki allows the loop to continue with minimum interference in her part. No matter how much boredom Yuki will get from undergoing this loop, it is familiar and safe and as long that time is looping disappearance won’t happen.

The sad thing about this is it’s because of endless eight that Yuki got those errors that caused said disappearance. Thus, by trying to prevent disappearance from happening endless eight occurred which made disappearance happen. When you think about it, is it no wonder Yuki sealed the ability to synchronize...
Old 2010-07-01, 02:14   Link #399
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

The problem is that we can safely assume, although it's not explicitly stated, that Yuki does know at least the when (at least approximately), due to the bookmark Kyon handed her, and however much else information Future!Yuki was able to piggyback on that bookmark. And she as much as says that she knew it was coming and why. She just couldn't do anything about it.
Old 2010-07-02, 05:19   Link #400
night_sentinel

Hi quigonkenny,

I think the emergency escape program – bookmark, does not have the memories of what happened after Tanabata except giving her past self the knowledge that yes your future self is the cause of this and yes your also the one who gave Kyon the way out . And remember when past Yuki attempted to synchronize with her future astray self it was denied by her future self by some sort of shielding. Unless Yuki synchronized another time that Kyon is not aware of which is 50/50 due to the fact that further synchronization will make Yuki vulnerable to the errors that future Yuki will accumulate.

Thus, I believe that Yuki has an idea of what happened in disappearance and even when but, does not know more than that. Yuki knows she will cause that time quake and knows its due erroneous errors that will build up. Yuki also knows any event that Kyon briefly narrated when he is explaining the situation is and maybe endless eight is one of those, who knows?

Anyway whether, Yuki knows endless eight or not, the loops are excellent way of gathering information and preventing disappearance from happening. Assuming that the past months in the SOS brigade Yuki has not figured it out. Yuki will then not help in breaking the loop since it gives her more time to figure out how to prevent herself from going astray. Thus, explaining her inaction this time and due to this, those two weeks looped that many times since with Yuki’s help, Kyon and the others would probably be able to figure it out before the loop reached hundred digits or even ten.

Yuki will actively prevent disappearance because her current self does not want it to happen. Even if disappearance already happened, Yuki will not simply cause it just because she in the future caused it. This is because of a belief of Yuki that was first shown in this particular novel. According to her own words, no one can guarantee that something that hasn’t happened will ever occur. This meant that despite everything Yuki does not believe in predetermined events.

It’s actually an interesting quirk, if you think about it. This means despite being linked to a dictatorial IDTE that dictates her life’s purpose, having a non-linear concept of time which perhaps made her feel a puppet at times and above all the disappearance where she tries to prevent something and it happened anyway. Yuki still firmly believes in free will.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters