AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2010-06-12, 20:04   Link #1701
Chupps

It's just my point of view, along with my understanding of the series, that suicide is not a conclusion the strong willed rush to. Regardless of her troubles and Mao's manipulation, her judgment seemed to display a weakness of her character. When you say words like 'Ordinary', 'Average', 'Everyone'. I think that 'they' would cling to life through all it's trials and tribulations.
Chupps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 20:17   Link #1702
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Than I completely agree. The strong don't rush to suicide. But there is a middle place between the weak and the strong. We are simply stating our views and trying to understand one another. Very nice to be civilized. I doubt I could change the view you have, so I'll simply respect it. Since I agree with the portion of it.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 20:27   Link #1703
Chupps

Civilized indeed. It goes without saying i'll respect yours. Being average Shirley would have probably fallen into the "middle place between the weak and strong". Not being weak she did not complete the act, and being not strong she didn't initially reject it but needed help to get out of it - Lelouch.
Old 2010-06-13, 02:38   Link #1704
azul120

Shirley had basically been Mind Raped. She had been mentally violated in the worst way, after her father had been killed and she learned her big crush was the one responsible, and she had been pressured into turning him in, something she didn't agree to. Her life had started becoming one big Deus Angst Machina.

If you call her weak for crumbling apart, you might as well do the same for every broken rape victim in existence. And only a fool would do that, needless to say.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 06:58   Link #1705
Chupps

You've foolishly generalized " every broken rape victim in existence " who I'm sure didn't all commit suicide. I'm fairly certain the majority don't commit suicide.
Old 2010-06-13, 10:59   Link #1706
Gordy Lechance

Wanted to get this out of my system before getting TOO off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
(You want to rag on someone? Do it to Charles. He wanted to make an instrumentality COVERED in blood. That is no instrumentality I'd want. Or peace for the that matter. Which is why I dislike ZR.)
Refreshing to FINALLY see somebody else agreeing with this.

The way Lerouch saved the world was not only cowardly and dishonorable in the short run, but also DEEPLY damaged the moral fiber of the world.

What sort of a martha-fudging example is he setting for the children of the next generation? That one is allowed to be as ruthless, cowardly and worst of all dishonorable as long as the final results are noble?

A true savior unselfishly bears the weight of the world's sadness on his shoulders and his own shoulders alone, and never sinks to the depths of the evil he fights by facing it with courage and HONOR, so NOBODY else but him alone will ever need to cry ever again. And Lerouch actually finds time to LAUGH at the destruction and misery he caused just so his baby sister can smile, that demon!!

Take notes from THIS man Lerouch. THIS is how

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqDoh...elated#t=6m40s

a world should be saved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0MpG...elated#t=1m37s (Watch until 4:04. Pay special attention, "Baby-Lulu", to how similar you and your father's ideology are very similar to that of the villain in the flashback between 1:37 and 2:00)

NOT through your selfish, blood-drenched lies, thank you very much.

Better that a world is destroyed than have it be saved without honor.

Let's hope the protagonist of the next series (The Japanese Warrior in the upcoming sequel/sidequel) does a more heroic job than you did.

Having gotten that out of the system.

Back on topic.

Finally started the Shirley-chan and Nunnally-chan paper-crane themed artwork!! Should have the "Pencil Lines" layer completed by tomorrow night. Yay!!

Then comes the painful day long process of coloring, erasing, shading, lighting... oh fudge, the things I do for the love of cuddly and sweet fictional girls.

Last edited by Gordy Lechance; 2010-06-13 at 11:16.
Gordy Lechance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 17:46   Link #1707
Xander

To keep this as on-topic as possible...I'd say that Shirley herself would probably disagree with that description of Lelouch.

And rightfully so, as a matter of fact, though I won't elaborate on Lelouch here. Suffice to say that he is a flawed character, by all means, but his mindset is different from that of Charles in a few important yet often overlooked respects.

Now, I don't think Shirley would have wanted Lelouch to do what he did, to say the least, but I feel she would be far more understanding, to a greater or lesser extent, particularly if she had survived the events of R2 episode 13.

Not just because the poor girl was in love with him, I must stress, but also because Shirley managed to gain a certain amount of insight into the nature of Lelouch's personality, even though she failed to gain access to many of the details of his other life and the dangers surrounding it. Alas, it's interesting to think about what could have been but there's little that can be done.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 19:13   Link #1708
azul120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupps View Post
You've foolishly generalized " every broken rape victim in existence " who I'm sure didn't all commit suicide. I'm fairly certain the majority don't commit suicide.
Not all of them, but many are pushed near or past that breaking point. And really, they can't be faulted for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post
Wanted to get this out of my system before getting TOO off topic.

Refreshing to FINALLY see somebody else agreeing with this.

The way Lerouch saved the world was not only cowardly and dishonorable in the short run, but also DEEPLY damaged the moral fiber of the world.

What sort of a martha-fudging example is he setting for the children of the next generation? That one is allowed to be as ruthless, cowardly and worst of all dishonorable as long as the final results are noble?

A true savior unselfishly bears the weight of the world's sadness on his shoulders and his own shoulders alone, and never sinks to the depths of the evil he fights by facing it with courage and HONOR, so NOBODY else but him alone will ever need to cry ever again. And Lerouch actually finds time to LAUGH at the destruction and misery he caused just so his baby sister can smile, that demon!!

Take notes from THIS man Lerouch. THIS is how

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqDoh...elated#t=6m40s

a world should be saved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0MpG...elated#t=1m37s (Watch until 4:04. Pay special attention, "Baby-Lulu", to how similar you and your father's ideology are very similar to that of the villain in the flashback between 1:37 and 2:00)

NOT through your selfish, blood-drenched lies, thank you very much.

Better that a world is destroyed than have it be saved without honor.

Let's hope the protagonist of the next series (The Japanese Warrior in the upcoming sequel/sidequel) does a more heroic job than you did.

Having gotten that out of the system.

Back on topic.

Finally started the Shirley-chan and Nunnally-chan paper-crane themed artwork!! Should have the "Pencil Lines" layer completed by tomorrow night. Yay!!

Then comes the painful day long process of coloring, erasing, shading, lighting... oh fudge, the things I do for the love of cuddly and sweet fictional girls.
Lelouch did Zero Requiem mainly because he had been pushed beyond the Despair Event Horizon, following Nunnally's apparent demise, and the Black Knights betraying him. I blame Mr. Swiss Messenger himself, Ohgi, and his groupie, Vile-etta Snu-snu.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 02:10   Link #1709
Escapaide

Let me start off by saying that I am a huge Shirley x Lelouch fan and have even made AMVs on the subject.

Now, I have a question for all of you experts. Was Shirley's portion of the R2 Complete Guidebook ever translated into English, and if it was, can I please get a link?

I know that the guidebook said that C.C. never yearned to be a lover to Lelouch and he didn't see her romantically, and that Kallen (although a very close allie and valuable team member) was ultimately unable to capture Lelouch's romantic feelings.

So now I am curious what the book says about Shirley.
Escapaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 03:35   Link #1710
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapaide View Post
Let me start off by saying that I am a huge Shirley x Lelouch fan and have even made AMVs on the subject.

Now, I have a question for all of you experts. Was Shirley's portion of the R2 Complete Guidebook ever translated into English, and if it was, can I please get a link?

I know that the guidebook said that C.C. never yearned to be a lover to Lelouch and he didn't see her romantically, and that Kallen (although a very close allie and valuable team member) was ultimately unable to capture Lelouch's romantic feelings.

I personally don't have a link to a translation, but I'm pretty sure they never said anything about Shirley capturing Lelouch's romantic interest. I believe it was always meant for Lelouch's romantic feelings (if any) for Shirley and Kallen to be ambiguous.

I'd love to see the AMVs you made though.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 14:30   Link #1711
Escapaide

I agree with you there. I love C.C. as a character and partner for Lelouch, but as a romantic interest, not so much. I have nothing against shippers though as long as they don't mind my Shirlulu opinions. xD

I love Kallen too, but I feel like Lelouch was already too set on his business and much too traumatized for those kinds of emotions at the point when she kissed him to consider anything more.

Well my account is allipwns on youtube. ^^ One video is specifically Shirlulu, and the other two have snippets of Shirlulu moments.
I do plan on making more, too.
/shameless self advertisement xD;
Old 2010-06-24, 16:04   Link #1712
Escapaide

Ooh, a music video thread. I'll go check that out. I'm very new to this site. ^_^

And critique would be great. I'm well aware that I'm no professional, it's just a side hobby. But I'm grateful just for anyone who wants to watch them.
Old 2010-06-28, 17:41   Link #1713
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapaide View Post

Urgh. What you said about Kallen is wrong, this thing was never said.
Kallen's answer about Lelouch is "kinda" while C.C. is "no".
About Shirley, they didn't even bother. You have a "what if" with the reincarnation thing but that's about it.

In the same time, Shirley was a secondary character and she died early, with the huge cast we can hardly blame authors for not working hard on everything Shirley related.
In the end, more attention has gone to Rolo, ironically.

Lolipopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 20:18   Link #1714
Escapaide

I apologize if I offended you-- I can only go with what I have read in fan translations and the one I read just so happened to discount Kallen's romance with Lelouch. I'm not a translator.

I think that Shirley had to be a minor character. I ultimately think that the writers never intended to have a main love interest for Lelouch work out for him in the end because that was not included in his major goals / plot of the show. So it's suitable for someone who likes Shirley to believe that his love interest would, by assumption, be a minor character who
Spoiler:

I do not discount any opposing ships at all. I love Kallen. I can only go with what I have heard when it comes to translations.
Old 2010-06-29, 23:12   Link #1715
Kittenlady

That's why I think Shirley is the closest thing there was to a proper love interest. This isn't supposed to be a romantic show, so yeah, I thought the romantic aspects dying with Shirley was a rather apt symbolism.

The translation I read for that thingy also said Lelouch didn't have romantic feelings for anyone in particular, but I think it's better if fans interpret things their own way. They should leave things like that completely ambiguous, so I think they really shot themselves in the foot with the C.C. - Lelouch revelation. Regardless of what they intended, they fucked up if they wanted their relationship irrevocably platonic. I prefer them platonic, actually, but it could easily be interpreted as romantic. /lol off-topic

People should just think what they like. And preferably not bash each other in the process, but hahaha like that's going to happen.
Kittenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 13:54   Link #1716
ginran
~Smile~

It's a day late, but Happy belated birthday to Shirley!

Thanks to Yuka-Chan for the sig!
ginran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 18:51   Link #1717
Nobodyman9
Banned

Ooh, I had completely forgotten about Shirley's birthday. Yes, happy belated birthday Shirley!
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 19:08   Link #1718
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
happy B-day Shirley
Old 2010-07-09, 20:32   Link #1719
Lost Cause

Happy Birthday Shirley!!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 00:51   Link #1720