Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-12-20, 21:38   Link #1
Kawaii Desu Ne?

TvTropes

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

Also known as a horrible addiction.
It has a good portion of character archetypes, settings, and all of the jazz that story usually comes with.
Kawaii Desu Ne? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 23:29   Link #2
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Aye. But for the example it uses, it pays to read up further. Not all entries are accurate.
Old 2010-12-21, 04:57   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Like any wiki.. the credibility and accuracy vary considerably from page to page depending on the topic's authors.
Old 2010-12-21, 06:13   Link #4
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I prefer to check the So Bad It's Horrible pages to see how bad a work in a given media can get. Otherwise, I feel a mix of sadness, hate and anger when it tries to take a work, and dissect it into a fucking grocery list of Tropes Capitalized Like That, and it is made worse when it fucking bleed outside the site itself and when random guy comes to me and tell me "yo I gonna write a story about a Five Man Band, it will have The Mario, The Lancer, The Big Guy, The Smart Guy and The Lady of War, the bad guy gonna be a Complete Monster with a slice of Magnificent Bastard, etc..." at that point interest goes into the negatives and I do a lot of efforts to not punch the guy in the face, instead I'd answer something like, "Dude, just fucking write your fucking story and fuck TV tropes."
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 10:17   Link #5
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Despite being in the TvTropes social group on this forum I actually kinda agree with the above post. I do find it interesting to read what tropes people consider to be present in some of my favorite works, but I get the impression a lot of people can't even see past that list of tropes anymore and it becomes what defines the work for them. In fact I've actually seen a couple posts on this forum where instead of discussing a series in their own words they just quote a bunch of tropes that they think apply. I kinda feel like classifying every little thing as a trope limits critical thinking pretty severely when taken too far.

That said, I still love the site for entertainment value and will continue to waste a ton of time there.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 10:29   Link #6
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

My view is that what makes an enjoyable experience is how the trope is played out. We know it's there, but darn, if it's well executed, I'll buy it.
Old 2010-12-21, 10:58   Link #7
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I don't think I personally would ever be able to enjoy anything looking at it that way. I judge a work based on how it made me feel, not on how good its execution of Generic Trope Name was. To me, doing that would feel like I was ruining the story and turning it into a laundry list, and basing a good deal of my opinion on a rigid list of definitions made by someone else. And in reverse, to use the example from Sheba's post, I think an author who writes a work as a collection of archetypes with names instead of characters they care about that may happen to have traits in line with those archetypes is kinda missing the point entirely.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 18:33   Link #8
GreatTeacherKen

It's an amusing site and some of its trope pages have made me interested in watching/reading some series that I overlooked like Heroic Age, which I missed out on when it came out a few years ago.

So I mainly peruse the site as a way to get information about series I otherwise haven't heard of.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 19:17   Link #9
cohen

The Yugioh pages are very interesting, since I know the person who makes and edits them/
Old 2010-12-21, 19:42   Link #10
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Although I disagree with some of the assessments, it's still an entertaining site overall.
Old 2010-12-21, 20:51   Link #11
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I don't think I personally would ever be able to enjoy anything looking at it that way. I judge a work based on how it made me feel, not on how good its execution of Generic Trope Name was. To me, doing that would feel like I was ruining the story and turning it into a laundry list, and basing a good deal of my opinion on a rigid list of definitions made by someone else. And in reverse, to use the example from Sheba's post, I think an author who writes a work as a collection of archetypes with names instead of characters they care about that may happen to have traits in line with those archetypes is kinda missing the point entirely.
I guess I didn't make it clear. What I meant was the use of such tropes unknowingly. Kinda like Dr. Viktor Frankl's observation that to get something (in his examples, success and happiness, in our case "good" tropes?), you cannot work consciously towards it. Instead, do something else and those other stuff will come naturally. Same for good stories.
Old 2010-12-21, 23:07   Link #12
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Ah, TvTropes. The many, many hours of my life I've wasted surfing through that site and reading all of the different pages. I have to say, I haven't regretted a single moment of it. Very entertaining, interesting site, even if sometimes I disagree with the entries listed as examples.
Old 2010-12-21, 23:19   Link #13
cohen

TVTropes proves once again how up to date it is. This series was announced a week ago.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph....Yu-Gi-OhZexal
Old 2010-12-22, 01:01   Link #14
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I read TVTropes for shits and giggles.... doesn't everyone read it for that purpose? There's plenty of bullshit with just enough truth to make it funny and not completely irrelevant.
Old 2010-12-23, 04:00   Link #15
Seitsuki
Onee!

Actually I find it can pretty informative. These days, when checking up on some new series or game TVTropes is used for consideration as much as more conventional means like wikipedia or review sites. For me I find it reassuring to browse through the lists and see if some of the things I like are liable to be there (sure some articles are way to bloated and some are definitely not given enough love, but overall there's a sense of completion). That said I do have to agree, if you get saturated in the lore enough every time you go through a show there's a real possibility you'll end up thinking things like "oh there's an example of Trope X" or "they tried to pull off a Y but they didn't do it very well" (which sometimes does happen with me). It kind of diminishes the show, marginalising it's merits and rendering it into some sort of list of cliches (which, if you take the definition as being "something which has been done before" it is). Nonetheless, also undeniably, very fun. And you guys should join said group. <3
Old 2010-12-23, 11:01   Link #16
Jao
panchi~

I really really hate the total flamboyant disregard that some contributors throw around the term 'Deconstruction' with.

No, Gundam 00 is not a deconstruction of SEED. Just no.
No, Berserk is not a deconstruction of fantasy. It's been a genre for decades and it's called 'Dark fantasy'.
No, Bioshock isn't a deconstruction of Objectivism. The argument falls apart when you reach 'And then they genetically manufactured superpower drugs'.

There are other tropes they have which are either clearly defined genres or literary techniques, where some person thinking they're clever pulls a lot of breezy wikiwords out their ass and sodomizes critical and detailed analysis.

But deconstruction is the worst.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Jao is offline   Reply With Quote