Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-25, 06:39   Link #19201
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Maybe if online reader and scanlators were willing to withdraw the scanlated chapters once they are officially released -as we do here-, it would be better.

Publishers need to adapt themselves too, putting the first 10 chapters of long manga (or the first volume) online and for free would allow people to read it and see if they like it or no. Though I don't know how much a manga costs in US, I perfectly know that nobody want to put 8.5€ in a book they don't even know if they will like it or hate it.
People want translated manga on the same day it's released in Japan. Scanlators provide that service right now, but it just means that there's a huge untapped digital market waiting for some entrepreneur to make millions off of. The only way to 'get out' of this rut is for the Manga industry to abandon print and go purely digital.

Of course, nobody likes change, and that's why it's only going to get worse before it gets better.
Old 2012-01-25, 07:37   Link #19202
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
LITTLE ROCK, Ark, Jan 23 (Reuters) - A cat belonging to an Arkansas Democratic campaign manager was found dead on Sunday night with the word "Liberal" spray-painted across its side, the campaign manager said.

The cat was a pet of Jake Burris, who manages Democrat Ken Aden's bid for Arkansas' 3rd Congressional District. Aden is running against incumbent Republican Representative Steve Womack.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1224607.html

To kill a cat to make such a statement... DECENCY is not in their vocabulary apparently.
Old 2012-01-25, 07:59   Link #19203
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

What goes on in the mind of a sniper?

Scottish independence: The American perspective

Fascinating read.
Old 2012-01-25, 08:22   Link #19204
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
People want translated manga on the same day it's released in Japan. Scanlators provide that service right now, but it just means that there's a huge untapped digital market waiting for some entrepreneur to make millions off of. The only way to 'get out' of this rut is for the Manga industry to abandon print and go purely digital.

Of course, nobody likes change, and that's why it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

Going completely digital as in no paper manga does not fully function as long as there are people who buy them that either have no compter (or perhaps just no internet) or people want to read something without a computer or someplace were they might not have a computer (either for personal or practical reasons).

Some people are physical minded. They have to be able to touch something, or own something. Some people buy on impulse and window shop. And until home printers can print and bind a copy of a manga, there will be a market for printed media.

Some people like to be away from computers and yet still read.
Old 2012-01-25, 08:28   Link #19205
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
If I had the time and money I would go get that book. Meanwhile, here is another interesting read.

And the Navy SEALS did it again :

Somalia: Western hostages freed in US military raid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy SEALS
The only easy day was yesterday.
I bet they drop only half a fireteam armed with pistols.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-01-25, 08:48   Link #19206
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

To kill a cat to make such a statement... DECENCY is not in their vocabulary apparently.
Decency and courrage.
Old 2012-01-25, 09:33   Link #19207
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Decency and courrage.
The guy who did this should be stripped naked and painted with the words facist using hot wax.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-01-25, 16:33   Link #19208
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post

Meh. It's not just about change. At least, converting a whole industry to the digital way isn't as trivial as you make it seem.

Completely digital - or at least primarily so - comics (webcomics, if you will) exist. As I think we here all know. And how many people really make a living off them? How many artists? It's not everyone that can be Penny Arcade.

That's not to say that magazines like Jump won't die out, to be replaced by web sites. I think some experiments like that - where a manga is first shown on the web, and then sold as a tank - already exist. But I am worried about how many people will be able to have "mangaka" as a dayjob in the future. And how many of those will be able to afford assistants and whatever the hell else they need to produce in both quality and quantity.
Old 2012-01-25, 20:03   Link #19209
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Apple CEO faces first test with massive cash mountain
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80P00K20120126
Old 2012-01-25, 20:26   Link #19210
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Apple CEO faces first test with massive cash mountain
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80P00K20120126
Smartest thing the New CEO could do is ignore Wall Street.
Old 2012-01-26, 07:10   Link #19211
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Afghan army's night raiders ready to take control
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80O16B20120125
Old 2012-01-27, 01:27   Link #19212
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Indigenous leaders criticise 'disrespect' to Gillard
Old 2012-01-27, 02:18   Link #19213
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

I don't even understand why some people hate liberals. The only ones I think are bad are the extreme ones, and they are better than the ultra conservatives, I'd say.
Old 2012-01-27, 02:39   Link #19214
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmmm, why is this being reported now I wonder?

Quote:
Israel senses bluffing in Iran's retaliation threats
Intelligence estimates play important role in decision on possible military strike

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46158130/
Yet at the same time this comes out:
Quote:

How Iran could thump superior US military
Iranian navy could wreak havoc with mines, swarms of small boats

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46153067...ience_monitor/

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-01-27 at 03:00.
Old 2012-01-27, 06:03   Link #19215
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Special Report: In Mekong, Chinese murders and bloody diplomacy
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80Q00G20120127

Chevron to face charges over Brazil spill
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80P22M20120126

The one percent war
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80Q02920120127
Old 2012-01-27, 06:07   Link #19216
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I don't even understand why some people hate liberals. The only ones I think are bad are the extreme ones, and they are better than the ultra conservatives, I'd say.
Some of the more extreme hatred of "liberals" is rooted in racism. Complaints about how liberals and Democrats use redistributive policies to benefit the "undeserving poor" often derive from an unspoken belief that African-Americans are lazy, shiftless, etc. Having a black President has only exacerbated this problem. Gingrich's comments about Obama being the "food-stamp" President appeal directly to racist attitudes. The entire question about Obama's birth certificate and thus his legitimacy to hold office also has racist roots. These opinions are hardly limited to the South. I remember standing in a clubhouse at a golf course in your own state of New Hampshire and hearing someone expound on the intrinsic failings of black Americans.

Republican strategists, starting with the Nixon administration, embarked on a "Southern strategy" designed to carve off the white working-class Democrats in the South and move them into the Republican column. The 1964 Civil Rights Act and other reforms during the Johnson years split the ruling Democratic coalition that had once encompassed both segregationist southern whites and northern liberals. The Republicans realized that if they could shift the agenda from redistributive politics on which the New Deal was founded to cultural politics based on race hatred, they could forge a new winning coalition. That's been the primary alignment in American politics for the past forty years or so. Other target groups -- gays, women, abortionists, Muslims -- have been added to the list over time, but it was race that began the realignment process.
Old 2012-01-27, 16:29   Link #19217
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Some of the more extreme hatred of "liberals" is rooted in racism. Complaints about how liberals and Democrats use redistributive policies to benefit the "undeserving poor" often derive from an unspoken belief that African-Americans are lazy, shiftless, etc. Having a black President has only exacerbated this problem. Gingrich's comments about Obama being the "food-stamp" President appeal directly to racist attitudes. The entire question about Obama's birth certificate and thus his legitimacy to hold office also has racist roots. These opinions are hardly limited to the South. I remember standing in a clubhouse at a golf course in your own state of New Hampshire and hearing someone expound on the intrinsic failings of black Americans.

Republican strategists, starting with the Nixon administration, embarked on a "Southern strategy" designed to carve off the white working-class Democrats in the South and move them into the Republican column. The 1964 Civil Rights Act and other reforms during the Johnson years split the ruling Democratic coalition that had once encompassed both segregationist southern whites and northern liberals. The Republicans realized that if they could shift the agenda from redistributive politics on which the New Deal was founded to cultural politics based on race hatred, they could forge a new winning coalition. That's been the primary alignment in American politics for the past forty years or so. Other target groups -- gays, women, abortionists, Muslims -- have been added to the list over time, but it was race that began the realignment process.
Thus a big reason why I think the democratic side is the lesser of two evils. Boosting your political prowess on the factors of hate and bigotry? I hate that. Conservatism is really low nowadays. My father was a republican voter since the early 70s. He was not far off from a die-hard republican. However, nowadays, he is registered as independent and finds much dissatisfaction with the republican party. I think there are many like him from his generation; those that have gone from republican to independent. I have liberal and conservative values, and I agree with some things from both when it comes to political issues. Liberalism can be a problem when extreme, but I'm sick of seeing violent mentalities and attitudes with anti-liberal folk, or sometimes violent actions (such as the jerks who killed a person's cat and scrawled the word "Liberal" on it). And that stuff is very scary. There are a lot of those people that would love to put liberals, gays, feminists, etc., six feet under. It really is scary that there are Americans like that.
Old 2012-01-27, 19:56   Link #19218
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
i always wonder where black lagoon was located.
Old 2012-01-27, 21:13   Link #19219
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Looks like the Spratlys isn't the only flash point. If shan hits the fit, with a lot of countries along the Mekong involved, then it could be just as bad as the Vietnam War.
Old 2012-01-27, 23:25   Link #19220
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Germany wants Greece to give up budget control
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80Q1ZF20120127

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international