AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-01-18, 20:20   Link #41
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by method
G was the first AU series so to create its own place in Gundam history it went more in the style of the old super robot series. It threw the overt theme of war out the window and went with the noble war concept of the Gundam tournament. The problem most people have with G is that they don't look past the fighting and see the story of Domon and his fight with the Devil Gundam. Alot of the cheesiness is intentional like the suit designs and especially the King of Hearts attack and the ending. Yes G gundam can be repitive especially in the early part of the series with the gundam fight related episodes. That changes with the inrtoduction of the Devil Gundam and Master Asia.
Yup, the whole point of G Gundam (and the AU shows) is to do something different so that the Gundam franchise can continue... F91 and Victory, both attempts by Bandai to continue Gundam and give it a new start and a new story, both performed poorly... So that's why they made G as different as can be, so demonstrate how different a Gundam show can be and to give the franchise a REAL fresh start...

Anyway, yeah, it's a great story but most UC people are just too obsessed with First and Zeta Gundam to accept it...
Old 2004-01-18, 23:19   Link #42
method

What I never understood was why Gundam X was cancelled? From talking to some of the other gundam heads on the 'net they don't have any idea either.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 01:32   Link #43
Panon

Quote:
What I never understood was why Gundam X was cancelled? From talking to some of the other gundam heads on the 'net they don't have any idea either.
Under-achieved ratings wise and it's merchandise flopped.
Panon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 02:44   Link #44
method

While ratings gets the usual blame, it doesn' seem to hold up.
For the first 26 episodes it ran on Friday's at 5 pm and averaged a 3.5. Which puts X only .4 of a point behind Victory and ahead of Turn A's 3.0. It doesn't look like that is enough to lead to it being moved in my eyes, but it could for execs expecting Wing's numbers.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 22:21   Link #45
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
While ratings gets the usual blame, it doesn' seem to hold up.
For the first 26 episodes it ran on Friday's at 5 pm and averaged a 3.5. Which puts X only .4 of a point behind Victory and ahead of Turn A's 3.0. It doesn't look like that is enough to lead to it being moved in my eyes, but it could for execs expecting Wing's numbers.
Well, there's also the fact that the ratings were supposedly slumping and the critics weren't exactly giving it high marks... That combined with the fact that Tomino did V and ∀(I doubt Bandai would ever offend him again and cancel another of his shows considering the amount of respect he has among the public).

Anyway, it's probably TV Asahi that pulled the plugs on the show rather than Bandai... And the fact that they never ever aired another Gundam again might support that.

But yeah, ∀ is, commercial-wise, the all time low for Gundam, and judging from what the creators and producers of Seed said, that fact was very prominent in its production...
Old 2004-01-19, 22:25   Link #46
vio5555

Yeah, G Gundam is one of my favorite Gundams, right up there with Char's Counterattack and Stardust Memory... I thought V Gundam was okay but the parts changing thing in air didnt really work for me, the first gundam was better because it didnt have to be done as much, pretty much all of the other gundams are good except for F91 which i didnt like, and i was ambivalent about Wing and Seed. The only gundam that i felt was bad isnt an anime, and yes its the one and only Gundam G Saviour, the live action gundam, i cant believe i bought that, but oh well; like any other fanatic i buy everything that says gundam on it...
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 22:48   Link #47
brightman
Ancient Member

G-Saviour doesn't exactly say "Gundam" on it... In fact Gundam wasn't mentioned at all (then again that's what I heard, never bothered watching it )

And yeah, I'm not too big on the combining thing in ZZ and Victory either... It just looked too cumbersome and functioned too slowly, but I guess they actually made something out of it in Victory though considering how Usso keeps using that to his advantage... By contrast it seems that it was more detrimental than beneficial for the ZZ.

Then again, I was never big on the transformable suits from Zeta and beyond either... It was an obvious attempt to profit from the transformable suits craze that Macross started (and I guess the obvious Zoids ripoffs in Seed are no different)... Plus there seem to be more ugly transformable suits than good looking ones in Gundam.