AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-12, 02:33   Link #61
nekodar
AC, NLA, HnK staff

@lakme

I suggest you actually watch it before you judge it.

Changing Cosette's haircolor have little impact, and personally I don't recall her being described as ugly other than after some years with the Thenardier's which I have already commented that any girl would look ugly after that.

Emile Bayard's classical portrait of Cosette http://www.corpusetampois.com/cae-19...-cosette-p.jpg doesn't really portray her as ugly either imo.

And just because Cosette is the main focus of this adaption doesn't mean other characters are not covered. Jean Valjean have already been introduced, and the part about him stealing silverware will be covered as well.
nekodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 04:03   Link #62
DaigoMadoka

Any girl looking ugly after that is expected, but that wasn't really the point I (and lakme maybe) was making. The point is it's the *way* Hugo described it. If your looking for a way to describe someone, going in depth is going to attract the reader's interest alot more than just "she was ugly." and leave it at that. Hugo described Cosette in a matter that painted a clear picture of how her life was, how she was feeling, and so on. It may be too early to judge, but considering the first episode has Cosette left at the Thénardiers and judging from the ways things are going, she might not be there for 5 years before Valjean finds her. That being said, with the way the characters are drawn it would be more of a "Awww, the cute wittle girl is all tired with mud and dirt all over her" rather than the way Hugo describes it, maybe not even making her look disturbingly thin to due not being fed, and always abused which would really drive an emotional stake through your heart moreso...it also helps to show the difference between Cosette and Eponine even moreso, but I guess we're stuck with what we have But there's still a lot of episodes to go, so I have no idea how they're going to do this since people don't like judging from the first episode...but from just the 1 episode, I hope the staff doesn't take their creative liberty too far.

(Hey, if Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fans get to complain about adaptations, so can I. >>)
DaigoMadoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 04:51   Link #63
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaigoMadoka View Post
(Hey, if Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fans get to complain about adaptations, so can I. >>)
Certainly!
As a french woman whose favourite novel is Les Misérables, you can expect me to complain!

But I've never been satisfied with any adaptations of the novel (strangely, the musical is the most faithful imo) so I should not expect much from an anime.
The most surprising is the choice of Cosette as the heroine of course. Cosette is such a flat and passive character in the novel. She's just a distant catalyst for Valjean and Marius.
But c'est la vie and if people enjoy this adaptation, what can I say?

SpaceDrake, you're right, I'm a big Enjolras fangirl
Old 2007-01-12, 09:48   Link #64
Ursula Lanoire

From the short clips I've seen, it seems quite promising, whether or not they've got the hair colors right, and I'm seriously considering downloading an episode.

To Eurys: The musical isn't really the best adaptation. It's good as far as it goes, but thus far, my favorite is the Orson Welles version.
Ursula Lanoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 12:12   Link #65
lakme

Nekodar: I will watch it when it's fansubbed. In the meantime, I don't know Japanese and even though I'll probably be able to guess at the dialogue, I'd rather wait until I'll know for sure what they're saying.

As per the hair color: I'm nitpicky, what can I say? Anyway, the point is that Cosette looks glamorously mistreated. Hugo's description says that everything about Cosette implies fear. Absolutely nothing about Cosette's character design in the anime makes me think that. And, I'm sorry, but everyone looks so generic. The faces lack character. They all look like designs in a dating Sim set in the 19th century. Only maybe even drawn a little worse than that. Maybe that's okay for your everyday run of the mill harem anime, but I think Hugo's masterpiece deserves better than that.

As for Jean Valjean being in the anime justifying it: I really think it's a big mistake. It'd be like taking the Harry Potter series and centering it around Hermione. Valjean IS Les Mis. The novel is his story. And, as I've said, I really don't feel that they have any reasoning behind making Cosette the main character other than that she's a cute little lolicon bait.

I also do feel that Cosette being ugly at a young age is important (and I don't think she's exceptionally cute in that famous picture, either) because when she finally becomes pretty, it sort of goes to her head because, well, she's never been pretty before.

Eurys: I disagree about Cosette being flat and passive in the novel. In the musical, yes, and even the movie adaptations her character is usually quite depleted, but in the novel I think she's a wonderful character.

The musical's actually a rather horrible adaptation. I like it, but eesh. Better than the movie with Liam Neeson though; that was seriously bad.

Last edited by lakme; 2007-01-12 at 12:47.
lakme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 16:54   Link #66
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Firstly, I'm sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that if they made a Harry Potter anime Harmione would be the focal character. Because magic doesn't fly as well with the shounen crowd and that's what it would end up being seen as. Unless of course Koge Donbo did it (which I think would be awesome because her Harry Potter stuff is great!)

I'm thinking people should just give up entirely on wishing adaptations of foreign works to anime ever being faithful.

As for Cosette's "not ugly" appearance, they could still make her look ugly and haggard. Tho we can assume she won't suddenly be done in the artstyle of Hellsing's next episode previews they can sink her eyes and raggle her hair as the series progresses. I'm never gonna understand people who assume so much on a handful of screenshots, a single character profile and posts from other people who also haven't seen more than a single episode. We have 52 TIMES the number of episodes to see and presumably a time jump will happen.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 06:52   Link #67
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
*Link Deleted*
Ok so it's aired now

What will be the next...

Last edited by IchiKyo; 2007-01-14 at 09:57. Reason: RAW is OUT
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 23:04   Link #68
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs View Post
I sure hope that wasn't directed at me.
It was directed to everyone, but it was about you.

I know that most things in Japan and elsewhere have to be moe or at least attractive to survive. I'm just tired of things getting bastardized for the sake of the masses. If you want to make a sad story about a little girl, do it, but don't rip off Les Mis and hack it to bits. It isn't really about Cosette in the first place. I haven't downloaded the first episode, so I might be being too harsh (doubtful). If I am, I will gladly eat crow.
Old 2007-01-15, 17:16   Link #69
Rion
Ramune~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracknut View Post
I saw the 1981 version produced by Toei which was distributed by ZIV international. I lost my copy over five years ago. I wish I had it back.
Aaaaah! Me too! I watched it on TV ages ago (I must have been a child back then) and then never saw it again. I loved the movie and the story to death and I wished I could it again T_T

Is there any chance to get a copy of this movie, maybe? I don't see any of it in the online stores I know... maybe it's just too old ^^;
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 12:27   Link #70
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Finally see the Ep 2
Spoiler:
Old 2007-01-21, 06:55   Link #71
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

The Screen of Ep3
*Link Deleted*
Friend with Chouchou

Last edited by IchiKyo; 2007-01-21 at 18:09. Reason: Soon or Later, RAW will out
Old 2007-01-21, 07:18   Link #72
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I ought to watch this. I just recently saw the classic Les Miserable production of Cameron Macintosh on DVD. How long is the series going to be?

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 07:35   Link #73
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Perhaps or Confirmed 52 Episodes
Old 2007-01-21, 18:41   Link #74
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Yes, it runs to December of this year.

And gord, we're on episode 3 with nobody picking it up yet? This depresses me, severely. Surely someone must be interested...
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 05:33   Link #75
nekodar
AC, NLA, HnK staff

As usual, the problem is finding a dedicated translation/editing team that is willing to do the script work needed.

I couldn't find anyone that
1) was not busy with many other shows already
2) was not to busy with RL things
3) was willing to work on this show

and I'm not willing to start working on it if I can't promise at least 3-4 eps/month, to avoid falling behind by a lot.
Old 2007-01-22, 06:29   Link #76
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

And Depending of the most popularity of the series too, no?
Anyway, Ep3 SAW
Spoiler:

Next episode will deal with the Letter of Fantine
Old 2007-01-23, 04:39   Link #77
nekodar
AC, NLA, HnK staff

I'm not sure what you mean to say about popularity.

If it was being subbed by others, I wouldn't have any reason to do it myself unless others were doing it extremely poorly.

I believe that most of the projects I've worked on before have not been "popular" among other subbers.

Aside from that, I watched ep 3 now.
Without spoiling anything I can say I think it was good and sad, and I believe we got a taste of how they are going to handle certain matters from the book, in the anime.
Old 2007-01-24, 11:31   Link #78
MestreKame
Brazilian Otaku

anyone could guive me the links for download this anime?i'm very interested .plz,help me
MestreKame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 13:49   Link #79
Falco C.

Our staff is ready. Les Miserables will be subbed.

We need an editor or an english checker. If you've a good style or experience in that, pvt me.
Falco C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 19:29   Link #80
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Hurray!

And thank you very much.

I'm sure you'll find somebody on this planet who's capable to check english texts.
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical