AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-02-01, 19:52   Link #2101
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Some people can't play Skyrim via Steam right now, and I'm one of them. The solution is to uninstall and reinstall, apparently (judging by what I read in a forum thread). What should I do? First, back up the data folder (for the mods) and also back up my game saves, just in case? I'm on Windows 7, is this pretty straight forward? Just right click, copy the folders, and save to an SD card and I'm good to go?

Also, is it pretty easy to reinstall the game on Steam? I never did a reinstall of a game on steam before. Is it also really straight forward to uninstall and reinstall the game on steam? Should I be able to find help on that in the read me file for Skyrim?

I'm trying to figure this out soon. I wanna play the game.
Old 2012-02-01, 21:18   Link #2102
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its "easy" but Steam's little problem is going to cost the affected quite a few gigabytes of data transfer. It really annoys me when companies think a couple of gigabyte downloads are "no problem' for their customers, many of whom operate under monthly data caps.

And yeah, copy-save those game saves... and if you've installed any mods, make a note of those / save them off, etc.

edit: hmmm, my patch seems to have gone okay but checking out the mods now.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-02-01 at 23:33.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 03:44   Link #2103
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Some people can't play Skyrim via Steam right now, and I'm one of them. The solution is to uninstall and reinstall, apparently (judging by what I read in a forum thread). What should I do? First, back up the data folder (for the mods) and also back up my game saves, just in case? I'm on Windows 7, is this pretty straight forward? Just right click, copy the folders, and save to an SD card and I'm good to go?

Also, is it pretty easy to reinstall the game on Steam? I never did a reinstall of a game on steam before. Is it also really straight forward to uninstall and reinstall the game on steam? Should I be able to find help on that in the read me file for Skyrim?

I'm trying to figure this out soon. I wanna play the game.
Unless you want to be redownloading the whole game...
This article should tell you how to back up a game using Steam's built-in Backup and Restore feature:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8794-YPHV-2033
Old 2012-02-02, 19:49   Link #2104
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And yeah, copy-save those game saves... and if you've installed any mods, make a note of those / save them off, etc.
Alright, thanks guys. Now about what I quoted, when you say save them off, you mean save the save files when all my mods are disabled?

Oh yes, another question. How do I go about deleting old Skyrim saves? I have about 400 saves (lol) and I was surprised to find my save folder at 2.28 GB. I don't know if the proper, safe way to do this is to just go into the save files folder and delete old saves or what.
Old 2012-02-02, 20:09   Link #2105
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Oh yes, another question. How do I go about deleting old Skyrim saves? I have about 400 saves (lol) and I was surprised to find my save folder at 2.28 GB. I don't know if the proper, safe way to do this is to just go into the save files folder and delete old saves or what.
Your saves should be fine even after the 1.4 update. I tend to overwrite old saves on occasion, alongside a few autosaves.
Whilst you can simply delete the older save files from the folder (this will be the quicker method, as you can batch delete old save files), it's probably safer to go into the game itself, select a save file in the appropriate "save" and/or "load" menu, then pressing "X" on your keyboard to delete (you'll be prompted before deleting). As I just said though, this is the safer option, and considering you have about 400 saves, it's best if you just go and delete them using Windows Explorer.
Old 2012-02-03, 19:32   Link #2106
Who

Creation Kit's been scheduled for release this Tuesday.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 19:47   Link #2107
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Creation Kit's been scheduled for release this Tuesday.
You forgot to mention the surprise they're planning for that day, too.

https://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/stat...36529895272449
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 19:49   Link #2108
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
You forgot to mention the surprise they're planning for that day, too.

https://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/stat...36529895272449
Oh, that thing? Probably an official high res texture pack.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/134...#entry20225306
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 20:04   Link #2109
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Question! I finished the Battle for Windhelm siding with the Imperials. After that, the city is like a ghost town with barely people...how do you make the people come back? Also, is there a way to get rid of those blood and altar with bones on Hjerim? I purchased and remodelled the house and the mess is still there (I reloaded my old save).
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 20:51   Link #2110
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Cyz: You have to wait a day or two after the battle of Windhelm, after which the city reverts to normal, except with a new Jarl and town guards. Also you USUALLY can get the option to have Hjerim cleaned up, but that's only if you finished Blood on the Ice properly. Getting Hjerim with the console won't give you the option to have the place cleaned up first in my experience.
Old 2012-02-07, 21:33   Link #2111
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Cyz: You have to wait a day or two after the battle of Windhelm, after which the city reverts to normal, except with a new Jarl and town guards. Also you USUALLY can get the option to have Hjerim cleaned up, but that's only if you finished Blood on the Ice properly. Getting Hjerim with the console won't give you the option to have the place cleaned up first in my experience.
Ah thanks! It's quite disturbing seeing all those "garbage" after buying and renovating the house. Not very nice especially if you're spending more than 12,000 gold.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 21:44   Link #2112
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My "pure mage" and her travel buddy Lydia... I was shooting for a female version of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.

Spoiler for Tidy up thread - skyrim image:

Almost a wallpaper...
http://forums.animesuki.com/picture....ictureid=42545
Old 2012-02-07, 22:40   Link #2113
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Heh, your character is damn tiny. I don't remember being able to adjust the height of characters
Old 2012-02-07, 23:11   Link #2114
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

The Steam Workshop for Skyrim is now open, allowing you to easily install and manage mods for the game. To do so, you first need to add a "subscription" to a mod, and the game will automatically download and update said mod whenever you launch the game. Here's a Skyrim mod by Valve, which adds the Space Core from Portal 2 into the game. You can make your own mods using the Creation Kit (Wiki here).
Spoiler for Space Core mod video:

And finally, the High Resolution Texture Pack is now available (for free). It's about a 3.1GB download. Has anyone tried it out yet? I really haven't noticed a big difference.
Old 2012-02-08, 01:27   Link #2115
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Wouldn't blame anyone for thinking... TL;DR

Playing on 360... though once the good mods start coming out I'm so getting Skyrim on PC Hope the high res mod looks great, since I finally got a good PC monitor now unlike the 10 year old thing I had last month.

Anyways in my lame hope of a DLC announcement (trailer) would be the surprise today (hey, I have it on 360 so a creation kit and high res doesn't effect me) I started compiling a wishlist of what I wanted in my Skyrim DLC... and wasted a lot of time typing it and now felt like sharing.

Let me talk about the white elephant in the room first though

Spoiler for The Desire of Multiplayer by many:

Now here is what I would want expansion wise:

Quick sum up: 3 DLCs being (Morrowind for the first, Cyrodill for the second, and Valenwood & Summerset Isles for the 3rd and final DLC). However unlike other Bethesda DLC I want these perefed play style to be played in order as much as where possible. Though workable other ways too, so if you do DLC 3 first and beat it, DLC 2 will happen due to agents from 3 already in place wanting revenge instead of people under the working for the enemies in DLC currently, so there final attack will be more since we went out we're taking you with use rather than just manipulating events to prevent your attack on them.

Spoiler for My desired DLC 1: Morrowind:

Spoiler for Now my desired DLC 2: Cyrodill:

Spoiler for Finally my desired DLC 3: The Dominion:

---------------

Spoiler for My desires for game play changes that I want fully implemented by the final DLC, but that can come out piecemeal in any order throughout my 3 desired DLC::
Old 2012-02-08, 01:32   Link #2116
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd love to have a LAN co-op ability so I could play with a couple of friends. Both my sons grew up with us trawling through LAN/co-op RPGs. I've seen noises of a few attempts at co-op but I'm not getting excited yet.
Old 2012-02-08, 01:40   Link #2117
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

... did you know you can make a helmet out of the Space Core?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 01:50   Link #2118
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'd love to have a LAN co-op ability so I could play with a couple of friends. Both my sons grew up with us trawling through LAN/co-op RPGs. I've seen noises of a few attempts at co-op but I'm not getting excited yet.
Sounds like fun times you all had together. I've done quite a few LAN RTS and shooters but never, oddly, an RPG ... but get the idea of how awesome it would be . As stated LAN Co-op I do see as possibly but I don't think it likely either but it would be something worth while if done. I think LAN would be the best way to go (and on consul split screen second) since TES has always been about the players choices and shouldn't be something that you and some random dude on the net do together but your choice and that of your good friend on the couch next to you while hanging out together having a good time doing whatever the two of you felt like doing. I can so see me and my friend trying to amass the most rabbit kills in a 5 minute window, which would be next to impossible to do with some random dude on the next... especially when you can't go over to his screen and look at his kill numbers. Hence why if Multiplayer I believe Skyrim should be limited to co-op and over a LAN.

Since I have little to no experience with TES series on PC (whole series on xbox only ) has one of them ever been modded to work as a LAN Co-op? If so, I really need to check it out.
Old 2012-02-08, 01:58   Link #2119
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I haven't seen one ready for prime time. There is one mod I've seen (at Nexus) but its very alpha (you see the other player as a static figure, etc) so I haven't bothered.
Old 2012-02-08, 04:39   Link #2120
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
... did you know you can make a helmet out of the Space Core?
Ah, yes, Valve and their hat fetish. Should have known.

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim