AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-03-25, 23:37   Link #21
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
How's Rurouni Kenshin?

I saw the movie Samurai X, thought it was good. But how's the series, is that any good? I noticed on one site that there's 95 epsiodes of it, is that correct?
husyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-25, 23:59   Link #22
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by husyk
I saw the movie Samurai X, thought it was good. But how's the series, is that any good? I noticed on one site that there's 95 epsiodes of it, is that correct?
The anime "Rurouni Kenshin" is based on a best-seller manga that was on Jump Comics several years back. It was done by a young upstart manga artist - Watsuki Nobuhiro.

While I personally did not like Kenshin's voice in the anime, I still watched it as it was a very popular series over here in Japan. Aside from my personal objections to Kenshin's voice (the Ruro-ken drama CD featuring Ogata Megumi was much better), the animation was of very high quality as it was one of the first projects done by SME.

There are several Ruro-ken animes (I have no idea how it is released in your country):

TV Series Box Set 1: includes Volumes 1-8, Episodes 1-27, "Tokyo Chapter"
TV Series Box Set 2: includes Volumes 9-19, Episodes 28-66, "Kyoto Chapter"
TV Series Box Set 3: includes Volumes 20-26, Episodes 67-94 "TV Original Stories Chapter" + "unaired cuts selection DVD"
OVA "Tsuioku-hen": 4 volumes, Kenshin's story with Tomoe and the bakumatsu era
Movie "Ishinshishi e no Chinkonka"
OVA: "Seisou-hen": 2 volumes, end of Rurouni Kenshin, sad story.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 00:16   Link #23
Alfzilla
Was Here

Send a message via AIM to Alfzilla
Rurouni Kenshin had its moments but i still dident really like the show very much.
Alfzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 00:52   Link #24
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

despite being very good, the TV anime by today's standards looks pretty dated, the OVAs (called "Samurai X: Trust (ep. 1&2) Betrayal (3&4) and Reflections (Seisou-hen)" here in the states) are just so much better, when i first saw the trailer for "Reflections," my jaw dropped and my eyes resembled an anime character's...it was spectacular
i was also impressed by the manga, Watsuki's manga drawings of characters like Kaoru just look a lot more elegant than the anime drawings of her
the only thing the anime had over the manga was the depiction of the Zanbatou...the manga made it look like a long pole.
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 00:56   Link #25
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
One of the best series i ever collected ..great plot great characters and the OST is to die for .. among other animes hehehe
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 00:58   Link #26
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
One of the best series i ever collected ..great plot great characters and the OST is to die for .. among other animes hehehe
you liked the OST? well...Ice Blue Eyes and Heart of the Sword were appropriate but..."Freckles"...urgh not a Samurai Action Drama Anime type of song O_O
and the theme song for the first OVAs...my god....
Old 2004-03-26, 01:09   Link #27
Icer

The beginning "arc" so to speak, is alright.
The Kyoto arc is really amazing though, but anything after that is trash.
The first OVA is also beautiful, but the 2nd one "SeiSouHen" I reccommend not watching and reading the manga instead. It totally ruins the Jinchuu arc & end of Kenshin.
Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 01:10   Link #28
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
I am free to have my own taste in music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
you liked the OST? well...Ice Blue Eyes and Heart of the Sword were appropriate but..."Freckles"...urgh not a Samurai Action Drama Anime type of song O_O
and the theme song for the first OVAs...my god....
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 01:11   Link #29
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
I am free to have my own taste in music
very true...but i can still think of you as weird
Old 2004-03-27, 16:46   Link #30
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by husyk
besides nobody really commenting on their prefrences....

Kenshin i thought was great in the beginning the sucked harder and harder as you go along in the anime.

If you ever do pick it up, just watch it up to the "holy knight" then stop.

cause everything after that sucked so hard it's not even funny
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 16:56   Link #31
Sethi
StormRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
besides nobody really commenting on their prefrences....

Kenshin i thought was great in the beginning the sucked harder and harder as you go along in the anime.

If you ever do pick it up, just watch it up to the "holy knight" then stop.

cause everything after that sucked so hard it's not even funny
Me agrees if you watch Kenshin until "holy knight" or until the end of Kyoto arc then you will regard it as a masterpiece if you watch it beyond that point you can probably like it but the story becomes so boring, stupid that the only thing it has in common with the rest of the show is the characters.
Now i HIGHLY recommend you read the Manga, especially Jinchuu arc because it's pretty much the best, both story and action wise.
Sethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 17:03   Link #32
7thMethuselah

I agree with the above posters: parts one and two of the anime are good, the OVA which deals with his past in Kyoto is GODLY, the rest you can pretty much skip. The manga on the other hand is a must-read if you like manga that is. It's 28 volumes long and available in several languages I believe, the drawings and action scenes in it are just sooooooo cool.
Be sure to try it oyt and even if you don't like the anime, DO try the manga because it's a little masterpiece in my opinion ...
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 17:09   Link #33
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
Both OVAs are awesome, the series are also pretty wonderful.
The third act of the series feels abit like a reepating of act1, but it isnīt that bad, and you cant just skip an entire act/season, just cause people say it aint necessary to see. Its still Rurouni Kenshin, so the third act is still pretty awesome compared to other anime(but maybe not so great if you compare it to the first two acts of Kenshin TV series).

See it all You won't regret it.
Wilcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 17:27   Link #34
Yujinbito

Yeah. The first time I saw Kenshin I thought it was alright, but kinda stupid. That's because I was watching the first season. I suggest that you watch the first few episodes just to get an idea of who the characters are and then skip ahead to DVD vol. 7, 'Shadow of the Wolf'. That's the Kyoto story arc which is some of the best anime ever. A fantastic mix of fighting and story and even a few interesting things to think about regarding violence and whether or not being wholly non-violent can be a valid solution to defending against fanatics and killers. My complaint with the first story arc - and I have to admit/stress that I didn't watch all of it - was that it was basically a fight of the week style, non-continuing story. I mean, of course the story 'goes forward' but as far as episodes relating directly to the events of previous episodes, the longest you're going to get is a story running for 2 or 3 episodes. The way I did it was the best, IMO.. I watched the first four episodes (although I'd recommend watching a little past that), Kyoto Arc, then watched the Trust & Betrayal OAVs. I certainly suggest watching them after the Kyoto Arc for best effect, even though they take place before (like Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me ). Other than that, I didn't watch past the Kyoto arc so I can't speak to that.. some people love the later episodes and some hate them. Same for the Reflection OAV. My understanding of Reflection is that it's just scenes from the TV series animated like the Trust & Betrayal OAVs, along with some scenes from the manga that weren't in the TV series and also an ending to the whole story that was made up by the OAV creators and has nothing to do with the original series. A lot of peoples' biggest complaint is that it could have been cool but there are only 2 episodes, so it feels like they're just showing off that the scenes look cool but not really making any story. As for the movie, it's just a cheap condensation of the themes in the Kyoto Arc if you ask me. My advice, since you seem to like fighting anime w/ story - based on the fact that you posted about Berserk earlier - is like I said, watch volumes 7-14 (or buy the second box set, 'Legend of Kyoto' if you wanna drop a lot of money on it.. not sure what your budget's like). Then watch the first OAV series (2 discs, 4 episodes). It's such a diverse series, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Yujinbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 05:58   Link #35
moneylee

Rurouni Kenshin

i love watching Rurouni Kenshin, but i hate maker, why didnt they map eps of when he was still killing people.. it would had been a bigger hit, more blood just like X, u know what i mean,

Last edited by xris; 2004-04-29 at 07:11. Reason: Merged existing threads together
moneylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 15:08   Link #36
feedmeister
kaigunjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifka
Don't know if you've seen it yet but there is a wooden cased box set of the first 1/3 eps. that is beautiful. I just picked it up and the art goes with RK perfectly. I don't think they've released the two following, but will be doing so shortly. You can find it around $100.00, if you actually look, maybe even cheaper. Mine was less but it was a gift from a freind who works at an electronic/cd/dvd/etc store. Good luck.

The second box is out and the third is coming in July. Even around $100 it's not a bad deal since that'll come to 300 for all the TV eps. That comes to a little less than $15 per disk and you get them in the bento boxes.

I was at a Media Blasters panel and Meredith (one of their art people who came up with the box design) was describing the idea for the RK boxes. All three are meant to stack on each other and there'll be a strap or something to hold them together so you can easily carry them around.
feedmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 15:42   Link #37
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Rurouni Kenshin is definitely one of the greatest anime shows I have ever seen. It has some of the best fight scenes and is very emotional. Not only that but there is lots of humor... good humor.
The series is based in an actual time period, so it is technically historical fiction. I learned alot just by watching it about the history of Japan. I highly recommended this show for any huge anime fan.

My personal opinion Kyoto arc is a masterful epic adventure worthy of the classics. Fire Requiem, being part of a large whole, cannot, of course, stand on it's own but is perhaps the best chapter of this grand tale.

OVA 1 Trust/Betrayal - The OVA is very historically correct and its background and feeling thus bases on this. The scenery and authenticity of the animation is superb. If you think the sword fights of the TV series were good, you will be blown away in the OVA for the animation and flow of the fight scenes as well as the overall movement of the characters, which are very well portrayed.

OVA 2 SEISOUHEN - I personally liked this one a lot although the ending was sad, but honestly this will probably be as real as an ending will ever get and in some ways I feel contentment in how it was done. This OVA was a definate tear-jerker.
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 16:13   Link #38
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
I've seen all 95 episodes of the series, the movie, and both OVAs. Excellent anime overall although I find the series kind of weak after Episode 62 when they're done with the trouble at Kyoto. First OVA was excellent, 2nd was just too sad. Its a must see to anyone.
husyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 14:18   Link #39
Racheal
Super Robot War Player

Watching Ruroni Kenshin ova.

Bought it some time back but too busy to watch till now. Its now 0230 am in the morning and i am still watching it. Right now kenshin is bowing before enichi. I think i will watch the whole series dvd after it since i have the day off tomorrow.

Eyebags.
Racheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 14:23   Link #40
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

If you liked it that much, only watch the TV series upto the end of the Kyoto arc. Everything after that, the last ~20 episodes of the series, are pointless filler and have no relevance. Instead, I'd recommend you pick up the manga and read it as it actually has what happens after the Kyoto arc.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical, shounen