AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-04-29, 17:22   Link #761
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This wasn't as bad as I expected. Disappointing but not all bad. I appreciate that we finally got entirely new content, but the story was not exactly up to Eva's usual standard. My main gripe is that not much happened in this movie. The majority of it was spend on trying to find out what the hell happened during the past 14 years, and the main event, the failed fourth impact, was unnecessary. It felt like they could have crammed much more story in this. How many movies do they intend to make anyway?

What I hated the most about the movie is Shinji's character regression. He had finally manned up at the end of the previous movie and now he's back to his wimpy and angsty self. Not that it doesn't make sense given the context but it's still annoying. I was hoping to see a different Shinji in this movie. Better luck next time.

The preview for the next movie looks terrible. Doesn't make me want to see it. But of course, I still will.
Old 2013-04-29, 17:42   Link #762
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
What I hated the most about the movie is Shinji's character regression. He had finally manned up at the end of the previous movie and now he's back to his wimpy and angsty self. Not that it doesn't make sense given the context but it's still annoying. I was hoping to see a different Shinji in this movie. Better luck next time.
The new and improved Shinji (presumably) saved Rei at the expense of third impact and then in his new found assertiveness ignores Nagisa to pull out the spear, inadvertently triggering 4rth impact.

Yup, so far the 'manned up' Shinji is an even bigger disaster for humanity than 'emo' Shinji. Poor kid can't get a break
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 21:02   Link #763
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrigs View Post
but in this case, did they also skip angel 11 then?
I wondering if angel 11 & 12 appear at same time. this will give reason why Rei is send to seal angel 12 since others are busy dealing angel 11

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 23:22   Link #764
Azuma Denton
~AD~

This new movie is confusing me as old viewer.
I need to stop comparing it to old serie and assume it as a seperate serie.

So far the visual is stunning. From the EVA 02 descent, the Wunder maiden flight and the battle between EVA 02 - EVA 13 and EVA 08 - EVA Mark 09.

As for story, i will stay it is so-so. Nothing is explained so far, only question added up so far. And if I am not reading evageeks wiki, I will riddled with many unanswered question regarding the 3rd movie.

Overall, I enjoy the third movie. And I hope Anno can conclude this "Rebuild" serie with an ending on par with "The End of Evangelion"

And Asuka, you are quite tsundere huh...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 23:24   Link #765
matrigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
In any case, the looping player can allude to one of several things, for example Shinji's inability to develop both personally and socially, and being stack in conceptually the same situations personally and socially... it could also hint to his limited ambition (hm, probably this is the wrong word... lack of desire to make/find new things), that boy liked one song, and want to listen to it forever...
Actually, i was mentioning the player AGAINST a loop scenario. The tracks numbers progress instead of looping, rather hinting a continuation of EoE. I'm just curious if the time on the player has some meaning. The track he listens to in 3.00 is at the 1,5 hour mark. The previous tracks weren't shorter, and so much won't find on a normal DAT cassette. Might be tottally irrelevant as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
I wondering if angel 11 & 12 appear at same time. this will give reason why Rei is send to seal angel 12 since others are busy dealing angel 11
although i really like yout explanation, do you have any sort of backing for this? it's also a mystery of how the twelth angel ended up in Mark 06, or if it was in him for all the time. kaworu mentions something about "lilim altering it, that's why it's in this broken state".

asuka clearly knows about that mentioning suddenly that "the 12th angle is still alive".

there are also a few other things that don't add up to me:

- if the third impact shinji started was so deadly, then why did Misato and Co. standing like a mile from the epicenter survive. and coincidentally Gendo and all the people relevant for the plot?

- why does asuka say in the
Spoiler for spoiler:
matrigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 01:11   Link #766
Vegard Aune

Quote:
- why does asuka say in the
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for About that:

Spoiler for More stuff on the same topic:
Old 2013-04-30, 02:03   Link #767
matrigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Spoiler for About that:
Spoiler for Well:

Sadly enough, the different interpretations and translations definitely don't help the english speaking community in discussing this movie.
matrigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 02:37   Link #768
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Spoiler for Well:

Sadly enough, the different interpretations and translations definitely don't help the english speaking community in discussing this movie.
I was not going off a translation though. I was going by what I actually heard her say. I've never even seen this movie with subs... which has of course rendered some of the exposition rather vague for me seeing how they tend to use a lot of really complicated words that are far beyond my current comprehension-level, but the phrase サードインパクトの続き is quite straight-forward.
Old 2013-04-30, 07:24   Link #769
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Didn't you know Reckoner? You can only be wrong. Even if you turned around and liked the next movie, you'd still be contradictory. :3

A match where only I can win and you can lose. Truly honest debate.
More honest than deciding you hate a movie, making up reasons why you hate it, and THEN watching it, yeah. (Especially when you have to revise your reasons, since the original reasons you stated don't apply to the movie in question).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
p/s: 2.22 was released around May 2010, now it is April 2013 for 3.33. So Mar 2016 here we go.
Well, remember... there was kind of a huge national disaster that happened between the releases of 2.22 and 3.0...? That killed over 15,000 people and crippled power in a lot of places...?

That kinda threw a number of wrenches into all kinds of work...
Old 2013-04-30, 11:25   Link #770
petran79
out of touch with anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I don't know, I suppose this anime isn't that bad if you disconnect your brain and you just enjoy the action and the awesome mecha animation. Enjoyable as long as it last is the best that it can be, I'm still left with the feeling that I wouldn't have lost anything if I watched something else.
the approach of this movie and the
Spoiler:
reminded me more of Gurren Laggan rather than Evangelion. Which is not a bad series by any chance, but if you also target the old schoolers, at least add some elements of the previous movies.
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 15:27   Link #771
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Pretty much went as expected. the last 30 minutes were nonsense. Everyone is an asshole for no reason. Half of the movie is not even explained. Whatever, at least it kept me interested until the end, unlike the other 2. Kind of liked the end though. I'm looking forward to the next one in 5 years.
Old 2013-04-30, 17:04   Link #772
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

Quote:
Actually, i was mentioning the player AGAINST a loop scenario. The tracks numbers progress instead of looping, rather hinting a continuation of EoE. I'm just curious if the time on the player has some meaning. The track he listens to in 3.00 is at the 1,5 hour mark. The previous tracks weren't shorter, and so much won't find on a normal DAT cassette. Might be tottally irrelevant as well
Well, I'm not an eva fan, I never finished the series, but I thing there may be another explanation as for why the playlist is advancing. Since each new iterarion may be a new step in the way for happiness for Shinji (either because he is finally satisfied with his current status quo, or because the word is finally the same as it was before all the impact shit), maybe that's the reason why there's a new track in the tracklist in each movie (supposing all the movies are fragments of new itterations that somehow lock the same but slighty improved).

I don't know if It makes any sense for Evangelion as a whole, as I said I didn't get to finish the TV series.
Zaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 18:34   Link #773
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

This movie is so different from the last two. I'm not talking about the plot, but more of the cinematography in this movie. I dunno if it's the correct term, but I felt that it was really well-done and much better than the past two movies. How all the scenes were shown and the different panning methods used were pretty awesome.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 22:02   Link #774
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Well, I just assumed that Anno just got out from another phyciatrist ward...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 04:38   Link #775
ginger02

Watched the movie and it wasn't too bad. First time ever watching anything Evangelion though. Is this movie like a summary of what happened in the series, with some new stuff thrown in?
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 05:56   Link #776
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
Watched the movie and it wasn't too bad. First time ever watching anything Evangelion though. Is this movie like a summary of what happened in the series, with some new stuff thrown in?
No. The first movie in this series was basically a straight remake of the first 6 episodes of the show... The second movie was loosely based on episodes 8-19 (episode 7 was completely disregarded) but the plot diverged rather heavily near the end, and as a result... this third movie shares practically none of its plot-developments with the TV-series aside from Kaworu's, uh... "friendship" with Shinji and the fact that Kaworu dies.
Old 2013-05-01, 07:53   Link #777
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
No. The first movie in this series was basically a straight remake of the first 6 episodes of the show... The second movie was loosely based on episodes 8-19 (episode 7 was completely disregarded) but the plot diverged rather heavily near the end, and as a result... this third movie shares practically none of its plot-developments with the TV-series aside from Kaworu's, uh... "friendship" with Shinji and the fact that Kaworu dies.
Don't forget Beethoven's Ninth!
Old 2013-05-01, 07:58   Link #778
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Good Lord, making this the first NGE thing you watch is a really horrible idea. I've watched everything there is to watch multiple times over and I still had no idea what Anno was thinking.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 08:34   Link #779
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Well, you are forgeting:
Spoiler for more common plot elements:

These from the top of my head... I watched the movie only once in theaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Good Lord, making this the first NGE thing you watch is a really horrible idea. I've watched everything there is to watch multiple times over and I still had no idea what Anno was thinking.
$$$$$
Old 2013-05-01, 09:09   Link #780
whitecloud

i have read a great analysis over the net and i think it is an actual representation of what is happening, and what Anno might be thinking.. ill post it all here...

from hungrybugdinner..

"The complaints against Evangelion 3.0 are that it ruins Eva, it changes everything, it gets rid of everything good about Evangelion, and it seems like lousy fanfiction. All but the first are true.

Shinji basically wakes up after 14 years of post-Instrumentality dissolution, probably as primordial soup in the cockpit of Unit 01, and everything has gone to shit. My theory on Rebuild is it’s basically Kawaoru’s attempt in a time loop to re-do the events of Evangelion with different results, ending up in a non-self-loathing Shinji. Whereas obstacles in TV Eva were internal, in the movies, they are external as Shinji has more confidence and more willingness to actually DO things. Shinji, instead of not deciding to destroy the world through passivity and just letting it happen, decides to destroy the world actively through some unfortunate decisions.

This being post-impact, this movie seems to take place in an alternate dimension of sorts, along the lines of the wacky school hijinks in episode 26, except now it’s a kind of demented fanfic where everything is wrong.

When I first saw Eva 2.0 I called it the most postmodern movie ever, because it so often relied on visual cues from the TV series to express ideas and emotions. The waves that we saw lapping up on the beach so often in the TV series now looked different with red waves crashing up against the facility where all of the animals were kept post-Second Impact. It was all semiotic signals to people who had memorized the TV series, signaling emotions while having the events be slightly different.

Except in 3.0, all of those semiotic signals are now completely wrong and send unpleasant and incorrect signals. The whole movie is based around semiotic dissonance. Anno created a movie where everything is different and wrong. It’s kind of crazy, and kind of assholish, and kind of masturbatory, but we have a full-length movie here designed to, basically, “troll” Evangelion fans by fucking with their minds. I’m not sure there’s anything else quite like it, except maybe some sections of the Utena movie with Nanami being a cow, and the bits with Akio being a total dunce.

Going through everything that is changed and demented in this parallel Q universe would be impossible, but here are some of the big ones:

1) Shinji is proactive, doing things, sometimes stupidly, instead of hesitating. He wants to pilot the Evangelion for once and is expressly denied the ability to do so under threat of death.

2) Asuka, instead of having her mind destroyed by an Angel in space, goes out into space and fights an Angel. Her body is apparently damaged and she’s lost an eye, but she no longer expresses any self-doubt or self-loathing, and is kind of a professional soldier with no warmth now. Her being stuck at age 14 is clearly an echo of Noriko in Gunbuster.

3) Misato, instead of being awesome and the best character, is a mean dick Gendo replacement who risks the life of her crew on a stupid airship lifted out of Nadia: Secret of Blue Water. She expresses almost no love or protectiveness for anyone, except perhaps in waiting too long to murder Shinji. No alcohol, no fanservice, no Penpen, just Gendo Mk II.

4) Rei, always accused of being a mindless doll, actually becomes the mindless doll everyone has always accused her of being. She is identified more with corruption than purity, and the scene where Shinji walks in on her changing has an entirely different outcome.

5) Kaworu gets to spend time with Shinji like he wanted, and he even learns how to sync up with him like Asuka by using a song. Shinji gave up playing the cello, but here picks up piano and attempts to find some satisfaction from playing music. Shinji descends with Kaworu into terminal dogma, but in this situation, Kaoru kills himself by decapitation, instead of Shinji having to make the agonizing decision.

7) Toji’s sister, instead of being the unseen victim, is now a heroine of sorts, and it’s Toji who is dead and offscreen.

8) All of the visuals of wreckage in NERV, the different designs in the “Wunder”, the addition of a fourth group “Wille” to go alongside NERV, Gehirn, and SEELE screw with our expectations. Gendo is wearing the evil Keele Lorenz’ glasses. The energetic Fuyutsuki is wizened. Instead of red seas, we see the red floor of Shinji’s room. Instead of the warmth of Misato’s apartment, Shinji stays in an automated, robotic room.

Basically, it’s a monster of Anno changing Evangelion to do things fans always wanted, or to change things people always complain about – Shinji is finally not passive, and yet things still get fucked up. Rei literally is the brainless sex doll that people seem to secretly want. Fuyutsuki explains the plot directly to Shinji instead of being purposely confusing.

Everything is wrong, and everything is un-Evangelion, and it’s the post-apocalypse we haven’t seen after the events of End of Evangelion. That Kaworu speaks of fixing the world suggests that the fourth movie might finally end the series with a definite conclusion, a final “answer” after the questions raised in all of the movies.

But with Eva 3.0, Anno again suggests that the answers we think we want and the changes we think will improve things are horrible, horrible mistakes.

TL;DR: Anno is again fucking with everyone by creating a parallel post-Instrumentality world where what we know about Evangelion clashes against what we see on screen in specifically designed ways to be unsatisfying and infuriating."
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evangelion, remake