AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-04-19, 17:21   Link #61
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I think this manga is just as generic as it gets, I may be wrong but how wrong could I be? I don't really like Shigure but I don't like the characters from this series in general therefore what can I say?
Old 2010-04-19, 17:35   Link #62
ZODDGUTS

My problem with this manga is the female lead emotional retardness, seriously how hard is it for someone to figure out they like someone? That's one thing I like about Strobe Edge where the female lead quickly figures it out she fallen in love rather than have her going on for many chapters "huh what's this feeling I have for him?" eventhough it's the first time she's fallen in love. Anyways this is a decent manga with a interesting premise but so far nothing has really made me think it's great either.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 17:41   Link #63
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
My problem with this manga is the female lead emotional retardness, seriously how hard is it for someone to figure out they like someone? That's one thing I like about Strobe Edge where the female lead quickly figures it out she fallen in love rather than have her going on for many chapters "huh what's this feeling I have for him?" eventhough it's the first time she's fallen in love. Anyways this is a decent manga with a interesting premise but so far nothing has really made me think it's great either.
You must not understand the appeal of shoujo series. The throbbing "Oh noes, does he like me?" or "Who should I pick, oh my god?!" is similar to Shounen's "I can't win this, WAIT, WHAT IS THIS!? THE SECRET POWA INSIDE ME IS COMING OUT, LEVEL UP!" It is the way author makes the plot not interesting, when you don't catch on, they seems really stupid, just like a lolicon would find GAINAXING really odd. *I speak from personal experience.
Old 2010-04-19, 18:08   Link #64
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
I won't say your necessarily wrong about the whole lack of emotional knowledge, but I appreciate the context they put it in for this series at least. For one, they outright admit she has no real knowledge or experience in this regard and she doesn't really understand it... for another, the guy she likes is a jerk And while I like Strobe Edge, I also dislike how retardily hung up the female lead for that series is... least Yukina's testing the waters a bit and isn't so single-minded, which makes her a stronger character overall even if she is lacking in emotional understanding.

And Izayoi, if you don't like the series why exactly are you here? I still disagree with the premise that it's now typical, I've read plenty of the typical series before and while this isn't unheard of it's a more welcome version in my opinion.
Old 2010-04-19, 18:37   Link #65
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
I won't say your necessarily wrong about the whole lack of emotional knowledge, but I appreciate the context they put it in for this series at least. For one, they outright admit she has no real knowledge or experience in this regard and she doesn't really understand it... for another, the guy she likes is a jerk And while I like Strobe Edge, I also dislike how retardily hung up the female lead for that series is... least Yukina's testing the waters a bit and isn't so single-minded, which makes her a stronger character overall even if she is lacking in emotional understanding.

And Izayoi, if you don't like the series why exactly are you here? I still disagree with the premise that it's now typical, I've read plenty of the typical series before and while this isn't unheard of it's a more welcome version in my opinion.
I understand her situation though since I myself was in a similiar situation where the girl I was in love and close with but she was dating someone, it suck but I had to move on but letting go isn't so easy, the female lead in strobe edge herself also knows this but it's hard to do so especially if it's your first love. So yeah I'm giving her some slack for being that way especially since she doesn't want to screw up the relationship with the girl he's dating so she has back off only staying as a friend with him.

Anyways it seems like the author in this series knows that she pulling the emotional retardness card on the female lead so she at least in a comical way, like when the female lead went to the nurse office asking what's wrong with her heart.
Old 2010-04-19, 22:05   Link #66
KrimzonStriker

Yeah I get it's hard, but it only gets harder if you cling on and she knows that too. Not to say whatshisname isn't to blame as well, but the fact that their not honest with their feelings each other while at the same time unable to follow through with their reasoning just puts things too much in limbo with me, and I hate that indecisiveness the most <_<

See now? We're putting things into context, it's can be funny and also quite moving once she makes the general discoveries, like say watching a child take its first step or something similar. And I like how Yukina handles it better then most other heroines who usually just sob and are frantic over the issue generally, that makes them failures at understanding while Yukina's slowly learning and assimilating it one step at a time, I get a sense of progress at least with her.
Old 2010-04-19, 23:21   Link #67
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
Yeah I get it's hard, but it only gets harder if you cling on and she knows that too. Not to say whatshisname isn't to blame as well, but the fact that their not honest with their feelings each other while at the same time unable to follow through with their reasoning just puts things too much in limbo with me, and I hate that indecisiveness the most <_<
Thankfully this really isn't dragged out though in Strobe Edge.

Spoiler for Vol 5 end spoilers:

He really wasn't indecisive per say it's just that well Ren has been dating the other girl for awhile now and he likes her, but than a new girl shows up the (female lead) which he gets along well and before he knew it he came to like her. At first he tries to distance himself but he still notices/look at her which leads to that spoiler I mention. As for Ninako could have made a move on Ren but that would be bitchy move since he was dating someone else at the time, rather than being a bf stealing person she backed off.

For Yukina I just wish she was more self aware of her feelings rather than going "huh what's is this feeling in my chest" 12 chapters later and she's still romanticly retarderd. Come mon now she should have notice by now she has feelings for Shigure. Wonder how long this is going to be dragged out before she goes "omg I like him! no wonder my heart would beat weirdly around him!". -_-
Old 2010-04-20, 09:08   Link #68
KrimzonStriker

It's still the same thing, and they put themselves through a lot of emotional hell along with a number of other people by dwaddling. And technically
Spoiler for Strobe Edge:
But that's enough of Strobe Edge, it's getting way too off-topic <_<

She has issues, but remember that one time she did like a person (her teacher) and basically closed herself off afterward? That and she can have just the most sudden mood changes since she's usually a very logical and analytical individual, almost coldly so at times. Like I said, I prefer her to just be outright unaware verses outright indecisive, she has a better excuse verses most other girls in that regard.
Old 2010-04-21, 02:22   Link #69
DanielSong39

I think Mami will be a tougher "out" than most rivals you see in shoujo manga. Here are some of the reasons:

- Shigure and Mami seem to share a real history.

Most rivals don't even have that much going for them - usually all they have is a one-sided relationship in which they annoy and pester the lead. What we see here is a little different; they seem to known each other quite well for a long period of time.

- Mami seems to bring out the "real" Shigure.

There is little that is forced or fake about Shigure when he's with Mami. He doesn't put on the goody-goody act, nor does he force things as he does with Yukina. He is simply free to be himself... and while that might be "boring", it's also an indicator of a truly meaningful relationship.

- Shigure knows Mami's bad side.

He knows that Mami is faking half of her sick spells, and is fully familiar with her conniving ways. Alas, that doesn't seem to deter him one bit; he seems to like her anyway. Usually rivals have some kind of a fatal flaw or a level of deception that the lead is unaware of. This does not seem to be the case here.

And even though Mami interrupted Shigure's attempts to "get physical" with Yukina, he really doesn't seem to mind. And that's even though he knows that Mami did it on purpose, at least on the second occasion. That has to raise a red flag; usually the lead gets mad (or at the very least, is not happy) when the love rival interrupts an intimate moment with the other lead.

It's not going to be easy for Yukina. While Shigure and Mami might not be in a relationship - and he might not be interested in pursing a relationship - they often act "as if" they do. There's that old saying: If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. At the very least, Yukina's relationship with Shigure will have to progress to the point where Shigure treats her at LEAST as well as he treats Mami - and we're nowhere near that point.

Let's see how things go, but I think Yukina and Shigure have a long, LONG way to go. Love games and physical experiments are a far cry from having a genuine, strong relationship. Let's see if something substantial comes out of their relationship - if it is to happen, it will require a lot of development from both sides.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 16:30   Link #70
Rozen Van Kaizer
Rozen Von Keiser

Or Mami actually confesses her feelings to Yukina.

Haha more "Love" for Yukina to learn.
Rozen Van Kaizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 20:19   Link #71
KrimzonStriker

Hell no, I'm dealing with that situation in one too many mangas as is, it's just not a fair fight for the guy because you really don't know how to respond to that type of challenge and it's even worse for the main heroine to deal with... <_<
Old 2010-04-26, 12:07   Link #72
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Sorry, but are you kidding me? :P This manga is about as uncliche as you can get.

You've got your 'social outcast schoolgirl protagonist' definition wrong: the correct line is 'poor unpopular girl who no one likes, except the super hot main love interest'. It's practically the complete opposite in this case: bullies don't stand a chance against her, and Yukina is pretty much the one person Shigure cannot stand (even now, they're on pretty rough terms with each other).

As for Shigure, what 'trouble baggage' are you referring to? The only person he's remotely unpleasant towards is Yukina, and that's because she's blackmailing him. Emotional issues? :P I'd have to laugh out loud if anyone tried classifying his petty obsession over being a perfect 'nice guy' and having everybody like him as a serious emotional issue. Why is Shigure going to win at the end? Its not because he's the badboy jerk whom women fall all over themselves chasing, but in fact because he's an immature brat whose relationship would symbolize him getting over himself.

Saying Akira's the genuine nice guy who's loved Yukina from the beginning is also pretty funny. If you haven't noticed, Akira's character has been pretty much explicitly structured as 'a child trying to be seen as a man'. Akira a loving 'nice guy'? :P More like a baby trying to turn his childhood security blanket into a lover. To put it frankly, neither of the male leads are anywhere near the standard shoujo bishounen.

Mami's defining trait is also not being a two-faced 'bitch', but rather her chronic sickness. Due to her constant absences, her long relationship with Shigure probably makes him the only friend she even has. Her possessiveness over Shigure doubtlessly stems not from self-entitlement due to his or her (shallow) popularity, but a loneliness and attachment to her only real connection. Just like with Yukina, Mami is practically the opposite of the standard 'two-faced' love rival: in Mami's case, the one Mami shows her 'devillish' real face to is Shigure, i.e. the main love interest, while it's everyone else who gets her 'sweet' side.

Like I've said before, you shouldn't try to pigeonhole these characters into the standard shoujo archetypes. If you take a deeper look at them, they end up fitting very badly; I'd say, Shigure and Akira especially.
THIS

You are made of win.

Ah someone said they think they are the only one who likes Kitami-NO WAI.
I ADORE him. And still hate Akira. It was good that he apologized to Yukina for being forceful....but I still have no respect for him. "I want to be with you til I die"??!! He's a clingy little psychopath. He is pretty much the male equivalent of the crazy yandere girl in harem anime!

Chapter 12 WAS THE BEST.

Quote:
For Yukina I just wish she was more self aware of her feelings rather than going "huh what's is this feeling in my chest" 12 chapters later and she's still romanticly retarderd. Come mon now she should have notice by now she has feelings for Shigure. Wonder how long this is going to be dragged out before she goes "omg I like him! no wonder my heart would beat weirdly around him!". -_-
I strongly disagree with Yukina being "romantically retarded". She likes Kitami and she knows this and she told him so, "I like you two percent". She hasn't realized that she likes him enough to not want anyone else to be with him though.
But if you've NEVER been in love before, I don't know how you could tell the difference between "like" and "love". You have nothing to compare it to. Only actions can show the truth of what the person feels. "Love" is a powerful word and it's misused SO much. I personally believe that unless you sacrifice or are willing to sacrifice something for the person (usually your own happiness) you have not reached the point of being "in love" yet.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2010-04-26 at 12:19.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 01:37   Link #73
Matt122005

By the way, for anyone curious about the "cell phone novel" aspect of this series, thought you might be curious to know that they aren't limited to Japan anymore.

There is an English website called TextNovel that is trying to bring the format over.

Here's an example of one of their top series (it's a romantic comedy with dashes of supernatural): Click Here

I wonder though if the format could do well in America, considering the overall low reading levels currently existing. Oh well.

Also, I really hope they license this series.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 09:18   Link #74
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
If they license this series, I'D BUY IT even though I have the Japanese tankoubon. I'm that much of a fan.

FORGET WHAT I SAID ABOUT CHAPTER 12. CHAPTER 13 IS BETTER
..............so...freaking....HOT....IN...HERE.....
Old 2010-04-29, 12:33   Link #75
Sol Falling

lol, you've seen the raw? :P Getting me hyped so early...who knows when the chapter will come out.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 23:22   Link #76
KrimzonStriker

Wait, How'd you get the RAW? Must have RAWS

Edit: GOOD LORD!! Chapter 13 had some major overheating!!
Old 2010-05-01, 23:33   Link #77
Sol Falling

Check the mangafox page/forum for this manga. People will sometimes post raws and spoilers there. Chiibi is actually the one who translated/wrote the spoiler/summary thread this time...mad props .
Old 2010-05-01, 23:46   Link #78
KrimzonStriker

Was an interesting summary, can't wait for the next one now
Old 2010-05-10, 20:46   Link #79
Riltz
⌂ Vulcan 300 ⌂

Spoiler for holy chair:
Riltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 22:29   Link #80
Sol Falling

lol. Yandere...? Mami's expression surely was very mysterious, but I'm not at all certain she's gonna go psycho stabber on us.

Yukina was super cute in this chapter.

Tags
character derailment, cheap romance, cliche shoujo, comedy, crappy drama, dumbina, low grade shoujo, not sudden netorare, out of character, romance, school life, shoujo, sudden netorare