AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-08-23, 01:33   Link #2341
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
IMO, The problem with GSD wasn't it's main plot. The main plot was fine and actually pretty good. It was the secondary plots and relationship plots (with the exceptions of King Kira and Queen Lacus) that turns up to be a mess.
What if I told you 90% of the people who hate this show found the part above emboldened as the thing that actually ruined the potential of this show? You're right, the main plot was fine until The King and Queen $hit overshadowed the entire plot and made it meaningless...What chance does a main plot have against Lacus' offscreen WTF epicness? The mess was the K&Q crap amongst so much more, but Kira and Lacus taking over is where it begins from a critical standpoint....
Old 2011-08-23, 03:04   Link #2342
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
You're right. It's not the only factor why GSD was a disappointment. Here are some other plausible reasons (which I already mentioned):

*Fukuda/Morosawa being demanding on/clashing with the VAs (Ishida, Shindo, Tanaka, Suzumura, Sakamoto)
*Morosawa was becoming ill/depressed, resulting in her turning her scripts late; one of the animators called her out for this
*Shinn wasn't getting over as Sunrise/Bandai hoped, and Kira and Co. were still over w/ the Japanese audience

I forgot to mention that Fukuda's 2003 interview (which was done after Seed was completed) was a harbinger of what was gonna happen in Destiny (esp. that comment explaining that Andrew was resurrected because of a lack of "cool adults" in the show, as well as referring to Orb as "his idealized Japan").

The first is not likely as the voice acting was never a problem with the series. You're always going to get backroom drama, every Gundam Director has some story to tell. Imagawa isn't shy about telling people some of the backroom drama with G Gundam. In fact G Gundam was the Gundam series with the most meddling because of the failure of V Gundam. You can blame Bandai/Sunrise for telling Kuroda and Mizushima to create a masked character but you can't blame them for how Graham turned out.

The second is unknown as no one has said anything, all we know is that Morosawa's illness has put the Gundam Seed movie on hiatus. We don't know what illness she had, or when she had it.

The third is likely though as the original Gundam Seed cast where some of the most popular characters of the past decade. According to the Newtype poll for the most popular characters of the decade. Kira Yamato was second most popular male, while Athrun Zala was third, meanwhile Shinn got 17th place. Cagalli was the most popular female of the decade while Lacus got second meanwhile Lunamaria got 22nd place. This is also shown with Athrun, in the tv series they show that he ends up with Meyrin, but in the movies it's instead shown that he goes back to Orb to be with Cagalli.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 07:27   Link #2343
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

HD Remaster for 10th Anniversary. So they are just planning to re-release everything on Blu-Ray to milk the fans further with nothing else planned.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 07:43   Link #2344
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

great news, if this means remaster of desert arc with superior animation... Me likey. Honestly, if Kira's Strike Battles weren't half-assed animation, people would be worshipping this guy.

HD Fllay won't hurt too.

Last edited by aeriolewinters; 2011-08-23 at 08:56.
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 10:50   Link #2345
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
Honestly, if Kira's Strike Battles weren't half-assed animation, people would be worshipping this guy.
But... thats what happened for the past decade...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 10:53   Link #2346
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
What if I told you 90% of the people who hate this show found the part above emboldened as the thing that actually ruined the potential of this show? You're right, the main plot was fine until The King and Queen $hit overshadowed the entire plot and made it meaningless...What chance does a main plot have against Lacus' offscreen WTF epicness? The mess was the K&Q crap amongst so much more, but Kira and Lacus taking over is where it begins from a critical standpoint....

The relationship by itself was fine, and I don't know where you get that because all the discussions I've remembered pointed the finger more on ShinxStella, ShinxLunaxAthrun, AthrunxCagallixMey, heck even NeoxMarrue before KiraxLacus. And if we got non-romance route, Athrun-Shinn, Athrun-Kira, ShinxEveryone, all had bigger problem as well.

Even tilled the midway point when Kira is musou-ing the MS like noobs, the plot was still acceptable with most people. Most Gundam Vateran can list similar domination from other Gundam series. The real hate started between episode 30-40 when ShinXStella been severely under-developed and awkwardly written which causes Destory-Gundam part making no sense what so ever and nailed Shin strictly to the wall with the "brat" label and everything after that spiraled down-hill.

It's one thing to say Kira and Lacus individually or together overshadows the show and one of biggest reason why the GSD fail in eye of a lot of Gundam Veterans, (including me) but the romance part between them never had huge impact on the main plot itself and was not the issue. The only time that romance impacted the main plot directly was when Gilbert sending assasins after Lacus which force Kira to act, and that was a pretty logical response and logical development and subsequently Laucs gave Strike Freedom to Kira which he proceeded to dominate the show again, but by that time the show has already turned into crap and it was too late to move Kira back into support role.

I mean really, KiraxLacus was basically set in stone even before the GSD started, and in GSD their mutual interaction has little to impact the main plot compare to the others I mentioned and the spot where they actually show their love-love side were not intrusive to the plot.

BTW, I was actually shocked the read that next year will be the 10th anniversary of GS, It seem only 5,6 years ago at most, God, I'm getting old.....

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-08-23 at 12:31.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 10:59   Link #2347
Tak

Quote:
It's one thing to say Kira and Lacus individually overshadows the show, but the romance part between them never had huge impact on the main plot itself.
Not that there was much time devoted to their romance

Their relationship was pretty much cemented after the post- SEED OVA. Hell, they are as good as married.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-08-23, 11:53   Link #2348
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Not that there was much time devoted to their romance

Their relationship was pretty much cemented after the post- SEED OVA. Hell, they are as good as married.

- Tak
Exactly, that's why I don't get what wingdarkness was talking about and where this 90% comes from. Being a GSD hater myself. (BTW, GS was fine, I personally thought it was best Gundam TV if not most enjoyable since Z, and is competitive with ZZ and Turn A).

I also never heard any other haters criticize the romance aspect of the two as the problem for the show either. (if they do , they are already KiraxLacus haters back in GS and is against the relationship itself and most likely GS hater as well) Back then I was WAY more active in A LOT MORE forums (English and foreign alike). Hell, I even help running some of them...

I mean their presences, sure, but not their romance. To me, the little sweet spots they throws in between the two was what kept this series from falling apart even more. Heck, it gets to the point the only thing that kept me watching was hope that the two will have hot-steamy sex ala KiraxFllay in GS.

The biggest problem of GSD was that instead of going Shin-route as the show suppose to, it immediately turns into Athrun-route then Kira-route. And instead of turns it into Kira-only route then, they keep trying and forcing Shin-route back into it. Ultimately ends up as a story where the main plot was told from supporting and background side.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-08-23 at 12:34.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 12:02   Link #2349
Tak

Quote:
The biggest problem of GSD was that instead of going Shin-route as the show suppose to, it immediately turns into Athrun-route then Kira-route. And instead of turns it into Kira-only route then, they keep trying and forcing Shin-route back into it. Ultimately ends up as a story where the main plot was told from supporting and background side.
I couldn't agree more. The way they kept on forcing Shinn route into the impossible eventually made GSD unbearable as a horrible story-telling exercise. Yet, when GSD was first announced, I already had doubts as to how the hell is Shinn ever going to keep up with Kira? Eventually the show itself proved me right. However, why keep on thrusting Shinn back into the behemoth that is Kira (with additional invincibility bonus provided by no less than Queen-Lacus herself)? If the producers already made up their mind in focusing on Kira & Lacus throughout the remainder of GSD, then let it be so. Don't further the mistake by adding another forced entry.

And holy-Batman... the fillers man, FILLERS!

- Tak

Old 2011-08-23, 12:11   Link #2350
GundamFan

I gotta agree Kira and Lacus romantic relationship wasn't GSD problem the problem was too much clipping and they went from a story with Shinn as the protagonist to rotating the protagonist role between Shinn and Kira which wasn't excuted very well. Personally I think they should have let poor Shinn fade into the background rather then destroying his character during the 2nd half of the show.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 12:20   Link #2351
Undertaker

And it ends up with all sides being under developed.

I mean during episode 20-25 when it's clear that Kira is taking over, they should just stuck to it and concentrate on how Kira and co. tries to figure out what Gilbert is trying to do, but then they switch to Stella part, but instead of using this opportunity to build Shin back into lead role, they cut it short again...and then cycle repeats and Shin became the butt jokes for many people...

Seriously, with the size of the main plot to execute that rotation they'll need another 2-cours (24-26 episodes) to make it work but that didn't happen.
Old 2011-08-23, 15:02   Link #2352
GundamFan

Quote:
And it ends up with all sides being under developed.

I mean during episode 20-25 when it's clear that Kira is taking over, they should just stuck to it and concentrate on how Kira and co. tries to figure out what Gilbert is trying to do, but then they switch to Stella part, but instead of using this opportunity to build Shin back into lead role, they cut it short again...and then cycle repeats and Shin became the butt jokes for many people...

Seriously, with the size of the main plot to execute that rotation they'll need another 2-cours (24-26 episodes) to make it work but that didn't happen.
Yeah I agree they should have just stuck with Kira and his group there really was no need to destroy Shinn's character and turn him into Gilbert's semilucid attack dog. I do think they might have needed more then additional 24-26 episodes to make things work with the way Fukuda liked to use clips.

Personally I'm still hopeful they'll release the Stargazer dvd over here some day and that's about it from the Cosmic Era.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 15:35   Link #2353
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

There were some pretty nice looking scenes in SEED which i wouldn't mind seeing in HD, so i'll be sure to check out the release next year.

Do i want to watch Jesus Yamato in HD? Not really.
Old 2011-08-23, 15:38   Link #2354
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post
I do think they might have needed more then additional 24-26 episodes to make things work with the way Fukuda liked to use clips.

Personally I'm still hopeful they'll release the Stargazer dvd over here some day and that's about it from the Cosmic Era.
Yeah, the clips and recaps itself consumed 1/3 of the duration in each episode, I think.

If there will be a movie or third season, maybe they should focus on Selene and Sven from Stargazer since they're quite under developed. Also, more Dearka and Yzak will be interesting. Sure Kira & co. can still appear occasionally.
Old 2011-08-23, 19:42   Link #2355
Washu-Chan