AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-09-05, 01:19   Link #701
OctoberFlames

It's official. Another Medaka faceroll victory.

Raws are here: http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/51572/1

Seriously, you don't even have to wait for the translation to get what's going on. I read for about 7 pages and stopped.

Even Haruhi had some drama this week. What the hell Isin.
OctoberFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 01:26   Link #702
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramojones View Post
Your words fit your avatar

I wonder what the last chapter of the manga will be like once it gets cut, a disturbingly abrupt relationship for Zen?
Yup. It won't be much different than the current relationship, but Zen will probably end up with a collar and chain literally around his throat, with Medaka leading him around like a dog. He will be renamed "Wan Wan Zenkichi". (Wan is Japanese for a dog barking).

I really think this chapter was a culmination of all the frustrations everyone has had with the manga since it's serialization. We're once again treated to a Medaka powerfest with no sense of conflict at all, except this time taken to the extreme, without a sign of character development in sight. Next thing we know, she'll be hurling planets at people. It's the same exact thing we've been getting for the previous 16 chapters, just getting worse.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 06:03   Link #703
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
I find it ironic that while this chapter is "all" about Medaka, they still managed to squeeze in some development for Onigase.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 06:14   Link #704
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Yup. It won't be much different than the current relationship, but Zen will probably end up with a collar and chain literally around his throat, with Medaka leading him around like a dog. He will be renamed "Wan Wan Zenkichi". (Wan is Japanese for a dog barking).
But it proves, Zenkichi is not a member of Medaka harem. He is a member of her kennel

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 06:41   Link #705
Dark Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
But it proves, Zenkichi is not a member of Medaka harem. He is a member of her kennel
That is a good one
Old 2009-09-05, 07:20   Link #706
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
I find it ironic that while this chapter is "all" about Medaka, they still managed to squeeze in some development for Onigase.
Let me guess, she's becoming another part of Medaka's harem, right? Because that seems to be the only type of development characters get in this manga. It's like they're trying to make her out to be the next Jesus Christ, complete with supernatural powers, with her apostles all bowing and kissing her feet. Heck, she's already (sort of) walked on water. What's next? Water into wine? Dying and ressurecting?
Old 2009-09-05, 11:23   Link #707
Jourdal

Quote:

I really think this chapter was a culmination of all the frustrations everyone has had with the manga since it's serialization. We're once again treated to a Medaka powerfest with no sense of conflict at all, except this time taken to the extreme, without a sign of character development in sight. Next thing we know, she'll be hurling planets at people. It's the same exact thing we've been getting for the previous 16 chapters, just getting worse.
Agree...but you're sort of wrong...it wasn't since the serialization that we were like this..things were fine in the beginning...

Remember the good old days?
-Zenkichi handled the suggestion box?
-Lovely medaka Fanservice?
-Shiranui?
-Zen was the narrator and shown MORE?
-Zens' martial arts skills and the club storm?

When did the good old days end? the minute we saw Akune Kouki..and they haven't found their way back yet either..

Also it seems the first volume is due in october.
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 12:48   Link #708
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Let me guess, she's becoming another part of Medaka's harem, right? Because that seems to be the only type of development characters get in this manga. It's like they're trying to make her out to be the next Jesus Christ, complete with supernatural powers, with her apostles all bowing and kissing her feet. Heck, she's already (sort of) walked on water. What's next? Water into wine? Dying and ressurecting?
If I didn't know any better, I would think that you disliked Medaka God-moding everything :3

In any case, I am just viewing the chapters up until now as a single arc, which most or less involved recruitment of all of the positions, I mean One Piece more or less started moving forward once they gained a decent amount of members to go into the grand line (but i'm in no way comparing the quality of these two series). It just seems to me to be a better idea to move forward to the story once the core characters have been introduced and have their positions in the story. I'd rather see a complete turn around after seeing a multitude of examples where Medaka God-moded the world as opposed to it happening in the beginning of the series. Of course this is just me hoping such a turn around will happen >.>, so disregard it if you must.
Old 2009-09-05, 12:56   Link #709
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
If I didn't know any better, I would think that you disliked Medaka God-moding everything :3

In any case, I am just viewing the chapters up until now as a single arc, which most or less involved recruitment of all of the positions, I mean One Piece more or less started moving forward once they gained a decent amount of members to go into the grand line (but i'm in no way comparing the quality of these two series). It just seems to me to be a better idea to move forward to the story once the core characters have been introduced and have their positions in the story. I'd rather see a complete turn around after seeing a multitude of examples where Medaka God-moded the world as opposed to it happening in the beginning of the series. Of course this is just me hoping such a turn around will happen >.>, so disregard it if you must.
One difference is that Medaka does not have the time for this. It is way too unpopular, so you may find yourself into situation 'Wow, all members recruited now lets watch the plot move. HUH? It gets cut? Now thats a pity."
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 13:00   Link #710
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Not true. It won't get cut any time soon, because there were just two new series that debuted, TLR just ended, and unless HxH returns, then nothing will get cut until at least November, which gives the series ample time to move forward. Speaking of which, should HxH return, my bet is on Kagijin getting cancelled in its wake, though waiting on HxH to return is like trying to watch a flower bloom.
Old 2009-09-05, 13:02   Link #711
Dark Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
One difference is that Medaka does not have the time for this. It is way too unpopular, so you may find yourself into situation 'Wow, all members recruited now lets watch the plot move. HUH? It gets cut? Now thats a pity."
you are right if it still is in the bottom five it just might get cut off now that Akaboshi has pulled itself up. So then it would probably be Kagijin and Medaka
Old 2009-09-05, 15:12   Link #712
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:

I'm not a big fan of God Mode Sues in the first place, Medaka just makes it worse because Nishio has done everything that he possibly could wrong with her so far. ><

I just really hope this is all a set up to wow us with something. The longer the manga goes on, the more my doubts rise, sadly, but there's still some small glimmer of hope.

I still think the best thing that can happen to Medaka Box right now is to have Zenkichi, fed up of being last in the council, despite all he's done for Medaka, leave (hopefully, become more than just a narrator for Medaka in the process). Having Medaka's perfect world crash down around her would be great as it would at least give this story some much needed conflict. If things don't change, and it just keeps doing the same thing week in and week out with Medaka solving everything with her Sueness, then it won't last long because obviously what the author is doing now is NOT working.
Old 2009-09-05, 15:50   Link #713
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I have no idea how Bakemonogatari and (from what I've heard) Zaregoto can be so brilliant while this can be so fail.

I find it hard to believe NisiOisiN isn't planning something. Whether it's not "how to utterly ruin a good premise" or not remains to be seen.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 16:13   Link #714
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I find it hard to believe NisiOisiN isn't planning something.
That's where all my hope in this series is concentrated to, it seems too easy a trap to fall into, so I'm really suspicious. Also, if it's that easy to know it's a bad idea, and the author's editor hasn't done anything about it...then something has to be up.
Old 2009-09-05, 16:24   Link #715
Darknemo2000

Quote:
That's where all my hope in this series is concentrated to, it seems too easy a trap to fall into, so I'm really suspicious. Also, if it's that easy to know it's a bad idea, and the author's editor hasn't done anything about it...then something has to be up.
Man, it is NisiOisiN we are talking about. Maybe editor also hope against the odds that the name will prove itself sometime in the future.

But there are two 'buts'. One is that name does not always mean you cannot make some crap and fail utterly. Like I just watched Sharapova getting her ass kicked by a no-name Oudin, tough just by a name Sharapova should have won it. NisiOisiN can also have his utter fail 'matches' where he takes one bad decision after another, and while everyone waits holding their breaths when the master will finally show his true skills, the match is already over.

Another thing it is manga is not a novel. Just because you are a good novelist does not mean you can write good plot for manga, just like being a good writer does not make you a good director.
Old 2009-09-05, 16:26   Link #716
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

...Actually, although a manga is a lot more... visual... than a novel is, the process of story-creating is still fairly similar. Not only that, NisiOisiN's genius comes from how he destroys and subverts cliches and typical plotlines, which I think a lot of people were expecting out of this.

We aren't getting that. Not yet.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 16:30   Link #717
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Another thing it is manga is not a novel. Just because you are a good novelist does not mean you can write good plot for manga.
Of course it doesn't guarentee it, we're all hoping that it does turn out that way. In any case, it should guarentee against something that utterly fails, because even someone who isn't a writer, hell most people here know that a story that is following the formula that Medaka Box is following can't last for too long. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result, so I'm willing to give him some benefit of the doubt.
Old 2009-09-05, 16:34   Link #718
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Man, it is NisiOisiN we are talking about. Maybe editor also hope against the odds that the name will prove itself sometime in the future.

But there are two 'buts'. One is that name does not always mean you cannot make some crap and fail utterly. Like I just watched Sharapova getting her ass kicked by a no-name Oudin, tough just by a name Sharapova should have won it. NisiOisiN can also have his utter fail 'matches' where he takes one bad decision after another, and while everyone waits holding their breaths when the master will finally show his true skills, the match is already over.

Another thing it is manga is not a novel. Just because you are a good novelist does not mean you can write good plot for manga, just like being a good writer does not make you a good director.
This was something I actually mentioned before. Mangas rely much more on visual information and character actions than they do description, like in novels. The way the characters have been portrayed, the way they've acted and the things they've done have all fallen flat. In a novel, you could probably get away with all this stuff, as the author can explain everything more clearly. In a manga, we're left to infer a lot of stuff and given how little info we've gotten so far (and how little NisiOisiN seems to want to give), we have to make conclusions based on what we're shown. So far, all we've been shown is that Medaka is an unstoppable force who does everything herself while the other characters are just side devices to fill up her world.
Old 2009-09-05, 16:36   Link #719
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
...Actually, although a manga is a lot more... visual... than a novel is, the process of story-creating is still fairly similar. Not only that, NisiOisiN's genius comes from how he destroys and subverts cliches and typical plotlines, which I think a lot of people were expecting out of this.

We aren't getting that. Not yet.
Its still not the same (with more words you can take our time with characters, with less words you have to be able to construct same depth with much less 'screen time' and not all can do it) but I do understand where you point at - NisiOisiN is famous for being anti-cliche author, and this basic premise of his works is completely missing in Medaka. In fact one could say that Medaka is anti-NisiOisiN so far. Its so bad and horrible that it makes one wonder if maybe it is planned this way, but sometimes even great ones have bad times and can make utter crap just because they fail rather than because they plan... Like I am back to that Sharapova example - at first I thought she is doing this on purpose to make opponent loose the concentration, specially because she can pull such mind games or that she was experimenting because opponent was weak as her strokes were very un-characteristic for her, yet in the end it was just a bad match where she failed at everything.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2009-09-05 at 16:47.
Old 2009-09-05, 16:45   Link #720
Jourdal

Quote:

I agree with you 100% novels and manga are different..especially because of the target audience.

Also..i sat through that train wreck match...Maria served 21 DF...no way in hell are you winning like that..but no name Oudin took out Dementiava last round, and Jankovic in Wimbledon i think

Quote:
Like I am back to that Sharapova example - at first I thought she is doing this on purpose to make opponent loose the concentration, specially because she can pull such mind games, yet in the end it was just a bad match where she failed at everything.
It was a matter of who held in the 3rd set lol.

Your Sharapova analogy fits this situation..

In the first set..Maria does well just like the first few chapters of Medaka..than the second set she gets owned..which i equate to Akune's appearance..then things seemed to pick up a bit..Sharapova breaks..Swim girl comes into the council..then it just gets low from there.
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council