AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-02-14, 08:02   Link #21
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
Well, thanks Mrirchan for the synopsis of the book, it felt good reading the end as the author saw it. But for me Hoshi no Koe, will always remain a special manga closer to a poem than to a movie.
And in this sense, just like a poem, I don't think it really needs to be tied up or to have all it's loose point explained, it just needs to be appreciatede for it's beauty.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 08:57   Link #22
Ara^-^
Shikou

Voice of a distants stars

konichiwa!

I want to discuss about the end of the oav voice of distant star. I wondering if Nagamine Mikako die at the end or we can suppose she will returned to earth ?

I really liked ''She and her cat'' too!!!

Last edited by xris; 2004-04-06 at 10:29. Reason: Thread merged with existing thread (as answer already discussed)
Ara^-^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 11:49   Link #23
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

she lived, she protected her mothership and she still lived at the end of the OVA, I don't think the mothership will just forget about the hero and left her to die there...

About the ending being happy... well, even after she defeated the aliens and protected the mothership, she was not able to return to Earth even after all those years, and I guess you could say it's even more sad than if she died at that time.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 12:19   Link #24
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I know this flies against how everybody hoped the story would end, but I'll share how I hoped it would end.

I was hoping that it would actually take the Lysithea the full 8 years and 7 months to return to earth. Then when the highly anticipated reunion happens... we discover that in those 8 years and 7 months Mikako fell in love with someone else, got happily married and now has 2 children!!!
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 12:43   Link #25
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
I know this flies against how everybody hoped the story would end, but I'll share how I hoped it would end.

I was hoping that it would actually take the Lysithea the full 8 years and 7 months to return to earth. Then when the highly anticipated reunion happens... we discover that in those 8 years and 7 months Mikako fell in love with someone else, got happily married and now has 2 children!!!
another ending could be that when she returned to earth, she found out that the guy has left Earth with the Space Force and went through some unknown wormhole
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 12:53   Link #26
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
About the ending being happy... well, even after she defeated the aliens and protected the mothership, she was not able to return to Earth even after all those years, and I guess you could say it's even more sad than if she died at that time.
Well, if you read the comments made earlier in this thread...

Spoiler:
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 13:14   Link #27
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
another ending could be that when she returned to earth, she found out that the guy has left Earth with the Space Force and went through some unknown wormhole
That would have been great too. I love those Ultimate Sadness (aka. Kick 'em when they're down!) endings.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 22:51   Link #28
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

I was reading the manga and i really like to see a remake with a longer series. maybe a 12 or 13 Ep series. Still can't believed the whole thing was created on a mac by one person.
Old 2007-06-27, 10:02   Link #29
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

Finished it this morning.

Hoshi No Koe was okay. I bought into all the hype and was a little disappointed. Maybe the hype surrounding the movie made my expectations too high. If my expectations weren't heightened; I probably would have enjoyed the film more.

Otherwise, I thought it was a decent short. The brief characterization was good and the theme of separation was handled nicely. What really amazed me is that Shinkai worked by himself on his freakin' home computer to produce this. He truly deserves kudos.

My rating for this OVA would be 7.5/10.
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 10:12   Link #30
neoko

It's good when you don't expect anything, and even more awesome when you realised it was made by 1 person. As an OVA though it's not like you can expect much. I don't think there are many OVAs out there that deserve more than a 7 or an 8. I could be wrong, none of my favorite animes happen to be OVAs, and my favorite OVA is ROD. I liked the characters a lot
neoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 23:16   Link #31
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
It's good when you don't expect anything
Ah, my first time was watching at a free viewing by the film club at school. They used one of the air conditioned lecture rooms and turned off the lights so it really felt like watching at a theater (sans the popcorn and drinks). I've never read any of the reviews or descriptions, just saw a few trailers before the show. While I had a good idea about the quality of the animation, the story and characterization really took my be surprise. Needless to say, I was pretty much distracted in my later subjects, thinking about the movie.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 20:59   Link #32
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoko View Post
It's good when you don't expect anything
Hmmm...you're right about that. I might need to abandon summaries and reviews for awhile. =P I probably just need to ignore the hype or disdain provided by the general consensus of anime viewers.

Thanks for the advice; I'll take it to heart.
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 21:33   Link #33
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

When you consider it's only 25 minutes long, it packs an awful lot of story in, it feels like a 90 minute film in terms of plot, but of course to achieve this a lot of stuff that could have done with more development gets glossed over or squeezed down to a couple of sentences.

I thought Hoshi no Koe had a fuller story line than another short film I saw around the same time, Blood the Last Vampire, which was nearly twice as long (45 mins) but left me feeling they'd skimped on the plot. Blood was more atmospheric though, probably the most seamless mix of cgi and cel animation I've seen. Hoshi no Koe has great cgi but is let down by indifferent 2D work on the main characters.

It's still one of my favourite anime though, I think it makes a great intro to anime for a newcomer since it's short and self-contained, and being essentially a lovingly blended pastiche of anime clichés it has a bit of everything that is good about anime.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 08:17   Link #34
FuzzyWuzzy

There is no concrete evidence that she died or she lived and safely came back to earth.

To me the whole point of the ending is HOPE.
Hope that she lived, went safely back to earth and married Noburu.
'
edit:

K just found out in the manga that she lived and Noburu tries to rescue her.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 21:44   Link #35
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

resurrect dead thread, 20 mp points...

my favorite film from Makoto Shinkai. Why it wasn't up for an oscar was beyond me.. recently found out about the manga and read it while listening to the sound track. it seems they're meant to supplement each other. manga filled in holes in the movie, but the movie was needed because the manga skimped on some of the details. i think its incredibly touching that even after all those years, Noboru is going after her. in the anime, we know he joins the space forces in hope of reuniting with her, but the manga actually clarifies that he's going on the mission explicitly to find her.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 15:22   Link #36
tebahpla
Not B&

im getting quite confused here.

from what I see is that there are 2 different endings, one from the manga and another from the novel.

so the novel takes a different approach on how the two manage to have a reunion as in the manga, it's still left open but it does state that she lives after the battle.
tebahpla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 21:49   Link #37
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

no, its basically the same ending, but different parts of the ending are shown in each.

in the anime: the battle ends with the human excursion force winning, but taking terrible losses. the Lysithia is the only surviving cruiser. They have their "I'm here" moment with Mikako surviving the battle and Noboru finally getting the space force assignment* he wanted.

manga: Battle's over, it shows Mikako clearly alive, shows Noboru getting the assignment* to scout out the battle of Agartha. Mikako's other friend, Hisa, is also on her way back to see them. (Hisa is a manga only character.) The manga ending implies that they'll meet up together again, but whether they'll take the same 9 years for him to get there remains a mystery, because there was talk about a new galaxy shortcut anchor.

its implied in both that they still love each other and will meet again, but the manga solidifies that position, which makes it that much better. the manga supplements the anime because it leaves out key details and fleshes out events that are quick cuts in the anime.

my favorite work of Shinkai's. he made a movie just as touching as Byousoku and to a lesser extent Place Promised without the budget of his latter two.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 18:13   Link #38
deltakano
1つの愛

It has an ending similar to 5 cm/s. It's bittersweet. The evergrowing distance made it highly unlikely for both protagonists to meet each other again.
deltakano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 14:52   Link #39
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltakano View Post
It has an ending similar to 5 cm/s. It's bittersweet. The evergrowing distance made it highly unlikely for both protagonists to meet each other again.
Actually I agree with you but in a way I strongly disagree with you also.

The ending of both anime are miles apart. In fact, not just miles apart, it's like heaven and hell apart.

One gives you hope. The other cuts off all hope.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 16:00   Link #40
ViewtifulAlchemist

I got interested in reading the manga after watching the anime OAV of this. The OAV was good but so short that I felt I didn't really get a chance to feel anything for the characters. I thought the manga was the best out of the two medias, felt way more fleshed by giving more depth to the situation by having the side characters (Noburu's temp/potential new girlfriend, Mikato's friend and teacher) give their point of view and the more conclusive ending. I read the novel spoiler ending earlier in this thread and think I would still like the manga overall, the novel ties up the loose ends a little bit touch much as it seems to ruin the theme of just "Hope" that the manga and anime had for their endings. I felt that was more touching way to end.

Also while the animation had great CGI backgrounds I didn't dig the character models too much while on the other hand I thought the manga character models were some of the better ones I've seen before. Still if the fact that Shinkai Makoto worked on this project alone (I thought he only worked on She and her Cat alone?) than he still deserve major respect for that.

Either way, nice, simple, and touching love story. Easily recommendable no matter what the media type.
ViewtifulAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance