AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-11, 01:01   Link #161
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
I disagree with all the hate in here.
This is definately one of the shows that catches my eyes this season.

One thing, I rofl at the speech about the spiral theory. Gurren Lagann popped up in my mind right away
Old 2009-04-11, 01:27   Link #162
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Has there been any official confirmation on the number of episodes this series is going to have? I saw a review on ANN say "This 13 episode series", which seemed weird since there's nothing on the website or anything saying how long it is.

Is there an announcement somewhere I missed? Because this definitely seems like a 24 episode series...
It's 12 episodes. Their source is from a magazine, I think. But it's also possible that the series is separated 24 episodes (just like White Album).
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 02:41   Link #163
Unregistered00

There's a 120+mb 2nd episode of Asura Cryin' by Saitei-Subs. Is the quality any good. The size is pretty small.
Unregistered00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 02:42   Link #164
BiFr0st

Other than the main character the anime isnt so bad.. Its only the beginning so i guess its alright to be a bit confusing but it will probably be a let down if its only going to be like 13 eps.
BiFr0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 03:18   Link #165
ZODDGUTS

Can't say I'm impress with this series it's alright but nothing great so far. The lack of explaination is annoying hope they clear things up soon.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 06:45   Link #166
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
It's 12 episodes. Their source is from a magazine, I think. But it's also possible that the series is separated 24 episodes (just like White Album).
Seeing how fast the second episode is getting into things, i can see how this should would be 12 episodes, easily.
Old 2009-04-11, 08:09   Link #167
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
Ah... That's a shame. Well, I just hope 2ch is unreliable, since I'm really liking this series. XD
Old 2009-04-11, 10:39   Link #168
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Same. I was hoping it would be given 24 episodes to give adequate time for the characters and the plot.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 10:47   Link #169
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Same. I was hoping it would be given 24 episodes to give adequate time for the characters and the plot.
& how do you know 12 may not be enough? For all we know 24/26 episodes may just drag the story, and i for one wouldn't want that to happen.
Old 2009-04-11, 11:00   Link #170
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I don't. I guess that's a good point, since that's what happens to a lot of poorly executed 2-cour series.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 11:05   Link #171
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
& how do you know 12 may not be enough? For all we know 24/26 episodes may just drag the story, and i for one wouldn't want that to happen.
It's a light novel series with 11 volumes. Typically I give ~6 episodes for the first novel, 3-6 for the ones after. That's only enough for like 2 novels, which is usually not very satisfying.
Old 2009-04-11, 11:09   Link #172
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
It's a light novel series with 11 volumes. Typically I give ~6 episodes for the first novel, 3-6 for the ones after. That's only enough for like 2 novels, which is usually not very satisfying.
Usually in this case, not all of the novel material will be adapted. For all we know they just plan to tell this story using enough material that will cover 12 episodes.
Old 2009-04-11, 13:27   Link #173
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I wonder if this is roughly the anime version of Donnie Darko with our hero in the role of Donnie

Spoiler for in case you didn't see Donnie Darko:

Poor Misao was a "human sacrifice" for the machine. Hopefully, that gets explained more.

Anyways, this is getting interesting.

Last edited by orion; 2009-04-11 at 13:44.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 13:34   Link #174
zibi88

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I wonder if this is the anime version of Donnie Darko with our hero in the role of Donnie having the power to correct the issue or end the world a second time.

Poor Misao was a "human sacrifice" for the machine. Hopefully, that gets explained more.
maybe they can bring her back to life but he needs to win that fight or something... well that guy had strange flashbacks like from past while recevieng that case... (maybe it was him or his brother)

maybe he forgot everything after that plane accident or after first releaseing that black machine..... but that someone mentioned that he can save her with this thing... so maybe thre is a way to save Misao (she is funny character and really likes tomoharu ^^ they would be a nice couple )

I wonder how did Misao even foun Tomoharu in that hospital after accident... she had to be brought there by someone after all.... anyway time will show but it seems that if Misao takes the attacks then Tomoharu gets hurt too...
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 13:38   Link #175
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

We also don't know yet who the person was that was leaving the hospital before we saw Tomoharu.
Old 2009-04-11, 14:27   Link #176
zibi88

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
We also don't know yet who the person was that was leaving the hospital before we saw Tomoharu.
I would goes it could be tomoharu's older brother (well he is his family after all and mostly he heared what happened to his brother), that doctor that we saw from flashback (maybe he brought Miasao to him) or it was tomoharu from fufture XDXD (but I hope that Misao will turn out to be alive at the end ^^ she seems to like tomoharu very much and she is mostly jelous of other girls around tomoharu [kinda sad that she cant hug him or anything] )

anyway time will show sad tha 1ep for week >__<
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 15:39   Link #177
Key Board
Carbon

I really can't stand the main character's personality.

And there's something about the voice that makes it even more irritating than it should be.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 16:24   Link #178
kyou_desu

Episode two was good but 134 episodes only? umm
Freebies:

kyou_desu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 16:52   Link #179
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I really can't stand the main character's personality
As of now, I can't even see a personality.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 19:32   Link #180
RandomFlameStrike

Hm what's with all this hate for Tomoharu? I personally think he's an upgrade from the usual harem loser. He has an unnatural ability to stay calm in crazy situations, and doesn't piss off the girls. There's no bs harem violence that's so cliched around Tomoharu. Although that's mostly the quality of the girls and not him. He doesn't have much going for him personality wise, but I can't find anything against him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium View Post
For the record there is a HUGE difference between confusing and limited information.

So far there is little that is confusing about Asura. It's pretty straightforward, there isn't a lot there yet to be confused by. There are a bunch of factions, a few glimpses into what we probably all assume is the past, and these "mecha" (we don't even know if they're mechanical yet) that come from goo / the shadows.

Yes we don't know much, that is for sure, but the series is hardly confusing. One might think that Asura will turn out to be like Ga Rei Zero, at least in so far as the series appears to be taking the in media res story initiation option. However Ga Rei wasn't even confusing, you as the viewer simply had imperfect information for the first half of the ride.

Confusing is when they never explain anything, and it's always mysterious, and you never gain more information. Its seems like in this case, instead, we're along for the ride, and the whole *point* is to make our degree of knowledge be the same as the main character.

Going completely aside (although still tangential to Asura), if you as the viewer have nearly complete knowledge of the setting, the factions, what's going on etc, watching the journey as the main character recovers his memory, or discovers his father's past involvement in the conspiracy or whatever might not be fun... whereas if you are surprised by everything it makes for a different story. Not that the former can't be fun to watch (or more often times poignant ), just that typically that kind of story, the point is that you need to know the "ending" or the "past" in order to appreciate how the present is displayed. Think shootout in Boondock Saints, it's a completely different scene if you know the old guy is the brothers' father no?

-O
Yeah I totally agree with you here. I read people whining about how this show is too confusing too them, but how about you aren't supposed to know yet? I have an overall idea about what the plot is, and I stash the seemingly random non-connecting info in the back of my head for future evaluation to see if it all adds up in the end. Then I enjoy the ride. When something doesn't make sense I just form a temporary standing conclusion to fill in until more info is revealed. I think Tomoharu does something similar since he's in the same boat as the viewers. All this crap is happening and he doesn't have enough info, but he has to adapt to the situation as it develops.

It's a bit weird how they didn't follow up last ep's cliff hanger, but I can pretty much guess what happened. I think the three factions retreated since once Tomoharu opened the box their goals were either completed or screwed up so their was no more point in pro-longing the fight. Then the mecha must have returned to the box after some time or etc.
Basic thinking skills make anime much less confusing. However if you try to over-think things too early with too less info you're going to hurt your brain. Just analyze what you can and enjoy the show.

Last edited by RandomFlameStrike; 2009-04-11 at 19:46.
RandomFlameStrike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen