Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-11-30, 23:01   Link #1
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to kusabireika
when does Anime Adapation become good or bad?

when does Anime Adapation become good or bad? well I just notice that some manga/light novel are adapted to anime so my question when does become a good adaptation or bad one

What are the reason that make Anime Adaptation a very Sucessful one or a massive Failure ?
Old 2014-12-01, 00:46   Link #2
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
That depends on what your definition of a good adaptation is. Strictly speaking, a good adaptation follows the source material as much as possible, while a bad one will deviate heavily from the original piece. Then, there's the quality of what's being adapted itself. A work can be a faithful adaptation and still be a trash show because the original work also sucks, or it can be an unfaithful adaptation but makes a good show from a lacking piece. Measuring only the quality of the show itself, methinks there's hardly any fast rule.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-01, 04:55   Link #3
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kinomoto View Post
That depends on what your definition of a good adaptation is. Strictly speaking, a good adaptation follows the source material as much as possible, while a bad one will deviate heavily from the original piece. Then, there's the quality of what's being adapted itself. A work can be a faithful adaptation and still be a trash show because the original work also sucks, or it can be an unfaithful adaptation but makes a good show from a lacking piece. Measuring only the quality of the show itself, methinks there's hardly any fast rule.
I disagree that it has to follow the source to be good. I mean you said it yourself...

As long as the original(by original I mean the non-source material) content is well written and well directed I don't see what's the problem. I was actually hoping they would not follow the source for the Tokyo ESP adaptation... much like what they did to the Ga-rei adaptation... cause well I've read the manga and TBH Tokyo ESP manga is very average...
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!

Last edited by MartianMage; 2014-12-01 at 08:56.
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-01, 04:59   Link #4
IceHism

For me an adaption is bad when it doesn't have the spirit of the source material. You can alter the storyline and content heavily but i should be able to feel an equal or greater amount of emotion when i watch the anime when compared to reading the source.

Another problem is when they're sticking to the source but then they omit key important facts that explains things or puts things in perspective.
Also, rushing. Rushing is the killer of all anime adaptions.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-01, 08:23   Link #5
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

It depends on what the adaptors' goal is. If it's just swinging around a franchise name that has recently become popular to cash on it just by lazily showing an "animated version" of the VN/LN/manga characters (basically everything DEEN does), then it is a bad adaption.

However if the adaptors are fans of the source material, communicate with the source-material author for information and lore and actually have a personal motivation of adapting it alongside making money, then the chances of it becoming a good adaption are very high.

Of course it's not possible to generlize anime studios into "good" and "bad", as for example Mahou Sensou was done by Madhouse and was generally considered to be very, very bad adaption, however No Game No Life by the same studio managed to be considered not only a great adaption, but also a great anime by itself.
Old 2014-12-01, 08:33   Link #6
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
I disagree that it has to follow the source to be good. I mean you said it yourself...
So are you disagreeing with me or affirming what I just said?
GANBARIMASU
Old 2014-12-01, 08:40   Link #7
MartianMage

Quote:
So are you disagreeing with me or affirming what I just said?
Pretty sure I've already made clear which part of what you posted was disagreeable =x

and I've bolded the part in your post that explains why.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2014-12-01, 08:56   Link #8
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A good adaptation balances source material faithfulness with format challenges/opportunities.

Anime offers certain challenges and opportunities that are different from manga, LNs, VNs, and video games in general. This is important to keep in mind during the adaptation process.

A good example of a property that was adapted with both source material faithfulness and format in mind was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. There's a few areas where the Haruhi anime had some fun with a LN story. Fun that is only possible with an audiovisual format. But aside from said "fun", the Haruhi anime was very faithful to the source material. A good example of this "fun" was the anime version of Day of Sagittarius.
Old 2014-12-01, 10:08   Link #9
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Pretty sure I've already made clear which part of what you posted was disagreeable =x

and I've bolded the part in your post that explains why.
When I said good adaptation after strictly speaking, I'm talking about the accuracy instead of the quality. Hence why I qualified the next part of my post to measure the quality of the show itself. :S
GANBARIMASU
Old 2014-12-02, 01:55   Link #10
MartianMage

Quote:
When I said good adaptation after strictly speaking, I'm talking about the accuracy instead of the quality. Hence why I qualified the next part of my post to measure the quality of the show itself. :S
Ah ok I get your point.
Old 2014-12-02, 05:23   Link #11
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

To me an adaption is "good" when it is close to the ideal of the best possible compromise between faithfulness to the original material and the necessary adjustments to make it work in the new medium.

A 100% carbon copy transposition is rarely good, and often simply not possible due to time constraints. Moreover if the director simply acted like a machine and not putting something of his, the result would end up appearing as soulless.

On the other hand if the director changed or omitted relevant parts of the plot without a proper reason or if it played the "tune" on a completely different "key" (for example changing into lighthearted what was dramatic) then it couldn't even be considered an adaption anymore.

Most people would agree that Kyoani, Shaft and Ufotable did very good jobs with their adaptions, but it can hardly be said that they were 100% faithful to the original works or that they didn't put their original style in them (especially Shaft).

The most disastrous adaptions are probably from Studio Deen, but I can't really say that the studio itself is completely devoid of talented people, not the best around, but they proved to be quite good with anime like Jigoku Shoujo. Their main problem is, I believe, the fact that often they treat adaptions like cubicle work, copying, cutting whatever they think it can be cut from a superficial analysis, pasting. Some of their worst adaptions show hardly any passion or dedication.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-02, 06:12   Link #12
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Just ignore source material and make good above. If the source material have good stuff then use it. If not, try to salvage or remove it.

If you still complained. Well just read/play source material or Make you own anime and see how hard it is .

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 12:29   Link #13
Idealist 99

When stupid Animator screw Storyline to make time for worthless Ecchi Fan-service , Thats when Anime Adaptation become Bad.
Old 2014-12-05, 22:41   Link #14
DemonOfWrath

One aspect that bring adaptations of action series down that I don't see mentioned much is fight choreography/pacing. It's annoyingly common to have fights that read (in a manga) as very fast and fluid, and then you see it animated to be slow and every move be painfully drawn out for whatever reasons. If you want an example just watch the One Piece anime, dear god the way it adapted fights starting from about Thriller Bark onwards is horrific, fights/action sequences that should take like under a minute being drawn out for 10+.
DemonOfWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-06, 14:23   Link #15
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Have you ever played the telephone game?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers

Basically, sometimes the initial message for adaptations gets contorted too much, and then people get mad.

Besides that, production values matter a lot, which is why some groups known for low values get a lot of blame.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote