AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-10, 19:17   Link #121
Doria

Ha ha, yeah, honestly, I laughed a little, too, at the "Oh, no! Let's go to school!" but, trying to be a little more generous, I can see frightened, confused kids running to the a place they associate with safety and authority figures.

As far as the friends go, I suspect that there's a little bit of both stereotype and possible set-up going on. Based on the fact that it is an eroge, it makes me think that they go for the stereotypes. But even looking at the way the first episode worked, it sets up one completely innocuous scenario to the point of bland cliche, and then ruthlessly takes it apart in the second half. So, I'm inclined to think the secondary characters may work similarly. That's the way things seem to go in games, anyway.

TakumiFuji, as far as your questions, honestly, I don't think we know the answer at this point to the Red Night (except for those who played the game already). Yeah, Kakeru and Yuka aren't blood-related, but they were raised closely together, it seems, so they are like "family." But his actual sister was someone different. And as for the glow, we don't know yet. I don't think he knows yet, either. It seemed connected to both the hand-holding and the Red Night itself, but so far as I could tell, it didn't have any other effects. If anyone else noticed something more, please feel free to correct me. (Oh, and I believe there is a manga as well, but I think it was done after both the game and anime; not 100% sure, though. If someone else knows more, feel free...)

Hope that helps. Sorry I don't have more answers! If you want other plot outlines, though, feel free to ask us here. A lot of members in this thread seem to be familiar with the franchise, and I'm sure they can help you out.
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 00:19   Link #122
KiryuuKazumanosuke

Yeah, Shima-pan and her buddy are more or less stock characters straight out of ero-game central casting. They're relatively unimportant though, and you'll see much less of them as time goes on. In the game their role was to provide enough humor to keep the game from being unplayably depressing until Yukiko and Takahisa showed up, but here both of those characters are appearing right from the start. (Takahisa seems to have woken up on the wrong side of the bed, but he's still there.) So I'd imagine they'll have even more diminished roles.
KiryuuKazumanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 00:35   Link #123
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doria View Post
Ha ha, yeah, honestly, I laughed a little, too, at the "Oh, no! Let's go to school!" but, trying to be a little more generous, I can see frightened, confused kids running to the a place they associate with safety and authority figures.
It helps to remember that--between classes, clubs, extra/cram classes and sports--school, along with the school building, plays a much larger role in the lives of most Japanese teens than their American counterparts.
Old 2009-10-11, 00:49   Link #124
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billborden View Post
Coming at this as a complete innocent (I've never played the game), the first episode accomplished it's purpose--I'll be watching #2, if only to see if I can figure out what the F### is going on

BTW, is it just me, or do the two friends of the main couple seem a bit too much like cardboard cut-outs? I'm trying to decide if it's just bad writing, or if there is a plot twist hidden there, further down the line.

All in all, a good first episode and a show I'll probably keep up with.
Supposedly, my theory is that those two friends are super interference types. Given how Kakeru acts, they probably became his friends by constantly going on the offensive. Maybe that's what makes you think of them as cardboard cut-outs.
Old 2009-10-11, 09:21   Link #125
haiz123321
Obey me world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doria View Post
(Well, that and the ... uh, whatever it is at the beginning reminds me of the Angel persona from Persona 3, with the chains.)
For some reason when people saw the game OP on youtube, they thought it was Persona related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
I rather like the OP, much better than the game's one, IMO. Animation was nice, especially Red Night transition, never paid much attentioon to the BGM, but that should be okay.
Same here, the anime OP is defintely much better than the game's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Spoiler for ep.1:
2) Please explain more.
1 and 3) The answers are spoilers, if you still want to know, pm me.
Quote:
I looked at wikipedia, and why the heck was Shiori placed under side character? She's a gettable heroine in the game, isn't she?
Spoiler for :

Long Live Lelouch! Waiting for Tales of the World:RM2 USA release
haiz123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 09:52   Link #126
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiz123321
2) Please explain more.
For the 2), I mean....

Spoiler for ep.1:
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 23:15   Link #127
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
For the 2), I mean....

Spoiler for ep.1:
Oh, the wound you see is self-inflicted, that's all.

Is the Shiori scene something of an omake, or do I have to make necessary choices to actually get to it?
Old 2009-10-11, 23:38   Link #128
haiz123321
Obey me world!

Quote:
For the 2), I mean....

Spoiler for ep.1:
Yes, the game and the anime both stated that the sister died of suicide in the typical, cut the hand in bathtub type of suicide. Though why she didn't die due to the chain going through her is never explained. The anime has some new scenes that were not in the game so basically the anime might have some twists that have little to no effect on the main storyline, probably to provide those who have played the game with something new.
Quote:
Oh, the wound you see is self-inflicted, that's all.

Is the Shiori scene something of an omake, or do I have to make necessary choices to actually get to it?
I'm pretty sure that Shiori is an optional choice. If I remember correctly, Yukiko's route requires you to have that scene with Shiori though whether it affects her ending or not doesn't matter since it doesn't affect the ending from what I could tell at least.

Old 2009-10-12, 02:33   Link #129
OkamiNoKaze

This is a fun show, yeah as some of you mentioned a bunch of panty shots. I like the music, very eerie. The transition to the red world, reminded me of many RPGs where they would go into a random battle mode. How did I know the grey haired girl, would have a personality like Ruri. I found the smoking nurse hilarious, and quite unexpected.
Old 2009-10-12, 03:35   Link #130
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I rather liked the ED with the 3 girls in maid outfits.....i don't think these 3 will be side characters.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 03:40   Link #131
haiz123321
Obey me world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
I rather liked the ED with the 3 girls in maid outfits.....i don't think these 3 will be side characters.
xD They weren't side characters in the first place. And I can't wait till that scene

Old 2009-10-13, 03:36   Link #132
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
He's not dating Yuka, they're just really close childhood friends
But man, if every male protagonist is that much indebted to his childhood friend, I'll be a VERY happy shipping-wise.

I mean, with quotes like these...

"She has always been beside me and given me kind smiles. What if she had not been with me?"

"I'll protect you! If something weird happens again, I will protect you. So don't you worry."

"Doesn't matter, whatever that was. I don't want to make Yuka feel sad anymore. I hope that won't happen ever again."

...Kakeru certainly is leaps and bounds ahead of your typical male protagonist, who often time don't appreciate the lengths their female childhood friend goes through to help them.

Kakeru also gets brownie points for not only being sensitive to Yuka's feelings by actually changing his mind going to the sale, and also for not carrying Yuka piggyback, but princess style instead lol. Certainly is a breath of fresh air when the typical protagonist thinks that their female childhood friend is just a nuisance to their side... ^_^
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 10:13   Link #133
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
...Kakeru certainly is leaps and bounds ahead of your typical male protagonist, who often time don't appreciate the lengths their female childhood friend goes through to help them.

Kakeru also gets brownie points for not only being sensitive to Yuka's feelings by actually changing his mind going to the sale, and also for not carrying Yuka piggyback, but princess style instead lol. Certainly is a breath of fresh air when the typical protagonist thinks that their female childhood friend is just a nuisance to their side... ^_^
Indeed Kakeru is like that, but I believe that reaction is partially due to how his sister's suicide left him.

He's a lot colder in the game, lol. When he tells Yuka about going to the sale, she actually CRIES because she's so happy.

PS: Given the origin of this anime, I think it's kind of necessary to draw comparisons between the game and the anime sometimes. Just so as long as we avoid anything spoilerish. (That means this can only happen with the joke parts, I believe)
Old 2009-10-13, 11:43   Link #134
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post

Well, lets just say ... don't hold your breath too much Kakeru indeed exhibits deep care towards Yuka, and his overprotectiveness of her is indeed a soft spot. Do not confuse those for romantic implications on his part though, his density would make a block of concrete turn seven shades of green with envy. If the anime changes how Kakeru behaves though in this regard, i am all for it - in original it was a head-banging chore to watch him be as oblivious as inhumanly possible (And why the romance element felt like a failure), so if i never have to experience that again, i will be a happy panda
Old 2009-10-13, 17:19   Link #135
KiryuuKazumanosuke

They've changed his personality a lot in the anime, he's not as soul-crushingly soul-crushed as he is at the start of the game.
In either case, I don't think there's much evidence for the proposition that
Quote:
his density would make a block of concrete turn seven shades of green with envy.
Spoiler for Minor Spoiler that was revealed in ep 1 anyway:
KiryuuKazumanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 21:15   Link #136
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

( ^ω^)................................?

Spoiler for ep2:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 21:28   Link #137
haiz123321
Obey me world!

Quote:
Indeed Kakeru is like that, but I believe that reaction is partially due to how his sister's suicide left him.

He's a lot colder in the game, lol. When he tells Yuka about going to the sale, she actually CRIES because she's so happy.

PS: Given the origin of this anime, I think it's kind of necessary to draw comparisons between the game and the anime sometimes. Just so as long as we avoid anything spoilerish. (That means this can only happen with the joke parts, I believe)
Agreed. I believe they changed some details to give a new feel to people who have played the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Well, lets just say ... don't hold your breath too much Kakeru indeed exhibits deep care towards Yuka, and his overprotectiveness of her is indeed a soft spot. Do not confuse those for romantic implications on his part though, his density would make a block of concrete turn seven shades of green with envy. If the anime changes how Kakeru behaves though in this regard, i am all for it - in original it was a head-banging chore to watch him be as oblivious as inhumanly possible (And why the romance element felt like a failure), so if i never have to experience that again, i will be a happy panda
Yeah, imo, the story was too focused on to the point where the romance was just thrown in as it's an eroge novel

Old 2009-10-14, 07:15   Link #138
Revan21

Ep2
Hungarian is becoming the next popular language or Japan, or what?

Here's a rough translation for the intro speech
"The night suddenly dresses in a reddish light.
Beyond time the space, the world between reality and fantasy.
The merciless black (?)knight is after the boy and the girl.
What brings them to this sinister place?
Will they ever wake up from this nightmare?"
Old 2009-10-14, 09:17   Link #139
Wrath88
Kissing...

Haven't seen yet apart from Omni's blog pics, but from the viewpoint of a person who's going into the anime without the game (yeah right) with a bit of inferencing from what they show:

Spoiler:

Story-wise, what do you think this will focus on more? The backstory (Red Night and why) or the girls' story (Misuzu, Yukiko, Shiori, stalker-girl)?
Old 2009-10-14, 09:39   Link #140
Fimbulvetr

Thank you Revan21 for that translation attempt, seems like it doesn't perfectly match the japanese text in the middle of the screen but still close enough.
赤い夜— それは突然現れる。
現実であり現実ではない、時空を異にする闇世界。
そこへ堕ちた少年少女を "欠片 "と呼び、異形の黒騎士が襲う。
なぜ彼らなのか、いったい何が起こっているのか、
悪夢の果てに、答えはあるのか—?

On the other hand the episode title translation failed this time. "水晶の少女" becomes "egy lány -ban kristály" Can you see how their tl machine tried to tell them that "ban" is a postfix? ^^ "egy lányban" means "in a girl", so what I think they meant to write was "Egy lány a kristályban" ("A Girl in a Crystal").
on a sidenote: I know no hungarian at all. So please feel free to correct me if there's something off here

During the first 10 or so seconds of the opening, a chorus sings something I fail to comprehend still, is that hungarian too?

Last edited by Fimbulvetr; 2009-10-14 at 11:12.
Fimbulvetr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eroge, seinen