AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-03-08, 23:46   Link #41
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
I was confused too. They are guys, but when they transform theyre girls. Someone explained it to me a while ago. Something about when they transform, they go into their past lives when they were...girls. Sounded viable enough for me
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 00:19   Link #42
Secca
nya`
*Artist

ahaha.. now that you mention it... a few years back I saw cosplay some guys wearing sailor fuku in some anime con. I wished I stil have the pictures. (^ ^)
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 04:39   Link #43
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
ahaha.. now that you mention it... a few years back I saw cosplay some guys wearing sailor fuku in some anime con. I wished I stil have the pictures. (^ ^)

Hairy Man-Senshi are scary. 8|
Garylisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 12:05   Link #44
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
I was confused too. They are guys, but when they transform theyre girls. Someone explained it to me a while ago. Something about when they transform, they go into their past lives when they were...girls. Sounded viable enough for me
That's a total load of crock.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 15:13   Link #45
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
It was always a debate among Sailor Moon fans.. "Are the three lights male or female?" ^^;; I might be wrong, but when I looked through all of my Sailor Moon manga, I never found something that could prove us that they're actually female. Maybe in the anime, there is something.. but anyway. There's many different possibilities for that subject;

1-The three lights are actually guys, but they turn into girls when they become sailors. This would be an easy answer because in the manga, it's clearly stated that in order to be a sailor, you have to become a girl. Only girls can be sailors. It would explain why they turn into girls when they transform. Also, their attitude is.. very manly. They aren't just tomboyish.

2-The three lights are actually girls who magically turn into guys when they're on Earth. This would be a lot like Haruka's situation. At first, she was turned into a guy. It wasn't only a disguise. In the manga, you could see a huge difference between man Haruka and woman Haruka. :P For their attitude, well. It's true that they act manly, but so does Haruka. And if you analyze Haruka's character, she does have some "girlish" qualities to her.

3-The three lights aren't male or female, or they're both. Maybe they just can be both genders. Maybe they don't really have a specific gender. In my opinion it's the easiest answer someone can give.. A lot of characters in Sailor Moon are gender confused. There was some ennemies that you can't tell if they're male or female. It wouldn't be surprising if the three lights could be both genders.

4-The three lights are maybe male, or maybe female, but they crossdress either way. :P If that's the case, then they really have good costumes.
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 20:02   Link #46
Maxtro

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I didn't want to make a new one.

Well I finally finished Sailormoon today, about ten years later after I started watching it too. This show has always held a special place in my heart. (No I’m not a girl or gay). It’s the first anime I watched knowing it was anime and it was my favorite for a long time.

I’m very thankful to have Sailorstars available to download. I know it has been subbed by VKLL and I had bought a few of his tapes a long time ago but I couldn’t afford to buy every single episode of this season. Thank you to the person who made them available on bittorrent.

IMO Sailorstars was the best season but it was not without it flaws. It amazes me how weak the main characters are. I know they are girls but it’s still not a reason for them to get their ass kicked by everybody and most of the time they don’t even fight back. They just scream and get knocked around. But the emotional aspect is where the show shines. I could really feel Usagi’s pain on how much she misses Mamouro I even missed good ole rose thrower a bit. At least the Three Lights keep the show from getting way to girly. I was also annoyed that the only relationship was Usagi and Seyia. I was certain that Minako was going to hook up with Yaten and Ami with Taki. I guess the guys were too straight, to get with the girls since they were really girls themselves. So I guess Seyia is a lesbian

After watching Sailorstars I see no reason why it can’t air on Cartoon Network. Yes there are guys who turn in to girls, so what? Even though there are little to no fans left who would want to watch the end it should still have a chance on TV. Even if it doesn’t I’m happy I at least saw it.
Maxtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 21:08   Link #47
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
This really irks me about Toei because they're playing a game of double if not triple standars here. What do I mean? I mean that ALL of Sailor Moon, including the Specials and Stars aired ON TV and UNCUT in Germany/Austria, and even came out (IIRC) on home video dubbed in German.

Are they really that scared of things or do they just want to avoid the stupidity and closed-mindedness of American parents?
That's true, the full five seasons aired uncut and uncensored over here quite some time ago already. There was also a release on Vhs, but only with selected episodes, not with all. They're all sold out now quite some time already.

Concerning Stars: Yes, I think it's the best season as well At least as soon as the true Stars starts, after that poor continuation-of-SuperS-arc
The Pink Spore is absent most of the time, that jerk Mamoru as well, they have their best attacks, Ami shows for a change that there's more to her than just some nerd (ok, that already started somewhat in SuperS, but here it's more prevalent). The only thing I don't like are the ugly pink puffs on Sailor Moon's sleeves. Urgh
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 03:10   Link #48
DekaMaster
Banned

Sailor Moon Stars "laser"

I notice this is from CVME so I am wondering if they got a translator or if they "Borrowed" the work from other fansubs of this episode. So far they have "Borrowed" the work of Animempeg for Ebichu and the work of tv-nihon and the groups that did the PGSM parody sub for PGSM. So I am wondering if this is a legit fansub or if this is another "I used others work" sub.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 23:56   Link #49
Sakuya
*Artist

What is this new "laser" version? Is it better quality than before?
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 01:56   Link #50
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

It could mean they got the source directly from the original laser disc. Sailor Stars has only been released on LD and VHS in Japan so far. Eventually they'll get around to putting it out on Region 2 DVD in Japan (Sailor Moon R's final two volumes come out in December).
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 06:10   Link #51
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

I don't like the "Pink Spore" (Rini), but I like Chibi Usa very much. Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurara
It was always a debate among Sailor Moon fans.. "Are the three lights male or female?" ^^;; I might be wrong, but when I looked through all of my Sailor Moon manga, I never found something that could prove us that they're actually female.
One could say that it's hard to tell in the manga, but I go with the information from a source that is most likely to be a reliable one. Takeuchi Naoko was asked about the Haruka's sex at the San Diego Comic Con in August 1998. She answered that question, and she brought up the Starlights:

"Haruka has always been a girl. Always will be. As for the Starlights, in the manga they were always girls. In the anime, however, they got turned into guys, and I wasn't very happy about it."

That's Ms. Takeuchi's answer. Some people can quibble about whether she is actually a reliable source, but it seems to me that such people are simply shifting the goalposts of the question "What should be considered a satisfactory answer?"
Old 2004-10-14, 22:47   Link #52
Sakuya
*Artist

Surprised to see you here Antie.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 22:54   Link #53
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I am another one of the countless people who started their anime trek with the bad dubs of Sailor Moon. I look back and wonder how I ever survived that dubbing... probably because I was oblivious to the alternatives.

I plan on seeing all 200 eps someday, but it's not really on my current to do list. It's on the backburner right now, but I definitely wouldn't be here without the DiC Sailor Moon.
Old 2004-10-15, 04:55   Link #54
Casshern

Naoko Takeuchi has clearly stated that all sailor senshi are female. Also, Tuxedo Kamen is not a sailor senshi but a guardian for Earth, which explains why he can be male.

The sailor starlights are female. They took male forms when they came to earth.
Even their princess was surprised when she saw that they had taken male forms.
At that point Seiya Kou said that "it is more appropriate for a man to be searching for a princess".

As far as I know, the starlights never became male in the manga, only in the anime, and Naoko Takeuchi was fairly dissapointed by the animators decision.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 02:47   Link #55
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Licensing issues

I heard that much of the trouble (or at least the early trouble) over the US-specific license had more to do with the estate of the late voice actress/singer who played Seiya. She passed away around the time the series was up for license, and as an import of the sub would use her songs, her estate wanted say in that (and probably a piece of the pie). Add this to the other licensing messes in the US with Sailor Moon (DIC, Pioneer, ADV) and such, and it's resulted in a real headache for making any progress on that. I suspect we'll see it released eventually, though. Too much money to be made to just let it slip...
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 00:19   Link #56
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
In case people hadn't notice, Live-eviL also throws their hat in to the ring for Sailor Stars. We released an OP sequence as a promo for those who want to see what we intend to do.

Sailor Stars is the first show where I've got my hands dirty with AFX :c

Also as an added bonus, there will be remastered soundtrack. I have the OST CD's which are audio genious has used to upgrade the monoaural music track to stereo O_O. It makes a difference I can tell you that now.

Look forward to ep 167 in the not too distant future.

-gumbaloom
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 00:24   Link #57
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

We don't list OPs on AnimeSuki, but you can download L-E's OP for Sailor Stars from L-E's torrent site or from this direct link.

gumbaloom put his heart into this OP, so it is really worth downloading to see.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 07:51   Link #58
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to YaoiBoy
Sailor Stars - SPECIAL EDTION!

Well folks... Announcement time.

Sailor Stars is coming!

BUT, we have something no one else can touch: MULTICHANNEL AUDIO! That's right. We are remasting the audio from the original soundtrack CDs. Sailor Stars was yet another show with stereo OST masters that got released in mono. Well, we are going to give this series the respect it deserves. Download the opening animation and hear the difference! (http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/)

I just finished the audio track for Ep 167... Those of you who have seen the Captain Harlock: Special Edition know what a major difference good audio can make. Now would be a good time to pick up that surround-sound speaker setup you have been looking at. ^_^

The file format will be MP4, containing h.264 video w/ 5.1 AC3 and mono MP3 audio - another first in the world of fansubbing. Go Live-eviL!

Last edited by YaoiBoy; 2006-04-13 at 18:34. Reason: Threads merged. Please don't create a new thread just to explain how your are fansubbing a show that already has its own thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YaoiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 12:21   Link #59
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to YaoiBoy
Oops...

Sorry about that... I'm still a bit green to the use of internet forums. I'll be more careful next time. ^^
YaoiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 18:14   Link #60
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
I first downloaded this part of the Sailor Moon saga and being the shojo booster that I am really liked it a lot-so much so that I found and purchased the hk version of it which is laser disc sourced and uses fansub scripts, it's about as close to an R1 release as we are ever gonna see.
zrdb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical girl, shojo