AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-24, 15:38   Link #721
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Wow. So either the latimes was hacked to display an article from the Onion or something, or he really said that. And if so, one must ask: is he really that ignorant, or is he trying to sweep the 47% video under the carpet with something even more outrageous, if somewhat less objectionable?
Old 2012-09-24, 15:39   Link #722
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Except that in this case, Israeli threat is a quite demonstrable fact.
As is the Iranian threat. There are power factions in both camps that would love to "carry holy fire onto the other side" or whatever flagwaving suits one. And most people on both sides should fear their own such monsters as much as the others.
Old 2012-09-24, 15:40   Link #723
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Romney must be this stupid. Read what he said here, and think about it:

Spoiler:

Where'd he go to school again? Harvard? Yale? Yeah, he totally made it through there because of money and status.
Old 2012-09-24, 15:44   Link #724
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Harvard.

I suppose a basic knowledge of physics isn't strictly necessary for a law or business degree, but you'd think that's the kind of knowledge anyone with average (or not too badly below average) would pick up.
Old 2012-09-24, 15:49   Link #725
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:

Spoiler:
Was that about the the plane where his wife was than had a fire aboard ?
That was the kind of question than a kid would ask, not someone than went to university or even someone than finished highschool.
Old 2012-09-24, 15:57   Link #726
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As is the Iranian threat. There are power factions in both camps that would love to "carry holy fire onto the other side" or whatever flagwaving suits one. And most people on both sides should fear their own such monsters as much as the others.
None the less, my point remains; that Iran isn't going to disintegrate from the strengthening of the Moderate factions.

The only way the moderates could gain power in Iran, is if the country enters a period of peace and prosperity. Israel isn't helping matters, demanding that Obama draw a red line for the invasion of Iran.
Old 2012-09-24, 16:05   Link #727
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Harvard.

I suppose a basic knowledge of physics isn't strictly necessary for a law or business degree, but you'd think that's the kind of knowledge anyone with average (or not too badly below average) would pick up.

He isn't as smart as he should be, being a guy that went through Harvard and is running for president of the United States of America. And he really doesn't know how to relate to most people. He pretty much can only really relate well to rich, white Christians. The guy is not a winner. Given his 47% remarks, he really doesn't want to be a president for all Americans. He just wants to be a president for the rich first, and all American Christians who vote republican second. A lot of GOP supporters don't like him, but wanna back him because they figure, hey, we gotta get the 'Marxist black man' outta the white house. In fact, for many of them, it is just simply reduced to 'we gotta get the black man outta office'. *sigh*
Old 2012-09-24, 16:14   Link #728
Sumeragi
Banned

Just to make things clear.....

1. Romney got his BA from Brigham Young University.
2. The Harvard J.D./M.B.A. isn't really connected to the status/money admissions related to Harvard proper or Harvard Business School.
Old 2012-09-24, 16:22   Link #729
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Just to make things clear.....

1. Romney got his BA from Brigham Young University.
2. The Harvard J.D./M.B.A. isn't really connected to the status/money admissions related to Harvard proper or Harvard Business School.
Ironically, that's actually a very confusing turn of phrase. Are you trying to say that there's no way he used money to get his Harvard diploma? Or that he used some kind of back entrance to put Harvard on his resume?
Old 2012-09-24, 16:38   Link #730
Sumeragi
Banned

Given that the Law School doesn't accept admissions based on donations, he wouldn't have gotten his J.D./M.B.A. unless he got admitted fair and square.
Old 2012-09-24, 16:43   Link #731
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:

Spoiler:
Very poorly phrased, but he's not incorrect. Aircraft cabins are kept pressurised, and in the case of a fire, it would be difficult for air to enter the cabin, so you could get people suffocating. Let's not forget that in terrestrial fires asphyxiation is a leading cause of death.

Furthermore, if anything was opened, you wouldn't get any influx of air, in fact the air would rush out. Airplane fires are very dangerous things.

Of course, that's why aircraft carry oxygen masks, which he might have forgotten about. Still, using those masks might not be possible in a fire situation.
Old 2012-09-24, 18:01   Link #732
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm starting to get feedback from quite a few conservative friends who have decided they are voting Libertarian this year in protest of the bottomless pond of aristocrat+crazies the GOP has turned into. Just my own little anecdotal body count.
Old 2012-09-24, 18:06   Link #733
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
He isn't as smart as he should be, being a guy that went through Harvard and is running for president of the United States of America. And he really doesn't know how to relate to most people. He pretty much can only really relate well to rich, white Christians. The guy is not a winner. Given his 47% remarks, he really doesn't want to be a president for all Americans. He just wants to be a president for the rich first, and all American Christians who vote republican second. A lot of GOP supporters don't like him, but wanna back him because they figure, hey, we gotta get the 'Marxist black man' outta the white house. In fact, for many of them, it is just simply reduced to 'we gotta get the black man outta office'. *sigh*
Hate to say it, as I am a teacher myself, but intelligence and knowledge are not exactly critical to make it through university (outside of research that is) or to succeed in business. Romney does posses some key attributes: hard working, assertive, decisive, ambitious, has networking skills and knows the right people.

Still means he can act like (or simply be) an uneducated buffoon, but in my experience that is not uncommon at senior management or government levels. Modern media coverage of elections requires visually attractive candidates above all else, so other stats are likely to be compromised.
Old 2012-09-24, 18:49   Link #734
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Very poorly phrased, but he's not incorrect. Aircraft cabins are kept pressurised, and in the case of a fire, it would be difficult for air to enter the cabin, so you could get people suffocating. Let's not forget that in terrestrial fires asphyxiation is a leading cause of death.

Furthermore, if anything was opened, you wouldn't get any influx of air, in fact the air would rush out. Airplane fires are very dangerous things.

Of course, that's why aircraft carry oxygen masks, which he might have forgotten about. Still, using those masks might not be possible in a fire situation.
The key is "I don't know why they don't do that." It's implying he doesn't know why you can't open the windows.
Old 2012-09-24, 18:49   Link #735
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Spoiler:
What is the context of this quote even supposed to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I think the only reason Romney is the nominee is that he's the closest thing the Republican party can find to a marketable candidate at least on the surface. He's non-threatening looking on the surface, doesn't immediately come across as an outright asshole like say Gingrich and Santorum who were apparently the best they could find to run against him on the ticket. Romney really is the best the Republican party could do I guess since after all we can't have people like Olympia Snowe or...well honestly she's about the only Republican I can think off of the top of my head that come across as a decent human being that actually gives a shit about her job.

Romney is basically the generic candidate they've been running since Regan. Talks big, looks non-threatening, comes across like that well-meaning if slightly dim-witted distant relative you only see once or twice at a part every year (we all know the one) and most importantly is predictable and easy for the party and it's base to control due to be too uninformed of the issues to have an independent thought that might set him at odds with their agenda. What's different here though is that the mask fell off really early into his campaign and he's pretty much been scrambling the last couple of weeks to merely try to hold on to the percentage he had. I still wouldn't count him out just yet cause I still think the majority of American voters are bloody damn well too stupid to realize how bad he'd be for the country, but it does look like Obama has opened up a lead on him for the first time in a while and appears to be leading most polls outside the margin of error.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-09-24 at 19:05.
Old 2012-09-24, 18:56   Link #736
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
It doesn't. It only sees itself as the lonely regional power around, one literally without friends on every border until the dramatic rapprochement with Egypt. Why else would Israel consider US-Israeli relations to be so paramount? Some of them are close to castrating their dear Prime Minister over the dangerous game he's trying to play with the US.

Israel has no aspirations towards a dominant position in the Middle East, it's far too hated by everybody else for that; what it wants is that no other regional power could become dominant enough to threaten its very existence, either by nuclear threat or by rallying the other nations in the Middle East the way Nasser's Egypt did. If anything, Iran is the power that is trying to (re-)assert its historic role as one of the centers of Middle Eastern power politics over the oil-soaked Gulf states/Saudi Arabia. It's also almost as isolated as Israel compared to the Arab mainstream, being Shiite and Iranian, hence the jealous and, IMO counterproductive support of its few allies like Hezbollah, Assad, and (not quite as counterproductive) the Shiites of Iraq.

To blame Iran's geopolitical ambitions on Israeli "ambition" is wrong. To argue that it was motivated partly by fear of Israel's military might, and greatly aided in this aspiration by assuming the mantle of anti-Israel hatred, would be more correct.
This is pretty much what I mean. Never said they're striving for a co-prosperity sphere nor a network of economic clients (that would be Turkey), which requires stability to maintain. On the contrary, they are against a stable, formidable middle east which they can't keeping down. It's this constant paranoia that has been the main poison in the region, but it is to be expected from a country which came to existence by simply being dumped on everyone who was already there.

And by saying Iran was capable to expand due to Israel's persistent, well that's basically it. Surely they had been aspiring for that since before 2nd Iraq War, but it was only after the fall of Saddam that really enabled them to interfere there in Iraq and beyond. Yes, by saying this I'm saying that the role of Israeli lobby in US was crucial in pushing for invasion of Iraq. Some would say that the Israeli lobby single-handedly caused the Iraq War, or at least the trigger puller.

Last edited by Ridwan; 2012-09-24 at 21:36.
Old 2012-09-24, 19:21   Link #737
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It would certainly solve the economic crisis...
Reminds me of that "Alien Invasion" joke proposal Paul Krugman had.

Still unless there's some dramatic boom or bubble to soak up the slack in production, I really don't foresee how we'll get out of this slump in the near term. Plus throw in the Eurozone debt bruhaha, BRIC slowdown and Middle East saber rattling...not good for a few years.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-09-24, 19:42   Link #738
Alchemist007
*Author

Saw the Clinton interview on Daily show from a couple days ago, the guy is a practical genius.
Old 2012-09-24, 21:13   Link #739
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And another round is fired over the presidential bow:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49153974...science-space/

Romney pledges to keep US the leader in space exploration
He and Ryan reveal few details in plans for NASA, unleash blistering attack on Obama

Quote:
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney has unveiled his plans for the future of NASA and American space exploration, unleashing a blistering attack on President Barack Obama in the process.

In a policy paper released Saturday, Romney and running mate Paul Ryan pledge to secure the nation's global leadership position in space, which, they say, has eroded significantly during the president's first term.

"Over the past four years, the Obama Administration, through poor policy and outright negligence, has badly weakened one of the hallmarks of American leaders hip and ingenuity — our nation’s space program," the paper reads.

"Rebuilding NASA, restoring U.S. leadership, and creating new opportunities for space commerce will be hard work, but Mitt Romney will strive to rebuild an institution worthy of our aspirations and capable once again of leading the world toward new frontiers," the authors add....

....No further details about these prospective science and exploration missions are provided. Indeed, the eight-page document is sparing with details throughout, saying that specifics will be drawn up later, after consultation with representatives from NASA, the Air Force, academia and thebusiness community....
Old 2012-09-24, 21:18   Link #740
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
And another round is fired over the presidential bow:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49153974...science-space/

Romney pledges to keep US the leader in space exploration
He and Ryan reveal few details in plans for NASA, unleash blistering attack on Obama
I am wrong or they are attacking Obama over his space policy, while saying, without giving any number of course, than they will basicaly do the same as he did ?