AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-09-04, 00:56   Link #841
Solecs

Ugh, I can't decide if this game is worth buying a PSP for. Not to mention I've got a pretty lengthy backlog of games to start/finish. What am I looking at here, like $200 for the psp+game? Anybody seen a good deal on a PSP?
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 01:49   Link #842
Westlo
Lets be reality

Put two hours into this today, really liking it so far.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 05:31   Link #843
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Have you even played it? Doesn't sound like it. While some tired tropes of school life are brought out, the school is treated more like, you know, a Military Academy than a high school. And since the school is expected to be on active duty due to the main army going all explode-y two years ago...

Then there's the gameplay improvements, though some changes are debatable, I like the changes; made it more about tactics instead of a perfect shot when going for good rankings. And I'm mostly into this series because the gameplay is so addictive.

So yeah; I'm thinking you haven't actually played it. Even if you have, you are ignoring the main reason I wanted to play it, and have been doing little else this week.
Yup played it half a year ago, so yeah compared to the first one, this sequel felt force up on. Yes you got the all the customisations, but it feels just dull. Maybe it is just not as exciting to me, because it is just a sequel.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 05:36   Link #844
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Put two hours into this today, really liking it so far.
Care to explain a little bit more on what you like about it Westlo? I was going to wait a few weeks to get this game because i'm playing quite a lot at the moment, though i'm very tempted to go buy a copy this week.
Old 2010-09-04, 07:08   Link #845
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Care to explain a little bit more on what you like about it Westlo? I was going to wait a few weeks to get this game because i'm playing quite a lot at the moment, though i'm very tempted to go buy a copy this week.
Well it's more Valkyria Chronicles goodness which is the main reason I'm liking it of course! I've enjoyed the new cast so far as well and I like how it seems it will take a more bonding approach to your teammates. The combat has transitioned quite well imo and the music is still great of course, as expected of Sakimoto. Loving the Winter in Lanseal track.. a lot.
Old 2010-09-04, 07:17   Link #846
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Well it's more Valkyria Chronicles goodness which is the main reason I'm liking it of course! I've enjoyed the new cast so far as well and I like how it seems it will take a more bonding approach to your teammates. The combat has transitioned quite well imo and the music is still great of course, as expected of Sakimoto. Loving the Winter in Lanseal track.. a lot.
Yeah the main reason why i want to play this game is because i want more Valkyria Chronicles goodness. I've just heard a few mixed opinions in the game, and just wanted to kinda balance that out by hearing from people that i can trust. Looks like i'll be picking up a copy this week.

Thanks a lot Westlo.
Old 2010-09-04, 12:29   Link #847
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Despite not being able to speak or read Japanese (but with some very limited comprehension regards soldier talk), I played this game and managed to figure out how to go about the business of defending your school earlier this year.

That's how good this game is.

The only other games that I've played despite being in Japanese have been Macross Ace Frontier, Macross Ultimate Frontier, and the Gundam Battle/Gundam Assault games, which are very much light on text and have a lot of details in english - in those action games everything important is in english text and there's no story and nothing fancy, so you can get by. (Well, there's also Warship Gunner 2 Portable, but that one hardly counts since the layout is identical to the PS2 version, which I can see in my sleep.) In VC2 you have to figure out what's going on and what do all the commands and such mean... it's more challenging compared to a normal action game.

So I will be getting it next week - and surprisingly enough for being Malaysian, I'm actually buying the UMD. Buying the UMD in the piracy capital of Southeast Asia. Where software piracy is a way of life.

...I'd almost get a new PSP just for this game.

Frankly though, if at this point you don't have a PSP, this game isn't the killer app to get a PSP for*; SEGA's plan with VC2 is to attempt to recoup some of the losses on VC1 by using a cheaper platform with lower costs and a higher userbase to try and sell to a wider audience and bring in more volume. Since I work in sales I can understand their POV and where they're going - there are more PSPs out in the wild than PS3s.

Having said that, while it was fun enough in Japanese, I'm quite looking forward to seeing things in English and to be able to read and analyse this world - a lot of the fun of games for me is the worldbuilding, which is why I've quite liked Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Ace Combat, Nanoha...

*Discussions of a PSP killer app lead to the Tvtropes page "Your Mileage May Vary." Suffice to say that unlike the PS2/MGS2, the Xbox/Halo, or 360/Halo 3, there has been no unanimous killer app for the PSP.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 16:36   Link #848
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
*Discussions of a PSP killer app lead to the Tvtropes page "Your Mileage May Vary." Suffice to say that unlike the PS2/MGS2, the Xbox/Halo, or 360/Halo 3, there has been no unanimous killer app for the PSP.
As far as Japan is concerned Monster Hunter says hi, last one on PSP sold over 4 million in Japan and Capcom are expecting 5 million for the next one due out dec/jan.
Old 2010-09-05, 10:35   Link #849
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I've found that Japan has managed to remain remarkably insular in this Transnational Progressive Age of Globalisation. Odd place, that.

Having played the MH games... I guess I can understand the appeal, but IMO it's a bit too much work and I could never quite get the hang of the games.

Hmm. Still, that's quite a respectable sales number.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2010-09-06, 04:49   Link #850
Sides

Quote:
I've found that Japan has managed to remain remarkably insular in this Transnational Progressive Age of Globalisation. Odd place, that.

Having played the MH games... I guess I can understand the appeal, but IMO it's a bit too much work and I could never quite get the hang of the games.

Hmm. Still, that's quite a respectable sales number.
Respect to capcom doing the thing what sega didn't managed to do with PSO, but the PSP1/2 games on the PSP didn't do too bad IRC and with PSP2:Infinity coming soon, i recon sega made big profit with it. BTW you can apparently unlock Emilia, in VC2, even with a jp version of PSP2.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 10:10   Link #851
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
I've been reading up on the game, and looking at all the story, the plot, the characters, the gameplay mechanics... pretty much everything as far as I can go without actually playing the game. And I've noticed quite a bit of archetypes among people. Though I feel I have to ask...

From a Bleach standpoint, is it perfectly plausible to replace Avan with Ichigo, Zeri with Uruyu, and Cosette with Orihime, and not have the story change much? I just look at them, and imagine those same chracters. I dunno, I think VC2's cast of characters is falling into more of the stereotypes of shonen anime, though I think it's expected since this is more directed towards the Japanese audience. Damn, I hope if VC2 comes out for the PS3, they give the character designs much more effort.
Old 2010-09-06, 10:57   Link #852
KariOhki

Now that you point that out, you probably could, though Avan is more of an idiot than Ichigo is (sleeps in class, failing grades, doesn't pay attention). Most comparisons put them against the three main people from Naruto.

Ignoring derpy Avan and Cosette, I've found a lot of side characters that I really like. Taking out permadeath really helped.

However, I don't like how certificates and credits are seemingly randomly handed out. Rene blew up one tank and retreated right away and got two certs, while whoever my MVP was for that map just got a few credits.
Meidoshow: Maidklutz, Meirdio, Morooka, Seiba, Glassesmeido
KariOhki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 13:34   Link #853
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
GODDAMMIT MOTHERFUCKING SONOFABIIIIIITCH

FUCK YOU DIRK
Spoiler for OMGSPOILERS:

HAAAAAAAAAX!

Really, I've never had a game make me wish a Youtube Meme was in it. I WANT TO SMASH DIRK WITH A MONITOR SOOOO BAAAAAD
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 12:33   Link #854
Snowman24

Question: ..... How did they do with the Valkyrian girls English voice?? Was it as frighteningly sadistic as the Japanese one... or very so less so... almost afraid to hear it..
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 12:40   Link #855
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman24 View Post
Question: ..... How did they do with the Valkyrian girls English voice?? Was it as frighteningly sadistic as the Japanese one... or very so less so... almost afraid to hear it..
It depends on how far in the story you are. Earlier on, Aliasse sounds just plain psycho. Later (after, say, September)...

Spoiler for PLOT SPOILERS. AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT.:

So, early on = PSYCHO. Later on = Normal, if a bit energetic.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 22:40   Link #856
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

General impressions of the story:

Avan is a cleaner, better-looking version of Jurgen from the Ciaphas Cain - HERO OF THE IMPERIUM! - books, being rather book dumb and oblivious but a very good man to have in the field...actually, one might argue a case for him being Jurgen's ancestor, seperated by over 40 millenia...

Zeri has a chip on his shoulder, which is understandable.

Collette: No comment. The girl in the Two Guys and a Girl.

Helmut's voice sounds maddeningly familliar; I've heard it before, but can't remember if it was an anime or a game somewhere. He sounds rather FPS-y.

Having never played VC1, I'm of the opinion that for the PSP, this is a good game and worth the money. It's not the killer app that makes you get a PSP, but it's a good game and worthy buying if you already have a PSP.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2010-09-08, 02:35   Link #857
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Helmut's voice sounds maddeningly familliar; I've heard it before, but can't remember if it was an anime or a game somewhere. He sounds rather FPS-y.
That's Steven Blum, aka Orochimaru, aka Todoh, aka Oghren, aka Grunt aka.... cool man who does cool characters.
Old 2010-09-08, 06:24   Link #858
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Aka Spike Speigel...

No wonder I had that FPS vibe - he voiced Captain Foley in Call of Duty, which was my first exposure to him.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2010-09-08, 07:46   Link #859
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

My "Hey, it's that voice" moment was recognizing Aigis's presence (Persona 3). And Akihiko too.
Old 2010-09-09, 07:05   Link #860
Westlo
Lets be reality

If they combine the best parts of VC 1 (which includes HD PS3!) with VC 2 than VC 3 should be a cracking game.

I kinda like the idea of upgrading individual units in the game but the certificate system is kinda broken....