AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-28, 16:06   Link #1841
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Have you tried Dutch? According to TVTropes, Dutch is also used when it comes to Belkan-type devices, such as the Wolkenritter Devices.
soo.... dutch sounds like german? Cuz I clearly hears german
Old 2009-05-28, 16:11   Link #1842
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Listen to Keroko.

If the Dutch-jin says there is no Dutch in Nanoha I'm sure we can belive him.
Old 2009-05-28, 16:18   Link #1843
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, the only language I speak is English, so I have no viable way of discerning German and Dutch. I merely made a suggestion based on something said on TVTropes, that's all.
Old 2009-05-28, 16:21   Link #1844
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Listen to Keroko.

If the Dutch-jin says there is no Dutch in Nanoha I'm sure we can belive him.
Unless I missed some attacks that were never mentioned in the show. Fixed the trope page and left a note, I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong here.

I'm not touching the latest addition to the ship-to-ship part though.
Old 2009-05-28, 16:21   Link #1845
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Sounds like tropes needs a punt. It does fail like wikipedia sometimes.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2009-05-28, 16:38   Link #1846
prescience
Friendly Satanist

I wonder if, for Schach's device, they just made up something that sounded vaguely German-ish. Unlikely if other names (like Carim's ability) are actual proper German, but still...

And that ship-to-ship edit on tropes does need to die. I'm all for NanoFate, but that's just blatant flamebait... :/
Old 2009-05-28, 16:55   Link #1847
Dri

Send a message via AIM to Dri
Well, speaking of Devices. I assume Erio's is Belkan as well, so what does Strada stand for in German?

And Dutch and German are often mistaken for one another by those who don't know better, so that might be the source of that mistake right there.

Now, her Device... I really don't know. Maybe it's not supposed to be in German, but in English. In which case her 'Windelshaft' could be translated to 'Wind Shaft'. Which, well. Kinda fits the Device.
Old 2009-05-28, 17:04   Link #1848
prescience
Friendly Satanist

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - pseudo-German sounding English. If the writer were English-first-language, that would be the most obvious conclusion. But having proper German elsewhere muddies the waters somewhat. Then again, the English is quite variable in quality as well - just look at Raising Heart...

Edit: About that spambot/troll that just got banned, I was reading its profile page, and saw a link reading "Befriend facefreebook.com". It seemed quite apposite

Last edited by prescience; 2009-05-28 at 17:49.
Old 2009-05-28, 17:15   Link #1849
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dri View Post
Well, speaking of Devices. I assume Erio's is Belkan as well, so what does Strada stand for in German?
I believe that is from the fiat strada car, but i may be mistaken.
Old 2009-05-28, 18:01   Link #1850
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

What edit are you guys talking about? The only part I'm noticing is about the flamewars, and even then that's been there for a long while, now.
Old 2009-05-28, 18:16   Link #1851
Dri

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescience View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking - pseudo-German sounding English. If the writer were English-first-language, that would be the most obvious conclusion. But having proper German elsewhere muddies the waters somewhat. Then again, the English is quite variable in quality as well - just look at Raising Heart...

Edit: About that spambot/troll that just got banned, I was reading its profile page, and saw a link reading "Befriend facefreebook.com". It seemed quite apposite
Hey, hey, HEY. Don't diss the Devices' Engrish. I LOVE that. It's one of their quirks I never fail to immitate when I RP.

It gives them some personality and all that, you know? Plus it's always good for a lulz or two.
Old 2009-05-28, 18:24   Link #1852
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
The word Strada does not exist in German, it's pretty much the Spain word for "Street".

Well it shows that not all Armed Devices have german names.
Laevantin is another case, as the name comes from a sword from norse mythology.

Quote:
In which case her 'Windelshaft' could be translated to 'Wind Shaft'. Which, well. Kinda fits the Device.
True. I still hate the "Windel" though... I can't take a Device serious that is named "diaper shaft" in my language.
Let's change it alt least to "Vindel/r"or "Bindel/r"
Old 2009-05-28, 18:34   Link #1853
Dri

I always pronounced it Vindelshaft myself from the way she says it, so yeah.

And hm, pity. I thought Strada might mean something. And yeah, good point on Siggy's sword.
Old 2009-05-28, 19:47   Link #1854
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I'm not touching the latest addition to the ship-to-ship part though.
Are you talking about the March edit to the Ship-to-Ship Combat page? Or the April edit to the Nanoha page?
Old 2009-05-28, 20:42   Link #1855
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I just read up on that Ship-to-Ship Combat edit... I lol at the name of the "incident". Really clever.
Old 2009-05-28, 21:07   Link #1856
arkxkra
全力全開

just finish chapter 1 of Vivid, not back, for starting it is done a good job. The Takamachi family is so lovely, so Nanoha and Fate is together (too bad is sometime). Vivio got a lot of big position people behind >.<".

Vivio transformation is awesome, lol at Fate reaction. Well, enemy appear, and I wonder Vivio has learn something from Nanoha, for example, become friend <<.
Old 2009-05-28, 21:31   Link #1857
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Did anybody else squee at Nanoha's reaction to what Vivio was going to name her device?
Old 2009-05-28, 22:00   Link #1858
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Did anybody else squee at Nanoha's reaction to what Vivio was going to name her device?
Yes, she was all blushy :3

But the icing on the cake was Fate getting weak in the knees and splaffing down with tears in her eyes.

edit:

Anyone notice on page 14 that Vivio's clock on the wall is a bunny clock?

Also, Nanoha's house... Just how much money does she have? If she was "resting her wings" and all, how can she afford/ why would she want a two story house? I dunno how land value is there but I'm thinking that the military pamper's it's ace's to make them want to stay with them.

Another thing is, speculation here, that just like the StikerS bed, it's big for a reason. I'm thinking it's a gathering spot for everyone :3

edit edit:
Ah, I just noticed in the panel where Nanoha blushes at the name Sacred Heart, Nanoha goes "Ara..." and Fate goes "Kusu" which is the cute girlish giggle.
Old 2009-05-28, 22:16   Link #1859
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Aw, now I need to reread it again :P

So cute, I'll still need to call her device falling soul in my epic fic, tho. It fits in the plot very well with that name.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2009-05-28, 22:41   Link #1860
Dri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Yes, she was all blushy :3

But the icing on the cake was Fate getting weak in the knees and splaffing down with tears in her eyes.

edit:

Anyone notice on page 14 that Vivio's clock on the wall is a bunny clock?

Also, Nanoha's house... Just how much money does she have? If she was "resting her wings" and all, how can she afford/ why would she want a two story house? I dunno how land value is there but I'm thinking that the military pamper's it's ace's to make them want to stay with them.

Another thing is, speculation here, that just like the StikerS bed, it's big for a reason. I'm thinking it's a gathering spot for everyone :3

edit edit:
Ah, I just noticed in the panel where Nanoha blushes at the name Sacred Heart, Nanoha goes "Ara..." and Fate goes "Kusu" which is the cute girlish giggle.
Have you ever heard of compensations, promotions and bonuses?

Let's face it, MS6/RF6 single-handely saved all of Mid-Childa, possibly the entire universe (multiverse?). Not only would they get a hefty bonus and a handful of promotions from this, which leads to better salaries, but they're going to get bonuses for damage sustained, psychological trauma inflicted to some of them... and Nanoha is probably outright getting a disability bonus because that's /twice/ that she pushes her body to the brink of death like that.

Money is probably not an issue for any of them.
Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen