AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2011-10-16, 15:38   Link #81
Undertaker

Hem, I still think compare to real mecha anime, IS is very light as far as action goes, but I can see were you come from and I guess you have low tolerant of Sci-Fi with machines even if it's not mechas/robots.

I am a bit surprised you watch Dog Day first though, I thought you would start with Asobi no Ikuyo which had much better chance, IMO, than Dog Day and is a better series from harem perspective.

IMO, if you like AnI, you can then try Dog Day to test your limit but if you don't like Dog Day, there is still chance for you to accept AnI. I still say give Asobi no Ikuyo a chance with 1 or 2 episodes.

As for the ones in your list, I have a different take as Obelisk:

While the two series do feature normal girls in normal setting, the story feel is fairly tame, with little comedy, and service scene isn't that great, IMO. And you might be disappointed in the endings.

Yosuga no Sora might not be your thing. The story structure is kind like Amaigami where there are multiple story/ending, except instead of reset the story to the beginning, YnS reset to the last branching point of the story that state true to eroge and visual novel games. It's an interesting take, but the story might be too dry for you. Think of School Days without psycho characters and that's pretty much the feel of story pace. (which is similar to most Eroge adaptions) BTW, most of the endings aren't too pleasant in this series as well, not that they are f@cked up, but they leave a little sadness in your mouth. Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka is similar in this regard, though if you like one, you should like the other.

Everything else got ok endings, thought with KissXSis you have every girl throw themselves
as the main character, so you might want to check it out with caution.

I would say, To Love Ru, Sekirei, Ichiban, and Asobe no Ikuyo fits your mode the best, but ToAru series and Baka Test are both far superior as the series and both potentially could open up new interests for you but contain slight less of things you are looking for at this time. ToAru is similar to Shakugan no Shana in this regard (but with a guy as main point of view), while Baka Test is similar to The World only God Knows.
Old 2011-10-16, 15:40   Link #82
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Watched the first 2 episodes of Yosuga no Sora, and i discovered i don't like gray hairs; they just give the characters an elderly air, i don't like it. I began hating my tastes, really. Even according to me, i'm being too much difficult, holy shit.

Anyways, even if the animes do not have a definitive end, i would be pleased if they left some clear hints about how the anime would continue; as i stated before, a good example is Zero no Tsukaima: the series itself isn't ended yet, but we have had many chances to deduce that Saito loves Luise and vice versa, so even if it isn't ended yet, i'm happy with it, because it's like i got to a safe spot, a checkpoint, knowing they will 99% end up together in the end. Even in Mayo Chiki, it didn't really have a clear end, but i was happy with it anyway, because it was sealed with a kiss. Toradora, as you all said, was a rare example of good and definitive ending, and i really appreciated it, same goes for amagami SS. Haruhi series also gave some hints(if you read up the last novel), and even if Infinite Stratos couldn't be sealed with a kiss(they were so near, other girls got mad tho), it's clear that a new couple was formed in the end, and i was happy with it.

If those other titles contain something like that, i'm okay with it. Also, by normal girl i do not mean normal-in-all-the-ways; it's okay if she's some eccentric tsundere or anything; she just has to have a normal look (pink hairs are okay; i like the most when they got black or pink hairs, blonde way less tho) and has to be hot (even if no huge breasts, at least cute). No gray hairs, especially from the protagonist, and as stated before, no catlike characteristics.

Hope this cleared something up. I'll now randomly pick one of those titles for the moment, or prolly switch again to TWGOK because i found it very funny last time, and gave me some good laughs.

EDIT
I took too much time to write this probably, so i couldn't check your post first. Anyways ye, atm i think i'll watch something like TWGOK, because i need some funny shit.

EDIT
JK started watching To love ru, lol.
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 15:49   Link #83
Undertaker

In that case that leaves To Love Ru, Sekirei, Ichiban, KissxSis, and the two heavyweights in ToAru series and Baka Test.

You would probably enjoy Sekirei the most out of bunch, approach other with hit/miss mentality, and definitely watch ToAru and Baka Test when you get a chance. BTW, as ending goes, both To Aru and Baka Test have status quo ending that ends with you know that the main character is struggle between 2 main herorines (despite other who might have interest) but both series are immensely popular that you can bet the true ending will arrive when the original novel series ends (aka Zero no Tsukaima). Oh and To Love Ru and that type of ending as will, a definitive threesome end.

I still think you should give Asobe no Ikuyo a try, I know I'm persistent, but it was an enjoyable series for me.

Edit: for pure comedy from the bunch, To Love Ru, KissxSis and Baka Test, Asobe no Ikuyo are the ones to watch, follows by ToAru (especially Railgun series) and Ichiban. Sekirei's comedy is a bit dry and you are more in it to see the hot girls and service scenes.
Old 2011-10-16, 17:00   Link #84
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Currently watching To love Ru, and it's providing me good laughs, beside hot stuff. Enjoying it. I won't be able to finish it this night, so second round will come next friday. Anyways, thanks for suggesting me endlessly with loads of titles, i appreciate it. I also want to trust you and try out Baka Test and ToAru.

As always, time is an issue. Summer just ended and i'm already waiting for Xmas, lol. Thanks again.

See you next week then, i'll watch some other episode, and then rest. Tomorrow uni starts again.
Old 2011-10-16, 18:36   Link #85
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Ranma 1/2 would be my main recommendation. Many people commented on The Familiar of Zero having a similar romantic dynamic. Maybe knowing that it's the original source for the Baka song will help convince you.

Akane Tendo is one of the classic Tsundere standard bearers, and Ranma 1/2 is one of the earliest Harems. Actually Those Darn Aliens is the first in this category if I remember right.

You should also probably check out:

Full Metal Panic

Chrome Shelled Regios

Hayate the Combat Butler

A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun

Baka to Test

Girls Bravo

Love Hina

Inuyasha

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Kannagi

Katanagatari

Cross Game

The World God Only Knows

Tenchi Muyo

School Rumble

Hope that helps

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 18:48   Link #86
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

From your answer i deduce you didn't read the previous pages:

I know ranma 1/2 since looooooong, and i got tired of it.

I don't like mecha animes, so FMP and evangelion are discarded.

Baka to Test: already suggested, and already on the list

Girls Bravo: already watched and dropped: didn't like it

Love Hina: found out it's not what i was looking for

Inuyasha: like ranma, i know this endless anime since long, and it's too much in the combat thingie, so no.

The World God Only Knows: already watched some episode, found it funny in some way, but isn't exactly what i was looking for.

I didn't see any opinion about the other titles, so i might check them out aswell, when i got time.

Anyways, off to bed; i'll gain access to internet next friday (I could actually login from some friend's pc, but would be pointless), so see you next week.
Old 2011-10-16, 19:03   Link #87
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well, yeah... reading through 80+ posts seemed a little long.

If you don't like mecha then check out Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, virtually all the mecha elements are dropped and you don't really need to watch the first season to follow along. Although you will be missing out on some funny moments.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 08:06   Link #88
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Ok, just got back from uni:

I reread again my previous posts, but i don't think the message arrived quite well: I'll give you the reason why i'm looking for this kind of anime:

I miss school days. Yes, i just miss them, i miss the fucking around with my buddies, i miss my first love, i miss school trips, i miss school summers at the beach. I miss all this, and university is getting depressing, since in my course the girls all look like fucking orcs. Ok so, here we go:

One random day, during this summer, it was morning, outside raining, and i hadn't a fuck to do; turned on the TV and i happened to watch a movie called "The girl who leapt thro time". At the beginning i was watching it for no apparent reason, and thought i was just some random episode of a random anime, but then i noticed it was a movie and i enjoyed it a lot. This was even the first time an anime caught my eyes wet. Neither the most dramatic movies managed to take out of my eyes a little tear, but this one had this effect, for some reason.

The following days, in TV, there were other jap anime movies, like Evangelion, summer wars, and another one i don't remember, about clones doing war to entertain the population. I started enjoying that kind of animation, but it stopped after 5 movies. The next week Haruhi suzumiya no Yutsu started, and i felt like watching it. Did it and really enjoyed it. Couldn't wait for the other episodes, and looked for them. Watched all the 28 episodes (Jk i skipped 3 endless eight) and even the movie, and i really enjoyed it, because it just reminded me of old school days, and its good/bad times.

I later started searching for similar animes, and happened to watch toradora, another anime i really enjoyed for the reasons mentioned in my other posts. Later i came to discover this forum, and now here i am, looking for other animes that can give me those feelings.

Oh, i happened to watch Zero no Tsukaima during those days, and even tho at the beginning i wasn't liking it, because it was too much oriented towards fantasy, i later noticed the developing love relation between saito and luise, and ended up watching the 3 seasons.

Ok, after this you might better comprehend why i was looking for the animes some of you suggested, and why i enjoyed the ones with the school background and a love story as main theme.

I'm looking for something around those lines but, since i want to impersonate myself in the male character, because it gives me the feeling like i was going back to school, i want him to be like me, meaning rational, calm and cynical, good natured and a bit pervert(who doesn't fucking like tits/ass, holy shit, that's not being pervert bah). Kyon kinda reflected all this. Other characters that had similar personality were okay, but most of them were BLIND. Yes, totally BLIND: girls everywhere loving him, and him not noticing anything. At least Kyon was yes confused, and sometimes not sincere with his feelings, but he often expressed his appreciation for Mikuru, and in the movie even realized he felt something for Haruhi when she disappeared. Same goes for Ryuji who later on discovers his real feelings, and same goes for Taiga.

Now, after this explanation, you can understand why i don't like shy kid-looking male characters: i just cannot impersonate myself in them. Also, this is the reason why i do not want the girl point of view.

I hope now the whole matter is clearer. If you come up with something else, i'm still here, lurking more titles. At the moment watching "To love Ru", and kinda enjoying it. Will continue/finish withing today, probably.
Old 2011-10-21, 09:34   Link #89
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
I miss all this, and university is getting depressing, since in my course the girls all look like fucking orcs. Ok so, here we go:
Wow, I’m so sorry for you. Btw, what kinda course you’re in? Can’t be literature, coz there’s a lot of pretty girls in it (my own experience) .
Ok, back to topic. To be save, you may want to watch To Aru Majutsu no Index after you finish that To Love Ru. Here’s a little description of it (again).

Main guy POV check
Kick-ass main guy check
Cute girls check
Good plot check
School life check (still, this is an action fantasy anime, so don’t expect that all events happen in school ground)
Romantic development between main-guy and the girls check
Good action check

Considering that this anime is basically in action-fantasy genre, there's still a slight chance that this may not be your cup-of-tea. In short, there's no guarantee that you'll love it. Watch it yourself and decide.

If you want a more light-hearted title, I suggest you watch KissxSis. Its main-guy is decent and the plot is kinda interesting. Cute girls and School life, absolutely. Something that I can guarantee from these two titles is no definitive ending (yet).

Note:
if you watch Index first season, there’s a slight change of focus/main-guy in the middle of the episodes from Touma to Accelerator before goin’ back to Touma again for the rest of the episodes. Still, when Accelerator becomes the focus, he also has some developing relationship with a certain cute loli ^_^.

Optional Tips: Considering that you want to impersonate yourself in a character that surrounded by women, you may want to play some Visual Novels or Dating Sims or Eroge games.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2011-10-21 at 09:46.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 11:09   Link #90
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I'm currently studying industrial chemistry, and it's all sausage fest here; the only girls, there, are horrid and don't leave anything to imagination. They are fucking sick, consumed by the dark side or smth. At literature, languages, economy and biology/medicine is full of vaginas. I chose fucking shit course (I like chemistry :/ at what price tho :/ ).

Anyways, once again Toaru no index seems to fulfill my requirements, therefore i will definitely give it a go.

I will also check those games, since they might be more interactive. When i got time tho. Today i hope to finish To love Ru, then switch to Toaru no index.
Old 2011-10-21, 11:40   Link #91
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
the only girls, there, are horrid and don't leave anything to imagination. They are fucking sick, consumed by the dark side or smth.
OMG, your description of them sounds really scary . Even the machinery/engineering in my Uni still has cute girls .

Ok, here's an OP of Index season two if you want to take a glimpse first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFR77...eature=related
Old 2011-10-21, 19:36   Link #92
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Yes, those "Things" scare me everyday, and make me even more depressed. Sometimes tho some cute girl coming from pharmacy passes by and brings some light, but hoping in this kind of event is even more depressing, really.

Anyways

Finished watching "To love Ru", and really enjoyed it. Tomorrow i'll watch the ova episodes, and then try out the so called "Motto to love ru trouble". The first series didn't end in a bad way, and as undertaker said in some previous post, threesome for the win haha. Actually, that would have been the best end anyway.

Next to watch will be toaru no index. Anyways, i had a question about a title that came up: Ikkitousen. From some pics it could fit some requirements, tho i don't know. If you already watched it, do you know if the main char is retarded/blind/gay, and if the story isn't shit and actually ends? (tbh, i do not want to know if the story ends, neither if it ends well. Just do not suggest it if it got some awful ending, or none at all.)

Oh, just as a little update, my current to-watch-list is the following (in order):

To love Ru Ova + trouble (If it turns out to be bullshit, i'll drop it)
To Aru Majutsu no Index (after so much suggesting behind it, i can't do anything but watch it)
Sekirei (Will most probably be a win, according to what has been stated before)
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou (I put some hope in this aswell)
baka to test to shokanju (being it similar TWGOK, i'll keep this title in mind, but at the moment it got low prio)
Kiss x Sis (It contains incest, and even tho i might get over this thing as far as the story goes, i still prefer the idea of guy+girl, like any other normal love story, so this gets the least priority)
Asobi no Ikuyo (will be the last i'll give a chance to tho, due to me hating cat girls, but i wanted to put it in the list anyway )

Anyways, i won't watch that link you gave me: i do not want to spoil myself anything. You suggested it much enough to convince me to watch it, regardless of any video/trailer you might give me, so don't worry: it's the next on my list.

Thanks again for replying.
Old 2011-10-21, 19:59   Link #93
Undertaker

Motto To Love Ru is the name of second season and it's the continuation to first season and OVA. So you should be save here. The title is a Japanese play on Englisg title of To-Love-Ru. Mottoe is Japanese pronunciation of "more" while To Love Ru has similar pronounciation in Japanese as "Trouble" (To-rabu-ru) it'ss also a cleaver pun that the series is about the main character's love trouble.

Technically speaking KissXSis is not incest as it is stated clearly in the beginning that the twin is not blood related to the main character, although it is a series about girls throwing themselves towards the main character and a guy's slow spiral down toward sensual hell.

Just make sure that you stay with Index for 4-5 episodes at least because episode 2-4 is a bit on the heavy action side, but is important on setting the premises of the series. And keep in mind that any question you might have on the background setting are mostly answered in the Railgun series.
Old 2011-10-21, 19:59   Link #94
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Yes, those "Things" scare me everyday, and make me even more depressed. Sometimes tho some cute girl coming from pharmacy passes by and brings some light, but hoping in this kind of event is even more depressing, really.
LOL.

Quote:
Finished watching "To love Ru", and really enjoyed it.
If you like something like R+V, it's normal that you enjoy To Love Ru and all the sequels/OVAs.

Quote:
Next to watch will be toaru no index. Anyways, i had a question about a title that came up: Ikkitousen.
Something that you should know about Ikkitousen is that it's mainly about girls fighting other girls. When they fight, they tend to rip each other's clothes till they got (almost) nude which is THE main focus of this show. I personally call this genre fanservice-fighting with no real plot and pointless nudity everywhere just like other anime called Queen's Blade. Once again, this anime is about girls fighting - ripped clothes (repeat the cycle). I don't know if you'll like it or not though.

Quote:
Anyways, i won't watch that link you gave me: i do not want to spoil myself anything. You suggested it much enough to convince me to watch it, regardless of any video/trailer you might give me, so don't worry: it's the next on my list.
Ha..ha.. It's cool. I'm not trying to convert you into Index fan or anything . The Opening song video won't spoil you much. I just include it so that you can understand the 'big picture' of this series by taking a little peek.
Old 2011-10-21, 20:10   Link #95
Undertaker

Ikkitousen does fit the requirement except that there is no main character that is male. While there seem to be a prominent male character, he is quickly reduced to more of minor character status.

You'll enjoy is as long as you are not subbing yourself in the story. The show is basically a feast on T&A and hot girls fighting each other, though is more tastely done than Queen's Blade,IMO.

Think this way, if you like Index enough and decide to give Railgun a shot to learn more about the ToAru world and ends up enjoying Railgun, than you would be fine with Ikkitousen's format and it will open up a whole new genre of fighting girls anime with a hint of yuri (lesbian) action... (which is great, BTW)
Old 2011-10-22, 06:56   Link #96
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Ok, it's not what i'm looking for. Thank you for the description, you avoided me something i wouldn't have enjoyed.

Anyways, watched the ova episodes of To love Ru, and they were a fest of ecchiness, even more than the first series. I'm really enjoying this. Now watching the second series, and i'm liking that the ecchiness factor is being focused more: currently i'd rate it above 9, according to my previous list. This definitely works. Should finish it within today, then switch to To aru no index.

I'll keep this topic updated. Thank you again for replying, you both suggested so many good titles so far.
Old 2011-10-22, 09:47   Link #97
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I will second the suggestion for Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu.

It has almost none of the mecha trappings of the main two other "seasons"(the Gonzo animated first season and the KyoAni Second Raid). The main character, Sousuke Sagara is a good-natured guy who is an expert in all things military but has NO social skills so much of the comedy comes from Sousuke trying to use military logic at school. The main heroine, Kaname Chidori is quite tsundere, and often "punishes" Sousuke with a paper fan. Fumoffu was also animated by Kyoto Animation(and the creator of Full Metal Panic has written episodes for Haruhi. Mysterique Sign was directed by him hence the FMP shoutouts)

As for other anime:
I will add that the second season of TWGOK introduces a tsundere New Demon named Haqua, and she becomes a semi-regular character. Her interactions with Keima are quite funny.

I've only seen the first two episodes of it so far, but I think Demon King Daimao might also have some of the stuff you're looking for. Kickass male lead, tsundere female lead, cute supporting characters.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 12:49   Link #98
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Good, i'll add them to the list.

Anyways, finished watching To love Ru, and really enjoyed it. The end was also kinda pleasant in all the ways (something opposite to school days), beside having huge loads of fanservice everytime. This wins.

Started watching To aru no index, now going for the 4th episode. It didn't bore me so far, so i'll continue watching it. Thanks again for your suggestions.

EDIT
finished watching ep 6, what the fuck, the girl got only 7-8 years? Fuck, i'm not a pedo omg, i see no developing in that relation, ever, unless the story will be ported towards 10 years or smth. Also it appears that the male protagonist and his school mates are at middle school, meaning <14 years.

:<

:<

Last edited by Classified Info; 2011-10-22 at 14:32.
Old 2011-10-22, 14:59   Link #99
Undertaker

The main character should be in high school (1st year maybe second if I remember correctly) Index should be 13 or14 and Misaka Mikoto is a year older or so. But word of advice, don't get too hanged up on the ages, age is almost meaningless in anime. While Komoe (the teacher) is actually one of the oldest character in the series, despite her mysterious physique. And episode 10-14 is one of my favorite anime story arc.
Old 2011-10-22, 15:34   Link #100
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Passed ep8, and i yawned loudly.

Sorry to say, but i guess the time to watch it hasn't come yet. The story doesn't look bad, the male protagonist is also totally fine, same goes for some other character that was presented, but it is giving me the feeling of a Shakugan no shana with even less love stuff. Also, no ecchi/fanservice is a downside :/, and it's missing the fun side of TWGOK.

I still need some animes that remind me of first love or school days, so i'll temporarily drop it and start watching sekirei or kiss x sis.

Anyways, for future suggestions, take To love Ru as a good example: it just had fuckloads of fanservice and ecchiness, lots of embarassing situations where the male always happened to unwillingly grab some tits etc. Also, to love ru had a good final (actually, the final was shit, meaning that it's kinda unreal for something like that to happen, but i've never saw such an happy ending; it's the opposite of school days, so it's extremely happy, and i'm totally fine with it) so well, looking for something like that.

Actually, i should make a new topic, since the title no longer represents my interests, but i'll think a little more before opening a new one.