AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-03, 21:29   Link #101
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I have a feeling the pricing was just a feeble attempt at discouraging reverse importing by the Japanese...
Just a feeling. no facts.
Old 2007-04-03, 21:53   Link #102
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
The first volume is about $20 and the rest is $50.......

If the first volume only has one episode, I'm going to laugh my ass off!
Laugh away--from Animeondvd.com:

Quote:
Galaxy Angel Rune Details (09:22 PM EDT): Some of the specs in yesterday's press release from Bandai Visual USA were a bit vague when it came to Galaxy Angel Rune. We've confirmed today that the first volume is indeed $19.99 and contains a single episode. We've also confirmed that the series will be in Japanese only with English language subtitles.
Old 2007-04-03, 22:31   Link #103
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

$170 for a so-so series at best. What crack is BV smoking? This is a case of pricing themselves out of their market. No one, and I mean no one will get this series at that price.
Old 2007-04-03, 23:14   Link #104
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru View Post
Laugh away--from Animeondvd.com:
You gotta be kidding me. So 4-4-4 for volumes 2-4. Seriously, what are they thinking? This isn't Haruhi-level fandom they're dealing with.
Old 2007-04-04, 02:22   Link #105
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
You gotta be kidding me. So 4-4-4 for volumes 2-4. Seriously, what are they thinking? This isn't Haruhi-level fandom they're dealing with.
Even if it WAS... imagine what would have happened if they announced Haruhi like:

No-dub, chronological order only, 2 eps per disc, MSRP $49.99, final episode on disc 7, MSRP $29.99
Episode 0 sold on seperate disc, MSRP $29.99

Note, this is still slightly cheaper than the R2 DVDs.

There would have been death threats. No joke. I wouldn't be surprised if some crazy fan would have kidnaped Patricia Lee and attempted to ransom her for a price decrease.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-04-04, 13:29   Link #106
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Even if it WAS... imagine what would have happened if they announced Haruhi like:

No-dub, chronological order only, 2 eps per disc, MSRP $49.99, final episode on disc 7, MSRP $29.99
Episode 0 sold on seperate disc, MSRP $29.99

Note, this is still slightly cheaper than the R2 DVDs.

There would have been death threats. No joke. I wouldn't be surprised if some crazy fan would have kidnaped Patricia Lee and attempted to ransom her for a price decrease.
Haha, and that would be non-LE's

And you, Quarkboy! LOL Is this you?
Old 2007-04-04, 14:25   Link #107
FireChick

Quote:
Galaxy Angel Rune Details (09:22 PM EDT): Some of the specs in yesterday's press release from Bandai Visual USA were a bit vague when it came to Galaxy Angel Rune. We've confirmed today that the first volume is indeed $19.99 and contains a single episode. We've also confirmed that the series will be in Japanese only with English language subtitles.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?! NO FAIR!!!! I WANNA HAVE AN ENGLISH DUB!!! What the flip is Bansai Visual USA THINKING?!?! I wanna send a full-fledged e-mail to them NOW!!!!!
Old 2007-04-04, 18:34   Link #108
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
Haha, and that would be non-LE's

And you, Quarkboy! LOL Is this you?
OMG, that's just WEIRD. I didn't even realize the names were the same. I found your blog just by searching for "bandai visual" and ordering by date.

It's a small internet after all, I guess?
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-04-04, 19:14   Link #109
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
OMG, that's just WEIRD. I didn't even realize the names were the same. I found your blog just by searching for "bandai visual" and ordering by date.

It's a small internet after all, I guess?
lol I guess. I actually registered to those forums just to reply. Then I noticed replies here under the same username.
Old 2007-04-06, 05:15   Link #110
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I just noticed this news on AnimeOnDVD.com myself... My comments:

1) Bandai Visual USA either did not do proper market research, or they should fire whoever person or whatever company that did the research immediately.

2) Assuming no price adjustments are going to be made, GAII discs will probably sell worse than the Toei discs. In any case, apart from Gunbuster 2 (which probably still has enough fans that will pay $39 for 2 eps/disc), Bandai Visual USA is doomed.

3) "You know if your anime company is in trouble when" ... "the webmaster of a major Anime-on-DVD site comments:"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge
I was in such a fit of laughter over Galaxy Angel Rune that I lost track of time
4) The math:
Volume 1 - 1 episode = $20/episode (MSRP)
Volume 2-4 - 4 episodes - $12.50/episode (MSRP)
Total cost (MSRP) = $170 for 13 episodes.

In the past, several companies (especially Pioneer/Geneon) have released 13 episodes series on 4 discs before, at the normal MSRP of $30 per disc. That makes the total series cost $120. Bandai Visual USA is $50 more than that.

5) The price point will probably cause no B&M store in the US to carry their DVDs. The lack of a dub makes the DVDs even less interesting from a casual fan point of view. That leaves the hardcore anime fan that already does most of it's anime buying online: but unless such a fan is terribly rich or a huge GA fan, they're likely to spend their cash on something with more value for money.

6) Maybe they'd get the point if we all send them postcards with "condolences on your imminent bankruptcy"
Old 2007-04-06, 15:56   Link #111
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
5) The price point will probably cause no B&M store in the US to carry their DVDs. The lack of a dub makes the DVDs even less interesting from a casual fan point of view. That leaves the hardcore anime fan that already does most of it's anime buying online: but unless such a fan is terribly rich or a huge GA fan, they're likely to spend their cash on something with more value for money.
Actually, their stuff is being distroed by Geneon, so I suspect we WILL see a few copies of it in the B&M stores (probably because of some contractual obligations).

I'll make sure to complain to the local store staff that they mismarked the price, and try and get them to sell it to me for 29.99 instead .
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-05-16, 06:32   Link #112
FireChick

GALAXY ANGE-RUNE IS GOING TO BE DUBBED!!!!!!!! I HAVE PROOF!!!!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6255

It seems Bandai Visual is finally giving up not dubbing it and deciding to dub it! Woooo! And another company named Honneamise is involved with the license as well. Here are the english cast!

Dana Hill - Anise Azeat
Lisa Enochs - Kahlua 'Tequila' Majoram
Stephanie Beard - Apricot 'Rico' Sakuraba
Susan Roman - Lily C Sherbet
Tabitha St. Germain - Nano Nano Pudding (Sweet!)
Old 2007-05-16, 06:57   Link #113
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
GALAXY ANGE-RUNE IS GOING TO BE DUBBED!!!!!!!! I HAVE PROOF!!!!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6255

It seems Bandai Visual is finally giving up not dubbing it and deciding to dub it! Woooo! And another company named Honneamise is involved with the license as well. Here are the english cast!

Dana Hill - Anise Azeat
Lisa Enochs - Kahlua 'Tequila' Majoram
Stephanie Beard - Apricot 'Rico' Sakuraba
Susan Roman - Lily C Sherbet
Tabitha St. Germain - Nano Nano Pudding (Sweet!)
Honneamise is simply another name for Bandai Visual USA. It's the name of their "signature" line of DVDs.

Interesting that this information is there. I'd like to see some more official source than people editing animenewsnetwork's encyclopedia .
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-05-16, 15:08   Link #114
FireChick

I have a theory. I think Bandai Visual is gonna release the subbed DVD and Honneamise will released the dubbed DVD.
Old 2007-05-16, 21:25   Link #115
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
That user who posted that cast list is a spammer and is now banned. I reported this here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/...ic.php?t=37690
Old 2007-05-16, 21:52   Link #116
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Yeah... figures. BV isn't going to be doing any dubs until it sees how the sales are for its undubbed stuff.

Here's my prediction:

BV execs: "Hmmm, the undubbed shows are selling just as well as the ones we did with dubs. I.e. they aren't selling at all!! What are we going to do now?!"
BV execs sniviling evil underling: "I think they have too many episodes on each disk, clearly the american consumer doesn't have that kind of attention span."
BV exec: "I see, go on..."
BV execs sniviling evil underling: "And we aren't charging enough per disc. The americans feel our low prices are insulting their superior economic status! A proper markup for all the extra effort we put in from our R2 releases should do wonders for sales."
BV exec: "Of course! You're right!"

2 months later: "Where did we go wrong?"
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-05-18, 17:46   Link #117
FireChick

Oh flip! The english cast for the series has been removed off of Anime News Network! Waaaaaaaaah!!! No flipping FAIR!!! AGAIN!
Old 2007-06-08, 12:25   Link #118
Asrialys

Neat! Yuuna Inamura, the voice of Apricot Sakuraba, will be appearing at the Galaxy Angel Rune panel on June 29 at Anime Expo 2007. She's also doing a signing for Rune's pre-release at the con!

ANN Article

Quote:

Bandai Visual USA will also be part of the “Galaxy Angel Rune” panel on Friday, June 29, 3:00-3:50 p.m. in Live Programming Room #2. Participating in the panel will be “Galaxy Angel Rune” voice actor Yuuna Inamura, who will also make appearances at the Bandai Visual USA and Broccoli International USA booth to sign copies of “Galaxy Angel Rune” volume 1, which is being made available for purchase before the official July 10 release date. Ms. Inamura's appearance is sponsored by anime content developer Broccoli Co. Ltd.

Tags
bishoujo, broccoli, comedy, kemonomimi, satelight, science fiction