Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-01-08, 19:45   Link #1
Demon Eyes
May Haru-ki Be With You

Send a message via MSN to Demon Eyes
Blank web pages

Hi there,

I was to google and 4chan and still no solution to my problem.

So I came here. I hope you can help me.

Okay, here is the gist;

I have been surfing the web the last 6 or so years just fine...

That is, until two days ago...

For some reason, I can't visit some sites that I was frequenting. Other people still get to them but not me. Firefox gives me blank pages and IE cannot display the page

Here is what I tried:

1. Changed profiles in Firefox.
2. Uninstalled, re-installed Firefox.
3. Went from XP to Vista(Yes, installed a new OS too)
4. Followed some steps on adding IP address to some DNS resolv.confi something(Forgot the steps, maybe I did it wrong? Remind me please if you know of this)

After all this, I still can't access them.

Examples of these pages are;

1. www.mediafire.com
2. http://membres.lycos.fr/fanficcafe/ggslash/pairing.html

And many more.

Please help me...

Thank you in advance...
Demon Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 20:06   Link #2
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

can other people in dublin open these pages? and you reinstalled your OS?

can you open the pages in IE?

reinstall of your OS would erase any conflicts other than your router. try and unplug your router and connect direct to your modem.

other than that, try switching IP address', maybe ur IP is showing up in a ban for some reason. happened to me once.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 20:10   Link #3
Venom XD
What Color Do You Bleed

Send a message via AIM to Venom XD Send a message via MSN to Venom XD
try using internet explore Lol
Venom XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 20:44   Link #4
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Those pages work for me. The sites might be blocking you, though I'll assume not as you've not indicated that you've done anything that would cause them to do so.

If it doesn't work in another browser (which you seem to suggest it doesn't in IE), I suggest you start with some simple diagnostics. Run the command prompt and use the "nslookup" and "ping" commands, with each address that doesn't work; you can post the results here for someone to comment on if you don't know how to interpret them. If you are having DNS or network issues that should help discount the obvious. If you don't know how to use nslookup or ping, read the help pages (linked). There are other tools such as "tracert" and "pathping", try those too if you can (again read the help pages if you don't know the exact command to type).
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 21:15   Link #5
Demon Eyes
May Haru-ki Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Those pages work for me. The sites might be blocking you, though I'll assume not as you've not indicated that you've done anything that would cause them to do so.

If it doesn't work in another browser (which you seem to suggest it doesn't in IE), I suggest you start with some simple diagnostics. Run the command prompt and use the "nslookup" and "ping" commands, with each address that doesn't work; you can post the results here for someone to comment on if you don't know how to interpret them. If you are having DNS or network issues that should help discount the obvious. If you don't know how to use nslookup or ping, read the help pages (linked). There are other tools such as "tracert" and "pathping", try those too if you can (again read the help pages if you don't know the exact command to type).
Erm...Ahem...Hi,

I really tried...but I just can't understand what's on those links.

Anyway at all that you can break it up really...really to the basics?

And I did try IE and Opera too but the same thing, to Potatochobit and Venom XD
Old 2008-01-08, 22:21   Link #6
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Try running an anti-spyware it could be something trying to redirect all your pages to a nasty process.

*edit*
Wait you went and reinstalled didn't you
Old 2008-01-08, 22:27   Link #7
Demon Eyes
May Haru-ki Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Try running an anti-spyware it could be something trying to redirect all your pages to a nasty process.

*edit*
Wait you went and reinstalled didn't you
I did...

And the disk was completely formatted so no left over viruses...
Old 2008-01-09, 05:41   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Just so you know, most browsers don't display errors! When you see warnings like 404 Page Not Found, a access violation... what have you, (even the most crude ones) that's not the browser, it's the server!

Basically what has happened is that next to the error message it sent to the browser it attached a lil' html page for you. No, it's not because the people on the other side are nice to you... it's because there are such things as finite network resource and people refreshing a page every second isn't generally a good thing.

In the case of bans most servers, unless configured or set up otherwise, will probably just send the error to the browser, and no message to you, since "you" being a bad person have no need to be help. That, and sending anything but 1k of "goodbye" header, which should be able to pass through even old modem connection in one go, might help you flood/annoy/etc the server...

You can try calling the server manually to see what response it sends to the browser.
See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616 for the specifications for the simple old HTTP protocol.

(If the browser stalls presume network problem; either on the way, but in some unlikely scenarios a bug on the server can also cause it)
Old 2008-01-09, 11:57   Link #9
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

If it's not the PC, and Demon Eyes can obviously go to Animesuki, then we can put it as either the router, the server, or the ISP. Either one of those might be throttling his IP address for something he didn't do.

I dunno...unplug your router, reset your router, whatever.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 20:18   Link #10
Demon Eyes
May Haru-ki Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
If it's not the PC, and Demon Eyes can obviously go to Animesuki, then we can put it as either the router, the server, or the ISP. Either one of those might be throttling his IP address for something he didn't do.

I dunno...unplug your router, reset your router, whatever.
Thank you ^^

I did just those things already but still nothing.

I have decided to give up on those sites..

Boo hoo hoo. No more Gilmore Girls Slash fics for me...