Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-16, 19:45   Link #81
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Happiness doesn't necessarily stem from success in the eyes of others.
D
I never said he was happy or that he would be because he accomplished that; what I said was that he had the prospect of a bright future, the potential for a bright future, which he undeniably had.

That his accomplishments didn't suffice in his case and weren't enough to make him happy should be obvious, and there was an underlying reason to destroy his motivation for living, so that he became beside himself, even while fulfilling the roles and duties of society in an apparently ideal way.
Old 2004-11-16, 20:26   Link #82
sarcasteak
WAHA~

I never said you said that; I merely pointed it out 1.) the obvious that all his accomplishments and success in society apparently did not present a good enough reason for his existence, and 2.) that ultimately, success or potential should have no bearing (to the person himself) once a life is lost--the loss is society's, not his.
Old 2004-11-16, 21:11   Link #83
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestessKikyo
Quote:
Worthless people should die
But who gets to decide what makes people worthless? And if someone is worthless, shouldn't they work towards making themselves worthy of being alive instead of ending it in the first place?
Well, obviously the person who wants to commit suicide gets to decide if they are worthless. I tend to believe them if they are so hung up about it. But if you mean in general, then ANYONE has the right to deem another person worthless. But it doesn't mean that person is going to be strung up by an angry mob and beat to death based upon another person's judgement and opinion. Hell, it doesn't even nessisarily mean that that person is indeed worthless. Inteligent people are not so easily lead as to change their views and opinions based upon the fact alone that somebody else thinks differently.

In my opinion, people that constantly need somebody else's aproval, pity, or encouragement (for example: suicidal assholes) are worthless dogs that make this world so ugly. If you can't think for yourself, you are better off not thinking at all... or breathing for that matter.

As for working toward self-improvement, I am 100% for it. Alot better sollution than killing yourself, but if you are only improving yourself by conforming to somebody else's way of living, then you still aren't contributing to society with original thought and you really AREN'T improving; you are only mimiking somebody else who isn't suicidal.
Old 2004-11-16, 22:15   Link #84
tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
A better question would be if it is ever waranted. Are there times when living is so hard that it isn't worth the trouble?
I can think of a few cases where living wouldn't be worth the trouble. For instance if a person has a disease for which there is no cure that will progressively destroy the person physically and/or mentally. Alzheimers, parkinsons disease, untreatable cancer. The end is approaching anyway and deciding to stick around to watch the bitter end come seems almost masochistic.

Quote:
Does it ever actually solve a problem? Does it selfishly pass your problems onto others? Does suicide sometimes make life easier for those you care about, or only leave them with more pain?
It can put an end to a persons continued suffering. It can also bring with it a sense of relief and closure to friends and family who had to watch a loved one die a slow and painful death. Suicide could also give a person facing such a death the means to avoid unnecessary medical and personal care expenses which over time could bleed them financially dry if they have no health insurance which will cover the costs.

But for a young person who is in good mental and physical health, suicide is no answer. That's like playing a football game and at the end of the first quarter deciding that because the game really isn't going your way, it's time to just quit. Rather than give up, that the time when a person needs to try and understand the reasons behind why they aren't winning and decide what changes need to be made to alter the outcome in their favor. Every loser is a winner who's just hasn't figured out how to win yet. Ah heck...feels like I'm channeling coach Bear Bryant tonight.
Old 2004-11-18, 01:34   Link #85
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewLB
I'm personally of the opinoin that people who commit suicide should be shot.
Quote:
Originally posted by NSW
suicide isn't a good thing. It seriously gets in the way of living.
Am I the only one that sees the irony in this?
Old 2004-11-18, 01:44   Link #86
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

The whole suicide thing was so early 90's ... grunge/alternative rock made all the kids depressed...

on topic.. imo... suicide is up to the individual... not anybody else... it all comes down to choice... it's up to the person if they feel it's necessary or not... I don't think anyone has the right to tell another person how they should live their life...
Old 2004-11-18, 03:19   Link #87
Umbrae
Generic Human

Questions:

1. Age/Gender

26 / male

2. Have you ever considered about attempting a suicide?
a) Yes b) No c) I have thought about it, but it wasn't very serious

A) Yes

2b. Only answer to this question if you answered yes, a) in the previous question.
Did your suicide thoughts include serious depression?
a) Yes b) No

A) Yes

2c. Only answer to this question if you answered yes a) in question 2.
Did you think about attempting a suicide in the last 6 months?
a) Yes b) No

A) Yes

3. Do you think suicide is acceptable?
a) Yes, everyone decides of their own life. b) No. Never. c) If there are good reasons behind it, etc. religious or ethic reasons. Note: Euthanasia isn't included in these reasons, or in this whole survey.

A) Yes, It is thier life to utilize, waste, or discard.

4. Has someone you knew well, ever done a suicide?

Yes, more than one.
Old 2004-11-18, 20:45   Link #88
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe
I actually laughed (dont hate me for that)
Old 2004-11-19, 01:23   Link #89
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
I actually laughed (dont hate me for that)
You know, there are still places in the world where suicide is a crime punishable by death.
Old 2004-11-19, 01:26   Link #90
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
You know, there are still places in the world where suicide is a crime punishable by death.
So there IS such thing as overkill.

Hmm, does that mean if someone fails a suicide attempt, the government will finish the job for him/her? Wow, how nice of them!
Old 2004-11-19, 01:30   Link #91
hooliganj
Team Player

I remember reading that in England, a suicide was punishable by death, and an attempted (read: failed) suicide resulted in imprisonment. I'm not sure if that law's still on the books though.
Old 2004-11-19, 01:41   Link #92
ramune

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
I remember reading that in England, a suicide was punishable by death, and an attempted (read: failed) suicide resulted in imprisonment. I'm not sure if that law's still on the books though.
So how are they going to kill a person who's already dead?
Old 2004-11-19, 02:06   Link #93
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune
So how are they going to kill a person who's already dead?
This is British Law we're dealing with here, it doesn't have to make any kind of sense.
Old 2004-11-19, 02:32   Link #94
LIQUIDCELL

Bipolar disorder....perception of perfection = deppression.

Substance abuse and paralyzing fear of failure...

A fellow medical student failed one of the courses and committed suicide. She---was an honor student. Evidently, she thought it was an ultimate crime to fail and tarnish her parent's expectation---I figure--- she loved their ideals more than she loved herself.

What a waste!

For anyone out there who's thinking of suicide, DON'T BE A MORON!
Old 2004-11-19, 03:29   Link #95
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUIDCELL
Bipolar disorder....perception of perfection = deppression.

Substance abuse and paralyzing fear of failure...

A fellow medical student failed one of the courses and committed suicide. She---was an honor student. Evidently, she thought it was an ultimate crime to fail and tarnish her parent's expectation---I figure--- she loved their ideals more than she loved herself.

What a waste!

For anyone out there who's thinking of suicide, DON'T BE A MORON!
well, if she is that fucked up in the head, what else might she have done? she could have went on a killing spree. Millions would die by her hand! The world is clearly better without her.

But seriously, are you saying that somebody with a mental disorder is a moron for thinking about suicide? Seems rather insensitive for a person trying to look out for others' well beings.
Old 2004-11-20, 22:53   Link #96
^danshi^
running bear

1. 19/male
2. c) (I thought about what would happen if I did it, but I didn't ever want to do it.)
3. c) (Although I can't really think of a good reason...)
4. No, but some tried.
Old 2004-11-21, 02:28   Link #97
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobo God
well, if she is that fucked up in the head, what else might she have done? she could have went on a killing spree. Millions would die by her hand! The world is clearly better without her.

But seriously, are you saying that somebody with a mental disorder is a moron for thinking about suicide? Seems rather insensitive for a person trying to look out for others' well beings.
I just love irony (or is this just being a hypocrite) and this post is full of them!(ironys not hypcrites)
but seriously what about a mental problem that is brought on by perscribed drugs is that person also a moron for thinking about sucide though they cannot control it?
Old 2004-11-21, 03:51   Link #98
NeverRamza

Society's taken this general view that anyone who wants to kill themself is just a wuss who wants to take the easy way out, and I guess it's better for society as a whole to have that mindset, but I really don't find it true. If someone is going to go to the extreme of ending their very own life there must be something really damn wrong. A bunch of dorks then sitting around calling that person a pussy and getting off on each other so they feel better about themselves is just stupid. It's unfortunate, but leave the armchair psychology at home for this one, because it's just stupid.
Old 2004-11-21, 05:03   Link #99
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
I just love irony (or is this just being a hypocrite) and this post is full of them!(ironys not hypcrites)
but seriously what about a mental problem that is brought on by perscribed drugs is that person also a moron for thinking about sucide though they cannot control it?
just to clear things up i'm not debating insensitivity, i'm all for it. I'm questioning the consistancy of his arguement. ^_^
Old 2004-11-22, 11:59   Link #100
Lady Yanami
There's always a catch...

Send a message via AIM to Lady Yanami Send a message via MSN to Lady Yanami

Questions:

1. Age/Gender: 26/F

2. Have you ever considered about attempting a suicide? Yes I have

2b. Only answer to this question if you answered yes, in the previous question.
Did your suicide thoughts include serious depression? Absolutely

2c. Only answer to this question if you answered yes in question 2.
Did you think about attempting a suicide in the last 6 months? No

3. Do you think suicide is acceptable? No never. Actually, I think it's the coward's way out of things.

4. Has someone you knew well, ever done a suicide? No thank God.
Closed Thread