AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Bakemonogatari - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 58 42.96%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 34.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 16.30%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-29, 13:49   Link #61
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post
If there's one thing that bothers me about this episode, it's about how Senjougahara is so calm (again) at seeing a blood-covered Araragi. She know he can regenerate his wounds, but so far (at least in the anime) it's never been covered to what extent he can regenerate. And there was also that whole "I'll kill you tidbit" in the previous episode where Araragi complained about how Senjougahara would kill him, so there has to be a way to kill him.

Senjougahara doesn't even check Araragi's wounds or ask him if he's ok, although I guess since the lighting was bad she may have not seen the worst of it. Though it still bothers me that Senjoughara doesn't even bother with it.

Then again, he was able to get up with half of his intestinal tract missing a couple minutes later, so I guess it really isn't that bad.
You forget that Hitagi was a wreck for two years ?
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 14:14   Link #62
Clarste
Human

I'm not sure what people are expecting out of Senjougahara. It's been established that she has trouble responding to emotions in normal ways, and it's quite clear that she's concerned for him in her own way. Do people want her to just suddenly turn into a normal girl and lose all her characterization?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 14:49   Link #63
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
You forget that Hitagi was a wreck for two years ?
I... what? What does that have to do with her wondering if Araragi was still ok?

And I say that not because I want her to be a "conventional" girl, but because she didn't even show any signs of caring about Araragi wounds. Yes, she jumped in front of him to save him, but that to me doesn't show that she was immediately worried about him. She could've said one line of "Your regeneration abilities let you survive even that much?" and that would've been enough for me. But instead she jumps straight to "you lied to me."
qwertyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 15:02   Link #64
kujoe
from head to heel

Personally, I prefer love stories that are skillful with the art of understatement and subtlety. To me, understated scenes when done well are more powerful and meaningful when they prompt you to think and feel the emotions presented naturally. Sometimes, less is more.

When she sees Araragi, no running over to his side is shown nor even a distressed glance towards his bloodied state. She simply asks Araragi if he intends to make her a killer, a question referring back to their past conversation about her killing whomever would become his murderer as an expression of love and dedication. She would rather be his murderer than have someone else take his last moments away from her.

Moreover, instead of running over and crying tears at his side, she steps in front in order to block Kanbaru's way.

These two simple acts already speak volumes to me, especially the second one when you consider that there's really nothing special about Senjougahara save for her penchant for staplers and her 'damaged' personality. She has no heightened healing ability, possesses no supernatural strength, so for her to step in front against Kanbaru is no small feat.

The thing is, Senjougahara isn't your typical heroine, and placing her in a romantic situation requires a different approach. To use a very blunt expression, "she's already damaged goods," however because of this, her character is very open to such an understated and unique treatment.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 15:18   Link #65
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
I... what? What does that have to do with her wondering if Araragi was still ok?

And I say that not because I want her to be a "conventional" girl, but because she didn't even show any signs of caring about Araragi wounds. Yes, she jumped in front of him to save him, but that to me doesn't show that she was immediately worried about him. She could've said one line of "Your regeneration abilities let you survive even that much?" and that would've been enough for me. But instead she jumps straight to "you lied to me."
So you want a faster character development ?

You realise this is like only 4weeks after her regaining her emotions and weight.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 17:39   Link #66
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
So you want a faster character development ?

You realise this is like only 4weeks after her regaining her emotions and weight.
I wouldn't call it character development. She's clearly blunt when it comes to expressing her love for Araragi. I don't see why she isn't as blunt with her other emotions that are also clearly there, or at least, why she doesn't satirically express them.
qwertyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 18:39   Link #67
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
I wouldn't call it character development. She's clearly blunt when it comes to expressing her love for Araragi. I don't see why she isn't as blunt with her other emotions that are also clearly there, or at least, why she doesn't satirically express them.
Hmm... I see your point, but, while I can't quite put my finger on it, I'm just having trouble imagining her walking in and making a remark, sarcastic or otherwise, that shows overt concern for Araragi's well-being. Somehow it doesn't seem in-character to me.
Old 2009-08-29, 23:28   Link #68
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Trying not to read too much since i dont want to be spoiled but there was no way to miss the whole hand chopping off thing. Um does this mean Araragi wont be able to clap ever again?
Old 2009-08-29, 23:31   Link #69
zato_1one

Although it's far from normal tradition. But that's her way to express her affection. IMO

Last edited by zato_1one; 2009-08-30 at 01:32.
zato_1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 00:09   Link #70
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Trying not to read too much since i dont want to be spoiled but there was no way to miss the whole hand chopping off thing. Um does this mean Araragi wont be able to clap ever again?
Ehh? His hand got broken pretty badly but it was still attached. I checked again and he seems to have it for the rest of the fight too, and in the aftermath.
Old 2009-08-30, 00:58   Link #71
Pachael
原作通り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
He's seen riding his bike at the end of the episode, so his hands have clearly regained functionality. Wouldn't quite be able to ride a bike with a hand snapped backwards.
Pachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 03:47   Link #72
zato_1one

Just want to inform that gg sub is already out.
Old 2009-08-30, 05:04   Link #73
brocko

^ Speaking of gg, Araragi got GG'ed pretty damn good this episode
Poor guy walked straight into an absolute beating thinking he'd be able to put up a fight. Wait, a fight you say? More like a slaughter to me

Also how exactly does Shinobu drinking Araragi's blood actually equate to a power-up? So he gets stronger by losing blood? That can't make sense

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 05:14   Link #74
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
^ Speaking of gg, Araragi got GG'ed pretty damn good this episode
Poor guy walked straight into an absolute beating thinking he'd be able to put up a fight. Wait, a fight you say? More like a slaughter to me

Also how exactly does Shinobu drinking Araragi's blood actually equate to a power-up? So he gets stronger by losing blood? That can't make sense
I'm gonna say magic. Because vampires are magical. That said, I don't think I've ever heard of another setting where the blood loss itself is what causes the vampire transformation. Usually they have to get some vampire blood into them as well.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 05:23   Link #75
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Wow, getting swung around by your intestines... Araragi you've gotta be an M.

Anyway, novel readers. What's up with Kanbaru's hand at the end? Is it still that fugly hairy thing underneath? Cuz bandage +1 but that hairy arm -100...
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 05:36   Link #76
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
My thought is that it's some kind of master-slave relationship. If Shinobu become stronger, Araragi would become stronger as well.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 05:39   Link #77
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

That fight scene was so Maria Holic OP crossed with Negima!? OP.

Gotta love how the music for the fight scene was so Satoru Kousaki.
Old 2009-08-30, 06:08   Link #78
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post

Anyway, novel readers. What's up with Kanbaru's hand at the end? Is it still that fugly hairy thing underneath? Cuz bandage +1 but that hairy arm -100...
Even though she is no longer under the devil's control the deformed hand is permanent, similar to Hitagi's condition to the extent that her left hand is also left with the super strength.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 06:32   Link #79
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I'm gonna say magic. Because vampires are magical. That said, I don't think I've ever heard of another setting where the blood loss itself is what causes the vampire transformation. Usually they have to get some vampire blood into them as well.
Hm... then maybe some of Shinobu's vampiric blood gets mixed into Araragi's bloodstream whilst she's drinking it perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
My thought is that it's some kind of master-slave relationship. If Shinobu become stronger, Araragi would become stronger as well.
That's another way to look at it too i guess.

Man I just realised that we've passed the half-way mark for Bakemonogatari already. I want the show to go on longer dammit T_T

On the flip side though, I'm loving how all these arcs must always end with his two sisters waking him up in the morning.
A rather nice way to let us know everything is back to normal again imo

Mou!

Mou!

Eeeee~!

This shot here too at the end of the Kanbaru's OP is rather powerful at making me feel her imo, especially in the way it suddenly changes to a bloodshot red. Pretty tragic to be getting stabbed like that when you think about it =/

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 06:51   Link #80
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post

Not a novel reader, yet; but from what I gathered, the wish was nulled, not the possession ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That fight scene was so Maria Holic OP crossed with Negima!? OP.
I liked the way they handled it, despite having a high resistance to gore, I somewhat doubt that I could handle a realistic depiction of Araragi becoming a human hammer throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Gotta love how the music for the fight scene was so Satoru Kousaki.
I also liked the BGM, very weird choice, but quite fitting.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote