winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 10:33   Link #1922
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

thanks god there is something , but without HTT it won't be the same
Old 2012-05-07, 10:38   Link #1923
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well Azusa's group will graduate by the end of their school year. So if they push that forward, the author could get away with moving her from high school to university to join the others.

The plan to drop the university chapters might be misleading. It might be only to drop the manga from two magazines to just one (and less work each month). But if the story follows Azusa (and not just the club room theory where it will keep after Sumire and Nao for two more years) then the manga will naturally shift back to University with Azusa rejoining HTT...because it is kind of obvious that she want to.

Thus two more chapters of University, the High school Festival (first and perhaps only time we'll see Azusa's band play on stage), Azusa, Ui, and Jun's college testing and greaduation, then back to University with Azusa joining the slightly altered Yui, Mugi, Mio, and Ritsu. Then having to fit in-between Yui and Akira.

Though I could be wrong, as while the University chapters are more different and different things are happening, the truth right now is that the High School chapters are more satifying. Probably because of Sumire and her connection with Mugi. We've gotten more about Mugi via Sumire than we ever got from Mugi in the original run or the University chapters. Though I don't know if the dynamic could be maintained with Sumire and Noa. They would need a lot of personalities to go for it after Azusa, Ui, and Jun leave. And the HTT group has more personality...they just need something to do.
Old 2012-05-07, 11:57   Link #1924
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll wait and see .... but frankly, if he does drop the uni setting and the girls vanish, I'm disappointed. We've got dozens and dozens of "high school settings" so I'm just naturally inclined to support university or workplace settings.
Old 2012-05-07, 14:46   Link #1925
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll wait and see .... but frankly, if he does drop the uni setting and the girls vanish, I'm disappointed.
Me too. Actually, that's an understatement... I'm more or less devastated. I won't copypasta what I just wrote on my blog, but it's here for anyone to read. It's quite bitter and ranty though, be warned.
Old 2012-05-07, 15:33   Link #1926
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

instead of high school story ,she should continue the university line ,because i feel those four girls are the main leads , azusa is also ,but what can we that they are not together now
i wish to see HTT become a professional band
Old 2012-05-08, 05:13   Link #1927
-Rhythm
けいおん!

Ugh.. what's K-ON! without the four.
Old 2012-05-08, 05:22   Link #1928
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rhythm View Post
Hopefully Ithekro's speculation is right... since I too love the uni characters. Very unfortunate since we could barely see anything in it. Not to mention that Sachi and Ayame haven't been explored more.

But if the Uni chapters will really end soon, then... Azusa is the main character of this series after all
Old 2012-05-08, 05:58   Link #1929
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

I guess for us, all we can do is wait and see. (Feeling a sense of deja vu, as it's a similar situation to the localisation of the Ace Attorney games)
I certainly want to see more of the university side of things, but it seems clear that the new uni characters haven't quite resonated with the fans...

Nothing is set in stone, after all. Perhaps kakifly may revisit the uni side further down the road, perhaps not.
Now that I think about it, are we starting to see a possible convergence of the two story lines, as many here have predicted a while back?
Old 2012-05-08, 07:54   Link #1930
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rhythm View Post
Just another slice-of-life/moe series. Except with Azusa and Sumire to tie it back to the Main Four. To be fair, the university series was a bit of a gamble; and any popularity it has probably would have more to do with The Main Four than anything else.

There's also the slight problem that the college series reads much like a redux of when the girls were in high school. Yes, there are cosmetic changes (the addition of hilarious stock characters, more outfits, and the girls in a dormitory environment.) However, in the end, they're still doing the same things they were doing in high school (getting on with studies, music club activities, hanging out, Yui molesting her latest cuddlebug, and since the parents were mostly invisible for about 90% of the first four volumes, they were effectively in a dormitory environment already.)

There were some interesting threads that could've been better explored in the college series (like Yui's increasing self-reliance and maturity,) but it might be that a four-panel gag comic wasn't the best medium for that (there were many times that I hit page eight of a given chapter of the college series and was left with a feeling of "this really should've been longer.")
Old 2012-05-08, 11:42   Link #1931
kaitok
Inspired Musician

this news is causing havoc in the k-on fandom already. damn.

I'm seriously hoping that it's because Azusa is graduating and then the 4 will come back when Azusa attends their university. Seriously, what is going through kakifly-sensei's mind when he decides to stop the story for the main 4?!
Old 2012-05-08, 11:53   Link #1932
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitok View Post
I'm seriously hoping that it's because Azusa is graduating and then the 4 will come back when Azusa attends their university.
One can only hope.
Old 2012-05-08, 14:06   Link #1933
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

i am also only hoping.
No matter what happens, wheather azusa joins them or not, the story of the four should not stop here
Old 2012-05-08, 16:07   Link #1934
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitok View Post
this news is causing havoc in the k-on fandom already. damn.

I'm seriously hoping that it's because Azusa is graduating and then the 4 will come back when Azusa attends their university. Seriously, what is going through kakifly-sensei's mind when he decides to stop the story for the main 4?!
The fear is that the fans get what essentially happened in Lucky*Star - the originals moved on and the focus stayed in high school -- in my view at least, it was somewhat of a lost opportunity and a disaster for the strip. People get attached to *characters* generally, especially in series where the characters and their interplay *are* the plot.

I do like the idea that perhaps we're refocusing the story on the "Fab Five" and the other characters will still be around (Jun and Ui at least).
Old 2012-05-09, 04:17   Link #1935
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well Azusa's group will graduate by the end of their school year. So if they push that forward, the author could get away with moving her from high school to university to join the others.

The plan to drop the university chapters might be misleading. It might be only to drop the manga from two magazines to just one (and less work each month). But if the story follows Azusa (and not just the club room theory where it will keep after Sumire and Nao for two more years) then the manga will naturally shift back to University with Azusa rejoining HTT...because it is kind of obvious that she want to.
This is quite an unexpected turn of an event. Now that Uni manga had its cut-off point, K-on manga has now effectively returned to what it used to be before the split. Although, I do expect this to happen eventually, but this is earlier than what I’ve anticipated. I’m sure fans of Uni manga are most likely piss off by the announcement. I kinda agree with what Ithekro said here. It’s about time for the author to finally decide whether to follow Azusa and the rest of the original casts to the university or remain in high school with Sumire and Nao. The best solution for us readers is continuing both, but I don’t think this is what the publisher wanted. This is going to be a tougher time for all of us. I am personally more incline to follow Azusa, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to miss Sumire and Nao. Whatever happens, we all have to wait and see.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 07:27   Link #1936
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

IMO, Nao and Sumire were merely background characters who were thrown in to complete the band line-up. They'll probably exit the club once Azusa and co graduate and find something else to do.

It would be nice if Kakifly then put Azusa in the college chapters and have her rejoin her former bandmates to complete HTT's line-up again.

However, I fear the Uni chapters simply weren't popular enough, or perhaps Kakifly got tired of making two separate manga and wants to merge the two together somehow.
Old 2012-05-09, 08:20   Link #1937
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
IMO, Nao and Sumire were merely background characters who were thrown in to complete the band line-up. They'll probably exit the club once Azusa and co graduate and find something else to do.
Now that makes me think a possible reason why Nao wasn't exposed so much compared to Sumire. When their seniors graduate, at least Sumire could be made to appear every now and then, giver her relationship with Mugi, while Nao isn't tied to anyone.

For the meantime, it's 9th May already, so might as well enjoy the currently released chapter and maybe we can predict how the uni manga will "end" after reading it.
Old 2012-05-09, 08:27   Link #1938
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
However, I fear the Uni chapters simply weren't popular enough, or perhaps Kakifly got tired of making two separate manga and wants to merge the two together somehow.
As it turns out, ANN may have been wrong to state that the High School chapters are to continue as that has not been confirmed by the publisher. As of now, it is uncertain if it's only the College storyline that's ending, or K-On! as a whole.
Old 2012-05-09, 17:59   Link #1939
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
As it turns out, ANN may have been wrong to state that the High School chapters are to continue as that has not been confirmed by the publisher. As of now, it is uncertain if it's only the College storyline that's ending, or K-On! as a whole.
Even if K-on *** for real how can you be sure it won't restart again?

I'm also looking forward to the next uni chapter.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 08:23   Link #1940
kaitok
Inspired Musician

Oh god if even the high school side were to end... I don't know what to think anymore. Obviously everyone is upset for the uni manga to end because of the main 4, no matter how crappy the plot is now. I gotta admit I enjoy the high school ones more than the uni but... but... THE MAIN FOUR!!! OTL

Now let's wait for Houkago Translation team for our last chapter... *cries*

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life