AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 91 41.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 77 35.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 14.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.91%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.45%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.45%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-29, 05:00   Link #281
Kezane

I'm an avid fan, and I've personally made it a point NOT to read the novels, just so I won't get spoiled and to get the full effect. Don't be intimidated but what's missing in between, have fun thinking for yourself what has happened, and enjoy the show brought to you by the ULTRA DIRECTOR.
Old 2006-04-29, 07:44   Link #282
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
Normal = boring
Thats exactly what makes this show so special for me. First that totally hilarious episode00; it was confusing at first, but I got the drift soon enough, then this jumbling of episodes. This show is so daring, so crazy, so risky... so... Haruhi!! Wonderful. It actually feels abit experimental to me, but thats probably because I haven been in this anime-watching business for long. Not that its a bad thing. This show is growing on me. Fast.
Old 2006-04-29, 10:26   Link #283
mangafanatic

From reading everyone's comments-- have I truthfully deduced that they'll fill in the space between episode two[three] and three[four]? I was hoping this wasn't just some crazy method for handling the fact that the show has only 13 episodes.
Old 2006-04-29, 10:33   Link #284
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Yeah, episode five seems to go back to where episode 3 left off ...

Though I wouldn't expect them to fill in ALL the blanks ... this show tries to remain vague/mysterious ..
Old 2006-04-29, 10:37   Link #285
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangafanatic
From reading everyone's comments-- have I truthfully deduced that they'll fill in the space between episode two[three] and three[four]? I was hoping this wasn't just some crazy method for handling the fact that the show has only 13 episodes.
I hope you are not another one of those people who are spreading retarded rumours that KyoAni cut short the episodes for Kanon?

Only people who have not even the most basic idea of how the Anime industry works, would even think it is possible.

(If you aren't one of those people, I apologize for insulting you. But if you are, I am happy to have insulted you. I have a grudge against people who spread groundless rumours.)
Old 2006-04-29, 11:43   Link #286
Lord Stone

I just love this anime. I think I'll need to get my hands on some other Haruhi material also... unfortunately I cannot read Japanese yet, or I'd definately be going after the novels.

Anyways... as for watching episodes in chronological order... I kinda expect that watching them like that will take away a lot of the unique experience this anime offers us. Just my $0.02.

I can't wait to see episode 5... the cliffhanger's still a cliffhanger, even after the revelations in episode 4.
Old 2006-04-29, 12:19   Link #287
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangafanatic
Let's see... you've seen episode 2... and episode 7. Also... it's not a 13 episode show... it's 14. Now we don't know how that 14 ep will be released, but I'm currently assuming it's going to be a standard TV aired episode. Honestly though, we won't know until KyoAni tells us... and someone is nice enough to translate it for us ^^;;

BTW... we really need a solid episode numbering system. Random people who read these threads are going to get confused eventually ^^;;

That leaves episode 3, 4, 5 and 6 to fill the spaces in between. Which according to the fluent novel readers should be the latter half of the first volume... The sounds to me like more than enough time to cover all the "skipped" events. I think people should have more faith in KyoAni. Sure, The FSN folks seems to be slowly trying to annoy the FSN fans, but KyoAni hasn't even started down that path yet.

[SARCASM]Oh noes... they skipped half the story at the last second because Kanon was suddenly announced. What was originally a 26 episode series is suddenly crammed down to 14. Noes... maybe the next episode will be 11, that way they have time to show us the important episodes from the end of the show?[/SARCASM]

Seriously... what's with all the people and their silly rumors than Kanon forced KyoAni to cut this show down to 14 episodes in the middle of the run? Does no one know anything about the Anime industry? The US TV industry works that way (rarely)... but this is a different country with a totally different industry.

Last edited by Adigard; 2006-04-29 at 12:31.
Old 2006-04-29, 14:25   Link #288
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The only way to number the episodes, in my opinion, is as they were aired. Anything else just adds complexity to complexity and would leave us even more confused than we already are. The actual order of events is something to be explained separately. This is how the raw file names are numbered in Japanese. Episode 1 was episode 1, not episode 00, which was a joke number for the movie-within-an-anime. I take my cue from that and go with the more straightforward Kyon numbering, not Haruhi's (crosses fingers and prays for forgiveness from the Haruhi).

I just realized that if they used kanji for Haruhi's given name (they use katakana), it would most likely be "spring sun". So in fact, she actually is an energy-source like the sun, as I joked in the ontology thread.

I also just remembered that ToHeart2, last year, similarly ran the episodes out of their chronological order, giving clues with dates written on the blackboard and other things.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-04-29, 14:32   Link #289
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
Random people who read these threads are going to get confused eventually ^^;;
Besides the little number in the title of the thread... I have almost no idea what ep this is...

Since we're on the subject... what ep is ep00... ep13... or could it be ep 14 start with the OVA
Old 2006-04-29, 15:23   Link #290
Lord Stone

Does anyone have any idea what the chronological episode number for episode one would be? We know where to place the rest of the episodes (it's not all that confusing yet even), but episode one could be anywhere before or after episode 4 (7) (I'm guessing after)
Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-29, 15:56   Link #291
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stone
Does anyone have any idea what the chronological episode number for episode one would be? We know where to place the rest of the episodes (it's not all that confusing yet even), but episode one could be anywhere before or after episode 4 (7) (I'm guessing after)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-29, 16:11   Link #292
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavarock
Spoiler:
That's... not possible.

The movie in ep00(1) features a character who isn't introduced until ep7(4). Also, I believe (could be wrong, I can't read that silly moon language) the events in volume 2 occur after the events in volume 3.
Old 2006-04-29, 16:19   Link #293
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
That's... not possible.

The movie in ep00(1) features a character who isn't introduced until ep7(4). Also, I believe (could be wrong, I can't read that silly moon language) the events in volume 2 occur after the events in volume 3.
Ya, you are right, I just finished reading volume 3 and there is no "that character" in it. I know story wise volume 3 follows right after volume 1. There is a post that can tell me where volume 2 lies exactly somewhere on this forum...
Old 2006-04-30, 13:41   Link #294
mangafanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
I hope you are not another one of those people who are spreading retarded rumours that KyoAni cut short the episodes for Kanon?

Only people who have not even the most basic idea of how the Anime industry works, would even think it is possible.

(If you aren't one of those people, I apologize for insulting you. But if you are, I am happy to have insulted you. I have a grudge against people who spread groundless rumours.)
I accept your apology, in light of the fact that I was in no part responsible for the aforementioned rumors. I have only cried many tears, thinking the show was going to skip huge chunks of story line and attempt to explain things with poorly devised conversations. I'm thrilled to hear that such is not the case.
Old 2006-05-01, 07:06   Link #295
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Actually I watched this episode quite a few days ago. I gave 9. Because I don't like to give ten so easily (until now I gave 10 to episode 2, and 9 to the the others).
Let's say that the show kept its usual pace, and didn't lost its path even if temporarily deviating by the main story of the Melancholy.
Probably I decided for a - 1 because of the baseball. It's a very unpopular sport in my country (maybe it'd be more fair to say "unknown") and thus I don't have a clue about the rules, except that there are homeruns and innings. If it was football (aka soccer - which on the contrary is "the sport" in my country) it probably would have been more enjoyable to me.
Even so, the characters were so peculiar in playing, and the gags were just so previous episodes alike that I couldn't help but to highly enjoy this episode too

Remarkable the fact of giving out episodes in random order, causing moment of "wtf" ? .. well I like that , it's for the sake of being original so thumbs up. I love the way when in the preview Kyon corrects Haruhi by saying that super high-pitched "chigau!!!!!" (wrong) , that made me laugh quite a lot

Props for the ED theme, probably my #1 hit for year 2006. Looking forward for May 10th, day of single release
Old 2006-05-01, 07:41   Link #296
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Just caught up with this anime... So this comment won't be about ep4 only.

Ep1. First reaction, wtf is this? An amateur movie made by the anime characters, lasting an entire episode no less. Fortunately, the narration made it funny.
Ep2. Finally, a normal start and introduction. A rundown of Haruhi's quirks, which were funny in their own right. After seeing episode 4 I realize that the reseating coincidence probably wasn't a coincidence at all, just like the batting order thing.
Ep3. The blackmail incident was hilarious, especially the *beep* comment. Good cliffhanger at the end, but...
Ep4. Well what do you know, Haruhi wasn't kidding when she said episode 7 in the preview, there's a huge timeskip. Which leaves ep3's cliffhanger still up in the air, somewhat, since we do find out alot more except not in a logical order. After seeing this last episode the first one (the so-called "ep00") takes on a different meaning aswell. Seems that the characters were mostly playing a reflection of themselves in that amateur movie (Asahina is from the future, Yuki is an alien magician), and best of all Kyon was the narrator in it just like in the anime itself. Well, it seems Haruhi has the power to destroy the world if she's in a bad mood. Interesting. And the rest of the SOS Brigade seems to know, only Haruhi herself doesn't. Oh boy.

It's weird, it's funny, Kyon rules. I like it.
Old 2006-05-01, 07:50   Link #297
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Haha, throughout the whole of the episode I was wondering how Goro and Toshi of Major fame would fair against Haruhi =D
Old 2006-05-01, 08:54   Link #298
justsomeguy

Is it just me, or has the rotating legs thing in the OP been fixed? The animation definitely looks different.
Old 2006-05-01, 08:57   Link #299
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
Is it just me, or has the rotating legs thing in the OP been fixed? The animation definitely looks different.
Yes, it has been fixed.
Old 2006-05-01, 09:21   Link #300
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
what rotating leg?