AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-22, 20:48   Link #1661
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Oh, look. We're at the segment where the candidates have to suck up and grovel to Israel...great.
I wish they could focus about how the US would react if Japan is attacked considering how the media went wild about the Senkaku Islands dispute. Talking about Israel is getting old indeed.
Old 2012-10-22, 20:53   Link #1662
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

I am disgusted and horrified that after Romney has spent half the debate praising Israel, he compares Iran to Apartheid SA:

Disgusting!
Old 2012-10-22, 20:58   Link #1663
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I wish they could focus about how the US would react if Japan is attacked considering how the media went wild about the Senkaku Islands dispute. Talking about Israel is getting old indeed.
This might be helpful reading.
Old 2012-10-22, 21:03   Link #1664
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I do sympathize with KiraYamatoFan that "foreign policy" does not equal talking about Israel the entire debate. Frankly, discussions like that in the US bring the "end time" loons out of the closet.
Old 2012-10-22, 21:03   Link #1665
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I only brought up that point because I feel that they keep on bringing Israel in every single election, and this is getting old. So far, no one ever asked the question about Japan and having China as a potential foe ahead. People (I mean those who might not follow forums with an open view on Japan like this one) need to know the same information about Japan, knowing how North Korea and China are in a position to create trouble in the region.
Old 2012-10-22, 21:05   Link #1666
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've always liked Bob Schieffer. He gets stern and angry when the situation calls for it. This is the guy who should be anchoring CBS news rather than the "pretty faces" they keep going to.
Old 2012-10-22, 21:15   Link #1667
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

In any case, Politifact is keeping a real time track on the candidates' statements.

Let's count the false and pants on fire statements. It'll be just like football.

Kira: They're about to talk about China...or so the moderator is trying to make them.
Old 2012-10-22, 21:17   Link #1668
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

It's not the government who makes the economy successful... No, really?

edit: about China, they still keep it on the economics level... which is not anything new to me. It's not as if they said what would be to expect of a response with China's military ambitions.
Old 2012-10-22, 21:27   Link #1669
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Yeah...China...

They're back to Detroit.

Sorry, Kira.

By the way, I thought the car reviewers thought the Tesla Model S kicks all sorts of butt.
Old 2012-10-22, 21:31   Link #1670
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Yeah...China...

They're back to Detroit.

Sorry, Kira.

By the way, I thought the car reviewers thought the Tesla Model S kicks all sorts of butt.
*pats shoulder*

As I said, they keep on bringing the economics part whenever the word "China" comes on the table. It's not only about economics; the media brought to our attention the military ambitions in China since all those territorial disputes came up. Have we forgotten how far the PRC were willing to go in the mid-1990s? I doubt it has changed since.
Old 2012-10-22, 21:44   Link #1671
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
*pats shoulder*

As I said, they keep on bringing the economics part whenever the word "China" comes on the table. It's not only about economics; the media brought to our attention the military ambitions in China since all those territorial disputes came up. Have we forgotten how far the PRC were willing to go in the mid-1990s? I doubt it has changed since.
Right now it is all about economics, and with their economic strength they have the power to control issues without forcing it using military and such.
Old 2012-10-22, 21:44   Link #1672
james0246

Strange debate. Romney came out swinging but quickly floundered (or at least made a strategic stand to have opinions similar to Obama's). Still, I was surprised at how little was actually covered in this debate. No real mention of the EUs problems, no mention of South America or most of Africa. Instead we got much on Isreal, Muslims and some little bit about China.

Still, they were both fairly effective. Obama had a better resonance on the majority of the issues, but that could have been a strategic move on Romney's part to not distance himself from many of Obama's policies (to get support by Independents). Still, Romney managed to throws some good attacks even if he threw much of his former stances out the window.
Old 2012-10-22, 21:48   Link #1673
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

I am happy to know that I live in the "hope of the Earth". All you other people are missing out.
Old 2012-10-22, 21:49   Link #1674
Xion Valkyrie

Of course someone who flips flops on everything can say things to make himself look good.
Old 2012-10-22, 21:50   Link #1675
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
*yawn* -Snip-
I don't disagree with almost all your points .. I'd just like to remind you that angry mobs generally don't care about "facts" (in quotations cause that's probably how some people might see it) when they're preparing to lynch you

PS: I'm also not saying you should "lower yourself" to their level. But sometimes it makes sense to look out the window to make sure you're not living in an ivory tower.

Debates: I thought Romney thinks he's in the lead. He's trying to act "Presidential" and not "stoop" to mud-slinging. Overall he was downright charming compared to how he's been on the campaign.. But boy, Obama's closing remarks reminds me of 4 years ago. Where has he been? Oh, and smooth move by Romney on bipartisanship, the commentators are all saying "Women voters!" simultaneously. And Obama is declared winner! By almost the same margin that Romney won debate 1
Old 2012-10-22, 21:57   Link #1676
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8
I am happy to know that I live in the "hope of the Earth". All you other people are missing out.
Bitch please, I love teachers more than you do.

Quote:
The American people doesn't care about that.

To be fair, the American government (as in, the foreign policy establishment in Washington) doesn't want to talk about that too much either. The consensus is to play the supporter for various other nations distrustful of China rather than an aggressive military realignment that would provoke a tension-filled arms race. The currency manipulator/trade war talk spooks the PRC enough on its own.

I *am* curious about the stances of the Presidential candidates -- assuming there is a stance that won't be flipped tomorrow -- on the Eurozone crisis, the Syrian crisis, and other immediate points. But I wasn't expecting, so whatevar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246
Still, Romney managed to throws some good attacks even if he threw much of his former stances out the window.
The bolded part is kind of a...problem...

...oh, I give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx
PS: I'm also not saying you should "lower yourself" to their level. But sometimes it makes sense to look out the window to make sure you're not living in an ivory tower.
Don't worry about that. I know reddit isn't giving me fair and balanced (r/politics burning right now with anti-Romney headlines over half the page), and I'm aware of the problems with the Michael Moore-types. There's at least always some guy fact-checking and giving the contrary in r/politics threads though, so there. They even get upvoted a lot.
Old 2012-10-22, 22:14   Link #1677
Rickketik

Israel got out of the bed, put back on it's pants and is enjoying a good smoke.. As you do after a good ****!
Old 2012-10-22, 22:31   Link #1678
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I only brought up that point because I feel that they keep on bringing Israel in every single election, and this is getting old. So far, no one ever asked the question about Japan and having China as a potential foe ahead. People (I mean those who might not follow forums with an open view on Japan like this one) need to know the same information about Japan, knowing how North Korea and China are in a position to create trouble in the region.
Elections are rarely about issues, they are about pandering. NK really isn't in much of a position to do anything, and China's economy is far too dependent on the US to risk an intentional attack. Basically, everything you just heard tonight was nothing more than saber rattling, and as you point out, not much of it was new.

In regards to the debate itself, and reflecting on the entire election season, I'm reminded greatly of a recent TED talk about the dangerous asymmetry right now between the global components of the world and the ability of individual governments to handle them. The US has a very wide reach, but it isn't all powerful, and there is a lot that is ultimately out of their hands. It's almost a perfect analogy of the role of the President.

I'm looking forward to the third party debate tomorrow. Too bad it won't be broadcast by any American media.
Old 2012-10-22, 23:11   Link #1679
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Strange debate. Romney came out swinging but quickly floundered (or at least made a strategic stand to have opinions similar to Obama's). Still, I was surprised at how little was actually covered in this debate. No real mention of the EUs problems, no mention of South America or most of Africa. Instead we got much on Isreal, Muslims and some little bit about China.

Still, they were both fairly effective. Obama had a better resonance on the majority of the issues, but that could have been a strategic move on Romney's part to not distance himself from many of Obama's policies (to get support by Independents). Still, Romney managed to throws some good attacks even if he threw much of his former stances out the window.
I agree James, and I'll add that after watching this debate my belief that these men will push for near identical foreign policies is now solidified.
Sadly, I think that it doesn't matter whether Mitt or Barrack win, we're going to war with Iran.
Old 2012-10-22, 23:36   Link #1680
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I agree James, and I'll add that after watching this debate my belief that these men will push for near identical foreign policies is now solidified.
Sadly, I think that it doesn't matter whether Mitt or Barrack win, we're going to war with Iran.
A reason would have to be invented first, both candidates are now on the hook for these statements, and I seriously doubt the media is keen to repeat the rabid warmongering they displayed during the ramp up to Iraq.

Remember this?:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?