AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-05-12, 11:15   Link #1221
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Reverse the genders and look at it from that perspective. It will probably help erase the "Beauty Can Do No Wrong" bias.

Cheers.
... It just occurred to me that if you genderbent Hyou-Ka, the male Eru would seem a bit creepy and stalkerish.
Old 2012-05-12, 11:41   Link #1222
novalysis

The Genderbending of Hyou-ka.....

Yes, I think I can see where this is going.

Male Eru would certainly be reviled as a Stalkerish, overly-rich, spoiled brat who demands the attention of poor, harassed, introverted Female Houtaro, who would be a more snarkier , unique take of the same character archetype popularized by Rei Ayanami, and reinforced in recent times by Yuki Nagato. Genderbend Houtaro at his most apathetic, and imagine a dead-pan, quiet voice, and you'd get a similar character. Haters of this show would then be tarring Hotarou as Yuki Nagato boring Expy 99245 instead of Generic Harem protagonist 33563.

And Doujin authors would be hard at work exaggerating and sexualizing those tendencies to their logical conclusion.

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-05-13 at 05:05.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 11:45   Link #1223
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
... It just occurred to me that if you genderbent Hyou-Ka, the male Eru would seem a bit creepy and stalkerish.
Just great, image of how the ending song would be like just flashed into my mind.

Quick Edit: Made it since I was pretty bored

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 20:24   Link #1224
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post

Male Eru would certainly be reviled as a Stalkerish, overly-rich, spoiled brat who demands the attention of poor, harassed, introverted Female Houtaro, who would be a more snarkier , unique take of the same character archetype popularized by Rei Ayanami, and reinforced in recent times by Yuki Nagato. Genderbend Houtaro at his most apathetic, and imagine a dead-pan, quiet voice, and you'd get a similar character. Haters of this show would then be tarring Hotarou as Yuki Nagato boring Expy 99245 instead of Generic Harem protagonist 33563.

And Doujin authors would be hard at work exaggerating and sexualizing those tendencies to their logical conclusion.
...you just had to say it.

Now we're "forced" to entertain your argument and enter into a new fanbase much like the Haruhi ones. XD
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 21:26   Link #1225
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post

Oh God, it begins. I'll see you all on page 498 of the Oreko fanart thread.

I love reading about how the ways in which Houtaro and Eru process information are in perfect opposition to one another, but in practice are complimentary. It's actually a really obvious dynamic in hindsight.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 12:13   Link #1226
rulfo

Spoiler for episode 4:

Next up, Gatoh + Kigami + Horiguchi combo. I'm very interested how this arc's closure will be handled.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-05-13 at 13:24.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 12:22   Link #1227
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
If you gender-bent Chitanda, you'd just get Haru from Tsuritama. And I like Haru.

And if you gender-bent Houtaro and gave him glasses, you would get Daria from...Daria. And I love Daria.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 13:02   Link #1228
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
You mean she doesn't feel like that already?
Old 2012-05-13, 13:22   Link #1229
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You mean she doesn't feel like that already?
I'll admit that I, probably like a fair number of guys, can fall a bit into the "Beauty Can Do No Wrong" trap. And Eru is very beautiful.

Creepy + Beautiful = Eccentric (a more neutral term)

Stalkerish + Beautiful = "Dude, why are you not responding better to her?! She shouldn't have to chase after you in the first place!"
Old 2012-05-13, 18:46   Link #1230
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Interesting theory by Houtarou once again. I doubt that will satisfy Chitanda givin her last line.
Old 2012-05-13, 21:02   Link #1231
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I think this was my least favorite episode so far. Not enough snarky comments from Houtarou.
Old 2012-05-13, 21:12   Link #1232
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Interesting theory by Houtarou once again. I doubt that will satisfy Chitanda givin her last line.
Spoiler for Ep4:
Old 2012-05-13, 21:39   Link #1233
Eater of All
NOM

My conspiracy theory of the day is that Houtarou deliberately withheld the truth from Chitanda. What Houtarou presented was pretty much just connecting everyone's research into one story. Too anticlimatic. Also, the way that preview focuses on Houtarou is really screaming that he has more to say.

Not that I can even guess what the truth might be.
Old 2012-05-13, 22:29   Link #1234
Qilin
Romanticist

I can imagine experiencing episode 4 in the light novel format instead of the anime, and I can guess that it would be somewhat dry.

Spoiler for episode 4:
Old 2012-05-13, 22:36   Link #1235
Dr. Casey

Damn, this series is definitely picking up. I loved the mental workout this episode gave me (The mystery aspect is something that Hyou-ka's done very well, to the point where even the laughably mundane mysteries of the first two episodes interested me), and I really like the group dynamics between the leading four. The series might have started off low-key (I actually found the first episode boring, though I enjoyed the second and third), but I can tell that it's going to transform and blossom into a really nice story.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 22:37   Link #1236
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
My conspiracy theory of the day is that Houtarou deliberately withheld the truth from Chitanda. What Houtarou presented was pretty much just connecting everyone's research into one story. Too anticlimatic. Also, the way that preview focuses on Houtarou is really screaming that he has more to say.

You have a good theory there. It wouldn't be the first time that Houtarou hasn't told the whole truth after all. He also mentioned at the start that he doesn't want to have to take responsibility for whatever they learn affecting Chitanda's life. Could easily see Satoshi pausing their trip home to ask what Houtarou really thought about what happened.

Either way I'm curious to find out just what really happened and how this is all going to turn out.
Old 2012-05-13, 23:14   Link #1237
LC
Shocking Pink

Great episode as always. The stylistic touches make it stand out. I sorta wish that the girls were more correct in their "theories" compared to the boys though, especially Eru, since we already know of her intelligence.
Old 2012-05-13, 23:21   Link #1238
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

My God, it's beautiful. No detail is too small - it's breathtaking to see.

As for the show, I thought this was a very good episode. The girls are gorgeous but still fairly boring, but Fukude is an interesting character - especially his speech on the bikes at the start of the episode. It really does sound like a statement of defiance for his lifestyle, disguised as something else - and a rather dignified and well-stated one too.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 23:27   Link #1239
rulfo

@Qilin

I never imagined it would be a wall of text fest in this ep. Horray for presentation.
A good direction nonetheless for handling this part of the story.

On a side note Oreki was pretty cool in the toilet. Man that sounds kinda wrong.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 23:28   Link #1240
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

I've never really been one for posting theories (or posting at all.) But I have a hard time turning down a good mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post

Yeah, I have to agree, seems like Houtarou was withholding information, both the preview and Chitanda's words at the end make it obvious there's more to it then that.

Let's break it down like Houtarou would shall we?

Facts

1: Chitanda said her uncle would tell her everything, anything she asked about he would tell her. Yet for some reason he refused to tell her about this incident. But being as stubborn Chitanda is she kept pushing untill she got an answer.

Why would her uncle refuse to tell her about this incident? What could have happened that he'd be stubborn about not talking about?

2: Chitanda's reaction to being told what happened. She cried, she kept crying, and her uncle didnt try to console her.

What could Chitanda have been told that would cause her to react like this? Why wouldnt her uncle try to console her at all? But most importantly, why would she want to forget something so important?

Putting these pieces of information together with the conclusion Houtarou came to (assuming he's witholding info from Chitanda,) The most likely truth I can come to is.....

Spoiler for My Conclusion:

I'd put more down but I lack information and time to do so, as it is past midnight here.

Feel free to tear this theory apart btw.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life