AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-19, 00:59   Link #301
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Such an amazing show. I don't know why I'm drawn to such seemingly normal shows like this and stuff like Nichijou, they just hit the right spot for me as far as anime goes.

Anyone know how many eipisodes this is gonna be?
48+ episodes.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 09:48   Link #302
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
48+ episodes.
Woah, really? I thought it was just gonna be 24 at the most, that's awesome. I assume it's just gonna roll on through the summer, fall and winter seasons with no gaps?
Old 2012-06-19, 17:24   Link #303
leokiko

Quote:
Woah, really? I thought it was just gonna be 24 at the most, that's awesome. I assume it's just gonna roll on through the summer, fall and winter seasons with no gaps?
Most likely, yea.
Old 2012-06-19, 21:39   Link #304
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Well it breaks down to twelve eps per thirteen week season, so I expect an occasional gap, probably at the end of the season (I'd bet there's no episode on the 30th of this month).
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 23:02   Link #305
leokiko

Mutta was pretty cool on this episode. He really does believe on his younger brother, doesn't he?
Old 2012-06-24, 05:26   Link #306
OPN

Most awesomest cameo voice ever. Oh and mutta was cool too .
OPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 08:22   Link #307
ookamigirl

Mutta's version of running math was a total failure LOL
They sure gave them some weird tasks to do.
The ants analogy was interesting and the flashback was nice.
Mutta had a nice point there in the final task.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 08:40   Link #308
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Good episode...

...but I still feel like India are wasting their money.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 09:01   Link #309
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPN View Post
Most awesomest cameo voice ever. Oh and mutta was cool too .
You mean Noguchi Soichi? There's even an entry mentioning this appearance on that Wiki page! He's got quite a strong voice. Maybe he should consider a career as a seiyuu if he ever leaves JAXA.

I thought about using the Mutta-as-an-ant images for this week's installment of my Mutta avatar series, but I just don't find ants very appealing even with Mutta's silly face attached!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Good episode...

...but I still feel like India are wasting their money.
I find most attempts to rationalize sending humans into space unconvincing. Satellites and robot spacecraft are typically far better at gathering information than human observers would be. I subscribe to the more romanticized view, that it's our destiny as a species to explore the cosmos because that's what humans do. Maybe we'll discover ways to mine rare earths on asteroids, but mere economic rationales are uninspring. I doubt any of the characters in this show want to go into space for reasons like that.

Will arguments like these convince that journalist or the taxpayers in space-faring nations? Probably not. I do know that, while Kennedy's decision to go to the moon before the end of the 1960's primarily reflected military and political motives, there were a lot of people who found the whole notion thrilling. Walter Cronkite was just their most public representative.

I bet Nixon ego was thrilled to refer to that phone call as the "most historic ever made from the White House." He liked to think himself as an historic figure.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-06-24 at 13:30.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 11:26   Link #310
OPN

@seiji yep the sheer fact they got a actual astronaut to voice one of the characters is great .
Old 2012-06-24, 13:08   Link #311
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

People like the news anchor in this episode have the upper hand, and they’re not just news anchors – they’re the ones holding the purse strings in government. The premise of the episode is JAXA shrewdly trying to use the candidates as a PR device to make a counter-argument, but the reality here in the mangaka making the case himself.

Mutta is right – you can’t make a person who doesn’t have vision see the big picture, and it’s pointless to try. Sadly, we don’t have the luxury of looking forward to the romance of a first anybody on the moon – or anybody at all on the moon – to persuade the public. What comes across in Uchuu Kyoudai is the passion the author has for the nobility of space flight, and passion is central to this whole argument – you can’t understand the pull of manned space travel without feeling the passion behind it. But again, that’s a hard case to make to someone without that passion.

The argument for Mutta as an astronaut is like the argument for manned space flight itself – it can’t be made using numbers and statistics alone. It’s about vision and passion, and this is something that Hoshika-san understands implicitly, and why he keeps pushing for Mutta even when he can’t quantify the reasons for it. His argument for Mutta’s selection was telling – “Of course we should use our emotions in choosing the candidates. Otherwise, why not let computers make the selection?” Why not indeed – and why not let unmanned craft do the exploration? On paper it makes sense, but that’s where vision and passion play into the equation. And more and more it’s becoming obvious that Nasuda is an oddball himself, an individual with his own skewed way of looking at the universe. And for Onii-chan, that can only be a good thing.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2012-06-24 at 13:19.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 13:39   Link #312
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
And more and more it’s becoming obvious that Nasuda is an oddball himself, an individual with his own skewed way of looking at the universe. And for Onii-chan, that can only be a good thing.
"Odd-ball" is a generous term to apply to Nasuda. I agree he's likely to appreciate Mutta, though.

So how are the candidates doing in their quests to advance? Only two per group, right, plus any "odd-ball" selections the powers that be choose to make? I'm guessing Serika and the tall guy advance from their group, with Mutta once again the odd-ball choice. I can't imagine being shut up in a space craft with chimp boy, and the nice old fella will get a nice pat on the back.

I'd prefer to see Mutta be one of two electees so it doesn't always look like he's advancing because of his connection to Hibito. The way the story has gone so far, though, Mutta will again advance because of his vision and passion, as Enzo so eloquently describes.

I can't tell as much about Keiji's group; other than him and Mr. Rubik's Cube, they're all largely non-entities. Maybe the woman will advance to give Serika a friend? She'd need a bit of a character infusion for that to happen.

I'm pretty good at mental arithmetic, but I couldn't keep up with some of those problems they posed to Mutta. I mean, really, 86 x 156? And while running?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-06-24 at 13:56.
Old 2012-06-24, 19:11   Link #313
Dop
Mmmm....

Getting an actual astronaut to voice himself was just genius.

As for the letter... Well, I've always been a spaceflight nerd. I'm old enough to have stayed up late with the rest of the family to watch that historic moment when men set foot on the moon for the first time. but before that I remember Jim Lovell & co reading the bible from lunar orbit on Apollo 8.
I got into trouble at school for correcting the teacher on the actual words used by mission control at liftoff. Like I said, spaceflight nerd...!

I'm also old enough to have believed when I was younger that by the 21st century the moon would be a holiday destination, and that man would have set foot on mars by the eighties, nineties at the latest.

And yes, unmanned probes have shown us a hell of a lot. Voyager, launched in the seventies, is still out there, still doing good science, and about to be come the first man made object to enter interstellar space. That's bloody amazing, and i don't think the engineers who built that could have believed in their wildest dreams how well the craft would perform.
Mars rover Opportunity has vastly outlasted its expected mission life and has returned marvellous information about the surface of Mars.
Cassini has expanded our knowledge about the moons of Saturn, and so on.

But I still want to see someone standing on the surface of Mars, in my lifetime. I'd expected this to happen some time ago, and certainly if the USA had spent nearly as much money on NASA as they'd spent on making wars on other people, this could have happened decades ago.

But moving back on topic, yeah, I'm with Mutta. You get it or you don't, and trying to explain to people who don't get it is an uphill task.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 01:04   Link #314
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i think Mu-chan should needs to upgrade his dark ages air abascus with a modern electronic one, hope the batteries wont wore off during in critical situation conditions though, hell, Mu-chan's imagination projections are so damn realistic that it puts Modern Warfare 3 engines to shame
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 02:08   Link #315
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Oh my...! How good was episode 13? I was easily moved!

The episode resonated even more just because I watched episodes 11-13 all at once. One of the biggest break through in space travel might have been to have NASA out of the ways of the private companies. Time will tell. That said, I would definitely like to experience outer space at least once in my lifetime. Btw, the Chinese just completed the manual-docking maneuver. If we take away the politics for a moment, these are exciting times for space exploration. The timing of this show just could not have been any better.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 14:05   Link #316
butahill
Inactive Member

I am loving this series more and more!
butahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 15:18   Link #317
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finally caught up~

Only 16 pages? This show needs more love! I'm seriously amazed at how good it is. Everything about it strikes my fancy. This is exactly the kind of anime I love. A strong main character, very interesting secondary character, fantastic humor, light-hearted mood but with subtle and touching scenes here and there (I love the flashback to Mutta's childhood), SPACE, etc...

I'm glad to learn this will be 48 episodes long. If they maintain that quality, this will be my favorite anime of the year for sure.

As for the most recent episode, it was great as usual. Mutta's air abacus cracked me up so much... it failed because it was too realistic
I loved the ant analogy. Is it perhaps something Mr.Noguchi actually said in real life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm pretty good at mental arithmetic, but I couldn't keep up with some of those problems they posed to Mutta. I mean, really, 86 x 156? And while running?
I found them ridiculously hard, but then again, I've never been very good at mental calculation.
Old 2012-06-29, 18:53   Link #318
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I found them ridiculously hard, but then again, I've never been very good at mental calculation.
There are some tricks you can use, but 86 x 156 is still hard. You can round up to 90 X 160 and get 14,400, then you have to subtract (86+156) x 4 (968) and also 4 X 4 or 16. That gives you 14,400-984 leaving you with 13,416. [We're expanding the polynomial (x+4)(y+4) which is xy + 4*(x+y) + 16. We subtract off the excess to get xy.] Is that easier? Tough to say? I find having to carry in mental multiplication a pain so I try avoiding it with tricks like this.
Old 2012-06-30, 03:50   Link #319
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I think it's a little easier this way, but it's still pretty complicated. I'd never be able to come up with the answer in a matter of seconds like they did on the show (and while running too).

Thank god for calculators.
Old 2012-06-30, 09:02   Link #320
Aesthetic Shampoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
There are some tricks you can use, but 86 x 156 is still hard. You can round up to 90 X 160 and get 14,400, then you have to subtract (86+156) x 4 (968) and also 4 X 4 or 16. That gives you 14,400-984 leaving you with 13,416. [We're expanding the polynomial (x+4)(y+4) which is xy + 4*(x+y) + 16. We subtract off the excess to get xy.] Is that easier? Tough to say? I find having to carry in mental multiplication a pain so I try avoiding it with tricks like this.
Oh yeah, that makes it sound so much easier

My foolish self actually thought it would be fun to try when i heard what they were going to do, but i think we all know what happened there
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen