AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Old 2007-04-24, 21:39   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

This thread is for those of you with questions about the sola anime or manga. Please keep discussion about episodes in the relevant threads, the purpose of this thread is to ask questions that can actually be answered by facts from the anime or manga.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the anime, manga, or any non-anime source. Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags, as shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how Ojisan creates spoiler tags.
or
The macho way: By using those uber vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title, i.e. your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 01:32   Link #2
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

This thread needs some posts! So I'll drum up a generic "What is sola" info session to get things started. Credit for this information goes to the Wikipedia article. Should you choose to read it, beware of possible spoilers.

Q: What is Sola?

A: Sola is a short anime series that began airing in Japan on April 7th, 2007. The anime is an adaptation of a series that was first published in the Japanese manga magazine Dengeki Daioh on January 20th, 2007. There is a Playstation 2 game in the works as well as a drama cd.

Q: What is Sola about?

A: Sola is the story of a boy named Yorito Morimiya, who loves to take pictures of the sky. While trying to capture a picture of the sun rising, he runs into a mysterious young girl named Matsuri Shiho. She has never seen the sky, and is very curious about it. She is being chased by a man with a sword named Takeshi and while trying to run from him runs into Yorito who helps her escape and offers her a place to stay at his home. It is then that he learns that Matsuri is not an ordinary girl, in fact, she's not even human.

Q: How many episodes is Sola?

A: Sola is scheduled for thirteen episodes.

Q: What does Sola mean anyway?

A: The name is a romanizing of the word Sora, which means sky. In Italian and Spanish, the word Sola also means "alone", suggesting a double meaning to the title.

Q: This show reminds me of another show, who created it?

A: The series was originally concieved by Naoki Hisaya, the main writer of Kanon, and the characters were designed by Naru Nanao, the designer of Da Capo.

That should be good for now. If anyone would like to add to this, or has questions about the show in general, feel free to help keep this going. =) Remember to use spoiler tags for any questions or answers relating to specific plot details.

Last edited by Solace; 2007-05-04 at 12:38. Reason: Updated information. And waffles. Mmmm, waffles.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 10:43   Link #3
Souten no Seigyoku
The Anti-Moron

What genre is this show?
Romance?

Join The Naruto Online Multiplayer Game Naruto-Arena.com

omai wa yowai....naze yowai ka? tarinai kara da nikushimiga
Souten no Seigyoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 10:50   Link #4
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souten no Seigyoku View Post
What genre is this show?
Romance?
Romance/Mystery(?)/Drama. Not that much of a drama at the moment, but that is expected to change with time.
Old 2007-05-04, 11:50   Link #5
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankoku View Post
Q: How many episodes is Sola?

A: Sola is scheduled for twelve episodes.
It is scheduled for 13, actually ^^

Quote:
Q: What does Sola mean anyway?

A: The name is a romanizing of the word Sora, which means sky.
I also would like to remind how "sola" also means "alone" (referring to a female subject) in italian and spanish language
We can't tell yet, but I think that the name of the series comes from a mixture of the two meanings.
Old 2007-05-04, 12:32   Link #6
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Gah, blame the Wiki!

I had totally forgotten about the italian/spanish meaning, please be gentle.

Edit to fix the QA inc!
Old 2007-05-04, 14:58   Link #7
Souten no Seigyoku
The Anti-Moron

Whose the girls voice actress?

It sounds like Mamiko Noto the voice actress for Yakumo Tsukamoto from School Rumble Enma Ai (Jikogu Shoujo), and Witchblade.

Join The Naruto Online Multiplayer Game Naruto-Arena.com

omai wa yowai....naze yowai ka? tarinai kara da nikushimiga
Souten no Seigyoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 15:07   Link #8
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I assume by "the Girl" you mean Matsuri. Her VA is indeed Mamiko Noto. And we have a Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion thread for Sola - visit there for more info/discussion on the subject
Old 2007-06-06, 01:43   Link #9
vaizard_ruler
Lucky☆Star Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to vaizard_ruler Send a message via MSN to vaizard_ruler Send a message via Yahoo to vaizard_ruler
Does this show have any comedy in it what so ever and is it still scheduled for 13 ep as well?
vaizard_ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 01:55   Link #10
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Comedy Quotient is extremely low. It has a lot of drama, romance and angst. However there are a few funny moments, so I can say that it does have some "comedy in it what so ever." But not much.

As for the series length... There are going to be 13 episodes released on TV and then 2 more DVD-only episodes. That's a total of 15 episodes.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 18:58   Link #11
Noyemi K
PC-8801 Fetishist
*Artist

Will it be released in the U.S.?
Noyemi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 23:48   Link #12
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail Faulken View Post
Will it be released in the U.S.?
Only time will tell on that one. No plans have been announced, but it is being published by Bandai Visual, so if they sense the market's there, they (or Bandai Entertainment) could easily bring it over. If you want my guess, I'm not expecting it to be released in the U.S. anytime soon, but you never know.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 01:24   Link #13
FreedomMS
Sola FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Only time will tell on that one. No plans have been announced, but it is being published by Bandai Visual, so if they sense the market's there, they (or Bandai Entertainment) could easily bring it over. If you want my guess, I'm not expecting it to be released in the U.S. anytime soon, but you never know.
i realy hope the U.S don give bad va to Matsuri and Aono
FreedomMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 23:43   Link #14
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Ano~ I don't know if this is the right thread (or if this question has been asked before) but I have been wondering about this for a while:

Do Yakas grow up?? Because Matsuri and Aono seemed like they grew up (really slowly considering how long they have been living), but Mayuko seems like she did not grow up at all How does that work???
Old 2007-07-06, 18:38   Link #15
NibelungTaisa
freshly noob

what is the "lesson" that is embedded within Sola? As with most anime, a lesson is embedded, such as be careful what you wish for, or magic doesn't bring happiness, etc. So what could Sola's be?
NibelungTaisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 11:09   Link #16
kev8888
never too old

Quote:
Originally Posted by NibelungTaisa View Post
what is the "lesson" that is embedded within Sola? As with most anime, a lesson is embedded, such as be careful what you wish for, or magic doesn't bring happiness, etc. So what could Sola's be?
we all want to know the truth, but it isn't always something that we can handle...
kev8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 23:03   Link #17
Tran225

Spoiler for sola:
Tran225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 00:01   Link #18
Zanejin
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran225 View Post
Spoiler for sola:
The way that the cave scenes showed it, it would seem to be the former.
Old 2008-01-24, 21:45   Link #19
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Rating

What rating would yall give this show (i run a facebook group that does reviews and I was curious what yall think)

there isnt really fanservice much? but violence is there, i'd say 13+. it's not really ecchi either

also: the dvd's.....any news on the dvds, and if/when their going to come out. i figure someone would pick up the license......since it was #1 anime in japan for 2007 correct?

Last edited by MercFH; 2008-01-25 at 01:09.
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 05:00   Link #20
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH View Post
What rating would yall give this show (i run a facebook group that does reviews and I was curious what yall think)

there isnt really fanservice much? but violence is there, i'd say 13+. it's not really ecchi either

also: the dvd's.....any news on the dvds, and if/when their going to come out. i figure someone would pick up the license......since it was #1 anime in japan for 2007 correct?
From the first post of this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
the purpose of this thread is to ask questions that can actually be answered by facts from the anime or manga.
Asking for a rating is considered off-topic since it would be personal opinion and highly subjective.

I suggest you have a read of the sola - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating thread.

And again what's with question concerning DVDs? Are you talking about the Japanese DVD release or some rumoured U.S. release? There has been no U.S. license announced for sola.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote