Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-11-02, 23:26   Link #181
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Guys, at least Disney doesn't make Twilight movies.

You have to be grateful for that.
It's only a matter of time before they buy and make more of that franchise too!

Old 2012-11-02, 23:26   Link #182
chancs

Quote:

Putting everything aside, I agree with your point
chancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-02, 23:29   Link #183
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
It's only a matter of time before they buy and make more of that franchise too!

Be careful with what you wish for.

It might happen.
Old 2012-11-02, 23:29   Link #184
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I feel pretty much the same way towards this like I did back when Disney purchased Marvel Comics. Since I'm only a casual fan of both, I'm not really concerned. In fact I probably like Disney even more so than Star Wars OR Marvel.

And it's not like Star Wars and Disney haven't had connections in the past. The Star Tours attraction at Disneyland/World in particular comes to mind. This isn't very out there to me when I think of that.

I'll probably like the new trilogy anyway. I'm one of "those people" who didn't really have problems with the prequel trilogy. Maybe because I've never really been interested in deeply analyzing the Star Wars series.

The concept of Luke Skywalker being the protagonist in films where the Jedi are prevalent again is intriguing to me too.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-11-03 at 01:53.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 01:17   Link #185
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

George Lucas Will Donate Disney $4 Billion To Education

May the force be with the next generation.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 02:08   Link #186
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I'll probably like the new trilogy anyway. I'm one of "those people" who didn't really have problems with the prequel trilogy. Maybe because I've never really been interested in deeply analyzing the Star Wars series.
Well, I don't really analyze the series either, my dislike for the prequel trilogy has far more to do with the terrible scripts, which were further compounded by the terrible acting of Christensen.

Also, stealthy mod is stealthy
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 02:14   Link #187
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

The new episode is definitely worth a shot. Wont hurt to wait 2-3 years for a movie series that has long-stayed in my head.
Old 2012-11-03, 02:32   Link #188
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Well, I don't really analyze the series either, my dislike for the prequel trilogy has far more to do with the terrible scripts, which were further compounded by the terrible acting of Christensen.
Sounds like you're analyzing it to me. In the case of bad script writing, I didn't really notice. Bad acting? At some points sure, but I was too invested in other things to really care about such a thing that much.

But hey if it is bad from an objective standpoint, it can still be entertaining from a subjective view no? I expected a sci-fi action adventure story from Star Wars I, II and III and that's what I got.
Old 2012-11-03, 05:30   Link #189
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Michael Moore auditions to direct Star Wars VII, hilarity ensues. XD

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-11-03, 08:09   Link #190
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Sounds like you're analyzing it to me. In the case of bad script writing, I didn't really notice. Bad acting? At some points sure, but I was too invested in other things to really care about such a thing that much.
Not unless you count actively squirming in my seats upon hearing the weekday soap opera quality lines delivered by a crappy actor as "analyzing".

"I hate sand, it's coarse and it get's everywhere, unlike here, where everything is soft, and smooth"

"No, it's because I'm so in love with you!"

I still cringe when I remember those scenes. The original trilogy were hardly Oscar material, but at least they weren't this bad.

Quote:
But hey if it is bad from an objective standpoint, it can still be entertaining from a subjective view no? I expected a sci-fi action adventure story from Star Wars I, II and III and that's what I got.
The action scenes are entertaining, but for me all the other parts just had so much negatives that it's hard for the action scenes to make up.
Old 2012-11-03, 11:32   Link #191
chancs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
George Lucas Will Donate Disney $4 Billion To Education

May the force be with the next generation.
He has already started the preparations for his future viewers.
chancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 11:45   Link #192
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Please don't say stuff all of us will regret later.

But I bet Disney would have at least picked better actors. Moustache Dad was the only good actor in that entire series. Ugh.
Old 2012-11-03, 11:51   Link #193
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I could only HOPE that might actually happen! I'd even kiss Vader if he did that!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 12:12   Link #194
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
This is quite simply the best film Michael Moore has ever made, by far.
Old 2012-11-03, 13:34   Link #195
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
He probably to old and tired to continue his company. 2 billion cash along with handful of Disney share allow him to get easy retiring money
No doubt he is tired, of doing Star Wars/Indiana Jones and other old stuff, he wants out. His next venture is doing old school movies using dead actors..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Lucas is donating most of the money to charity:
http://collider.com/george-lucas-luc...harity/207790/
Same thing Bill Gates and Warren Buffett did, it is the easy way to avoid tons of taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Wonder if they'll release the Star Wars Holiday Special for Christmas?
If it makes money you bet they will, the same they will re-release the original trilogy un-edited. They might even re-release the 20th century cartoon they did with booba fet.

Last edited by mangamuscle; 2012-11-03 at 13:45.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 13:35   Link #196
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Not unless you count actively squirming in my seats upon hearing the weekday soap opera quality lines delivered by a crappy actor as "analyzing".

"I hate sand, it's coarse and it get's everywhere, unlike here, where everything is soft, and smooth"

I still cringe when I remember those scenes. The original trilogy were hardly Oscar material, but at least they weren't this bad.

The action scenes are entertaining, but for me all the other parts just had so much negatives that it's hard for the action scenes to make up.

The novelization were much better. The trouble with Revenge of the Sith was that the film missed some of the excitement it should have had in the beginning. When the only cheers from the audiance are when R2-D2 kick some droid butt, you know you have a problem. Rspecially when you are suppose to have cheer momemnts for Skywalker and Kenobi.

However the novel had two things in the openning that were far, far superior to the film.

One was the introduction to the Battle over Coruscant. The intro talks about the state of the Republic, how the war has gone, the Jedi that have fallen, both to the enemy and to the Dark Side. It talks about the fear the adults have about the war. The battle over Coruscant has it that the Chancellor himself has been captured. The fear and worry on the adults it clear. But the children have no fear. They have hope and they know. The children tell their parents not to worry, Skywalker and Kenobi will be there. The parents don't quite believe, but smile at thier child's hope. But what they don't know is that their children are correct. For just at the edge of the battle, two small fighter have come out of hyperspace. Skywalker and Kenobi have arrived.

The other part was the duel. The duel was told from Dooku's point of view. We have his thoughs about these two jedi he's facing. He wants Palpatine to take Kenobi for a new dark sider, but Palpatine says it will be Skywalker. The boy is powerful but unrefined. The duel starts and the text goes into how the two jedi are using the same stances they used on Geonosis, though they are much more coordinated this time. Dooku is bored with them and ask Obi-wan "Surely you can do better" To which Kenobi smiles and says "Alright than" and leaps stright up, to be replace by a very hard hitting Anakin. The power behind the swings throws Dooku off balance for a moment, "where did that come from?" He manages to knock Skywalker away, but then Kenobi is back. Both are using much more advacned stances now. The old stances were a trick. "clever". Dooku finds he can fight Kenobi, but cannot break the Jedi's defense...they are practically perfect. He also finds he cannot deflect Skywalker's blows because he's new style is raw power (Vader's style). Dooku has a very bad feeling about this.

The novel then switchs to Anakin's point of view.

I liked the narrative at the beginning because it gives that sense that the children know. The age of heros may be almost over, but at least at this point, Skywalker-Kenobi is the hero team that will win and the chldren still believe in heros. And that the children are right makes it more fun.

The inner thoughts of Dooku on his analysis of the jedi he fights is fun as well. Not just for his reactions, but also because there are a few lines of dialogue that would have been perfect for the film. While there was some, I enjoy the verbal sparing that happens in the older lightsaber duels, and this duel has some, but most of it was cut. I especially like it when Kenobi verbally spars back with a smile. He did this during the Grievious fight later on and on the Death Star years later. Unfortunately that part of the lightsaber duel in the film was done rather quickly, slowing down to the novel's pace once Dooku takes Kenobi out of the fight.
Old 2012-11-03, 18:04   Link #197
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Please don't say stuff all of us will regret later.

But I bet Disney would have at least picked better actors. Moustache Dad was the only good actor in that entire series. Ugh.
Why? Do you think the upcoming Star Wars will be worse than Twilight movies?

C’mon now, be more positive. I believe Disney won’t succumb that low.

Then again, there’s that Disney movie Bedtime Stories made by (and starring) Adam Sandler which is even worse than Twilight. Yikes.
Old 2012-11-03, 19:50   Link #198
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:

You know it's bad when you feel embarrassed for the movie. With Attack of the Clones, I found it was a decent Action-Adventure Fantasy movie married to a god awful romance film. The film would have been a lot better if the Anakin/Padme scenes were rewritten or cut.

Though generally Hayden Christiansen was bad. Wooden as a plank. I think Lucas makes for a poor script-writer/director. The prequels are a case of him having too much control and running it into the ground. The original trilogy were nothing incredible in the script/directing department, but they didn't have the excesses of the prequels.

Lucas should stick to what he's good at, special effects, and leave the rest for film-makers better skilled at that kind of thing. In fact, you could see the beginnings of the problems the prequel trilogy had in Return of the Jedi. Empire Strikes back really had just the right balance, and it's also the film where Lucas had the least direct control.

I bet by the time of the prequels Lucas had such a big name that no one dared to to oppose any of his bad decisions. It's something I've seen happen to many creative types, they strain against their executive oversight, but once they hit it big and their name carries weight, they run away with themselves. Look at Coppola and One From the Heart.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 19:54   Link #199
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Why? Do you think the upcoming Star Wars will be worse than Twilight movies?

C’mon now, be more positive. I believe Disney won’t succumb that low.

Then again, there’s that Disney movie Bedtime Stories made by (and starring) Adam Sandler which is even worse than Twilight. Yikes.
Dammit. You made me remember that. Now it's back to copious amounts of alcohol consumption.

But yeah, I agree. I still have faith in Disney. They're probably the only movie-producing company I actually have faith in nowadays. Not perfect by any means, but at least they usually show a modicum of effort, unlike Hollywood.
Old 2012-11-04, 09:05   Link #200
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The novelization were much better.
I loved the novelization. Particularly the description of the Yoda/Palpatine battle, the way Stover wrote it, it was so wonderfully poetic.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars