Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-12-23, 01:06   Link #1
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
School Clubs - Anime vs. Real World

One of the more common elements and plot devices in school-centered anime shows is the school club. In fact, "creating, saving, or preserving a school club" is a major plot point in a considerable number of anime shows, including some pretty prominent ones like Hyouka and K-On!

In anime, many of the school clubs being created/saved/preserved are either extremely niche or broad to the point of seeming pointlessness. Some are just plain weird. Nonetheless, some seem normal enough to me - Light Music Club, for example.

So this has me wondering - Are the school clubs of anime at all reflective of real-world Japanese school clubs? This plot element is common enough that I'm inclined to guess that school clubs are probably a big deal in real-world Japanese high schools. However, that's only a guess, and it would be nice to know.

If real-world Japanese school clubs are a big deal, I wonder how niche do they get? Or how purely entertainment-based are they allowed to be? Suppose you have 5 Japanese high school students all going to the same school, and they all want to start a Star Wars school club. Could they do it? Would most Japanese high schools Ok that? Would any?

If anybody reading this thread has some real-world knowledge pertaining to school clubs in Japan, I'd love to hear whatever knowledge you could share here.

It could impact how I view anime, which is part of the reason why I'm posting this on the General Anime subforum.
Old 2015-12-23, 09:36   Link #2
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Based on some material I read, and some talk with friends, I'd say the seriousness is depends on the school itself.

Using those five students as example--

If the school and student council are fine with that kind of club (considering regulation, etc), those five will only asked about: who is teacher who supervise it (it can be the student council who assigned the teacher to the club although rarely), discussing schedule as room availability, budgets availability and how much it required to run the club. Hence anime portrays existence of clubs like occult club, tea ceremony club, light music club even gaming club despite seems to do nothing compare to clubs like kendo club or archery club.

However, if the school and student council are those who aware--serious about matters, the story will be different.

Those five will be asked about how responsible they can be with that club, what kind of contribution can be given by having Star Wars club at school, things like that which may lead to conclusion where Star Wars club not allowed to exist at school despite having enough member and teacher to supervise (its most basic requirements). That's where the laid back student council, headmaster grandchild MC friend or prominent figure at school who know MC come to play in anime where no weird club allowed--allowing the club to be exist against all odds.

Student council and school also do regular check to see if a club is worth to be preserve.

Basically, Japanese culture value club as starting point for students to be involved in society which lead to allowing weird club to be exist and sometimes we found characters complained about how school forced students to join club through rules. Different school have different view about what matters in society which lead to sometimes (now seems to be rarely) we found an anime where there's no weird club allowed in school.

Well, this is my conclusion based on some material I read, and some talk with friends which may inaccurate. Maybe others can explain better.
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-23, 09:43   Link #3
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Clubs can also be culled when budget dictates.
I feel that Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate reflects much of real-life school club politics, at least in the sense of being serious business.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-23, 22:44   Link #4
judasmartel
*Author

So basically, weird school clubs are allowed but only to an extent, and they can still be culled as the budget dictates or as the school authorities deem it unworthy, is that correct?

How about those RL students not affiliated with any school clubs? Is joining a school club compulsory among students in Japan? Because here in our country, it's not required, but they do help improve students' personalities and social skills.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-24, 00:10   Link #5
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
So basically, weird school clubs are allowed but only to an extent, and they can still be culled as the budget dictates or as the school authorities deem it unworthy, is that correct?

How about those RL students not affiliated with any school clubs? Is joining a school club compulsory among students in Japan? Because here in our country, it's not required, but they do help improve students' personalities and social skills.
Yeah, basically like that.

Different school have different rules.
If the school rules said joining club activities is optional, then there's no problem if the student chose to not affiliated with any school clubs a.k.a "Go Home Club".
However if school rules said joining club activities is compulsory and the student haven't join any club after some time, he/she'll be called to teacher room where he/she will discuss that problem with his/her homeroom teacher, leading to either he/she assigned to a club by teacher recommendation (most likely to happen) or encouraged to make a club based on his/her interest (rarely happen, if fail to succeed, he/she'll go with the first).
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-24, 12:43   Link #6
RichardFromMarple

From Up On Poppy Hill has a few clubs featured when the clubhouse is threatened with demolition.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote