AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-04-16, 16:35   Link #8221
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Quite good!

Apart from one pronoun being wrong (and perhaps too many "onee-chans") you did a good job of integrating all the "stuff" into it... except we need a line where she puts the ribbon in her hair somewhere (and Haruki has to make a comment upon it).

Which pronoun?

I'll leave the onee-chan thing to the editors... I still think it best represents how Mitsuuru still thinks of Kyon-chan...

And she hasn't put the ribbon in her hair yet. She hasn't had time yet, and promptly forgets about it, what with all she has to deal with (Haruki). She's going to get the ponytail back at the end of the volume, don't worry.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 16:36   Link #8222
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
Quite good!

Apart from one pronoun being wrong (and perhaps too many "onee-chans") you did a good job of integrating all the "stuff" into it... except we need a line where she puts the ribbon in her hair somewhere (and Haruki has to make a comment upon it).

About the ribbon -- what is its significance going to be, other than 'an item out of time'?
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 16:39   Link #8223
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
About the ribbon -- what is its significance going to be, other than 'an item out of time'?
Just a convenient way to get a certain line out of Haruki at the end of chapter 7, when Kyon-chan starts wearing the ponytail again.

Also, the yellow ribbon is reminiscent of Haruhi, so there's that too.

I might set up the time loop later, though. "Later" as in "a volume that the author hasn't even written yet."
Old 2008-04-16, 16:48   Link #8224
Aebliss
Story Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Just a convenient way to get a certain line out of Haruki at the end of chapter 7, when Kyon-chan starts wearing the ponytail again.

I might set up the time loop later, though. "Later" as in "a volume that the author hasn't even written yet."
It'd be a trip if the ribbon was completely 'an item out of time', a paradox in and of itself, coming to adult Mitsuuru because Kyon gave it to him, who only had it to give because she received it from adult Mitsuuru. Its origin would then be some grim necessity.

Spoiler for Ribbon scenario:
Old 2008-04-16, 16:52   Link #8225
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
It'd be a trip if the ribbon was completely 'an item out of time', a paradox in and of itself, coming to adult Mitsuuru because Kyon gave it to him, who only had it to give because she received it from adult Mitsuuru. Its origin would then be some grim necessity.

Spoiler for Ribbon scenario:
Yes, exactly. It's an item that has no real origin in time, like that story about the watch. Of course, it still follows self-consistency.

And that is an awesome idea, although I'm kinda in favor of the ribbon just being a ribbon.
Old 2008-04-16, 16:53   Link #8226
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Yes, exactly. It's an item that has no real origin in time, like that story about the watch. Of course, it still follows self-consistency.

And that is an awesome idea, although I'm kinda in favor of the ribbon just being a ribbon.
Overcomplicating things that really need not be overcomplicated is silly.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 17:00   Link #8227
Aebliss
Story Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
Overcomplicating things that really need not be overcomplicated is silly.
And fun.

Quote:

What story about what watch? And thanks for the compliment. ^^
Old 2008-04-16, 17:09   Link #8228
walviss

Quote:

I just wanted to offer my opinion that Kyonko should wake up in closed space with the ponytail. Maybe you're doing that anyways, but it sounds like you want to give Kyon's line from the source to Haruki, which means Kyonko won't have it at the time. Then Haruki gives her a hairband afterwards? Forgive me if I'm getting it wrong, but my impression is that this is your plan.

I think it's a reasonable course of action to write it that way, but I personally don't think Kyon's ponytail moe (or the line for that matter, which I think should be replaced) should just be transferred to Haruki. However, even if I think Haruki shouldn't have a ponytail moe, he should have "Jane Smith" moe (subconsciously), and the ponytail would be part of that. So I would expect Kyonko to wake up in closed space dressed and coifed in the manner Haruki pictures her, since he is building his new, ideal world after all.
walviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 17:22   Link #8229
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Mitsuru(Big) adding milk to the tea without being asked?

Hmmmm, Mitsuru must want Kyonko to get bigger
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 17:23   Link #8230
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by walviss View Post
I think it's a reasonable course of action to write it that way, but I personally don't think Kyon's ponytail moe (or the line for that matter, which I think should be replaced) should just be transferred to Haruki. However, even if I think Haruki shouldn't have a ponytail moe, he should have "Jane Smith" moe (subconsciously), and the ponytail would be part of that. So I would expect Kyonko to wake up in closed space dressed and coifed in the manner Haruki pictures her, since he is building his new, ideal world after all.
Which means the Kyonko ends up with two yellow ribbons!

Edit: Kaisos:
Quote:
The future Asahina-senpai must have returned to her distant future, and then spent a few years there, before reuniting with me on this “time plane” again.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 17:42   Link #8231
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
What story about what watch? And thanks for the compliment. ^^
You're welcome.

Spoiler for the watch story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walviss View Post
I just wanted to offer my opinion that Kyonko should wake up in closed space with the ponytail. Maybe you're doing that anyways, but it sounds like you want to give Kyon's line from the source to Haruki, which means Kyonko won't have it at the time. Then Haruki gives her a hairband afterwards? Forgive me if I'm getting it wrong, but my impression is that this is your plan.

Kyon-chan does indeed wake up in Closed Space with a ponytail. However, Haruki does not deliver the line then. Kyon-chan delivers a different line in Closed Space that has much the same effect.

The next morning, Kyon-chan, feeling miserable for having snogged Haruki, remembers about the ribbon Mitsuuru gave her and ties her hair up once again. She goes to school, intent on ignoring Haruki, but he ends up complimenting her when she arrives, delivering what was originally Kyon's line:

Quote:
"You look great in that ponytail."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Mitsuru(Big) adding milk to the tea without being asked?

Hmmmm, Mitsuru must want Kyonko to get bigger
Yeah, exactly. That's exactly it.

Quote:
Edit: Kaisos:
Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 2008-04-16, 17:45   Link #8232
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Spoiler for the watch story:
Ahh. Mind rape.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 17:51   Link #8233
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
Ahh. Mind rape.
Think that's bad?

Spoiler for All You Zombies (direct from Wikipedia):
Old 2008-04-16, 17:59   Link #8234
walviss

Quote:
Kyon-chan does indeed wake up in Closed Space with a ponytail. However, Haruki does not deliver the line then. Kyon-chan delivers a different line in Closed Space that has much the same effect.

The next morning, Kyon-chan, feeling miserable for having snogged Haruki, remembers about the ribbon Mitsuuru gave her and ties her hair up once again. She goes to school, intent on ignoring Haruki, but he ends up complimenting her when she arrives, delivering what was originally Kyon's line.
Oh, that sounds great then. I was misinterpreting after all
walviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 18:22   Link #8235
Discreet
The Fascist

Those time paradoxes are under the assumption that time paradoxes are only circular. They don't take into account the possibility that the time paradox could either alter time and reality entirely OR have absolutely no effect on it whatsoever, similar to a manner in which Asahina conducts her time travel.

I think.

And I'm gonna be pumping out some edited works now, I got the free time today.
Discreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 18:42   Link #8236
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discreet View Post
Those time paradoxes are under the assumption that time paradoxes are only circular. They don't take into account the possibility that the time paradox could either alter time and reality entirely OR have absolutely no effect on it whatsoever, similar to a manner in which Asahina conducts her time travel.

I think.
GAAAAAH!

I've said it like 500 times now: Self-consistency! Those ideas were created with that in mind. Predestination paradox! Self-fulfilling prophecy!

Without self-consistency, MORE paradoxes are created, including ones like the Grandfather Paradox , which destroys the logical universe in its inconsistency.

Time travel in the Haruhi series does not destroy the logical universe. (We think.) Hence, self-consistency. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discreet View Post
And I'm gonna be pumping out some edited works now, I got the free time today.
Oh good. Thank you.
Old 2008-04-16, 18:56   Link #8237
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Don't you use "senpai" for your seniors/bosses at work, though?

As an example, how Hyatt uses "senpai" to address Excel in Excel Saga.
Hence why I said "person is older/has more experience than you".
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 19:21   Link #8238
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Hence why I said "person is older/has more experience than you".
...Bah.

I kept it as "-san" on the BT wiki anyway, so it doesn't matter anymore.
Old 2008-04-16, 20:25   Link #8239
Discreet
The Fascist

Chapter 5, Asakura Fight part 1, based on Jintor's edit, changes in bold, one ed note underlined.

Spoiler:

Concerning the Kyonko rape, I have no real problem with Asakura suggesting it, but I don't really think the actual process of sexually molesting Kyonko is necessary. Reading it just makes me feel dirty and a bit awkward. And really, I can't see any good reason to implement it.
Discreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 20:26   Link #8240
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
GAAAAAH!

I've said it like 500 times now: Self-consistency! Those ideas were created with that in mind. Predestination paradox! Self-fulfilling prophecy!

Without self-consistency, MORE paradoxes are created, including ones like the Grandfather Paradox , which destroys the logical universe in its inconsistency.

Time travel in the Haruhi series does not destroy the logical universe. (We think.) Hence, self-consistency. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Oh good. Thank you.
Self-consistency nothing. The Wheeler-Everett interpretation allows time travel without any form of paradox whatsoever, period. It's also less handwavy than the various variants of chronology protection conjecture or the Novikov self-consistency principle. And sliders are pretty much all but confirmed, so it's far more likely that Haruhiverse utilizes the Wheeler-Everett interpretation than anything else.

Edit: Actual molestation isn't necessary- and I don't think Yuuki would allow it~
kaura117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan