Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-05, 12:36   Link #181
Yuun
~Trying to Enjoy Life~

Send a message via MSN to Yuun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemon
Ragnarok Online - Love the game, but the anime is annoyingly bad IMO. And I'm still scratching my head whenever someone says they love the opening song . . .
I love the game but i can't seems to lvl up >.< damn.... i wonder how those ppl get to lvl 99, regarding the anime... 1 mage, 1 swordsman, 1 acolyte killed a Clock Manager...is ridiculus...for those who played the game would understand my meaning.

But i personally do think the opening is quite nice, and the character are just nice, with suitable bgm, story base quite strong to begin with, abit humor and adventure + unsuccessfull love attempt. I do think is quite a nice anime to begin the day with... but i'm not worshiping it either. If u hadn't played the game than plz dun...watch the anime till finish 1st b4 starts playing or else u'll start attempting the impossible while playing the game.
Old 2004-06-06, 00:20   Link #182
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

There aren't really any anime out there that people love and I HATE. But there are tons that I think are bad or not worthy of praise. These anime tend to fall into three main categories:

Samurai stuff: Don't understand the appeal of samurai in general: kurosawa movies, onimusha video games, kenshin... all overrated. Also that samurai anime with the guy who has the spirit of the great samurai swordsman and the more recent one with that naruto-ish kid. Didn't like those either.

Long story anime: I call it this category because I can see absolutely nothing else in these anime that would make them vaguely interesting: SutePri, Last Exile, umm should be more but can't remember off the top my head.

Movies: There aren't a lot of anime movies (unless you count the 50 DBZ and Pokemon movies) but I've yet to see one I would consider "great". Pretty much everything Miyazaki's made is unimpressive (aside from Totoro and what was it called- it won an award). GITS was bleh. Akira was good but mainly because of strong images. Vamp D, Ninja Scroll all bleh.

And then the two other series I wonder why people love are Bebop and Trigun. Trigun was really good for maybe seven episodes but competely destroyed itself with sappy overload.
Old 2004-06-13, 19:01   Link #183
green robotics
I AM A FEMALE OKAY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2-FumoGuu
And then the two other series I wonder why people love are Bebop and Trigun. Trigun was really good for maybe seven episodes but competely destroyed itself with sappy overload.
Bebop compels audience because of the quality of the animation is practically perfect in each episode. Although some may argue that the episodes are mainly filler, it's just another addition to character development. The storyline is quite interesting and tragic too; it reminds me of a farfetched Romeo and Juliet. (not getting indepth into that ) As for Trigun, I found the episodes to be quite choppy at times (and very sappy too) but the characters are quite loveable. I cried during Paradise when...Well, you know.

One manga I have a large distaste for is Oh! My Goddess! I read part of the second volume and I practically threw it away. I just couldn't read it anymore. It had a violent fume of shoujo-ness - Love triangles, and a crying Belldandy. AGHHHHHH!

EDITED TO ADD:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisakura
But my most hated show...(and director) FLCL!!!! OMFG... to keep it short and sweet.... BAD!!! NOT GOOD!! HORRID!!! KareKano was soo good I don't understand...
I must defend FLCL. I'm sorry, but I love FLCL so much to pieces. The animation was smooth and great in quality, the characters were interesting, and it was so deliciously confusing you just had to watch the episodes 89179827928374 times over again.
Old 2004-06-13, 19:50   Link #184
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2-FumoGuu
Long story anime: I call it this category because I can see absolutely nothing else in these anime that would make them vaguely interesting: SutePri, Last Exile, umm should be more but can't remember off the top my head.
So...you don't like anime that is particularly long? Last Exile isn't even that long, isn't it only like 20-something episodes? That's short! That's a single season!

Quote:
Movies: There aren't a lot of anime movies (unless you count the 50 DBZ and Pokemon movies) but I've yet to see one I would consider "great". Pretty much everything Miyazaki's made is unimpressive (aside from Totoro and what was it called- it won an award). GITS was bleh. Akira was good but mainly because of strong images. Vamp D, Ninja Scroll all bleh.
There are actually quite a few anime movies, we just don't see them getting fansubbed anymore for some reason, and rarely brought over licensed. Since you don't exactly explain why you don't like anything you've mentioned, it makes it difficult for me to make an educated guess as to what you would like, so I simply won't suggest anything at this point.

Since you don't like anything that is an entire season in length, and you don't like movies, I can only suggest sticking to short OVA series.
Old 2004-06-13, 20:22   Link #185
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
So...you don't like anime that is particularly long? Last Exile isn't even that long, isn't it only like 20-something episodes? That's short! That's a single season!
I think what he meant was, that he dislikes anime that depend mainly on a long term story. Which is...unusual.
Most people like anime that have a good storyline and dislike episodes that don`t concentrate on that story...those are called "fillers".
I, personaly HATE fillers.
Old 2004-06-13, 21:01   Link #186
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Wow, this thread lives. Maybe I should go revive the Man-Faye one...
I would like to again state my top choice in this category: NARUTO!!!!!
The fanboys make this anime unbearable. It has so much filler and could be shortened dratically.
DBZ and DBGT are also high on this list.
Old 2004-06-13, 21:22   Link #187
Xerone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade xTekno
Wow, this thread lives. Maybe I should go revive the Man-Faye one...
I would like to again state my top choice in this category: NARUTO!!!!!
The fanboys make this anime unbearable. It has so much filler and could be shortened dratically.
DBZ and DBGT are also high on this list.
I kinda agree wif Slade coz in a few certain episodes, the story doesn't even move and when I read the manga, 22mins=10pages
Old 2004-06-13, 22:29   Link #188
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky
I think what he meant was, that he dislikes anime that depend mainly on a long term story. Which is...unusual.
Most people like anime that have a good storyline and dislike episodes that don`t concentrate on that story...those are called "fillers".
I, personaly HATE fillers.

I considered that, despite the strange wording of their post. Episodic anime generally isn't high on my list eiother, I love long running plotlines. It shouldn't take much effort to see that the reason people like those anime is because they offer far more story and character developement than episodic series. Even if someone doesn't like them theirself, they should at least be able to see why others would.
Old 2004-06-13, 22:46   Link #189
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

He actualy named two of my favorit animes, Last Exile and Scrapped Princess, which have a great storyline imo.
...ok, youre right H2-FumoGuu, this thread is named "Anime you hate but everyone seems to like" after all... but this leads us to a single conclusion: You must be an alien!
Old 2004-06-13, 22:55   Link #190
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky
He actualy named two of my favorit animes, Last Exile and Scrapped Princess, which have a great storyline imo.
...ok, youre right H2-FumoGuu, this thread is named "Anime you hate but everyone seems to like" after all... but this leads us to a single conclusion: You must be an alien!

Well, there are benefits to episodic series over long running plotlines. If you miss an episode or two, it doesn't affect your enjoyment of the series at all. Also, if you want a small, bitesized story that you can enjoy all the way through, without having to sit through more episodes or a movie length anime to get the whole story, then episodic anime is what you want.
Old 2004-06-13, 23:45   Link #191
Lucent Serein

Personally, I'm not a fan of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. For one, I felt that none of the characters had any sort of distinguishable personality, with perhaps the exception of Akane. I did not find a single moment of the series touching; I just couldn't relate to any of it.

Essentially I dislike the series because the plot was unrealistic (I thought it was meant to be more of a realistic series), the characters were bland, and the remainder (art/music) wasn't strong enough to make up for what the series as a whole lacked.

The strong points to me were the character designs. But character designs alone can't keep me interested for 13 episodes. If the characters hadn't been so grey, perhaps I would've enjoyed the series.

This series is actually the only series, in ten years of anime, that I could not enjoy. I managed to enjoy DBZ, lacking as it was. I survived Pokemon and we know how that is. But there was just something about Kimi ga Nozomu Eien that I couldn't take. I managed to watch it all, but it tormented me to do so. It bored me for one. But beyond that, I also hated the characters and the plot while watching.

I'm hoping that I was at least decently logical through the entire thing. I don't mean to offend anyone with my opinions.
Old 2004-06-14, 01:56   Link #192
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucent Serein
Personally, I'm not a fan of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. For one, I felt that none of the characters had any sort of distinguishable personality, with perhaps the exception of Akane. I did not find a single moment of the series touching; I just couldn't relate to any of it.

Essentially I dislike the series because the plot was unrealistic (I thought it was meant to be more of a realistic series), the characters were bland, and the remainder (art/music) wasn't strong enough to make up for what the series as a whole lacked.

The strong points to me were the character designs. But character designs alone can't keep me interested for 13 episodes. If the characters hadn't been so grey, perhaps I would've enjoyed the series.

This series is actually the only series, in ten years of anime, that I could not enjoy. I managed to enjoy DBZ, lacking as it was. I survived Pokemon and we know how that is. But there was just something about Kimi ga Nozomu Eien that I couldn't take. I managed to watch it all, but it tormented me to do so. It bored me for one. But beyond that, I also hated the characters and the plot while watching.

I'm hoping that I was at least decently logical through the entire thing. I don't mean to offend anyone with my opinions.
I think that's the fault that most people have with KGNE, some can't seem to relate to it and that ultimately drags the series on for them in a manner that isn't enjoyable for them to like it. I found that the more and more people I talk to this seems particularly common in the ones who disliked the series, as they felt they couldn't connect with the characters in a way that would give the series meaning. I, on the other-hand, had the exact opposite, check my post in the real emotions thread in the KGNE forum here. Even though I'm quite highly 'protective' of the series, even I didn't take offense to your comments, at least you didn't say that the situation wasn't realistic like a lot of the other less-than-stellar people who gave their opinions elsewhere on the Net.

As for the topic, the one thing I can say that I don't understand is the whole fanboistic factor of Naruto. It's not that I hate the series but when I watched it for 32 episodes I just couldn't find anything in it that stood out as to why so many people were calling it one of the best ones they have seen. I can't really say it was a bad series but what I saw in there was pretty much the standard in that genre, even the plot kinda felt rehashed from somewhere. I'm continually being told that if I were to watch it post episode 50 that it gets better, but I honestly think that any series worth my time would've got me hooked well before episode 50. As Lucent, I hope my opinion didn't offend any of the Naruto fans, and if it did, please don't lynch me too much :P
Old 2004-06-14, 16:52   Link #193
Nightninja16

I also cannot stand DB DBZ AND GT very annoying. Also Gundam Seed is pretty bad. I can't figure why some people like it so much
Old 2004-06-14, 20:50   Link #194
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

I really tried to like this show really I did. I kept watching and watching hoping it would get better but after like 21 episodes I just could'nt keep watching the same old dry and boring shit. Maybe if they implamented some arcs instead of doing a different case every episode I would of liked it.
Old 2004-06-15, 19:25   Link #195
Iron Monkey

I have a really really strong dislike for Neon Genesis Evangelion. I still can't believe I watched the whole series and the movie. WTH was I thinking? That it would get better? Oh, I was young and naive back then.
Old 2004-06-15, 23:08   Link #196
BOZZY

Personally I don't really like Saikano... Usually I tend to like a series pretty much from the get go, based on animation, setting, basic plot/storyline... but yeah the permanent blush lines kinda turn me off and the series seems boring to me... I might give it another chance once I check out the manga... I had the same kinda feeling for Kanon then let all the good reviews of it convince me to give it another shot...
Old 2004-06-15, 23:49   Link #197
WARRAVEN
New Assasin on the Block

hmm

FLCL, first gundam series(I like other Gundam series, like Wing, Seed, and G), and anything DB DBZ or DB GT(they are so stupid, someone shoot the creators before another Super Saiya is added!). I particularly HATE FLCL with a passion! Its so dumb, and so are all the reasons for it being good, I know all the reasons and understand it, but its stupid in the end as well, so what he was trying to find himself and all that, thats what EVERYTHING ELSE IS ABOUT! And 100% of the characters are annoying as all hell, and the humor is dumb and overrated... and I better stop now. Sorry!

Raven
Old 2004-06-16, 00:42   Link #198
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZZY
Personally I don't really like Saikano... Usually I tend to like a series pretty much from the get go, based on animation, setting, basic plot/storyline... but yeah the permanent blush lines kinda turn me off and the series seems boring to me... I might give it another chance once I check out the manga... I had the same kinda feeling for Kanon then let all the good reviews of it convince me to give it another shot...
Your's is a common reason why some people dislike some series' out there. And it's quite valid considering the medium anime is, all animation so you are inevitably drawn to the drawing style. I have, however, noticed a lot more animators out there are starting to follow a similar trend, so SaiKano was a nice change of pace, a bit more simplistic in design of the characters, but put more into their actions and emotions than into the details of the characters. Sometimes it's just a refreshing experience to have a new animation style
Old 2004-06-16, 01:08   Link #199
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucent Serein

I probably largely agree with DarkCntry with his reply to your post.. KimiNozo would mean very little to me four or five years back. I remember watching To Heart when I was 14 and I was DEAD bored by it; and it was basically a real pain to watch. Since then I had a relationship, and got through a bloody painful experience. Things like that have opened me up to the inner world of conflicts and escapism.. Which is why I was pretty intrigued by KimiNozo.

And I look for subtleties; I like how the characters of Kimi were consistent and were pretty fleshed out. People complain that the middle of Kimi was boring and that the story should be shortened, but to me it was never dragging. Every moment was an essential narration of the story in its entirety; there was no moment of stagnation as I remember it. Every thing flowed more or less for one purpose or another. In the end, I'm not saying that KimiNozo is something for people who had relationships.. certainly not everyone is as weak as I was. But alike the recent movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I would think that there ARE some people who can really relate to the characters (especially Mitsuki and Takayuki), and some who really can't at all. Having seen the reflection of myself in Takayuki and Mitsuki, Kimi tells me much more than the pictures do.

And relating to this thread.. I'm really not into Samurai X/Rurourin Kenshin.. I don't think that it's that great. It shares the same formula as Samurai Deeper (KYO) in how an enemy will appear to be stronger initially, shocking Kenshin ("What speed! How fast!") before he pulls out a desperation move that finishes the enemy. The DBZ anime is probably also a no-brainer, but I've never really watched all of it; only the original DB anime (covering goku when he was little).
Old 2004-06-16, 01:27   Link #200
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

I think people who watch a series while it is being made usually have a different reaction than people who watch the entire thing after it has completed. Take cowboy bepop for example. I don't get why so many people are crazy about it. It's bland and boring. Lots of filler episodes, slow story line etc etc, but for some reason people who saw it a long time ago like it a lot. Others who recently watched it don't know what the big fuss is about. I stopped watching after episode 11, it just felt like I was forcing myself to watch it just because of the hype.

Even now with samurai 7, kenran butosai, monster etc lots of hype but little substance. I know the feeling; when popotan was airing I watched about 7 episodes of it and I thought it was good lol.
Closed Thread