AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-14, 22:57   Link #1
Kudryavka

Realistic Anime

Looking for anime that has realistic char designs; more clearly, an anime with Japanese who actually look Japanese, especially the eyes. Thanks to anyone who can help!
Old 2011-08-14, 23:15   Link #2
jedinat

Well you can hardly blame them for not drawing characters with obviously squinting eyes. It's not like Japanese people watching Japanese anime need visual cues reminding them that their eyes are shaped differently than other peoples, lol...

I don't know that I have any recommendations... I mean, I can point to a lot of anime where the characters don't look any less Japanese than any other race, and a lot of series' have a character that looks particularly Japanese...
Old 2011-08-14, 23:37   Link #3
Elegance

Totally Agree. ^^ Cant think of any. Maybe just ask for slice of life?
Old 2011-08-15, 00:39   Link #4
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I don't know that I have any recommendations... I mean, I can point to a lot of anime where the characters don't look any less Japanese than any other race, and a lot of series' have a character that looks particularly Japanese...
Good enough.

I'm not trying to say who's right and wrong or blame people, just wondering if such anime are out there.
Old 2011-08-15, 03:55   Link #5
GreatTeacherKen

I think another reason why animators (both Western and Eastern) generally avoid realistic character designs is the risk of uncanny valley effect. It has the risk of characters looking creepy and corpse-like, especially if the characters don't move or express themselves realistically despite their appearances. Stylized characters are often more expressive so they don't look as eerie when animated, assuming the animation is decent.

I'd say Monster's artwork is pretty realistic looking without looking creepy though most of the characters are European. Probably about as realistic as you can get without falling into uncanny valley.

It's manga, but 20th Century Boys by the same creator as Monster has pretty realistic looking characters.
Old 2011-08-15, 14:41   Link #6
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
I think another reason why animators (both Western and Eastern) generally avoid realistic character designs is the risk of uncanny valley effect. It has the risk of characters looking creepy and corpse-like, especially if the characters don't move or express themselves realistically despite their appearances. Stylized characters are often more expressive so they don't look as eerie when animated, assuming the animation is decent.

I'd say Monster's artwork is pretty realistic looking without looking creepy though most of the characters are European. Probably about as realistic as you can get without falling into uncanny valley.

It's manga, but 20th Century Boys by the same creator as Monster has pretty realistic looking characters.
Understandable.

There isn't much stuff like Beck in realisticness? I don't need photograph looking stuff, just stuff that isn't off the wall in char design like most anime today seems to be. Some back to basics, like Beck, Genshiken, heck, even Amagami (SS) and K-ON to really stretch it. I know all of those have unrealistic quirks, but their character design foundation is on reality.
Old 2011-08-15, 18:00   Link #7
Corwin_r

Send a message via MSN to Corwin_r
Koi Kaze may be just what you're looking for.
Old 2011-08-16, 03:16   Link #8
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Well he's the only Japanese but I think the protagonist of Monster really looks like a japanese in europe

I can't think of animus but there's plenty of mangas if you're willing to go there

Stuff like Ikigami , Soil , sun ken rock , sprite , freezia for exemple

edit: A bit old school but the characters in Akira always really looked japanese to me

Last edited by totoum; 2011-08-16 at 10:47.
Old 2011-08-16, 08:19   Link #9
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

welcome to the nhk?
Old 2011-08-16, 14:10   Link #10
mecharobot

Jin-Roh?

I don't know if it's good enough, but it's the best I can think of at the moment.
Old 2011-08-16, 15:27   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The characters are still quite stylized, but House of Five Leaves might be a good choice. It also "feels" realistic, though naturally none of us can really say what life was like in the late Edo period.
Closed Thread