AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-03, 03:10   Link #601
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Well, crisis has been identified, contained, and solved within the span of an episode? Haruki gets major props in my book for being as effecient as he is supposed to be; really fits his character. Screw Touma and Ogiso, I'm watching this show for the man that actually DESERVES a harem this time around. Don't get me wrong, I'm still glad they're limiting his LIs to two as it gives the show more focus, but Haruki is more deserving of multiple girls throwing themselves at his feet than 99% of the harem leads out there.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 06:42   Link #602
Tenzen12

Though I think it's irresponsible make promise to be "always together" with girl, unless he has intend get romanticly involved with her.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 06:56   Link #603
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Though I think it's irresponsible make promise to be "always together" with girl, unless he has intend get romanticly involved with her.
He said "I promise that I won't leave you before you left me" actually.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2013-11-03 at 07:16.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 07:03   Link #604
Tenzen12

He said more than this, but yeah that's what I taking about.
Old 2013-11-03, 07:19   Link #605
Mentar
Banned

What one person says and what the other person hears are two entirely different things, after all...

Setsuna is so starved for friendship that this line was a big big impact shot from Haruki. And a big big obligation.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 07:34   Link #606
novalysis

Quote:
I think the male MC meant it platonically - a commitment to friendship for life, unless Setsuna voids it first. However, would Setsuna interpret it in such a platonic manner though?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 07:52   Link #607
Tenzen12

Exactly! That's why I think people give Haruki bit much credit.He DOES appear to be oblivious to Setsuna feelings and DOES Invite some misunderstandings by his behaviour. In this metter he is not that different from other harem/romance leads.
Old 2013-11-03, 08:19   Link #608
ices
Working Hard

I think the apropriate term is "realist". He just doesn't want to interpert that in a romantic way. As long as she doesn't confess her feeling to him yet, he will consider it platonically. And it suits his character.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 10:49   Link #609
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
it's a White Album 1 internet meme
ah so that's where it comes from...
I didn't realize it..

well being oblivious is one of his way of thinking for not getting conceited maybe, we (at least me) give credit to Haruki rather than some other harem male lead, because he actually have the quality to be liked (IMO esp compared to a certain To-****-ru)
after all, Setsuna talked like she means it for her not to be left out from the group just like how she was in the past which was about friendship so I don't think Haruki could interpret it as a romantic feeling anyway
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 11:07   Link #610
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

The biggest difference is that Haruki, once he sees a problem, he actively goes out to try and solve it immediately. Rest of harem leads just leave the problem to itself and the story somehow fixes it along the way. In essence, the ones that drive the generic harem plot are the girls themselves with very little input from the male lead, but here everything happens BECAUSE of Haruki. Which makes White Album 2 "Haruki's story", rather than "female lead's story with a smattering of all the other heroines". And THAT for me is what makes WA2 rather compelling, especially when you compare it to WA1.

I mean, I just read the latest chapter of Nisekoi right now, and there's no way you can group Haruki with the likes of the generic harem leads.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 11:14   Link #611
skykh

Anyone read the extra Light novels on BT?
skykh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 11:23   Link #612
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skykh View Post
Anyone read the extra Light novels on BT?
If you mean the side stories that are there, I don't recommend reading them until certain points of the story, but in general it's better to wait until this anime season's ended before reading unless you want to spoil yourself on some things. The exhaustive list here will give an idea (without spoiling) when to actually read.
Old 2013-11-03, 11:36   Link #613
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
He said "I promise that I won't leave you before you left me" actually.
Dear god, you can taste the irony.

I'd say foreshadowing, but this show is doing a really good job in balancing the focus between its two heroines.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 11:47   Link #614
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Well, crisis has been identified, contained, and solved within the span of an episode? Haruki gets major props in my book for being as effecient as he is supposed to be; really fits his character. Screw Touma and Ogiso, I'm watching this show for the man that actually DESERVES a harem this time around. Don't get me wrong, I'm still glad they're limiting his LIs to two as it gives the show more focus, but Haruki is more deserving of multiple girls throwing themselves at his feet than 99% of the harem leads out there.
He's a great guy and certainly it's more believable than other guys getting their "harems", but I think you're selling the female characters a bit short.

Now if you're saying that he's exceptional in this area where the genre generally tries to espouse the appeal of the female characters far more than the male characters, that's fine.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 12:58   Link #615
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well I wouldn't really talk about "deserving" girls to be romantically interested in him. I think the more general point is that Haruki doesn't feel like a place holder main character. His story is every bit as interesting as the girls he interacts with, if not more so. His character has a strong presence and he isn't overrun by the other cast members at all.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 13:58   Link #616
Arya

Yes, Haruki is one of the few romance MC that deserves to be called MC. Yet I agree with Tenzen12 that the promise he made was a bit irresponsible. And given how well balanced the whole episode was, that felt a bit exaggerated. For the same reason I'm not that worried about that.
Nothing major anyways, but like I said they are warming-up.
What I liked about that scene anyways was that Setsuna didn't lift her pinkie (but I got the feeling that she could have) the whole dialogue / confrontation happened on the phone. A subtle way to made it up without being too intimate nor dramatic and with the right dose of friendship building-up.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 19:13   Link #617
MCAL

I think Haruki is a great male lead as well. As for the Setsuna thing, I don't really think he is oblivious to her feelings, rather he doesn't feel for her in a romantic way at all. I think its clear that he definitely sees Touma that way more.

And honestly, who could could blame him. I've fallen for Touma too. Best VN kuudere since Tsugumi Komachi.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 20:38   Link #618
kitten320

Quote:
Exactly! That's why I think people give Haruki bit much credit.He DOES appear to be oblivious to Setsuna feelings and DOES Invite some misunderstandings by his behaviour. In this metter he is not that different from other harem/romance leads.
Duno, I see nothing wrong in what he said.

It is fully Setsuna's fault for misunderstanding and taking it as anything more than promise of long lasting friendship.

You can't expect him to know that Setsuna is romantically interested in him. For one he doesn't know her so well. Secondly he acts like that with everyone both guys and girls. Friendly.

Besides Setsuna herself brought her broken friendship story. What Haruki did was not wrong, he was clearly backing Setsuna on friendship level.

If Setsuna told him some love story and he said same thing, then I would agree.

But otherwise I see no fault in his actions.
Old 2013-11-03, 20:41   Link #619
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Yes, Haruki is one of the few romance MC that deserves to be called MC. Yet I agree with Tenzen12 that the promise he made was a bit irresponsible. And given how well balanced the whole episode was, that felt a bit exaggerated....
Well put. The only thing I could think was that he was thinking exclusively in "friendship" terms, like a jolly band of pals. But that differs from how we are being made to see them, and still seems unusual for people who have just met recently. Maybe the next episode will re-balance things, as this episode did.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 01:39   Link #620
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

Hmm... I think Haruki said like that too so it can actually be to manage the balancing of the two female lead
after all, there're some indication which showed Haruki notice more about Kazusa rather than Setsuna

Well Setsuna was the main point which made Haruki to have a determination and a chance to continue their light music club, so he said it for at least to show his gratitude towards her after all Haruki was the one who pushed Setsuna into joining their club but he made Setsuna felt like being left out so it could also be his way of apologizing for making her feel that way

balancing the story is really one of the plus point of this series
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, love triangle, musical