AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-03-12, 22:00   Link #6661
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
I won't be surprised if the school administrators are protected by qualified immunity, like the assistant principal who strip-searched a student.
Actually, if you read the details of that incident and the ruling -- any parallel breaks down almost immediately. There was no policy in place about being unable to speak out about topics off campus. There was no substances being brought onto campus. There are multiple instances of judicial precedent where this sort of administrative misbehavior was ruled against in other cases so the school district's confidence is very misplaced.

There *was* an intrusion into a student's privacy sphere without due process or the inclusion of parents into the situation. There was also no illegal activity being investigated, just someone's pride injured and a determination to silence a "lesser being's" opinion.
Old 2012-03-12, 22:07   Link #6662
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, if you read the details of that incident and the ruling -- any parallel breaks down almost immediately. There was no policy in place about being unable to speak out about topics off campus. There was no substances being brought onto campus. There are multiple instances of judicial precedent where this sort of administrative misbehavior was ruled against in other cases so the school district's confidence is very misplaced.

There *was* an intrusion into a student's privacy sphere without due process or the inclusion of parents into the situation. There was also no illegal activity being investigated, just someone's pride injured and a determination to silence a "lesser being's" opinion.
Most school IMO are made up of nothing more than a bunch of control freaks wanting more personal power, being unsatisfied by the financial power. I remembered my middle school attempted to institute a "white strap bra only, no halter-necks" rule to the girls as our school uniform is an almost-transparent chiffon, black and pink bras are easily seen. They decided that having the word "bra" in the school rules is inappropriate and dropped it, instead bringing the girls who wear coloured underwear into counselling.

It is a girl's right to wear what she wants, and she therefore bears the responsibility for us guys to see what she is wearing through the translucent uniform. If you wanted to protect the female students, how about changing the colour of the school uniform instead?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 22:27   Link #6663
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is a girl's right to wear what she wants, and she therefore bears the responsibility for us guys to see what she is wearing through the translucent uniform. If you wanted to protect the female students, how about changing the colour of the school uniform instead?
Change the color or change the fabric to something less thin and less transparent. But of course the second option might be more costly.
Old 2012-03-12, 22:29   Link #6664
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Change the color or change the fabric to something less thin and less transparent. But of course the second option might be more costly.
Less-thin/Less transparent is a serious issue : Singapore is a tropical climate where the temperature can go up to 37 degrees post-monsoon. Most schools go with white to avoid heat-retention, though I still do not understand what goes through the neanderthal brains of administrators to make school ties compulsory; our classrooms are not air-conditioned like your offices.

Besides, I support the girls wearing interesting multi-coloured underwear. Abit of a good way to stay awake in class.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-13, 03:17   Link #6665
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Ahh, fond memories of school on hot days, or even better, rainy days. Female blouse were tissue paper thick. I ended up giving my jacket to some girls some days because their uniforms are so damn pathetic (when a blouse that was thin to begin with after a year of wear gets to the point where I could make out the freckles or whatever on the skin of their chest/bellies - never mind the bras - even on dry days I think it was time to invest in some sturdier cloth).

Still enjoyed the view while I could though, good times.

I hear you on having to wear ties though. Belt, tie, jacket, long pants/socks at just bellow knee height 35C days. Teachers offices have AC, classes have fans that turn at 1 revolution a week.

Also I wonder if that girl and her facebook thing (which is abhorrent, If it was my kid the school would be closed due to lack of funds pretty quick) will cause a knock on effect with your government and cause them to get around to stopping employers requesting FB passwords and the like during interviews.
Old 2012-03-13, 03:51   Link #6666
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Also I wonder if that girl and her facebook thing (which is abhorrent, If it was my kid the school would be closed due to lack of funds pretty quick) will cause a knock on effect with your government and cause them to get around to stopping employers requesting FB passwords and the like during interviews.
I've never been asked that in an interview but my response would probably move in one of several directions:
1) You say you want me to strip so you can do a cavity search? Are you experienced at that?
2) I'll be happy to share my passwords as long as you share yours with me... after all I need to know what kind of people work in this company. I'll need everyone's of course - especially all of HR.
3) And, of course, if I give you those and you don't hire me - I'll be suing/charging you for hacking my accounts through social engineering, or perhaps discriminating based on my religious beliefs. Won't that be fun?

That would pretty much be the end of my interest in working for them and I'd certainly broadcast their antics. I'd probably write several of their key managers depending on the situation -- I have found in the past that often the critical/important management is unaware of the bullshit their HR department is pulling on potential employees.
Old 2012-03-13, 04:37   Link #6667
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I've never been asked that in an interview but my response would probably move in one of several directions:
1) You say you want me to strip so you can do a cavity search? Are you experienced at that?
2) I'll be happy to share my passwords as long as you share yours with me... after all I need to know what kind of people work in this company. I'll need everyone's of course - especially all of HR.
3) And, of course, if I give you those and you don't hire me - I'll be suing/charging you for hacking my accounts through social engineering, or perhaps discriminating based on my religious beliefs. Won't that be fun?
If they asked for email and password, just ask "which one"?

A normal person would separate out his work email from his personal email. I have at least 6-7 active emails, separating out the sites which I purchase from, my work and my personal one which I use to connect to skype.

All different passwords but regularly used, so I can remember all the security stuff alright. If my boss asks for my password, I'll just give him one of those standby ones which I used to apply for his job.

Quote:
That would pretty much be the end of my interest in working for them and I'd certainly broadcast their antics. I'd probably write several of their key managers depending on the situation -- I have found in the past that often the critical/important management is unaware of the bullshit their HR department is pulling on potential employees.
You'd be more shocked if you work in the lower-level government offices. Especially military.

Old 2012-03-13, 04:59   Link #6668
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Link to the article about Government Agencies and Colleges asking for the FB passwords, can follow it on to the MSNBC article too.

Might already be posted, but apparently not wanting a girlfriend is an illness.

Mmm what I get from that is there are a lot of single lonely women over there, time to book a flight. :lol:
Old 2012-03-13, 05:32   Link #6669
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Less-thin/Less transparent is a serious issue : Singapore is a tropical climate where the temperature can go up to 37 degrees post-monsoon. Most schools go with white to avoid heat-retention, though I still do not understand what goes through the neanderthal brains of administrators to make school ties compulsory; our classrooms are not air-conditioned like your offices.

Besides, I support the girls wearing interesting multi-coloured underwear. Abit of a good way to stay awake in class.
I never mesured the temperature in a kitchen but I wouldn't be surprised than the temperature near the ovens and the grill in summer to be over 37 degrees, and I never say someone wearing paper thin uniform in a kitchen, and full black uniform are becoming more common. But of course, you can drink water while working, which I don't know if it's allowed in Singapore's classroom.
Old 2012-03-13, 15:48   Link #6670
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Double post.
NY ad agency rigs homeless as mobile Wi-Fi zones
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...bLOKEZ6U8QlJYI
Old 2012-03-14, 04:12   Link #6671
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Warhammer 40,000 - set in a science fantasy universe - has just turned 25. Why are grown men still launching tabletop war?

Congrats on the 40k series.
Old 2012-03-14, 06:38   Link #6672
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Because there are heretics out there in the world to bring to the knees of the God Emperor?

Old 2012-03-14, 08:03   Link #6673
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

My guess would be because it's FUN, and it's not just "grown men" either.

Endless "25d6" Soul
Old 2012-03-14, 08:56   Link #6674
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

<sigh> another stupid news reporter who missed out on gaming life.... "grown men" still re-enact WW2, naval battles, civil war, and a dozen other things in tabletop miniatures. So do "grown women" <cough>

This quote in the first handful of comments nails it:

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 2012-03-14, 08:57   Link #6675
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
<sigh> another stupid news reporter who missed out on gaming life.... "grown men" still re-enact WW2, naval battles, civil war, and a dozen other things in tabletop miniatures.
Exactly what I meant by heretics.

Old 2012-03-14, 09:40   Link #6676
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We will continue to defy the Imperium's expansionistic ways by running our games and not allowing them to take over our tables.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:59   Link #6677
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

You got to love the BBC lads when they conjure up pun-intended headlines :

Russia's Pussy Riot punk rockers to remain in custody

Old 2012-03-14, 11:03   Link #6678
GDB

Quote:
Most school IMO are made up of nothing more than a bunch of control freaks wanting more personal power, being unsatisfied by the financial power.
Not sure what it's like in Singapore, but American teachers and administrators definitely don't have financial power. Not until the university level, anyway.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 12:20   Link #6679
AnimeFan188

UFO buzzed Chilean F-5s at El Bosque Air Base

"A video taken by an aircraft engineer shows an unknown object buzzing a
formation of Chilean F-5s during a change of command ceremony at El Bosque Air
Base in Santiago on Nov. 5, 2010."

See:

http://alert5.com/2012/03/15/ufo-buz...sque-air-base/

and

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leslie...b_1342585.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 15:47   Link #6680
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Not silly (ha-ha) but about a comedian...so that is close enough.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=711225

Gallagher suffers heart attack before Texas performance

He had another one about a year ago. Got to do something about that if he wants to keep swing that Sledge-O-Matic.

Use to watch his HBO (or was that Showtime) specials in the 80s.

He ran for Governor of California during the Recall of Grey Davis (along with over hundred other people). Came in sixth, I think. I likely would have voted for him if Arnold hadn't run. Figured if the State was going to be a laughing stock, might as well have a comedian in office. At least government meetings will be funny.

Tags
humor