AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-03-17, 01:50   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Romanticism in action anime

I don't if you had alreadly noticed this pattern and I hadn't sen that many mecha anime prior to watching some shows on Toonami but there just seems to be some romanticism involve in some mecha anime. True, I do see some grit but recently I found that while there may be some grit, there is also an echo of this guy is "bad" guy and this guy is the "good" guy. I had noticed this as well that some of the main characters tend to survive when the show is all over and sometimes the creators seem to create an asspull and revive the popular ones back. It isn't in mecha but I see in it other genres as well like shonen or mahou shoujo although in sows like Death Note or Code Geass, who exactly is th "bad" guy is not all that clear but I don find some romanticism in it. Although I do not enjoy the sadism that writers display in some anime, I do find that there romanticism where the main characters seem to always get their way and the problem is always solved with either mecha, energy blasts or fists. Does anyone find the romanticism in recent or even past anime as I have?
Old 2009-03-17, 02:10   Link #2
GreatTeacherKen

Mmm it's pretty common in a lot of anime. I don't know if I can think of a shonen action anime, or sports anime off the top of my head that doesn't have this theme to an extent.

That being said, I don't think all idealistic anime and so-called gritty anime are as you describe. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a very idealistic show, but a surprising amount of good guys are killed, and the bad guys aren't really pure evil.

And a show like Now and there, Here and there, which is quite dark and gritty in the way it treats its subject matter (though children being exploited is kind of a hard topic to make funny without being tasteless) does ultimately have a hopeful message.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 02:39   Link #3
jedinat

I don't think "romanticism" is really the right term for whatever you are trying to describe...
You are essentially commenting on how some anime try to mimic real life more than others, and recently you have come to notice just how little these mecha shows on Toonami attempt to be realistic?

Sort of relatedly, I think that the show Kurokami The Animation is the new low precedent when it comes to the "I feel good so I fight good" combat mechanic. It throws out almost all pretense, and the power of the character(s) is based entirely on how they are mentally aligned with their partners, which can be arbitrarily maneuvered by the writers with even less effort/innovation than was previously thought possible.... suffice to say, I could not stand very many episodes.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 18:14   Link #4
lubczyk

That's the way I feel about Gundam 00. The so-called "protagonists" are so favored by the writers and made to look so perfect even though they have done so much wrong. There are no negotiations, just battle after battle.

The crux of Celestial Being's philosophy is "We're fighting for our future," which is the biggest load of pretentious bullshit I've heard since Gundam SEED Destiny. You're fighting for your future Celestial Being? Then, what about the futures of all those people you have directly and indirectly killed?

Anime like Gundam 00 and Kurokami are so bad at this, because the writers make the whole plot self-serving to the main characters. The protagonists are always right, always!!! It's pretentious, childish bullshit.

Having recently read War and Peace and Julius Caesar, I have a good frame of reference of just how juvenile Shounen can be.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 23:01   Link #5
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Speaking of favored protagonists, why do they seem to make it so that the main character is always "right" while everyone else is "wrong"? Can't the protagonists be "wrong" for once? Can't the protagonists lose for once? Why is that the organizations that the protagonists create or join ar e"good" and everyone else npt as "good" or just plain "bad"?
Old 2009-03-19, 23:24   Link #6
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
That's the way I feel about Gundam 00. The so-called "protagonists" are so favored by the writers and made to look so perfect even though they have done so much wrong. There are no negotiations, just battle after battle.

The crux of Celestial Being's philosophy is "We're fighting for our future," which is the biggest load of pretentious bullshit I've heard since Gundam SEED Destiny. You're fighting for your future Celestial Being? Then, what about the futures of all those people you have directly and indirectly killed?

Anime like Gundam 00 and Kurokami are so bad at this, because the writers make the whole plot self-serving to the main characters. The protagonists are always right, always!!! It's pretentious, childish bullshit.

Having recently read War and Peace and Julius Caesar, I have a good frame of reference of just how juvenile Shounen can be.
Lol! you have no clue what you are talking about. First of all 00 characters know their faults and knows the sin they committed, they are far from being perfect. And they are not fighting for their future but for others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Speaking of favored protagonists, why do they seem to make it so that the main character is always "right" while everyone else is "wrong"? Can't the protagonists be "wrong" for once? Can't the protagonists lose for once? Why is that the organizations that the protagonists create or join ar e"good" and everyone else npt as "good" or just plain "bad"?
Really? You should watch more anime, there are plenty of anime where both side have just reason and motive behind their action.
Old 2009-03-20, 13:11   Link #7
lubczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Lol! you have no clue what you are talking about. First of all 00 characters know their faults and knows the sin they committed, they are far from being perfect. And they are not fighting for their future but for others.
How have the CB learned their faults? They continue to do the exact same thing as first season - No political solutions, just kill, kill, kill. It's the usual. They have no political movement just organized slaughter.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-20, 15:17   Link #8
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
How have the CB learned their faults? They continue to do the exact same thing as first season - No political solutions, just kill, kill, kill. It's the usual. They have no political movement just organized slaughter.
They know their fault but right now they have to carry on and finish their mission first. And if you have problem with 00 lets discuss in Gundam forum.
Old 2009-03-25, 14:52   Link #9
Guernsey
The GAP Man

I have question and don't mistake this for a rant but why is that the organization that the "hero" works for the only organization that is being portrayed as the ones actually doing something as opposed to other organizations who are trying just as hard but still are not getting results?
Old 2009-03-25, 17:20   Link #10
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I have question and don't mistake this for a rant but why is that the organization that the "hero" works for the only organization that is being portrayed as the ones actually doing something as opposed to other organizations who are trying just as hard but still are not getting results?
Because stories have to be about something. Anime tell stories; fictional worlds are created to facilitate the telling of these stories, and are not an end in and of themselves. And I'm not really sure what you are referring to specifically. How many such anime have you come across that you feel this vague frustration towards overlooked "organizations"?
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 23:37   Link #11
Guernsey
The GAP Man

I don't know it just seems that those "organizations" are recruiting new members until a monopoly.