AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-13, 07:52   Link #1
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Samurai Pizza Cats (Kyatto Ninden Teyandee) (1990)

For whatever reason, I could not find a thread on this. I could've sworn we had one a number of years back... I vaguely remember there being discussion about the fansub project... Probably got deleted at some point, though....

Anyways, thought I'd post this topic with the recent news of Discotek having licensed the series.

As ANN reports:

Quote:
The North American video distributor Discotek Media revealed on Monday that it will be releasing the entire Samurai Pizza Cats (Kyattou Ninden Teyandee) anime series on home video. According to the post, the company will be selling separate subtitled and dubbed releases of the series via box sets — 52 episodes total for the dubbed release and 54 for the subtitled edition — with pricing and number of box sets yet to be determined.

The 1990-91 Tatsunoko "science-fiction historical gag battle anime" revolves arouund Nyankii (Samurai Pizza Cats), a secret ninja team that protects the robotic animal inhabitants of Edoropolis (Little Tokyo) from the evil ninja organization Karakara. Saban Entertainment licensed and released the series on television in the United States.
So, for fans of both the dub and sub, this is seriously good news. Though, it's understandable that the versions won't be on the same set, it does make the price a bit steeper with the fact you have to buy two separate releases to get both versions. But, eh... What can you do?

Hopefully they'll be released at the same time, as I'd much prefer the Japanese version. Most of my exposure to the series was through the Japanese one, so I'm more partial to it as a result.

So, what's your guys opinions of this news? Also, feel free to use this to discuss the series as a whole!
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 08:32   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Holy crap, I remember watching this when I was a kid. It was so awesome (And now I feel old...)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 08:57   Link #3
Dop
Mmmm....

I saw the ANN post this morning and thought "A company called Discotek has licensed Samurai Pizza Cats for a home video release? Am I reading this from rec.arts.anime.news through Gopher on a 80x25 Televideo terminal hooked up to the college mini-computer or something?"

I remember seeing a couple of episodes now and again a long time back, but suspect it's one of those things that is never quite as good as you remember it.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 09:13   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Lol when I was a kid I thought Saban's localization of this was like the greatest thing ever, but then of course when I watched an episode later in life at an anime convention I realized it was just about the most random thing ever and maybe half the localized jokes actually work or make any sort of sense. Still hilarious to watch though. I also like that they tried to claim that the fox that was the Samuri (yes that's how it was spelled in the dub opening) Pizza Cats main villain was a mouse (a flaming effeminate one at that) when it's just so clearly a fox. Oh 90's anime dubs....you were so hacked up and barely resembled your original source and you were lucky if you made any sense at all.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 09:32   Link #5
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I remember that anime when I was a child and I saw that on Mangas (a local channel that air loads of old animes and some recent animes) !
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 15:36   Link #6
CBredbeard
Banned

The dub was something else...
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 00:13   Link #7
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Oh god that show was so much fun. Doesn't matter how much anything made sense, it was just fun .