AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-04-22, 20:16   Link #8661
Kylon99

We were actually thinking that EP6 would turn out more like that recent TIPs where Battler goes and abuses his game master authority. Or like that fake spoiler where Battler declares in red that all females in EP6 will be naked. 8)

Instead we get moody Battler instead. Not even getting the Stake Sisters to sit around him and look pretty! And he even insisted on Genji and Kumasawa rather than Ronove and Virgilia.

Which, by the way, was very interesting, I thought. Is there something that prevents him from making those two into Ronove and Virgilia? Assuming he's the one who controls their appearances... Maybe since he thinks of those two more as Genji and Kumasawa he just can't bring himself to change that. Whereas Beatrice sees them more as Ronove and Virgilia...
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 20:18   Link #8662
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
All of a sudden.. I want an Umineko dating game. Or more to the point, a bishoujo/biobaasan/bimajou game. I can see there being routes for:

- Maria, Jessica, Shannon
- Eva, Natsuhi, Rosa, Kumasawa
- Beatrice, Virgilia, Lambdadelta, Bernkastel, Erika, Ange, Gaap
- why stop there? George and Kanon. Rudolf? Nanjo? Ronove? Ronoue? HEH

EDIT: How can I forget Kyrie? 8)
This is what I want for an Umineko Rei, if there is one Each of the characters could have their own short route!

Anyway, interesting interview. I didn't think Zepar and Furfur would be THAT important...
Tjfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 20:19   Link #8663
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Umineko confirmed for the romance genre

I better look up the ten commandments for Romance novels. j/k
I didn't even know such rules existed.

And I'm shocked at how many of these Umineko falls into.
SeagullCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 20:19   Link #8664
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
All of a sudden.. I want an Umineko dating game. Or more to the point, a bishoujo/biobaasan/bimajou game. I can see there being routes for:
Have you looked at Higanbana no saku yoru ni yet? (Ryukishi's newest Manga) I've read a little bit into that manga. Ryukishi seems to be better with horror/romance than he is with mysteries that's for sure.

And as an interesting twist the protag is a girl DUN DUN DUN
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 20:22   Link #8665
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeagullCrazy View Post
I didn't even know such rules existed.

And I'm shocked at how many of these Umineko falls into.
VIII. Thou shalt prefer a straightforward narrative.

Too bad he broke this one.

EDIT: oh wait the site says this just means "don't use too many flashbacks or you'll turn the reader off" huh... he DOES follow that one... IN GAME anyway

X. Thou shalt never forget thee has promised thy reader a fantasy.
I don't know IS IT? We kind of haven't decided yet.

Quote:
"Realistic" doesn't mean "real." The reader reads to enter a magical world, where lovable women and dynamic men risk everything in order to live happily ever after. Keep the romance paramount, and reflect the special
magic of two people coming together for all time in full understanding, empathy, and love, and you'll give your reader the enchantment she's been promised.
Okay TELL me this doesn't follow the whole meta world thing. It suddenly makes sense why there are so many female characters now
Old 2010-04-22, 20:29   Link #8666
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
IX. Thou shalt make each character, episode, and scene do double duty.

Every secondary character, scene, and episode should accomplish more than one thing. If your heroine has two friends, can you combine them into one? While you have your hero and heroine arguing over one thing, can you also foreshadow an upcoming piece of action?
Please tell me this isn't referring to Shkanon...
SeagullCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 20:31   Link #8667
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Okay, bits from a new Ryuukishi interview translated (the originals are from 2ch, so take everything with a grain of salt). More info whenever the complete interview turns up.

Spoiler for Ryuukishi interview:
Thanks for the providing the info Chronotrig. This pretty much confirms Shkanon.
Old 2010-04-22, 20:33   Link #8668
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
Thanks for the providing the info Chronotrig. This pretty much confirms Shkanon.
I want to still deny it, but the romance rules are now making it so hard... I care too much for those characters just accept that.

Suddenly I think it might turn out okay though. I'm sure he'll find some way to make it make sense.
Old 2010-04-22, 20:39   Link #8669
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Somehow I don't think I see Bernkastel yielding easily to the overwhelming power of love.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 20:41   Link #8670
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeagullCrazy View Post
Please tell me this isn't referring to Shkanon...
I noticed that too.

I think it could also be saying that when your making the notes to write your story if you have two similar characters that are friends with the MC it'd be better writing to just combine the characters so you have one good candidate for the MC's love.
Old 2010-04-22, 20:42   Link #8671
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Somehow I don't think I see Bernkastel yielding easily to the overwhelming power of love.
Ah are you referring to Raito since he possibly represents Van Dine? Maybe, maybe. I'm still hoping for Ryu to prove us all wrong when episode 7 comes around.
Old 2010-04-22, 20:56   Link #8672
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Uhmmm, I'm kinda disappointed by this interview, oh well actually I expected it wouldn't really say something, so it's not like I'm really disappointed. But then why are you saying that this confirms Shkanon? Which part precisely? I may have missed something...

The part about understanding how Kanon escaped the room doesn't actually seem to be related. Considering ryuukishi said that by understanding that you can understand all the closed room, then the trick can't be shkanon. Not that it means anything against shkanon, but neither the contrary.

I always thought that Beatrice knows a particular ingenious trick to create closed rooms and she basically uses that for all the closed rooms scenarios. That's why many times I've tried to put the facts together and asked to reason about a way that could work with all of them.

I've never liked any trick that could work for a simple instance, like: "in the closed room case X trick Y wasn't denied, so it's how it was done". That's lame, if that was the case then a closed room wouldn't be resolved only because the detective conveniently doesn't remember to ask that particular repetition that he asked in previous instances.

EP6 reinforced me the impression that this "ingenious trick" existed, by the fact that it was frequently said that "the old Beatrice would definitely find a way to escape this closed room". I don't think Beatrice has been depicted as a person exceptionally smart, so that sentence only makes sense if she already know how to do it.

Now this interview seems to settle the matter. The only question is: what's the trick?
I think there two main ways to reason about it:

1) It's pragmatic trick that would in the real life.
2) It's a trick in wording the red truths or how the situation was presented.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 21:05   Link #8673
Judoh
Mystery buff

People think the Zepar and Furfur comment all but "proves it".

I like that your not claiming that though.

And I think your right. The trick is definitely not Shkanon it has to be something like hidden content or a mystery we've never been able to solve before. Or something obvious we never considered. I was just saying that Shkanon can't be the content of land of the golden witch when this interview came up. In fact I posted that just before this. The content was supposedly a group of reds that he planned to use I think.
Old 2010-04-22, 21:07   Link #8674
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Ah that one?

Well I always assumed that the antishkanon faction thought there was another interpretation to what they said rather than thinking that all they said was irrelevant...

were you not..?

Old 2010-04-22, 21:09   Link #8675
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Well, it can't just be that the person never leaves the closed room because of the no one was hiding reds... unless they were present and not hiding.

If there is a single unified method, it would have to be extremely simple, because an overly complex explanation would've betrayed itself in unusual patterning by now.
Old 2010-04-22, 21:11   Link #8676
Judoh
Mystery buff

There probably is another interpretation I think. I know I was assuming that.
Old 2010-04-22, 21:15   Link #8677
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Well, it can't just be that the person never leaves the closed room because of the no one was hiding reds... unless they were present and not hiding.

If there is a single unified method, it would have to be extremely simple, because an overly complex explanation would've betrayed itself in unusual patterning by now.
The most ingenious tricks are usually very simple.

I admit mine is more a hope than anything... it would be absolutely awesome if there was a single simple trick to explain all of the closed rooms. Any other way wouldn't really impress me, mainly because a lot of persons have already speculated about a lot of different tricks for any closed room, and most of them are trivial or iconic of mediocre writing.

Quote:
There probably is another interpretation I think. I know I was assuming that.
Good, however now you have no excuse to avoid that subject. I've been asking the antishkanon faction to give an explanation for that for months, now you know it's definitely important.

Old 2010-04-22, 21:23   Link #8678
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Good, however now you have no excuse to avoid that subject. I've been asking the antishkanon faction to give an explanation for that for months, now you know it's definitely important.
It's been offered, but not a lot of people have enough familiarity with the actual text to say one way or the other. The people who have tend to just blithely accept one perspective.
Old 2010-04-22, 21:24   Link #8679
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Really,
This interview added nothing... much less confirming any theory...
I even read Zeparu and Furufuru lines again...

So much fuss for...whatever
Old 2010-04-22, 22:20   Link #8680
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Yeah, that didn't confirm anything except that Zepar and Furfur's speeches were important, and we already knew that. It does make the gold = subjective truth thing clearer though.
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote