AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-05, 10:47   Link #1
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The Darkness

In the past AnimExpo 2006 Gonzo spokesmen confirmed that production for The Darkness is already on the works, seeing the success that the WitchBlade anime is garnering in Japan.

The complete interview which validates and makes official this statement can be checked at AnimeOnDVD.
Old 2006-07-05, 10:56   Link #2
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I've read several issues and it's nice.

A perpetually horny devilish assassin out to do some evil. 8)
Old 2006-07-05, 11:49   Link #3
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Hmm, that's an interesting choice. I wonder if they'll do the Magdalena if the Darkness is succesful? (The Magdelena was my favorite).
Old 2006-10-01, 23:41   Link #4
gelugon2105
Ominous

You people are wondering whether Top Cow will subcontract more of its series to Gonzo. I am wondering whether the Darkness will reproduced as an anime for actual viewing. There is a video game being made for The Darkness but it's already being lambasted from politicians and children's rights groups and other sanctimonious organizations. The Witchblade anime is good, but even then it has to contain many elements that make it appeal to Japanese (e.g. a clumsy childish MILF; a really kawaii girl good at housekeeping, much like Sakura Kinomoto; some fanservice episodes; hilarious immature arguments among characters). The Darkness can't really have all that; it's about a gangster boss who can conjure demons and supernatural weapons to slaughter people, even ordinary cops -- and only when it's dark. I know Gonzo can make dimly lit scenes easily, but the Darkness only works when there's little or no light.

Either that or they alter the Darkness, the lead guy AND the story, like Gonzo did with the Witchblade anime.
Old 2007-06-28, 01:13   Link #5
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelugon2105 View Post
You people are wondering whether Top Cow will subcontract more of its series to Gonzo. I am wondering whether the Darkness will reproduced as an anime for actual viewing. There is a video game being made for The Darkness but it's already being lambasted from politicians and children's rights groups and other sanctimonious organizations. The Witchblade anime is good, but even then it has to contain many elements that make it appeal to Japanese (e.g. a clumsy childish MILF; a really kawaii girl good at housekeeping, much like Sakura Kinomoto; some fanservice episodes; hilarious immature arguments among characters). The Darkness can't really have all that; it's about a gangster boss who can conjure demons and supernatural weapons to slaughter people, even ordinary cops -- and only when it's dark. I know Gonzo can make dimly lit scenes easily, but the Darkness only works when there's little or no light.

Either that or they alter the Darkness, the lead guy AND the story, like Gonzo did with the Witchblade anime.
Not to bash Top Cow, but seriously, them letting Gonzo do their own thing looks like easy money; regardless of who paid who to "co-partner" on Witchblade, Top Cow gets to ride the "anime wave" back to the US (and into the minds and wallets of anime fans who were not originally Top Cow fans) as these titles based on their properties get licensed.

As a fan of Marc Silvestri's work and as a guy who followed Image and Top Cow titles through the '90's I wish them well. But I think they *have* to give Gonzo a free hand with the production and story or it will flop; remember, they're producing this for the Japanese audience *first* and not as hired help on OEL animation.

And re: the "darkness" of The Darkness, Witchblade got toned down for TV and uncensored for DVD so I suppose there's hope, or they could go R-15 on cable, or OVA like Helsing...
Old 2007-06-28, 14:22   Link #6
u43368
Disabled By Request

I'm not a big fan of American comics and I don't mind a little Nipponization, but please Gonzo, don't add in annoying bug eyed girls like the DMC anime did. I also hope they don't tone it down too much like the Hellsing TV series.

Ha, just a couple days ago I was thinking how awesome a Darkness anime would be, maybe my dream will come true and V for Vendetta will be next?
Old 2007-07-02, 05:19   Link #7
DieH@rd

So far the best Gonzo's adaptation is Gankutsuou. They somehow managed to make that anime without "childish characters with ultra big eyes". And RxJ is right behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
I've read several issues and it's nice.

A perpetually horny devilish assassin out to do some evil. 8)
Can you tell me whats the full name of that manga? Any english "release"?
Old 2007-07-02, 09:41   Link #8
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

It's not a manga, it's an American comic. Pretty good one, at that. And a kick-ass videogame on the Xbox360 and PS3 now.