AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2004-03-24, 22:02   Link #21
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
since i have to pick only one, go with the preferred. i think pursuing one's dreams is the best way to live life, though some people will get hurt in the process. if one don't pursue their dreams, then they usually end up bitter and ticked-off for one reason or another, which can lead to things like domestic violence, drinking, etc. some people sacrifice dreams for family and pull it off quite well, some don't. Yasopp doesn't seem like the type to sacrifice for family very well, mainly due to the few flashbacks of him we've seen. while it's true he's a bad father, not everyone makes a good one, even those that don't leave the house.
fenrihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 22:07   Link #22
eLstar
(^_^)v

Well you miss the point. The point is whether or not should Usopp still be admiring his father. The points I gave were just to help you choose which one. Is it right for Usopp to admire his father or not? Is he an admirable man to look up to?

///_^
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 23:41   Link #23
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

I say Usopp should still be admiring his father, because that's the decision he already made. I'm sure Usopp was a smart enough lad to realize that what his dad really did was abandom him and his mom for selfish reasons. If Usopp is willing to overlook that about his father and still admire him, then it's fine with me.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-25, 14:24   Link #24
eLstar
(^_^)v

I don't know if it's overlooking. I think it's more of the situation where Usopp had no one else to turn to, to look up to. there doesn't seem to be many people to admire in the village, and a pirate seems like something cool to ANY little kid.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 01:51   Link #25
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
there are the ideal fathers that usopp could look up to, but i dont' think usopp is the type to look up to someone who does everyday life, instead he wants the grandiose dream ideal that he makes his father out to be in his mind. in that respect, he sees his father as ideal and strives to achieve that ideal.

so, i like Oda's perspective, since, through the ideal he has of his father, he's trying to become a better person.
fenrihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-05, 10:45   Link #26
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Usopp is probably one of my favortie characters in One Piece simply because he has one of the most admirable traits: he endures

I know, so to does Luffy, Zoro, whoever, but this is a different case with Usopp.

Let's face it, Usopp has a rather... lax view of what it means to be a pirate and probably wouldn't have lasted long by himself even out on East Blue.
But at the same time, though he knows how overwhelming things can be in the real world, he keeps going. He has next to no idea what's around the next bend of their journey and is one of the crew least equipped to defend himself(at least in his own mind) ...but he keeps going.

Usopp, to me, reflects a very important time during a person's life in general; the ascencion from adolescence to adult-hood. He's pushing through all his personal issues and concerns and reaching towards his potential, dispite how "out-of-reach" it may seem. As one in this period of "trascension," I feel that I relate to him the best.
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 18:49   Link #27
yaluckyboy
NaruHina Maniac

If you look at the chapter 301, it shows how Usopp got his dials

Spoiler for funny:

Imagine what he could do if he combines his hammer with an impact dail, he could have it loaded with lots of strength (maybe even created by Luffy's punches or something) and use his deceitful tactics to make people think he is totally weak (which is actually the case) and finish off his battle with his special hammer that releases all the built up force in one powerful shot

He could call it his Usopp Power Hammer that releases all the contained power at the moment of impact (he could also carry refill dials that hold just as much force and can change them when he uses one up)
( W)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
yaluckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 19:01   Link #28
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaluckyboy View Post
Imagine what he could do if he combines his hammer with an impact dail, he could have it loaded with lots of strength (maybe even created by Luffy's punches or something) and use his deceitful tactics to make people think he is totally weak (which is actually the case) and finish off his battle with his special hammer that releases all the built up force in one powerful shot

He could call it his Usopp Power Hammer that releases all the contained power at the moment of impact (he could also carry refill dials that hold just as much force and can change them when he uses one up)
He'd probably only get one good use out of it though, we've seen how the recoil on those things tear into poor Ussop. I'd imagine the hammer would probably explode judging from the light material Ussop would have to make them out of in order to wield them at all(of course, that also makes them easy to replace so he could always mass produce the things).

I personally think Ussop may be slightly afraid of Impact Dials, otherwise he'd have augmented more of his weapons with them. Or maybe he just doesn't have all that many to start with; I'd imagine something that potentially powerful would be pretty costly even if said buyer had in their possession "other-worldly wonders."
Actually, now that I think about it... does he have an impact dial in Kabuto or are they all just breath dials?
Old 2008-11-12, 19:19   Link #29
yaluckyboy
NaruHina Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNhite View Post
He'd probably only get one good use out of it though, we've seen how the recoil on those things tear into poor Ussop. I'd imagine the hammer would probably explode judging from the light material Ussop would have to make them out of in order to wield them at all(of course, that also makes them easy to replace so he could always mass produce the things).
Like I mentioned earlier, he would have recharges and judging by his previous experiences, he'd want to reinforce the hammer

Quote:
I personally think Ussop may be slightly afraid of Impact Dials, otherwise he'd have augmented more of his weapons with them. Or maybe he just doesn't have all that many to start with; I'd imagine something that potentially powerful would be pretty costly even if said buyer had in their possession "other-worldly wonders."
Actually, now that I think about it... does he have an impact dial in Kabuto or are they all just breath dials?
First of all, his Kabuto has a combination of four different types of dials: Flash, Breath, Impact and one more I can't seemed to put my finger on

And secondly, given the fact that all the Straw Hats will need to get stronger somehow, Usopp will need to face his fears and build new and more powerful gadgets
( W)
Old 2008-11-12, 19:26   Link #30
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
First of all, his Kabuto has a combination of four different types of dials: Flash, Breath, Impact and one more I can't seemed to put my finger on

And secondly, given the fact that all the Straw Hats will need to get stronger somehow, Usopp will need to face his fears and build new and more powerful gadgets
I do believe he does have a Flame Dial in their somewhere seeing as so many of his shots involve fire. I really don't see the Flash Dial though, unless he wanted it solely for the intimidation factor I couldn't see much practical use in it.

The rest of your post speaks for itself, I conceed to your logic.
Old 2008-11-12, 19:29   Link #31
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
The rest of your post speaks for itself, I conceed to your logic.
Wouldn't you know it, the second I post that and an argument stirs in my brain...

Like you stated, Ussop will have to face his fears and I think that will probably be his biggest growing point.

Ussop's arsenal, as it stands, is quite formidable. We saw how he handled Luffy, he just really hasn't been able to handle anyone like that since. Perona was a good glimpse, but overall I think Ussop's major step willnot involve the forging of various gadgets but a forging of greater will.

That alone is all that seperates Ussop from Batman; their resolve...
Old 2008-11-13, 14:43   Link #32
yaluckyboy
NaruHina Maniac

Here is something i noticed earlier

Usopp is clearly the "creative" type, but those ideas of his are limited to his engineering potentials. I read somewhere that with the help of Franky, he was able to build a much larger version of his Kabuto that is installed somewhere in the Thousand Sunny that he calls the Kuwagata (a little pun on the Japanes names of the Hercules and Stag beetles, Kabuto and Kuwagata respectively)

(I never actually saw it in action, but if someone could point me to either a chapter or episode where I could, I'd like that a lot)

Imagine what they could build together with both Usopp's Dials and Franky's Engineering skills
( W)
Old 2008-11-13, 18:26   Link #33
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Here is something i noticed earlier

Usopp is clearly the "creative" type, but those ideas of his are limited to his engineering potentials. I read somewhere that with the help of Franky, he was able to build a much larger version of his Kabuto that is installed somewhere in the Thousand Sunny that he calls the Kuwagata (a little pun on the Japanes names of the Hercules and Stag beetles, Kabuto and Kuwagata respectively)

(I never actually saw it in action, but if someone could point me to either a chapter or episode where I could, I'd like that a lot)

Imagine what they could build together with both Usopp's Dials and Franky's Engineering skills
SOmething wayyy deadlier than any of the previous battle frankies....
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 09:57   Link #34
yaluckyboy
NaruHina Maniac

Imagine if Usopp and Franky built somekind of super amunition for the Gaon Cannon that, once shot, breaks into thousands of smaller blasts that also break into smaller blasts

I would love to see Usopp argueing against Sogeking when he's in the presence of the other Straw Hats
(imagine what the others will say when they find out that the made up identity of Usopp is actually becoming real)
( W)
Old 2008-11-14, 13:02   Link #35
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Imagine if Usopp and Franky built somekind of super amunition for the Gaon Cannon that, once shot, breaks into thousands of smaller blasts that also break into smaller blasts
So you want them to build a naval carpet bomb?
Eh, they managed to make a giant refrigerator, why not?

Quote:
I would love to see Usopp argueing against Sogeking when he's in the presence of the other Straw Hats
Sad as it may seem to think about, I think we are slowly nearing the end of Sogeking's prescence. If Ussop is to develop as a brave warrior of the sea, he's going to have to learn to operate on his own strength.
Sadly, that most likely means we will be seeing the loss of Sogeking and possibly soon what with the Strawhats presumably "upgrading" themselves in the current arc.
Old 2008-11-14, 13:22   Link #36
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
But then he isn't really sniping anymore, is he?

Quote:
Sad as it may seem to think about, I think we are slowly nearing the end of Sogeking's prescence. If Ussop is to develop as a brave warrior of the sea, he's going to have to learn to operate on his own strength.
Sadly, that most likely means we will be seeing the loss of Sogeking and possibly soon what with the Strawhats presumably "upgrading" themselves in the current arc.
Maybe he'll do some kind of merging with Sogeking? The two become a single entity: El rey de los tiradores!
Old 2008-11-14, 13:24   Link #37
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtseisRagnarok View Post

Maybe he'll do some kind of merging with Sogeking? The two become a single entity: El rey de los tiradores!
That works well enough.
I'd personally prefer to see more of Ussop's determination from when he fought Luffy, he had a countanence that could rival most Naruto characters!

Oh yeah, and as for your sniping comment, do you remember my idea of the mortar sharpshooter?
BLAMO...
Old 2008-11-14, 19:58   Link #38
yaluckyboy
NaruHina Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtseisRagnarok View Post
Maybe each of the seperate blasts can be directed in a certain way
( W)
Old 2008-11-14, 20:14   Link #39
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Maybe each of the seperate blasts can be directed in a certain way
Do they really need to be, though?
The whole purpose of carpet-bombing like that is to avoid aiming in the first place.
Old 2008-11-25, 21:03   Link #40
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

The new chapter speculation thread has had some mention of Usopp in a survivalist situation.
You know what I'm thinking:
Metal Gear Sogeki...

But seriously, this would be an excellent scenario for Usopp. Plus, it's just something different as opposed to the typical staight-forward fighting.

"It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

"Your playing small does not serve the world, there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

"We were all meant to shine as children do.

"It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone.

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.

"As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."