AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 8 14.55%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 30.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 23.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 21.82%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 9.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-13, 22:30   Link #81
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Waiting for ppl to photoshop this into Hyouka characthers

But most likely as with the novel it alluded, Eba holds all the key (literally)
Old 2012-06-14, 04:37   Link #82
Jaden

That mystery flick was pretty good. I mean well written, being so short yet so deep. Because it's so short, it makes me think every clue shown is somehow relevant, but I can't think of a reason for the arm to be severed.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:39   Link #83
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
That mystery flick was pretty good. I mean well written, being so short yet so deep. Because it's so short, it makes me think every clue shown is somehow relevant, but I can't think of a reason for the arm to be severed.
Guy was strong and had a death grip on the key to lock the door. Chop off hand to carry key outside to lock the door and toss it through the gap in the wall (refer to scene where Houtarou scans the room).

Cheers.
Old 2012-06-14, 13:04   Link #84
Jaden

Ok. Never really considered a death grip to be that powerful but it's not such a beautifully written story that it would withstand nitpicking. If I accept that it's easy enough to find the culprit.

Another point I'm not gonna nitpick about is that the keys seemed to be divided randomly and they arbitrarily decide to split up and search the mansion. It just means the murder was opportunistic.

Spoiler for Culprit:

For the series though, this film is just a plot device and the real mystery is whatever's going on with the writer and how the main characters are being played around. It's cool that the film contains a proper mystery, but it's a pretty bad one for the average TV viewer without the ability to pause the video and recheck things such as the floorplan (which had like 1 second of screentime)

Edit: Oh I guess I'm wrong because I just watched the next episode preview and..yeah. Damnit,wish I wouldn't have watched that. XD

Last edited by Jaden; 2012-06-14 at 13:25.
Old 2012-06-14, 14:17   Link #85
Forsaken_Infinity

Well well well, I could care less about the mystery but this episode made me feel so much like playing through an interesting RPG that it gets perfect points from me nonetheless. Being Oreki Houtarou isn't easy
Old 2012-06-15, 01:04   Link #86
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post
Waiting for ppl to photoshop this into Hyouka characthers

But most likely as with the novel it alluded, Eba holds all the key (literally)
Hahaha. I seem to be very eager to see this done as well.
Old 2012-06-16, 05:59   Link #87
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

I just want to comment on the Tarot symbol of Oreki. Fukube said Oreki is the Strength, and Chitanda said that Oreki is the Star. Though both are good symbols for Oreki, I cant help but notice that Chitanda chose the star. Normal people would definitely choose Strength for Oreki, since it definitely symbolizes most of Oreki's attitude (Self-control – Being solid – Patience – Compassion - Composure – Stability – Perseverance – Moderation - Kindness – Gentleness – Slowness – Softness - Serenity – Comprehension – Discipline – Inner strength). But Chitanda chose the Star ( Calmness - Free-flowing love - Trust - Tranquility - Peace of mind - Pure essence - Hope - Serenity - Inspiration - Generosity - Optimism - Joy - Faith - Regeneration -
Good will - Optimism - Harmony - Renewal of forces) which clearly indicates a feeling of closeness or should I say intimacy. Could this be a sign of romance from Chitanda? I wonder...
Old 2012-06-16, 09:22   Link #88
Skane
Anime Snark

My brain strains at the idea of Houtarou being "Optimism" and "Joy".

No, really.

Old 2012-06-16, 09:49   Link #89
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
My brain strains at the idea of Houtarou being "Optimism" and "Joy".

No, really.

It is a pretty hilarious, and "hard to square", idea from a viewer's perspective.

But in fairness, Eru's not 'hearing' everything that we viewers 'hear'. Take away all of the Oreki narration, and all of his dialogue when Eru is not on camera (i.e. many of his private chats with Satoshi), and Oreki becomes a much more mysterious figure.

I can see where Eru would view him as a "star". She is demanding of him, and ultimately he always gives in to her. And his Detective record thus far is pretty good - He might miss a detail or two, but he tends to be at least 95% right on the full picture he paints.

I can see this causing Eru to feel "trust", "tranquility", "hope", "serenity", "inspiration", "optimism", "joy", and "faith" when it comes to Oreki. And I could see her perceiving his helpfulness as "free-flowing love" and "generosity".

But yeah, Eru enthusiastically equating Oreki with the "Star" shows how deeply she admires him, and how she also has likely fallen in love with him. In her sparkling eyes, Oreki is the cool Sherlock Holmes, a generous hero who never fails to satiate her seemingly insatiable curiosity.

I suspect that once we near the end of Hyouka, one of two things will happen:

1. Oreki will finally lose patience with Eru, and hence she'll see that her idol is only human, with feet of clay. Then she'll likely learn to accept him for who he truly is, after overcoming her disappointment in him.

2. Oreki will be moved by Eru's admiration for him, and will want to become the man that she sees in him. Slowly, over time, Oreki really will become a "Star".

The first possibility is probably more realistic (and hence practical), but the second is more inspirational (and hence dramatic). But either of them could be very emotionally appealing and poignant if handled well.
Old 2012-06-16, 13:53   Link #90
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonhym View Post
I just want to comment on the Tarot symbol of Oreki. Fukube said Oreki is the Strength, and Chitanda said that Oreki is the Star. Though both are good symbols for Oreki, I cant help but notice that Chitanda chose the star. Normal people would definitely choose Strength for Oreki, since it definitely symbolizes most of Oreki's attitude (Self-control – Being solid – Patience – Compassion - Composure – Stability – Perseverance – Moderation - Kindness – Gentleness – Slowness – Softness - Serenity – Comprehension – Discipline – Inner strength). But Chitanda chose the Star ( Calmness - Free-flowing love - Trust - Tranquility - Peace of mind - Pure essence - Hope - Serenity - Inspiration - Generosity - Optimism - Joy - Faith - Regeneration -
Good will - Optimism - Harmony - Renewal of forces) which clearly indicates a feeling of closeness or should I say intimacy. Could this be a sign of romance from Chitanda? I wonder...
Interesting. She did say at some point that he reminded her of her uncle IIRC. Rather than closeness or intimacy, I'd say "Trust" and "Hope" and what she is looking for, which does not present in Strength, according to your list. Of course, a lot could go from there.
Old 2012-06-16, 18:42   Link #91
Arya

Well, I've enjoyed more these last two episodes, probably because there were other characters to interact with. Particularly Eru's friend, Irisu. I like that kind of character and finally we have someone who can stand out against our Oreki. Even if it is clear that he will overcome her. I liked how cautious they have been questioning and answering to each other. Like both knew that the real matter was somewhere else than in the simple unfinished film mystery. I guess that is the reason Oreki didn't make the obvious question. So I hope the next episode we will have some other confrontation between them.
Speaking of the tarots, the first thing I thought when Eru chose the star card for Oreki was something not related to the tarots. Oreki basically is the star of their club, it's implied that Irisu showed them the film to have his help. He is even the star of the show. Each mystery is solved by him. And he is the only one who needs to get out his shell (and the one who's developing as a character). At first it could seem a bit of a random connection, but then I remembered that the ED has a star, the polaris star, the one around which all the other stars apparently revolve. Like Oreki. It could even seem the laziest star among them (stars) like Oreki.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Closed Thread