AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-25, 18:09   Link #21
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune
I think you're talking about SmarterChild.
yea! but then it isnt working... why not?
is there an msnmessenger one?
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 21:23   Link #22
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
i have heard this from a friend, but apparently, there is a computer that has a screenname, and its run by A.I. (aritificial intelligence) do you know if this is true?
There isn't just one, there are a quite a few of them. You can set one up yourself actually. One of my students last semester made one (I think the SN was PurdueGuvna on AIM).

The reason why this sort of thing exists (other than just for fun) is it is an attempt to eventually pass the Turing test. For those unenlightened, Alan Turing published a psychology paper in 1950 entitled Computing Machinery and Intelligence. In this paper, Turing made the following claim:

Quote:
Turing held that computers would in time be programmed to acquire abilities rivalling human intelligence.

As part of his argument Turing put forward the idea of an 'imitation game', in which a human being and a computer would be interrogated under conditions where the interrogator would not know which was which, the communication being entirely by textual messages. Turing argued that if the interrogator could not distinguish them by questioning, then it would be unreasonable not to call the computer intelligent.
This 'imitation game' has been come to be known as the Turing test, and it is often quoted by researchers in artificial intelligence.

Did you learn something today? if you did give me +rep!

Last edited by Roots; 2004-10-26 at 03:07. Reason: For some reason I kept misspelling "Turing" :p
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 21:48   Link #23
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by animesuki rep failure
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Roots again.
I failed and to think...i thought i had spread enough rep around that i would be able to get you again...

btw...what was the result of the test? did the interrogator guess which was the machine?

*for fear of throwing the thread off topic more then i already did...just pm me the answer*
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 02:10   Link #24
StriderA
Watashi wa Kuragari desu.

Send a message via ICQ to StriderA Send a message via AIM to StriderA Send a message via MSN to StriderA Send a message via Yahoo to StriderA
The test is ongoing. There are actually contests held each year. There is actually a prize called the loebner prize that is offering $100,000 for the first computer to win an unrestricted turing test. Also, it was Alan Turing btw.

You can find lots more information at this page.

I'm still facinated by it.

Some other fun reading:
A list of logs from people talking to an elisa bot on aim

http://www.smarterchild.com/ Check out Smarterchild (as previously mentioned) and ask it about weather, news, and all kinds of stuff.
Old 2004-10-26, 09:03   Link #25
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
There are AI bots for ICQ too, i remember my friend having a 30 min conversation with one without noticing it was a bot lol

Im sure other IM applications have those too
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 09:27   Link #26
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcool
There are AI bots for ICQ too, i remember my friend having a 30 min conversation with one without noticing it was a bot lol

Actually the first time I encountered one my friend 'introduced me' to her. He said she was a psychology major at our school and he described her and said she had this really hot green dress (I had a good mental image going ). So then I started talking to her and I noticed that she was asking a lot of weird questions and saying weird things, but I thought to myself "oh, she's a psych major so I guess she's really into this kinda analytical stuff". After 20 minutes or so I thought to myself 'wait a minute', and then I asked her "Are you a computer?" and she said yes, so I'm like OMGWTFLMAOBBQ
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 10:33   Link #27
Lady Yanami
There's always a catch...

Send a message via AIM to Lady Yanami Send a message via MSN to Lady Yanami
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikimpulse
I have something that i want to ask who has a their instant messaging information on these forums. Do you really want someone out of the blue instant message you even thought they only know you on these forums. I know its kinda weird to ask, but if someone instant messaged you out of the blue, would you really be interested in talking to him/her???????

(P.S I only get buddy list names from people I know or have meet, so thats why i am asking this)

Honestly, me--myself, I don't mind at all.
If I happen to be on and some random person starts IM'ing me, I don't mind. Just as long as they remain nice and civil, doesn't bother me at all. Some good friendships can develop through just that, talking and such. Can't make new friends if you're not willing to talk to random people. Just think about your in person friends...at some point in your life, they were strangers to you and you took a chance and talked to them...outta the blue. And then became friends.

PS..I am using "you" as a general term for all people. Not just one individual

Lady Yanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 10:59   Link #28
sarky-sama

Send a message via AIM to sarky-sama Send a message via Yahoo to sarky-sama
I have no problems with people contacting me out of the blue via IM. Gives life that extra spice that one needs sometimes to get by from day to day....well as long as the person(s) talking do not get too annoying. In fact, I have had my cousin contact me out of the blue every so often under a different screen name, which left me scratching my head and going "Huh?!? Who are you?"
sarky-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 11:04   Link #29
Diplomat
Traceur

Send a message via AIM to Diplomat Send a message via MSN to Diplomat
unless they're climbing on the second floor and knocking on my window, i dont really think i have a problem with people messaging.

Dont be so anti social, TALK!
Diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 11:15   Link #30
gunner

messagin is all about metting strangers, if friend message you , you will already know the topic, some times i prefere to talk face to face, rather than messagin, but whit a stranger , things are diferent, nobody know's each other etc. .. it make's me laugh how most of the time the two people on the conversation are trying to impres each other ( suposing they'r strangers )
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote