AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-03-30, 11:21   Link #1
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Recommended free games?

I've recently started playing ADOM and Dungeon Master(and its clones) and find them much better than the games nowadays, can you recommend any good free single player games?

I find Dosbox and VDMS useful for playing those old abandoned games.
Don Eunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-03, 21:27   Link #2
baka
Apathy

Send a message via AIM to baka
i am also interested in open betas or some free games mmorpg mainly though but please don't say lineage 2
baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 02:35   Link #3
Iori Branford
UH OH SEI IS A KITTY

www.the-underdogs.org
www.soldat.pl
www.enemy-territory.com
www.nethack.org
www.cubeengine.com
Iori Branford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 05:39   Link #4
Ranko
Mech Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to Ranko Send a message via AIM to Ranko
If you don't mind some real old school gameing fun i would sugest looking up Muds thier usualy free and the program needed to play them is built into windows.

I myself play www.darkmists.org but there are many others out there and thier not all D&D based
Ranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 06:30   Link #5
animedudematt

gunbound is da best.

www.gunbound.net

or it might be

www.gunbound.org
animedudematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 12:50   Link #6
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

If you don't mind some military brainwashing, America's Army. As much as I don't like to admit it, the government made a great shooter and it's free. But playing this game gives me the urge to join the army...

Popcap has some fun, little, but extremely addicting games such as Bejeweled.

If you got a strange sense of humor, try Truck and Stair Dismount. This is where you have a dummy and a truck and you adjust various factors to try to do the most damage to the dummy when the truck moves. Or you push a dummy down flight of stairs to deal the most damage possible. You can post up your high scores on the net. Twisted fun.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 14:32   Link #7
baka
Apathy

Send a message via AIM to baka
yes i play the occasional mud "multi user dungeon" as well all the good games are old or korean now a days kiki
baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 14:00   Link #8
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
If you don't mind some military brainwashing, America's Army. As much as I don't like to admit it, the government made a great shooter and it's free. But playing this game gives me the urge to join the army...
I just gave the America's Army game a try. It's pretty darn good actually. Though a 700mb download (be warned 56kers, though it says you can pick up cd's at your local recruiter!!!). However, I had a completely different reaction than you did, Muir. It definitely made me even more sure I'd never join up. Those medic lectures did it for me. Any job in which I have to bandage my coworker's dark-blood-oozing stumps is not the job for me. Pretty fun game otherwise, though the training can be a bit boring/frustrating at times. I still can't get expert level on marksmanship so I can go to the advanced school, or perform a proper PLF in the live jump. I will though.

Other complaint is, it doesn't support my TNT2, though it seems to run alright anyway if I lower the detail levels. Nice sound though in the game.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 03:48   Link #9
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Here is http://www.adom.de considered the best Rogue-like RPG, its freeware and very small in size. Recommend you try it, ppl have been playing for years.

@ vs a-z
Don Eunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 04:50   Link #10
HoboGod
Necromancer

http://www.gamehippo.com <--- this site has tons of free games that kick ass

some of my favorites are:
Dink Smallwood: hullarious adventure rpg that you can choose to say nice things and don't hurt others or you can be a sadistic asshole and hurt people around you and say evil things. ^_^
ShadowFlare: another adventure rpg which is alot like diablo ii. kinda short, but this game is fun as hell to play.
Zelda Classic: a well-made clone of the original legend of zelda for NES.
D.R.O.D.: this is a puzzle game that is quite fun and challenging... and nicely genocidal.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 18:09   Link #11
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
[url]
Dink Smallwood: hullarious adventure rpg that you can choose to say nice things and don't hurt others or you can be a sadistic asshole and hurt people around you and say evil things. ^_^
wow. I remember Dink Smallwood! I played a demo of it waaaay back in the day when I had a subscription to PC Games magazine. Each magazine came with a nifty little demo disk. I used to prize these and play every demo through on it.

Anyway, what I played of it back then, I thought was pretty good.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 18:03   Link #12
Necrodeath

Yeah, Dink Smallwood rocks. I bought the full version (hard game, or it was when I played it ) and I never regretted it. The game was wicked ass easy to modify and you could easily enter your own graphics or other stuff. The game was buggy als hell though. I remember a house on the far right of the land, if you would walk to the right of the house, you could walk straight up the mountain (you won't be able to get up on the mountain normally) and if you kept walking on the mountain to the left, you would eventually meet the end boss, however he will be far too strong if you don't play through the game.
Anyway, I knew a great free MMORPG, but I can't seem to remember it's name right about now
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 17:40   Link #13
Aquillion

If you like roguelike RPGs like ADOM and Dungeon Crawl, then I highly recommend Gearhead. It's a freelance mecha- roguelike where you wander a post-apocolyptic world taking missions and improving your mech. It reminds me a bit of Fallout or Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception.

Or, if you like 3D mecha-fighting games, try Silver Knights. The webpage is in Japanese, but the game is in english, and the download link is easy to find... Unfortunately the game is in an .lzh file, so you'll need WinRAR or something else that can open .lzh files to play it. It's worth it, though. Silver Knights has a ton of interest mechs, as well as some odd things like fighter jets and such, and also has support for up to six players divided into two teams online. Oh, and the download is only 4 MB despite the decent 3D graphics.

Another neat top-down random-dungeon RPG game: Lost Labyrinth. It has pretty good graphics, a very interesting character creation system where you chose seven points worth of advantages (plus some disadvantages if you want), and gameplay that focuses more on survival and exploration than on simple combat. Very interesting.

For those who want something a bit wierder, try Bontago, where you balance blocks to build towers on a platform, racing against your opponents to extend your area of control and knock their towers down. It's a bit hard to describe, but check out those screenshots. And, furthermore, it has support for up to eight players online!

Finally, for those who like strategy games, know that Falcom has translated its games Vantage Master and Lord Monarch to english, ported them to the PC, and released them as free downloads from its website. Vantage Master is a fantasy/RPG strategy game where you're a summoner who calls forth elemental creatures; Lord Monarch is a very odd strategy game where the theme changes with every level. They're both worth playing.

EDIT: Oh, yes, I almost forgot. The politically-minded may want to check out the ASCII-based game Liberal Crime Squad, a humorous game where you lead a group of liberals trying to convert America to liberalism through a series of crimes. Play it or be first up against the wall when the revolution comes.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 11:02   Link #14
TPWombat

Aquillion!!!!!!

Thanks for the Gearheads link!

Bloody hell, loved Fallout, Crescent Hawk's Inception, and roguelike games - never come across this game before tho.

Heh, I have a few days off work, now I know what I will be doing with them.

Now to buy a few beers and SPEND THE WHOLE EVENING CREATING MY CHARACTER!!!!

Yehaar!!!

PS, I see from the Gearhead Guide that you are significantly involved in the development of this game, Kudos and Thank You, Sir. It warms my aged heart that there are people prepared to spend their time and creativity on a labour of love like this.
TPWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 08:20   Link #15
Iori Branford
UH OH SEI IS A KITTY

Tribes 1 and 2 just went freeware at www.fileplanet.com.

Elder Scrolls: Arena went freeware some weeks ago at
http://www.elderscrolls.com/download...oads_games.htm
Iori Branford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 08:41   Link #16
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
www.conqueronline.com

Quite good MMORPG. BUT, two negative things; the characters jump like they would have a leap-attack(like the one in Diablo2)(of course you can still just run if you want, but they run too damn slow to be patient with). Second, the servers are pretty bad, often lagging, and pretty often you just get disconnected. But give it a try, maybe their better now(played it a month ago).
Wilcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 10:11   Link #17
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I'm suprised noone has recommended this game yet...

http://www.freewaregaming.com/aa/liero.html

Leiro! The greatest (and possibly most violent) worm battling game ever!

Remember Worms? Well, this is essentially a Worms clone with one major difference, instead of being turnbased, it's real-time. This makes Liero much more fun and frantic than the original Worms game. There is a total of forty weapons to master in Liero, each with its own advantages and drawbacks. There are four different play modes: Kill 'em All, Game of Tag, Capture the Flag and Simple CTF.

There aren't that many levels in Liero, but thanks to the included level-editor you can download more levels from the unofficial homepage, or you can make your own. The only disappointment with Liero is that the CPU player is very poor.

All in all Liero is a great game for taking out some aggression, or just for having fun!

Another good site for the game is: http://www.kgivler.com/liero/
It's no longer updated, but it includes info on how to run the game on XP, Unix and Linux based systems. Yes, it is a DOS game. ^_-
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 11:31   Link #18
AnimeFangirl

If you're under the age of 12, you might enjoy Neopets.