AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 127 57.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 59 26.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 11.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 1.82%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.91%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.91%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-13, 07:14   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Episode 1 Discussion / Poll [2006 TV ep. 2]

Welcome to the discussion thread for Suzumiya Haruhi (also know as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya).

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Novel or Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Novel / Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=SOS]What does it stand for?[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for SOS:
Old 2006-04-13, 09:27   Link #2
Oberon

Got a perfect 10 from me. I went over the episode several times now and I still get captured by the great direction and pacing, comedic timing, the quirky characters and the wonderful animation. Favourite scene of the episode: Kyon's head slam. His groan of pain has me grinning every time.
Old 2006-04-13, 09:31   Link #3
Jumper
Shimurai

And another 10 from me for this Episode. After the first Ep i wasn't sure if I will like this Anime, but the second Ep was really great.
After this Ep i have put Suzumiya as my No.1 Anime of the new Season. (even better than Nana and funier than School Rumble 2)
Old 2006-04-13, 09:47   Link #4
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Never gave a 10 to an ep rating. Even the mighty cool archer's episode get a 9... Guess theres would always be a first o_o
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2006-04-13, 10:09   Link #5
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Whee! Suzumiya Haruhi finally got a proper forum!

10/10 over here!
to recap:
Haruhi's introduction of her random/aggressive personality sold me the first time, I've never been this excited about a character before solely based on two episodes.
Kyon recieving the brunt end of Haruhi's creativity sold me the second time. Actually it's more of the interaction between Kyon and Haruhi that won the day
Mikuru and the tortured muppet sounds sold me the third time. Simply could not stop laughing and after reading what Haruhi was saying while harassing Mikuru, was incapacitated with laughter.

Hmm maybe I shouldn't have rated the episode so high, since it seems that it will be getting better and better as episodes are aired...
Old 2006-04-13, 10:31   Link #6
Keitarou
Ninja

Well yeah, I tend to not give early episodes high ratings but Suzumiya Haruhi is an exception. I can't remember the last time a show made me this hyped about. Not even last year's Zettai Shounen and Kamichu! or School Rumble were on such a level. :)

The second episode finally is able to shine in all its beauty. The animation is stunning and lightyears ahead of most other shows. The high production values were already apparent in the first episode but you could only see the real thing in the last minute and the ending. This time you've got it for 24 minutes on the screen. Kyoto Animation banzai!

Spoiler:

Anyway, favourite scenes for episode two:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-13, 11:22   Link #7
sophismata
いいえ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou
Well yeah, I tend to not give early episodes high ratings but Suzumiya Haruhi is an exception. I can't remember the last time a show made me this hyped about. Not even last year's Zettai Shounen and Kamichu! or School Rumble were on such a level.
I understand what you mean; this series has generated new levels of anticipation for me, and breathed some life into what I feared was becoming a stale industry.
Old 2006-04-13, 11:45   Link #8
RedFrame
A talking white tiger :O
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to RedFrame
how did Shuffle! get stuck on Suzumiya
Spoiler:

Old 2006-04-13, 11:50   Link #9
sophismata
いいえ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrame
how did Shuffle! get stuck on Suzumiya
Spoiler:
It's an easter egg... And it's not shuffle per-sé, as I recall, but a magazine featuring shuffle.

Last edited by sophismata; 2006-04-13 at 23:13.
Old 2006-04-13, 12:41   Link #10
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophismata
It's an easter egg; KyoAni are responsible for both works. And it's not shuffle per-sé, as I recall, but a magazine featuring shuffle.

Uh, actually asread (whom I found out that they also did Beyond the Clouds) did the animation for Shuffle!, not KyoAni.
Old 2006-04-13, 13:03   Link #11
Shadowscar
Reviewer of all anime

This episode basiclly was the gate way to a world of unlimited possibilities, i really cant wait to see were this series goes but more so

I love how in this episode she basiclly kidnapped that girl (sorry dont know there names yet but i will soon i hope lol) to be part of the group, and hoping she does more strange yet amusing things in the near future
Old 2006-04-13, 13:22   Link #12
Yashiro

More awesomeness. I really do love this series. Espeically Mikuru.
Old 2006-04-13, 13:29   Link #13
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
10 from me!

Two words descibe this episode: HILL-ARIOUS (yes, I know that isn't really two words ) Kyon is an awesome narrator!

Haruhi = teh hotness!
Old 2006-04-13, 14:17   Link #14
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

I absolutely LOVE how Mikuru hiccoughs when she gets scared.

However...

Right here, Right now,
Danno's gonna tell a little sad tale to,
to all you...
all you people out there...
Haruhi is my master
she has always been

She tells me what to do
She buys my Metallica records for me
and sometimes I think...

Thank you very much

Haruhi is my master
Old 2006-04-13, 14:34   Link #15
Akuma-sama
Purr, good kitty...

Ok. I've watched this anime. I've stopped laughing (somewhat... I think...-gisg
..ok, back, sorry, I just remembered the ca 14605468
back again. Seriously this time... and I think I just broke my numpad.
ANYWAY.

This anime is TEH funnies on SO many levels... episode 1 was great, if a bit confusing (and funny in a "Manos, the hand of fate" way), but episode 2 really won.
Back in Shuffle, I simply loved how Rin's voice could go down two octaves and deliver dry comments for hilarious results; I can perfectly understand why his seyuu was chosen to be Kyon. He's perfect for the role; and it's not often I say something like that about a male seyuu!

As for the other characters... Haruhi is a total hoot. She's honestly the strangest Anime girl I've ever seen... and after Air, Mahou Sensei Negima and Lain, that's saying a lot! I absolutely like her randomness; she feels like a stubborn, somewhat agressive Luna Lovegood.

And I Love Luna Lovegood. So that's a good thing.

Mikuru... I kinda pity her; if I'd been her, I would have totally been freaked if
Spoiler for since it's the first time I actually mention something happening in the episode:

As for Yuki... I'm sure her Ayanami-ness will hook on to me pretty soon.

The episode 1 OP was painful, but the real one is pretty damn good.
The ED is excellent, though, especially for the animation; dancing Haruhi FTW!
Animation... general Kyoto Animation goodness, so nothing but flawless praise there, hope they can keep it up.
...and that's about it. I'll DEFINITELY be stalking this anime, like Haruhi after an Alien.
Old 2006-04-13, 15:20   Link #16
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
Got a perfect 10 from me. I went over the episode several times now and I still get captured by the great direction and pacing, comedic timing, the quirky characters and the wonderful animation. Favourite scene of the episode: Kyon's head slam. His groan of pain has me grinning every time.
That and Haruhi's reasons for kidnapping Mikuru are what sealed the deal for me and Kyon's commentary was just too damn funny.
Old 2006-04-13, 16:22   Link #17
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

The glimpse of Haruhi at the end of ep1 hooked me, and this ep slammed my funny bone to itty bitty pieces! Just listening to ultra-enthusiastic Haruhi speak is a narcotic in itself... I don't know what else to say!

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-13, 16:29   Link #18
Cyz
"Show it to me"

aaw! poor mikuru, she got "abducted"
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-04-13, 17:42   Link #19
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashiro
Espeically Mikuru.
You me both, she's too cute for words. This is already my #1 currently airing anime and I'm hoping it's going to stay at #1. Great animation, characters, comedy, it's got it all. I so totally love this already

This is only about the 3rd time I've given something a perfect 10.

edit: Ok, so I don't feel like changing my Alice avatar, but I certainly just found something for a new sig.

edit2: Seriously, they couldn't have picked a better person to play Kyon. Tomokazu Sugita has the perfect voice for those narrations.
Old 2006-04-13, 17:54   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

First time I've *ever* scored an early episode a "10" (I tend to think of this as ep1 and the first one as ep0 ... as apparently so do the creators).

I'm more a fan of Suzumiya but Mikuru makes the cutest little squeak noises, my favorite being when Suzumiya tells Kyon to grab Mikuru's breasts. I can't even pretend to mimic those noises.

"Do I know you from somewhere?" ... it is going to be very interesting to watch this play out if some of the spoil/rumors I'm trying to avoid hearing are true.
I just hope the series doesn't go ultra-tragic ... the chaotic energy being projected is just really uplifting.