AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 36 40.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 38.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 12.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.14%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-19, 16:20   Link #81
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
Sure, if the perpetrator is genuinely remorseful. I think forgiveness is something to be sought and earned, but that's me.... I'm one who prefers to assess all sides and details objectively, and I think there's a lot to consider in these instances.
Great post. I'd certainly be less ready to forgive someone whom the authors hadn't manipulated me into sympathizing with -- although I note that the manipulation didn't take for a lot of people here. But that doesn't mean that forgiveness isn't best. Like I said, forgiveness doesn't mean letting them continue.

As for "genuinely remorseful," that reminds me too much of the fake confessions that are an integral part of the present-day Chinese justice system. I prefer to think that simple forgiveness may help elicit real remorse and change later.

Mainly, though, I don't want to treat characters in popular fiction as if they were models for real-world actions. I prefer to keep it as a fantasy world.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-19, 16:33   Link #82
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Yep, forgiveness does not mean letting them go scott free. Punishment should reflect what society deems adequate for the crime.

Oh Takeshi, can we borrow your sword now?

So what anime is popular on TV now? Didn't Skane say that this wasn't?
Old 2007-05-19, 16:55   Link #83
Nemesis2124

Spoiler for ep7:
Old 2007-05-19, 17:07   Link #84
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis2124 View Post
Spoiler for ep7:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-19, 17:12   Link #85
Icerack

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-19, 17:16   Link #86
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
Spoiler:

That's true.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-19, 17:34   Link #87
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerack View Post
Spoiler:
its soo creepy that i can see that working
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-19, 18:38   Link #88
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
...So what anime is popular on TV now? Didn't Skane say that this wasn't?
On TV, the top show of the new season is Gegege no Kitarou. That's the only new show in the top ten. Other most-watched new shows, as far as we have info, are Blue Dragon, Lovely Complex and Toward Terra. All of these are daytime or early evening shows. Of course, long-running kids' shows like Sazae-san totally dominate the ratings.

The top new show on the 2channel board (i.e., among otaku) is Nanoha StrikerS, then Lucky Star, then Gurren Laggen, Hayate, Xenoglossia, and Ookiku Furikabutte. Gurren Laggen and Hayate are daytime shows, but the others are late-night shows.

There are threads in the General Anime section with more details about TV Ratings and 2channel popularity.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-19, 20:04   Link #89
Nemesis2124

Spoiler for ep7:
Old 2007-05-19, 20:49   Link #90
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Woah, woah. Last Boss? When did sola become a Shounen series? Continuing on this light-hearted track, these revelations about Aono makes me wonder how the heck will Yorito "score" with Aono in the game. Especially if some of the theories about her being an unhinged murderess is true.

Would the protagonist's internal thoughts go something like this?

"Hmm... nee-san will break my ankles if I choose to go out with Mana tonight. Should I-

a) Sneak out of the house.
b) Keep nee-san company.
c) Knock nee-san out with medication."
~~~~ ~~~~

Are there going to be "Bad Ends" like the infamous "School Days" game? Given that Aono has the second-biggest prominence after Matsuri in the promotional material, I am fairly confident that there is actually an Aono-route in the upcoming game. So how the heck will that play out?

At this point, there is very little material for a turning point in Aono's redemption (without resorting to self-sacrifice). I can sympathise with Aono, and I feel that it is okay to do so. I will only be worried if a person empathises with Aono.

I am just at a loss on how Aono can have a genuinely happy ending at this point (without resorting to plot handwaving).

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-19, 21:21   Link #91
Nemesis2124

@Skane

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-19, 21:28   Link #92
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I think it's still too early to peg Aono as the "bad guy" until we get some answers as to what exactly is going on with Yorito. Shows like this love to play with viewers heads, pointing them in one direction and then dropping something different on them in the next episode. It's possible the scenes where just shown like that to give you the wrong impression.

Sola is certainly undernoticed/appreciated, but that's not a bad thing. I certainly didn't expect much when it first aired, but each episode continued to surprise and well...here we are. I think Omni had a similar view when he did his synopsis of the spring shows.
Old 2007-05-19, 21:38   Link #93
orion

But this is ep. 7 out of 13 with 2 additonal DVD only episodes. They can't play with us for too much longer and have a real resolution. Pretty soon they have to answer those questions and fill in the plot holes to get to a resolution by the end of the TV run. This should be the last episode to mess with our heads imo.

@Skane

Spoiler:

Thanks Kaoru Chujo for the info.

Last edited by orion; 2007-05-19 at 21:48.
Old 2007-05-19, 21:48   Link #94
Icerack

I sure hope ep 13 isn't gonna be a cliffhanger leaving us to wait for the DVD's to come out.
Old 2007-05-19, 21:51   Link #95
Nemesis2124

@orion

That's true. Though by the looks of it, all major conflicts and the majority of plot-points are in place, so episode 7 did it's job as the middle episode quite well. Only thing left now, outside of a few necessary flashbacks, is to watch the characters specific situations run their course alongside the major themes.

And on another note, if either of those extra episodes end up being the true final episode, then the wait is honestly a price I'm willing to pay. The more meat to this show, the better. =)
Old 2007-05-19, 21:51   Link #96
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Spoiler for n_n:
for advice seek guidance from: Keichi Maebara 555-K-I-L-L
Old 2007-05-20, 02:35   Link #97
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

You know, Skane - that question about Aono's path in the game really got me thinking, and i agree - i don't see how in the world Yorito could "score" with her at this point. Unless she never goes bonkers if you go after her path and choose not to run after Matsuri for example. I think "School Days notorious ending style" is indeed a possibility.

And this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
At this point, there is very little material for a turning point in Aono's redemption (without resorting to self-sacrifice). I can sympathise with Aono, and I feel that it is okay to do so. I will only be worried if a person empathises with Aono.
deserves a cookie. Too bad i can't give you one yet, as usual
Old 2007-05-20, 02:45   Link #98
Telliamed
sensei no pet

This episode is why I was holding back on the 10 ratings. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I can't hate Aono. Well, really I can't hate anybody, in a pacifistic zen-like way. But all this talk of wanting to punish Aono for hurting Matsuri and Yorito... There's no need. Aono already has been justly punished: Because of what she's done, Yorito will never love her the way she wants him to. She created her own hell the moment she decided to manipulate Yorito's mind. That's why I feel sorry for her.

I was wondering if we'd get to see Nagasaki's famous mountain lifts in this show. (Sola is a secret a promotional tool for the tourism board.) Also another good shot of the megane bridge. And now I now why Yorito and Aono live in such a large house -- to store all of Aono's clothes. (So how come Matsuri had to borrow from Mana? This could be Matsuri's secret from episode 3. And the real reason Aono kicked her out.)

More flashback fashions. The sandals they're wearing have flat soles. And it looks like Aono is wearing stockings?

When I saw the milk carton I thought there'd be a picture of Matsuri with the words "Have you seen this girl?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But this is ep. 7 out of 13 with 2 additonal DVD only episodes. They can't play with us for too much longer and have a real resolution. Pretty soon they have to answer those questions and fill in the plot holes to get to a resolution by the end of the TV run. This should be the last episode to mess with our heads imo.
I'd say the last episode to mess with our heads will be #13. Normally it'd be #12, but I figure the happily-ever-after episode will be on the disc.

The question isn't if we'll have to deal with more cranial knots, but whether any of the next 5 episodes will give us a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis2124 View Post
Spoiler for ep7:
Like Skane said, I don't think there are "bosses" in erogames. Maybe Tsukihime? But I'm in the middle of playing that, so no spoilers please.

And I'm really thinking I need to find a copy of School Days. Is it wrong for me to want to play a game for the bad endings? (I keep killing myself in the aforementioned game because Ciel-sensei is ~so~ cute.)
Old 2007-05-20, 03:03   Link #99
Icerack

Quote:
You know, Skane - that question about Aono's path in the game really got me thinking, and i agree - i don't see how in the world Yorito could "score" with her at this point. Unless she never goes bonkers if you go after her path and choose not to run after Matsuri for example. I think "School Days notorious ending style" is indeed a possibility.
Though it seems that Yorito's is most definitely going for Matsuri, they could pull a "Canvas 2" here.
Old 2007-05-20, 03:08   Link #100
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
I can't hate Aono. Well, really I can't hate anybody, in a pacifistic zen-like way. But all this talk of wanting to punish Aono for hurting Matsuri and Yorito... There's no need. Aono already has been justly punished: Because of what she's done, Yorito will never love her the way she wants him to. She created her own hell the moment she decided to manipulate Yorito's mind. That's why I feel sorry for her.
Feel sorry for her? She is fine with manipulating Yorito in to killing the person he actually likes because of a jealous fit, and i am supposed to feel sympathy for her just because she won't be getting the cake in the end ?

"I tried mindraping/framing and murder out of jealousy, but things didn't turn out my way. Poor me " < This is basically the Aono's situation i am supposed to feel sorry for.

As things stand now, i am incapable of feeling sorry for her, and she has dug herself a hole in that aspect. The moment you are ready to kill other people just to get what you want, you can stop looking for compassion in my way. Nothing short of self-sacrifice can redeem her in my eyes as of now. Actions speak louder than words, and attempted murder by manipulation Yorito is about as loud as it can get.

*goes to find a rusty, sunlight-imbued pitchfork*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerack
Though it seems that Yorito's is most definitely going for Matsuri, they could pull a "Canvas 2" here.
I wasn't all that surprised by how things played out in Canvas, but that is a discussion for Canvas thread. Here... i am drawing blank. Things are getting much more darker and f*cked up than they ever were in Canvas, which is a normal romance/drama.