AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-06-11, 06:17   Link #1
pinomustfly

Censorship law - can someone describe?

Hello. I was rewatching 3x3 Eyes this week, and to get some information, i searched the anime up on Wikipedia. There, I saw there were once plans to make a long TV-series based on the series, but it was not made because of censorship laws. What do these laws say?

Quote:
A TV series [3x3 eyes] was being considered at around the time the manga ended (2002), however, due to the then-recent Japanese censorship laws, it was not made.
And what are the "rules" companies have to follow in order to make anime generally. Regarding censorship etc. What kind of stuff is not allowed on TV/DVD?
pinomustfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 08:20   Link #2
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

This is something I'm also interested in finding out.
Old 2006-06-11, 08:27   Link #3
Ending

Didn't even know they had become so bland in Japan. Really surprising, since I had thought they were more relaxed in Asia about things like nudity and gore. Double the previous reply.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 09:35   Link #4
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Is there 'extreme' nudity at all? Because the only reason I could think of is that it contained either that or graphic sex, both of which are censored by law. I mean, with a series like Elfen Lied being released, surely no amount of gore is enough for it to be censored.

I've always found that somewhat strange, like most censorship laws. Things like extreme blood, gore and violence can be dipicted without restriction, yet a brief shot of someone's genitals requires a censor.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 09:37   Link #5
eggplant
Eggplant

The reason why the TV anime 3x3 Eyes fell through was simply because of its namesake. The depiction of the three eyes.

Japanese TV broadcasting codes are sensitive when dealing with politically incorrect and potentially discriminatory terms and expressions, while lax when it comes to violence and nudity.

The point at issue would be Pai=Sanjiyan's third eye, which can be construed by broadcasters to be a physical abnormality, notwithstanding that her origins could have derived from Hindu deities, leaving open the interpretation on discriminatory features.

The crackdown started in the 1980s, where many classic anime and tokusatsu (live action) works were either censored (edited out) or shelved into dark history. The popular Youkai Ningen Bemu was no exception as the protagonists had only 3 digits. The 2006 remake is "politically correct" with 5 fingers intact in their humanoid form.

Even the Disney animation The Hunchback of Notre Dame was retitled The Bells of Notre Dame for the same reason.

Perhaps this was also the reason why Honoka's third eye in the currently airing The Third is not in the form of a human eye. But then again, broadcasting codes are quite subjective, as the rule does not necesarily apply to semi-regular characters such as Tenshinhan in Dragon Ball Z.

It surely is baffling when people can be decapitated in anime but can't have four fingers.

I'm going to keep my post limited to the question of topic, as I'll probably go overboard with other broadcasting codes.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 09:53   Link #6
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

That makes sense. I guess it only really applies to humans who have abnormalities though, since there are a miriad of weirdass creations not just in Japan but throughout the globe in various forms of entertainment that don't receive censoring. Because they're not human in origin it's perceived as ok?

edit: After reading another thread here, I've just had Midori no Hibi brought to mind. How does something like that fit in with the whole censorship issue? I wonder because Seiji's hand is basically transmogrified into a young girl, and if that doesn't count as 'abnormal' then what the hell does count? Just seems strange that a third eye is censorship material, but having your hand change into a young girl isn't.

Disclaimer: I loved Midori no Hibi, not bashing it at all, it's just a handy (lol) example

Last edited by Radiosity; 2006-06-11 at 10:10.
Old 2006-06-11, 13:00   Link #7
Ending

@ eggplant

That can't be true simply because that would censor out pretty much everything, starting from a boy able to change gender when splashed with cold water. And if it wouldn't censor everything, then it would be selective censorship, which is the same as random terrorism.
Old 2006-06-11, 13:05   Link #8
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Hmm... in Ranma though, he is still fully human even when changed to female mode, there's not technically anything to censor there.
Old 2006-06-11, 15:27   Link #9
Ending

But isn't the idea to censor out everything abnormal, like in the case of the hunchback? His back might be "physical", but it is the idea of it being abnormal that causes censorship. Likewise a man turning into a girl is as abnormal as a human having an affair with an goddess.
Old 2006-06-11, 15:36   Link #10
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I suppose it just depends on what you define as being abnormal. I don't consider Ranma abnormal as such, because as I said he's still fully human, all present and correct, albeit female now. A third eye, using that as example again, is only likely in extreme cases of radiation (lol, the fish Blinky in Simpsons for example), so I'd see that as being completely abnormal because it doesn't exist naturally within nature.

Abominable, abhorrent, abnormal. They all have negative connotations often associated with loathing and disgust, and while turning into a female might be strange, it's by no means disgusting, as such (hell, I wonder how many men have actively fantasised about this very thing? ).